Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
in eastern europe, the dignity and human rights of prisoners are sacrosanct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

pangstrom posted:

I'm never going to get used to there being a swiss soccer club (the best swiss soccer club last season, in fact) called the "young boys".

In Argentina there's a team called the old boys.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gatts posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/i9Bqoop

Are we allowed to use these? Cause this would be real tempting.

No memes in dnd

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
some nerd

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
welcome to dadchat

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Are you guys gonna have something to commemorate him at the comic book store dickeye? Play taps on kazoo? 21 rubber band gun salute? Throw an inflatable sex doll model of him on a raft laden with kleenex and lotion and light it up for his journey to nerd Valhalla?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

HorrificExistence posted:

b o t h s i d e s

Elaborate

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Knight posted:

Me, it is me, I am the big idiot. AMA.

did you know that guns don't kill people, death kills people?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Party Plane Jones posted:

If either of you two post about each other again I'm giving you a week and whoever reports you posting gets a free av change out of it. Put each other on ignore and stop making GBS threads up D&D chat thread.

Careful now, dickeye is a radical extremist revolutionary. There's no telling what he's capable of.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Dickeye is either a lesbian woman or a man, so based on the ratios of the current population the odds are in my favor, but if I'm wrong it would not be the first time.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
marg bar khamenei

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
speaking of, the 350z with bald summer tires in an illinois snowstorm did work today. that traction control poo poo is magic.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I'm getting mine put on next week. We just got a light dusting, but I drove through it going to work balls early in the morning so there were no tracks to follow. If I didn't have the traction control I would've been sideways the whole trip. It would still never survive a Canada winter.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

They've done music videos for like every single track on this album lol. Not particularly impressed with any of them.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
They don't have atomic fireballs in Germany?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
wu tang trans

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

gently caress you don't make good posts

How are you not dead, between the 350z and the lock out tag out poo poo

It's not our place to question the gods, but if this civil war doesn't kick off soon to give me a warriors death then I will have to resort to the attestupa.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i forgot this bit of lore, what are vb's opinions on lock out tag out?

you don't have to lock out tag out unless you're actually putting the machine down for maintenance. like if it's broke. if it's not broke, you don't have to lock out tag out. you e stop it at most. i use smaller machines now but at the gun factory i would crawl up in the machine to get a good look at stuff and since it wasn't down for maintenance i didn't need to lock out tag out, and literally no one does. this post made dickeye furious.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

my understanding was that lock out tag out applied anytime someone was entering an area where they might be exposed to hazardous energy

Nah. They aren't the backbone of the industry anymore, but OSHA still lets shops use manual machines for less value producing work that isn't profitable on more expensive machines. The technology for that poo poo hasn't changed since like, the 60's, and there's still people who get killed or really hosed up by them today. You can't operate them without being exposed to hazardous energy.

So for somebody using a machine like this one that has a chuck 3 times as big as this one, OSHA's only issue would be that he's wearing a watch (which, for the record, is stupid as gently caress and lol I found this pic on a CNC training site. :negative:)

This despite the fact that there's a big chunk of metal spinning 2,000 rpm with nothing between it and your face. You can get clothing caught in it and get sucked into the machine, or better yet,

If that was steel, that dude would be dead. You don't chisel steel manually like this like you do with wood, but you can polish it by hand in an operation like this one, and the same thing can happen if the workpiece isn't secure or your chuck jaw is hosed up, or any number of things, so it's just inherently dangerous as gently caress, and OSHA approved.

I on the other hand, am a technologically savvy millenial, so I don't use those ancient things. I deal more with machines like this one.

This machine won't move with the doors open unless you turn keys like it's a nuclear bomb, at which point, you enter set up mode, which disengages the chuck so it can't spin, and limits how fast the internals in the machine can move. There's a ton of different safety mechanisms within the machine parameters to prevent it from doing anything stupid even if you try to tell it to. If you hit the e-stop, everything is disengaged, and you have to override the e-stop by going through a process, so it can't be done by just anyone on accident. And as you can tell by the size of the machine, it's not like you're on one side of the building while someone on the other is pushing buttons and levers that make the machine try to kill you. If you were to drop a wrench in that machine, you can totally reach in and grab it, as with the amount of safeties in play, and relative to other OSHA-approved activities, it's safe as gently caress. And per OSHA, that is not machine maintenance, so lock out tag out would not be required. You're well within your rights to do so, and you will be fine. Unfortunately for ya'll, I won't die for at least another 10 years of a debilitating stroke.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://mobile.twitter.com/NRO/status/1064893644493266944

Big if true.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Has there been some statistical aberration re: forest fires in recent years that's attributable to climate change or something?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
boys rule girls drool

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Man, YouTubes algorithms are bullshit. No matter how many times I say not interested I still incessantly get recommended dumb poo poo about Jordan Peterson, Ben Shapiro, and the best liberal tears from Trump's election. Zero from the left.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

LeoMarr posted:

You googled "idlib carnage montage"and "kurd slaughterfest MLG PRO" too many times to get a left leaning algorithim

those are both super leftist search terms tho

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's at least a little better than it used to be. You could watch a video of a puppy playing with a baby and in the related videos it'd have some alex jones documentary. like oh word i was just wondering whether obama was kenyan once the baby started giggling.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i don't like five finger death punch. i been on a mongolian biker horde rock kick for a little while now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM8dCGIm6yc

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Muppets On PCP posted:

they were created in the evil scientist yakub's lab to cater specifically to your aesthetic

not really. i'm not an affliction t kinda guy. now rammsteins guitarist and billy talents vocalist doing a song together? that feels a little creepily targeted at my psyche.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Jon Bois is back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oNB6tlSZ2A

:nms: for anderson silva getting his leg broke off

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
yeah i don't know who he is but he sounds like he had a serious stroke at some point in his life

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

Jon Bois is back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oNB6tlSZ2A

:nms: for anderson silva getting his leg broke off

looks like it's gonna be a one a day thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkd6xumhVms

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This dudes voice tho, Jesus

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
jon is a great narrator

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
also his jokes are funny so i can tell he didn't write this

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

blood sports are bad and you should feel bad

you watch anime

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i know you've always had debilitating brain problems, but most of those fighters didn't before they started their careers. try to understand that other people actually have something to lose

they haven't lost the ability to look their parents in the eye at least.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Dadchat, home to all your favorite bumper sticker jokes

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
in the near future, human beings will communicate solely in the format of "doop dee doop to own the deep doo deep."

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Not everyone has travel needs as small as riding their bike to school.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1070699397007228929

i'd buy her a drink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Stumbled across a libertarian history podcast episode on John Brown today so I listened to it at work. It was pretty funny. Since dude was playing historian, he couldn't throw out the states rights argument, since even a cursory reading of the Fugitive Slave Act and the founding of the confederacy makes it blatantly clear that the south didn't give two shits about states rights, so he went in some really interesting directions. The funniest was when he started saying "historians say" as though they are a monolith while he was arguing that John Brown made up that he saw a black kid getting beaten as a child, which Brown always said was a defining moment in his life, because, among other reasons, slaveowners would have no reason to beat slaves with shovels because the slaves were their property and what would be the sense in that?

But the best was at the end when he was describing why Brown was such a failure. Because he created the perception among southerners that the north was out to get them, even ~southerners that didn't support slavery~, so he radicalized them against the North. Completely ignoring that Brown's trial prompted a worldwide debate and revolutionized the abolitionist movement, such that it became a massive issue instead of just something smug people talked about in 19th century starbucks cafes. The south always had a persecution complex, and they used that to justify the horrific atrocities they committed, and to oppose any sort of concessions when it came to, you know, respecting the concept of basic human dignity. Brown didn't create that. Instead, he just spread the word to Northerners that the south deserved to be persecuted, and needed to be persecuted, for the only way to get an inch from them was to take it. And when it came to the institution of slavery, decent people had a moral obligation to take the whole mother fucker rear end yard stick.

He also spent a good hour digging into every military aspect of the raid at Harpers Ferry to illustrate how it was such a failure, but didn't say a word about how John Browns legacy was such that union soldiers were singing his name as they marched into battle at Harpers Ferry. gently caress off m8.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 8, 2018