Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
We posted in comic sans and bathed in pastel
We weren't always chill, but it was pretty swell
Games or weed or food or leftist posts
Always a good place to detail a roast

But you know the sun's settin' fast
And just like they say, nothing good ever lasts
Well, go on now and kiss it goodbye
But now I've got no one
To tell that I'm high
Go on now and say goodbye to our thread, to our thread
Can't you see the koos coming down on our thread, on our thread
Goodnight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Yo, I got somethin to say
gently caress the mods, coming straight from USPOL
A shitposter from cool chat central
They took our pastel colors, and our comic sans
Cuz they lack the authority to mod in b-y-o-b
gently caress that poo poo, 'cause we ain't the ones
For a mod motherfucker with a star and buttons
To be probing on and thrown in cat jail
We can go post-for-post in an angry email
Jealous of us cuz of our cool weed thread
Getting mad about what mellow seas said
Closing our thread for a lack of decorum
Makin us post in other sub-forums
You'd rather see me D&D postin
Than me and Lorenzo whining bout discendo
Beat a post timer easily
And when I'm finished, check the colony
To find out the cause of the probation
Rule subsection, violation
I don't know if they cops or what
Getting mad cuz sometimes we go nuts
And on the other hand, when they post they ain't no fun
But don't let it be a c-spam and D&D one
'Cause they'll probe ya, and say you're dumb
Commie mods showing out for the dem one
Jurgis will swarm
On any motherfucker overseeing a forum
Just 'cause I'm from the CCCC
Punk moderators are afraid of me, huh
A bad poster feeling like a grump
And when I'm finished, it's gonna be a helldump
Of mods sweating in D&D
Yo, ... where's projecthalaxy?

:colbert:

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

I'm using the bathroom at work so I don't have time, but "purp an yellow purple an yellow" is right there.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

World Famous W posted:

thats salvia, not weed

I swear doing a gravity bong hit of Salvia knocked me off the rails I was put on at a young age. How could my insignificant self-centered concerns be weighty enough to bring me down after experiencing my own morality and one-ness with the cycle?

Can't smoke weed at the moment because I've got trivia coming up and weed makes me less fun for such things.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

I'm re-rolling Knight and pumping everything into ADP until it doesn't feel like I'm wading through tar with a broken leg, Cleric was a mistake. Robes are cool tho but tbh you look so gnarly as an undead in this one that I don't think I'll be wearing armor until I find something cooler. Can never go wrong with a Broadsword even if I'm more of a Greatsword guy myself

The balder side sword is a lightsaber when you magic weapon it. How do people manage to play other builds?

I feel like that is dark souls 2 but it leads to my larger argument: why isn't every game about the balder side sword?

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Management realized the forums were being unfairly deprived of the best posters, because we'd all settled into a pastel tower to gaze out over the kingdom. They had to tear down our works so that we might raise all the other subforums up as well. As detailed in the prophecy.

10+ hours til I can smoke of a weed, but that's work for ya. I could get away with smoking at work, but it takes the enjoyment out of it if I'm just high all the time. Weed is how I know I'm home and chillin.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Trivia talk included some "How about those Republicans at the SotU, they must be so embarassed Biden made them promise not to try to cut social services."

How is anybody in my sphere and still being like "can you believe these Republicans? Good thing dems finally thwarted em for good."

Mom, nobody who likes Jewish space lasers woman is going to change their mind about her because of the state of the union.

Also we came in dead last. NFL, new TV shows, and celebrity birth dates sunk us. I just start drawing dinosaurs on the tablecloth when those are the questions. Rawr motherfuckers.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Sounds like your crew needs to organize some NCIS: Las Vegas and Monday Night Football parties. The important thing is having fun.

Don't draw on your restaurant's tablecloth, though. You're a strange bird, BR.

Paper tablecloths and crayons on trivia night, because we are children. My biggest contribution is the team name. We were "Chinese Inflation Plot".

We know the trivia guy and I take delight in trying to get him to say something inappropriate. Best ever was "Hughe, Geoff, & Dick". He realized as soon as he verbalized it and glared right at us, he knew who punked him. "Easter joke: nailed it!" was another classic.

Lib and let die posted:

I've anecdotally found that the shock and awe approach is usually enough to sufficiently dislodge whatever insane rant about the communist democrats he was prepared to give from front of mind

Yeah this is always fun with people I've given up on, uh, converting. Just start saying "death to capitalism" and "hail satan".

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 9, 2023

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Trivia at other bars was always like that, once or twice a few younger folks literally just openly Googling every question and yelling out the answer immediately, best the Mc could do was "cmon guys, don't ruin it for everybody".

Our guy, at our bar? A drunk dude did that once and it was a record scratch moment. Mc was essentially like "are you loving kidding me?" Whole room craned their heads to view this jackass, even grandmas were menacing him. His friend had him out of the building within 2 minutes.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Lol thanks for the play I'm proud of those.

Where is projecthalaxy tho haven't seen him since we all became refugees. Apologies to any other regulars I'm omitting.

Guess I feel like we could've self moderated as a group a bit better, but... it's something awful, it's the internet. Just like I saw mellow seas post some things I knew were gonna cause a pile-on, I'd see other thread regulars post in different sub-forums and know they'd be swinging from that hammock for awhile. I have to assume we all know what we're doing, and though I always appreciated when somebody would step up to defend me from some uncharitable interpretations I never expected it. It's the internet and by and large it operates under very different rules of engagement than real life. As far as I know you could all be the same very busy intelligence operative.

Not picking on you mellow seas it's just easily in recent memory.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Just saw bish caught a ban for his very understandable post.

Uncool. I never got to respond to his home security post in OUR THREAD, to tell him I was sharpening the very sharpest guillotine blade cuz he seemed a decent dude (if angry, but we all should be).

This should be rectified. Did he even post anywhere but USPOL? We all posting here but he can't? Wtf did he do to deserve that status, cuz I'm obviously not privy to it.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well sure if he can afford home surveillance he can afford to re-reg. But he had a point. I mean, internet dog piles, probations... that which is necessary (or unavoidable) does not offend. But a ban linking to that post is a bad look. I'd drop litigating this if it were explained.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

a strange fowl posted:

who is your leader?

The weed smoking Bigfoot from the Australian mspaint cartoon big lez.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Oh I get it. We're going to get the Chief White Halfoat treatment. Whatever thread we settle in, moderates, liberals, and establishment types will come. They'll weave their bureaucratic spells and erect massive ponderous frameworks of incremental change above our fertile weed-posting. The sky will be darkened with "well, actually..."s. Those wanting to rage against the machine will have to file several applications, only to find out they are merely allowed to rage against a contraption or perhaps gizmo. Arfjason will erupt from the soil like a diglet, dripping with crude cringe.

They will both trail behind us and scout in our path, sure that wherever we post is a site of strong "lol.lmao"s, ripe for the taking. We will know no peace, no weed posts. Just yesterday I was drawing a dick on a workshop chalkboard, and I saw a lib crouching behind some plywood, hastily compiling a list of rules and guidelines. "THREE shaft veins? No, no no no, clearly out of compliance" they muttered.

gently caress this poo poo ima die of pneumonia

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

We're leaving nothing for the future but sorrow and desperation as we cling to our institutions and establishments, and nothing short of the inevitable cascading failure and collapse will see it stop.. So I guess we might as well laugh at everything, with intent for contentious malcontent content.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Yeah! I dig it! It was always tricky before the enforced exodus because frankly, we didn't all agree on anything. It really wasn't an echo chamber, it was a community. A.... family.

Back in the day rba would probably respond with a picture of Charles Manson. Ya can't go home though.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

I'd say rules were an affront to chaos, but chaos, like, doesn't even care bro

RBA Starblade posted:

It'd probably be an iasip clip

Google didn't help me figure that out.

Epic High Five posted:

In terms of actual business, I've got Harold and LALD on record as IK volunteers for neu-USPOL, any others? I'm gonna do some poking, I miss the thread too.

Well you can all stop waiting for me to volunteer, cuz I drink every night and dont care about anything until I care way too much and won't let it go.

I've just described a poster, not a moderator or even IK ... Ideally.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

The Cadillac has a dead head sticker still/again.

I know, not very fun.

For a variation on this, what flags and signs do people put outside their homes? Maybe it's one of their several homes...

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

I was grappling with something today (and many other days) that's certainly relevant... uh here. Friends, acquaintances, people I've known long enough to care about... sometimes they change in a direction I want to see, and indeed have personally been bent upon.

"Man, yknow... it seems like we should [be sustainable/equitable/just]. What if we could just do that?"

YEAH AND HOW DO YOU PLAN TO DO THAT HUH JOHNNY COME LATELY?!?!? ITS TOO LATE DOOFUS WE hosed!

This is something I am actively trying not to do, but I know some of you must understand the immediate impulse.

It's weird, I love having these discussions, but I end up feeling like a real life grinch... if only because I too had these thoughts of collaboration, of construction. The "better thing" when this fails. Our ability to overcome and reform. We have such amazing knowledge and power. If we all just....

Oh, yeah well ok.. But surely, people will...

Maybe if we all just. ...

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Also since I know you're in here too Discendo Vox I decided that THOT Terminator would be a cool name and if we should ever be at odds again in USCE you address me as such.

Edit DUHN DUHN DUHN - DUHN DUHN

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Finally got that dark souls remastered co-op run going. We're just staying at slvl9 for now, crazy how Capra demon is a pushover... but also a demon that will gently caress you up in one attack. Hoping our collaboration and knowledge of the game will give us enough of an edge vs invaders (since we need to be human to summon each other and especially when we die with 15 humanities and 20,000 souls)

Especially especially especially cuz mofo friend has more hard humanities and a Balder side sword with half the playtime.*

Cant wait to lay claim to darkroot garden as a green team already got arotiras's crest.

He wanted to go str and faith. ... I might have to use a greatsword at this rate.

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 11, 2023

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

DS2 was weird, but so is the later parts of DS1. I still think dark magic/phys damage hybrid +dark weapon or w/e is amazing and my character looked badass. Used to get hate tells, and I didn't even "look up a build" it was more like "THAT'S how it works? This is gonna kick rear end!"

Also I love dark souls 2 cruelty. Hey an item! - ... gently caress!

Or when you drop into that one room in the tombs. The one invaders squat on. You know the one.

My old roommate and I just beat gaping dragon in DS1R, and we're about to venture into darkroom to slaughter then join the forest hunters. We're on switch, so trespass in the darkroom garden if you wanna feel that pain!

Edit: I feel like vitality isn't that great, bosses and player characters do so much damage in one hit what's the point of having more than "enough to survive one mistake (and then flask)"? I feel like hitting enough stats to use weapons/spells, then dumping everything else into endurance and upgrading the badass armor that allows me to wear.

Also my buddy won't give me his balder side sword because he has to collect every weapon. Luckily the longsword won't let me down, with its reliable verticals, horizontal, and thrusts. It's like soul caliber 2.

I got that tail *uses magic weapon and switches to 2 handed*

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 11, 2023

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

a strange fowl posted:

do any of you grow plants

My job title is gardener, but it's a lot different than growing things in my backyard. I mostly garden for people who have enough land and can afford to pay somebody to garden for them. I'm glad I don't spend all day riding around a lawnmower, but I'm still making wealthy people's (often extra) homes prettier. Though we do help older clients with all sorts of things which feels sorta validating. Boss runs things equitably and we are treated with dignity.

Also I don't have a backyard.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

My in-laws decided at the last minute that that Superbowl is too woke for them so it's kebabs and nacho dip for me and my wife tonight

I too refuse to watch the superbowl or spend the next day discussing commercials.

Is this... horseshoe theory?

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

My pal lost his souls and humanities at the fire keeper soul in blighttown. He forgot to wear the sacrificial ring I gave him and fell off the lift on the way back.

I don't think the rest of this run will be the same. He might feel better if I lose all my souls and soft humanities in sens fortress.

And since we both died and called it a night, that might happen!

Also I fixed my switch pro today by gluing one of the little rubber button response columns to the back of the plastic button. It came away from the rubber mold thing that let's it have a springy snap. It's not the same but at least it works.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

a strange fowl posted:

as is fitting for a king, he doesn't have an overabundance of gold, silver, horses, or as far as i can tell, women

Well then, he's certainly not getting a moog solo! What an unlucky man.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

I usually feel I don't quite have sufficient content for USCE (sources and institutional knowledge/experience). Yet I've been paying attention for years, so sometimes I feel I've something to add.

The apparent misreading and conflating of arguments also has me doubt my ability to articulate my points. When it seems somebody has completely missed my point and is accusing me of something easier to argue against.

But then I see it happen to other posters who made substantial points. There is a tendency (not just in USCE, or even just in the forums) for people to have this certain threshold of what's "necessary". At a certain point, if one's argument is felt to criticize our way of life at large, there is this incredulous uproar and assumptions of bad faith... as if somebody couldn't be opposed to the way we live (or that such an opinion isn't acceptable).

This isn't just "libs vs tankies" or whatever, I've had more than one person in real life scold me for my comments regarding fossil fuel because "Theres a war going on now is not the time/what about all the people who need that fuel/think of the jobs".

Seemed more appropriate to put this here than in the debate thread, just something I think we've all encountered. It's hard not to reflexively get aggro (or, for some perhaps, report) and I just try to remind myself of instances of that mindset.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Rappaport posted:

It would be fantastic if we could have a chat thread that is bereft of well over a decade of bad blood, but

I hate it too, don't get me wrong, but that is there and it is not going away. Until Jeff has another "funny day" I guess!

I hold no alliances or grudges, I'm not trying to "own" anybody.

I like posting about weed and dark souls and all, but I read and post in D&D because I like being informed and discussing these matters. Traditionally USPOL let us blow off some steam without making GBS threads up the debate club, and that doesn't mean syq, receipts, or otherwise targeted harassment or helldumping. At least, that isn't what I'm doing... once it got a bit like that we lost our clubhouse.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Mellow Seas posted:

And that's what makes your posting good. :tipshat:

There are a lot of posters who fit that description too (not me, sadly), they just get talked about a lot less than the rest of us because usually nobody is mad at them. JF, HY!L, EHF, Beetus, World Famous W to mention a few. You guys are doin' great, keep it up.

It's the spirit of jolly cooperation! Cheers!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

this is a bit too long for a twitch copypasta, but ill try to make it work

Apparently I'm too dumb to understand this reply.

Twitch... watching people play videogames

Copypasta... 4chan?

I picked up the goddamn lightning spear and now I don't get summoned to hunt in the forest anymore. Damnit. Nobody with a weapon level of 10 is running around in there.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

selec posted:

remember when people used to talk about someone getting their jimmy rustled? you don’t hear of it happening much anymore.

The price of a good JRJ has ballooned.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Getting some forest hunting summons again, quite a few lengthy rewarding duels that were neck and neck. Always fun even if I lose.

OTOH tempted to get mad at giantdad type players who can eat an entire stamina bar of attacks, kill me in a few hits, are fast enough to telebackstab, and taunt me afterwards. (Ok it was this one guy)

Yes tempted to be mad, until I realize they're camping the forest and likely up to 20+ levels higher than me given the fact I can't hurt or stagger them at all. Instead of mad, I just say "what a loser" and move on. Who taunts somebody when it's no contest? Woof.

Oh and fister I thought you had a good point regarding "under capitalism it's a feature". We foster and encourage greed, consumption, materialism. When that's openly the ideology of our system, how could sustainability and safety compete? "Being happy with less" is not encouraged.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

From order... comes justice

-mods, lacing up their shiny shiny black boots.

Pal wants to play darksouls, but I must take my gf out for sushi. Which is something I like (well, two things!), but I am conflicted... as a young man I had a dream, of playing outside all day and coming home to get high pour a drink and play video games. And yet still, somehow, against all odds, I acquired a girlfriend. Anyway enjoy February's Hallmark day, I bought a handcrafted thing from a local artist because I'll be damned before I give some national corporation a cent because "that's what you're expected to do today".

Wait a minute... gotta do some digging on the money behind our local sushi joint. Might visit Lordran after all.

Against all odds....

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

In dark souls 2 you could use a special little mini white stone to play co-op whether the boss is dead in the hosts world or not, something I don't believe you can do in dark souls 1 and I miss it. It's one thing to do the level by yourself and get the items, leaving the boss alive... but you can't kill any bosses solo, or else you're not really co-oping at all.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Misinformation and propaganda happen under other systems... and they drat sure happen in capitalism too. What narratives capture us, how things are framed. Power is going to use the power it has to retain that power. It would be irresponsible not to. Whether it's the government or just a corporation trying to profit.

Everybody's debate clubbing it up, which yeah that's the thread, but I think it's healthy to have some skepticism towards any information filtered through government channels, or yes even the "main stream media". Doesn't mean it's all a lie or part of some grand plot, but only a credulous fool could think you haven't been or won't be deceived.

Anyway talk keeps going back to "how they handled the derailment" but the conditions that allowed it to happen are the example of failure. Or how about climate scientists repeatedly warning disaster and unimaginable consequence if we don't make a lot of difficult changes? We believe the science! We are not making those changes however, it would be very disruptive.

At the end of the day theres no happy answer regarding the climate anyway, certainly not one the masses, the market, or our leaders would accept. It's not a conspiracy, this is just what's easiest and most comfortable for us. Reap what you sow and all.

Well that's my coffee finished gotta get dressed for work. I hope the way we live ceases to exist sooner rather than later, but until then they could at least release dark souls 2 for switch.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

I can handle seeing YOU DIED in a souls game.

What I don't need is "BABE! Babe you died look it says you died right there"

Haha sometimes I'll die and be pissed and I get "OH honey I'm so sorry! That's such bullshit!"

It does not calm me.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

All day I screened soil and thought about how I'd change the lyrics of a song to celebrate, were USPol to return. Was gonna go with

Feels so good
USPOL post-iin'

I had a few easy parts figured out

I wanted you to post there, I wanted you to see
But then I hit refresh and saw that you just quoted me

But then I was like "perhaps D&D appreciates the boost in engagement, the contrast, in a way. Maybe that's why they did it. Maybe I'll never have a reason to post this corny rear end white noise wannabe weird al poo poo.

And now I read USPOL is back!?!?!

I'd have posted this there, but don't wanna throw my money around re-regin.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

I think the conversation has moved on in USCE, but what does one call oneself if they recognize none of the better things can be built in their lifetime, and more than likely dying to make way for said better things is the best they can hope for (if they insist on hoping for better things *gestures at climate change*).
Like, destruction bad creation good is a pretty commonly held belief, but if one recognizes that what we have is unacceptable and all avenues of reform are laughable, what can they call themselves but a comic book supervillian?

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

I would believe in society, I used to so much. I used to be jr captain America votescold and somehow never got my rear end kicked telling cars and basements full of sometimes dangerous (fellow) burnouts and criminals that they couldnt complain if they didn't try to fix things. I worked a manufacturing job and my minor ascension ended not when I quit, but when my boss (absolutely correctly) told me the work I was focusing on was a waste of time because although it was necessary to improve things, it was not matched before or after me, and therefor meaningless, and I had to work with what I had.

I could believe again, but for the terrible cost of our extraction consumption and exploitation. Not enough people take personal responsibility, and the ones who do become... unhealthy. What is left but laughing into the void?

I haven't give up paying attention, trying to stay informed and educate myself enough to spread the word. But academia on a wholly restructured understanding of global power is, sadly, merely content for posters. It's increasingly only useful to me as a method of highlighting the failures of the world we currently face.

Honestly I think the idea that I could participate in building (nevermind enjoy) a better world is toxic positivity hubris. We're pretty lucky here in the heart of the last peak of material comfort... but not that lucky. So how could I sincerely identify with anything aside from "not this, at all cost, cuz it's already costing everything"

Edit: OK I'm over that, gonna try to reconcile marvel supervillians with mfdoom already existing (don't even wanna get into pop culture Thanos appreciation).

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 22, 2023

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

You know what.

I never saw the joker and all the best parts of the fifth element must be the ones I forgot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Elden ring chat is worse than food chat, cuz I actually want to play it so bad but my newest game systems are a switch (I bought for my gf but hey it's there) and a laptop that can't even begin to handle newer games. There is a litany of other things I should spend on though (vehicle concerns prominently) before a game system, if I'm being at all personally responsible.

Hell, if I could play ds2 again I'd be elated and I never even got to do ds3. These are the things a therapist would tell me to look forward to.

I live in a tiny apartment with no yard, but I'm lucky enough to work with a guy I can get local eggs from.

Edit: from a mental health perspective, I think "negative" emotions are just as valid as good ones, perhaps more depending on your context. I think the key is whether you handle them healthily or not.

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 23, 2023