Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Bring back the dog rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

foobardog posted:

The Electoral College takes an amendment, I'm pretty sure, and I think House size is a full Code change, so the Senate has to pass it too.

The electoral college could be nullified by the NPVIC, but how to get every state to pass it and continue to abide by it when it costs them power is left as an exercise for the reader.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DrSunshine posted:

Thread newbie here, I wanted to chime in to ask -- I've heard some folks bandying about the claim that the Senate will be increasingly hard to take going forward / expressing doubt that the Democrats will be able to retake it ever. I was curious, what's the analysis behind that?

Population trends in the US have Democrats concentrating in cities and the sparsely populated areas of the country becoming more Republican. However, since all states have equal representation in the Senate and not all of them have large cities where this is happening, more Senate seats are trending red than are trending blue. It's a sort of implicit natural gerrymander that is expected to lead to Dem senators from urbanized states being elected by huge margins but being outnumbered by GOP senators from rural states with low total voters.

It's not really clear what can be done about this since state boundaries are effectively immutable and there's no good way to stop this migration- rural red states are simply not attractive places to live for the mobile generations.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 7, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Paradoxish posted:

I'm also thinking that 2018 is pretty drat near peak anti-Trump

Only if the economy continues to perform at this level for the next two years.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

my bony fealty posted:

If you don't like PPJ tweet dumps just scroll past them lol

Just reverse that Javascript someone posted to delete all posts with outside content. Make this thread into an endless uninterrupted screaming match 100% of the time instead of 99%.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ginette Reno posted:

It would be interesting to see if Republicans block new supreme court nominees in 2020 assuming a Democrat win. Let's say Dems win 2020, RBG retires a few months later. Do the Republicans have the balls to block the nominee of a newly appointed Democratic president?

...yes? Last time they did it they captured the entire federal government for two years, where's the incentive not to? It's safe to assume they'll do anything that isn't straight up illegal, and anything that is if they can lock it in before a court stops them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

sean10mm posted:

This severely understates what happened. No new law at all can be passed without the approval of the House. It is also where all spending and revenue legislation originates. The Democrats can 100% kill ANY proposed GOP legislation now.

It also means they control appropriations and budget, so the wall is 100% dead now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Even if you downgrade it to "a path to regaining your vote opened up where there was no path before" that's a pretty big win.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tibalt posted:

It also helps to contextualize this election as a couple of paragraphs in a 2120 history text book

in a chapter titled "Antebellum Politics" :haw:

That textbook is just going to be the words "WORSHIP THE HUMUNGUS" over and over for 400 pages.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SavageBastard posted:

Did everyone catch earlier where Trump ramblingly offered to pass Democratic House legislation with Senate Dems + whatever Repubs he could wrangle so long as Dems didn't investigate him?

Is the carrot to the stick of "if you investigate me I'll have the senate investigate you"?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The same qanon who thought last night that Trump had fatally betrayed them by failing to keep the House?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FizFashizzle posted:

half assing his spray tan.

The can ran out halfway through but the button only summons diet cokes so there was nothing to be done about it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Koalas Massacre posted:

What happened here I missed it

Watch the tweet quoted two posts up.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TheKingofSprings posted:

1) Trump is very much shook right now, correct?

Extremely.

quote:

2) How on earth did the Senate majority grow?

There is no simple answer to this other than that the fever of right-wing populism has not yet broken. Limiting damage in the Senate always involved longshots and the left used all its luck on the House and state races this year.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cheetah7071 posted:

Sessions' replacement will have firing power over Mueller, right? It won't stick with Rosenstein?

Yes. Rosenstein was only overseeing the probe because Sessions had recused himself. The new acting AG will not have this conflict.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cheetah7071 posted:

It's not entirely impossible that we get some sort of infrastructure bill over the next two years (possibly part of the budget)

I would be astonished by any other meaningful bills being passed, other than status-quo budgets

That reminds me, when's the next time we have to worry about the debt limit?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Condiv posted:

breaking down of echo chambers is the purpose

cacophony chambers are not necessarily an improvement

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I would love to know why Kemp was only enjoined from overseeing the election a few days ago as opposed to, say, shortly after declaring his candidacy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

pocket pool posted:

I thought the GA governor race was already going to a runoff? Isn’t Kemp stepping down as SOS good?

He's stepping down to become governor, meaning he considers the election issue settled in his favor.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ensconce RBG in the Golden Throne imo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Someone impeach this man

The cats will take care of themselves, soon he won't have enough hands to keep doing that

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pollyanna posted:

Is there any chance of the GOP-won races on Tuesday getting recounted and resulting in a Dem win?

There are a couple unresolved but don't hang your hat on this, it's an extremely slim chance.

mcmagic posted:

No it doesn't. Sessions was fired, he didn't resign.

According to the criteria set out in the relevant laws, he resigned. If you want to contest the laws or argue the philosophical definitions of fired vs resigned, file suit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

my bony fealty posted:

There have been a few of these and they all crash and burn spectacularly lol

What is their plan for the "95% of people who sign up will be unattractive male losers" problem?

Those will only be 50% of the site. The other 50% will be trolls.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Framboise posted:

Is there a way I can read this thread for the sake of rapid news updates from people who are obsessively checking it but not have to sift through all the slap fights? This is why I quit the Trump thread last time I was around it, christ.

In the third post after the OP there is a Javascript snippet that will strip out every post that does not contain offsite content.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nevvy Z posted:

Hard to be alarmed by an event everyone knew was going to happen within 2 months.

That's the point of the article- it's not alarming on its own because it happened with advance warning, but it should be alarming because many such events with no one becoming alarmed will result in the end of democracy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Brony Car posted:

That's a good thread, but what is with the "It's time to talk about ________," headline format that seems so popular on social media.

I guess it gets the clicks, but it annoys me. I'm a grumpy old man and that turn of phrase reminds me of someone trying to lecture me.

I'd rather they do a short intro to their thread than having the first tweet be 1/3 of a complete thought tbh

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GreyjoyBastard posted:

the legality of applying this to asylum seekers is, let's say, questionable

we'll see how the inevitable court cases play out

*intake of breath to say verboten catchphrase*

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

nine-gear crow posted:

I want to be a part of the Tuckerpocalypse too :smith:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The apocarlypse

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Groovelord Neato posted:

it was super embarrassing for a thread full of the supposedly politically literate.

Just imagine what this thread would be like if it had inappropriately spiked up instead and spent the whole rest of the evening going down.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Crow Jane posted:

If there isn't someone in the House who puts a whoopie cushion on Fartenberry's chair every day between now and the end of his term, this country is hosed.

I'm just waiting for it to show up in a chyron, accidentally or otherwise.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Jeff Sessions joined the resistance when he took his first drag on that suicide joint

Groovelord Neato posted:

what kemp is doing in georgia and scott is trying in florida are worse than firing sessions and it's insane that isn't what people are getting worked up about to this degree.

I think there's a perception that those are Florida/Georgia's problem and people outside those states can't do anything but wait and see. The DOJ is a national issue.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lote posted:

Dennis Hof won his race for state legislature so that was money well spent.

Serious question- what happens with this seat now?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm going to vote so hard right that the country becomes hard left through integer overflow

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Deptfordx posted:

Wait. Isn't it their unvaccinated kids that are all into hugs that are likely to have the problems in this scenario?

If they hug a healthy vaccinated person yes, if they hug an immunocompromised person no. That's why vaccinations are so important, there are people for whom they aren't effective for legitimate reasons.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Crabtree posted:

maybe we should just kill the internet and start over.

Repeal section 230 of the DMCA, which would have the same practical effect.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Wouldn't reversing Citizens United for good require a Constitutional amendment?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tibalt posted:

I dunno, between the abuse of reconciliation and removing the filibuster on SCOTUS nominees, I think it's effectively dead anyway.

We'll see if Schumer pulls the trigger on killing the legislative filibuster when the Democrats have a second bill they want to pass. No reason to do it if they don't take the Senate, keep the house, or win the presidency.

He won't have that choice to make if we don't take the senate, you need a majority vote to enact that change.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Chilichimp posted:

Why would anyone still be playing League, slamming their dick/eterus into a door for 60 minutes and lose because one of your team mate can't jungle properly and left because his mom got home?

Play HOTS and don't waste an hour of your time for an L.

Sounds like perfect preparation for being a dem house member in a primarily gop government tbh

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

fishing with the fam posted:

Yeah, but he wouldn't have had to lie had they not trapped him.

Yeah it's just another instance of the "if I lost something was unfair" mindset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

"What are you gonna do, indict me?" --Quote from man indicted