Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

big dogs with diarrhea are scary. i once was walking a roomates giant mutt, apparently it had a tummy ache and proceeded to literally shoot a stream of liquid poo poo like two feet behind itself. absolutely coated a neighbor's flowerbed. i've never seen anything like it

did you clean it up??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

a strange fowl posted:

i am reading the works of montessori now and it's just like talking to an italian irl, by which i mean she waxes lyrical about cosmology and philosophy and the human condition and i'm like "hell yeah!" and then she'll be like "you know who was a great teacher who really understood the power of inspiring youth to revolutionize a culture? hitler!"

I assume it's like reading Kollontai and you get to the eugenics bit

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

a strange fowl posted:

meanwhile my dad's main teaching was "at any moment you could die. you might even get murdered. and that's ok!" and giving me the entire works of clive barker at age 11
Early UEngine game Undying ftw

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

a strange fowl posted:

gender reveals are the weirdest thing about this decade. i swear they were not a thing even like, five years ago, and suddenly they became this huge touchstone of american culture, like elf on the shelf

they're doing them in Turkey now as well 👍

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

cat botherer posted:

RE: pillowchat, I highly recommend wool-filled pillows. They aren't the cheapest, but they have good firmness and repel dust mites (which a lot of people are allergic to).

interesting. have you tried buckwheat?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

a strange fowl posted:

breaking news

i was observing a sheep paddock with new lambs and a guardian alpaca. one of the lambs went up to the alpaca and they gently booped noses

gently caress yea

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

You were all smiles when you were breaking the rules. Pay the fine.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Is Generation Alpha really what we're going with?

I don't know how we reverted back to Gen [letter] after skipping it.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1688626310430732290

it's what the media and marketers are saying in several countries, it's caught on, for the time being.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean Gen Y only stuck around until Millenial became a thing, Zees will pick their thing, as will alpha.

Also, Generations is a bit sticky anyway.

who picked millennial? millennials?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

millennials MILLENNIALS millennials milebnials MILLENNIALS

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

That's what Queen Latifah and Vin Diesel did.

The ethnic name, Vin Diesel

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pirate Radar posted:

Vin Diesel and ethnicity is a whole Thing I think

yeah, one of his first movies is about being multiracial

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

a strange fowl posted:

i changed my surname from my mother's scandinavian thing to my father's, which comes from an ancient turkic insult meaning retarded, and it was worth it just for the mask-off moments from white australian officials. "why would you do that??" because gently caress you

what is it lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Movies should have major artists do fully original songs for their soundtracks again.

Kiss from a Rose, that Celine Dion Titanic song, the Rodney Dangerfield Back to School theme, and the Snakes in a Plane song were all bops.

"What Was I Made For?" is a song by American singer Billie Eilish from Barbie: The Album, the soundtrack of the film Barbie. The song was released through Atlantic Records, Darkroom and Interscope Records on July 13, 2023, as the fourth single from the soundtrack. "What Was I Made For?" reached number-one in Australia, Ireland, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Speaking of obnoxious customer service, my CVS recently made it so that you literally cannot talk to a human being at the store or pharmacy anymore. You will just get directed to a voice mail and they will call you back within 48 hours.

But, I just learned yesterday that they actually shut down the voicemail during lunch hours too and you have to leave a voicemail between 9 am and 12:30 pm or from 2 pm through 6 pm.

I am guessing it is maybe something that was programmed into their phone system when you could talk to a human being and they just never changed it, but it is wild that you can only leave voicemails and you have to leave a voicemail during non-lunch store hours.

It sounds really messed up there. I heard about this on the podcast uyd recently and clipped some excerpts. there's more specifically about cvs in the article.

California pharmacies are making millions of mistakes. They’re fighting to keep that secret

latimes.com posted:

California pharmacies make an estimated 5 million errors every year, according to the state’s Board of Pharmacy.

Officials at the regulatory board say they can only estimate the number of errors because pharmacies are not required to report them.

Most of the mistakes that California officials have discovered, according to citations issued by the board and reviewed by The Times, occurred at chain pharmacies such as CVS and Walgreens, where a pharmacist may fill hundreds of prescriptions during a shift, while juggling other tasks such as giving vaccinations, calling doctors’ offices to confirm prescriptions and working the drive-through.

Christopher Adkins, a pharmacist who worked at CVS, and then at Vons pharmacies until March, said that management policies at the big chains have resulted in understaffed stores and overworked staff.

“At this point it’s completely unsafe,” he said.

Adkins now works at an independent pharmacy company in Los Angeles. He isn’t the only pharmacist worried that heavy workloads and distractions are leading to errors.

In a survey of California licensed pharmacists in 2021, 91% of those working at chain pharmacies said staffing wasn’t high enough to provide patients adequate care.

Although the board requires pharmacies to document errors internally, inform patients about mistakes in certain cases and learn how to prevent them from occurring again, only 62% of chain pharmacists said stores were following those rules, according to the survey.

Some errors have been deadly. More than 10% of malpractice claims against pharmacists were for injuries that resulted in death, according to a 2019 report by two insurance providers.

The leading cause of death was from overdoses, in which patients were given dosage strengths that were too high or incorrect instructions that multiplied the amount of medicine the patient received.

As many as 9,000 Americans die each year from prescription errors, according to one study.

Rarely does the public learn of the mistakes. Not only does the state not require the reporting of errors, but the big pharmacy companies often ask consumers to sign agreements demanding that they take any dispute not to court but to private arbitration panels.

Patients typically agree to arbitration when they are asked to click a box to accept the company’s terms and conditions when they pick up a prescription.

“You agree that CVS and you each waive the right to trial by a jury,” states the CVS agreement.

To begin understanding the frequency of the mistakes, the pharmacy board sponsored a bill that would require pharmacies to report every error — not publicly but to a third party outside the government. The bill would also give the pharmacist responsible for the store the ability to increase staffing if they believe the workload has become too heavy to keep patients safe.

The legislation is opposed by the California Community Pharmacy Coalition, a lobbying group representing retail pharmacies, including the big chains. The coalition has told legislators that the pharmacy staffing requirements are too rigid and that it does not want the pharmacy board to have access to the error reports, among other objections with the bill. The coalition did not respond to a request for comment.

Language in the bill being debated in Sacramento states that the board would not get access to the reports — and neither would the public. Instead the reports would be kept confidential. The third-party group receiving the error reports would periodically provide information to the pharmacy board, including how many mistakes have been reported.

The pharmacy board said it hopes to use the information to learn more about what is causing the errors and what can be done to reduce them. The bill would allow the board to publish de-identified information compiled from the data in the reports.

The bill, AB 1286, authored by Assemblymember Matt Haney, a San Francisco Democrat, has passed the Assembly and is now before the state Senate.

“Shockingly, there’s no centralized reporting mechanism for medication errors,” Haney said in an interview. “There should be transparency, and the Board of Pharmacy should have the authority to respond to protect patients. That’s not happening right now.”

Two years ago, the state Legislature passed a bill that banned chain pharmacies from setting quotas for pharmacists on the numbers of prescriptions filled, vaccines given or other activities during a shift. The law’s goal was to make the chain pharmacies safer.

In the 2021 survey, taken before that bill passed, 73% of chain pharmacists said their employer monitored the number of prescriptions filled and 62% said the company monitored the average time it took them to fill a prescription.

Despite the new law, some chain pharmacies have continued to require pharmacists to meet quotas, according to citations issued by the board. Since January 2022, at least five pharmacies have been cited for asking pharmacists to meet quotas.

CVS set quotas and measured pharmacists on the number of vaccinations they gave each week, according to a March citation issued to the company’s pharmacy in Ripon, a town in the Central Valley. The citation included a $10,000 fine.

CVS declined to answer questions about the citation. It said it did not set quotas for pharmacists or pharmacy technicians.

A pharmacy board inspection at a Walgreens in Citrus Heights in August of last year found that the store had set quotas for pharmacists on the number of COVID-19 tests dispensed and vaccinations given.

The quota was “expressly encouraged by Walgreens corporate ownership,” the citation said. The pharmacy was fined $50,000, and an additional $5,000 for the inspectors’ finding that a pharmacist had dispensed a prescription of atenolol, a blood pressure medicine, without consulting with the customer about how to safely take it. That consultation is required by state law if the drug hasn’t been given to the patient previously.

Walgreens said it disagreed with the citation and was challenging it. “Walgreens does not utilize quotas for pharmacists or pharmacy technicians,” the company said, “and was in compliance with the new law before it went into effect.”

In a nationwide move last fall, Walgreens announced that it would no longer evaluate its pharmacy staff on any task-based metrics.
personally, I have experienced concerning errors in dosage and count. this wasn't really a problem in countries where you get your meds in ready-to-go blister packs.

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 3, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Not surprising at all. I know my local CVS has been offering an insane amount of money for pharmacists because nobody wants to work there. They currently still have just one pharmacist and hired 4 pharm techs instead.

It sounds bad nationwide

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/cvs-responds-quickly-after-pharmacists-frustrated-with-their-workload-miss-work/

quote:

CVS found the right prescription on Wednesday to keep its stores open in the Kansas City area and avoid a repeat of a work stoppage last week by pharmacists: It promised to boost hiring to ease workloads that sometimes make it hard to take a bathroom break.

But it won’t be easy to resolve the problems that have been growing as pharmacists at CVS and other drug stores in the U.S. took on more duties in recent years and are gearing up to deliver this year’s latest flu and COVID-19 vaccines.

“It all relates to not enough dollars going in to hire the appropriate staff to be able to deliver the services,” said Ron Fitzwater, CEO of the Missouri Pharmacy Association.

Pharmacists in at least a dozen Kansas City-area CVS pharmacies did not show up for work last Thursday and Friday and planned to be out again this Wednesday until the company sent its chief pharmacy officer with promises to fill open positions and increase staffing levels.

It was one of the latest examples nationwide of workers fed up enough to take action. But unlike in the ongoing strikes at the automakers or in Hollywood, the pharmacists weren’t demanding raises or more vacation, but more workers to help them.

CVS spokeswoman Amy Thibault said the company is “focused on addressing the concerns raised by our pharmacists so we can continue to deliver the high-quality care our patients depend on.”

Chief Pharmacy Officer Prem Shah apologized for not addressing concerns sooner in a memo to Kansas City-area staff that was obtained by USA Today. He promised to remain in the city until the problems are addressed and come back regularly to check on the progress.

“We want you, our valued pharmacy teams, to be in a position to succeed. We are working hard to support you and are here to help and create sustainable solutions,” Shah said as he encouraged the pharmacists to continue to share their concerns even anonymously.

It’s unclear why workload concerns that are common industrywide led to a work stoppage in Kansas City. The pharmacists involved are not in a union and haven’t spoken publicly, so it’s not entirely clear how satisfied they are with the company’s response.

Jeff Jonas, a portfolio manager for Gabelli Funds, said there’s a nationwide shortage of pharmacy workers, prompting companies to push long work hours with few bathroom and lunch breaks. At the same time, the industry is “not really unionized, so I wouldn’t expect a big, coordinated action” to be inspired by the Kansas City demonstration, he said.

At stores with only one pharmacist on duty, the pharmacy has to shut down every time that person leaves the area because a pharmacist must be present to supervise technicians in their work.

The American Pharmacists Association said in a statement that it supports the stand the Kansas City pharmacists took.

“Pharmacists who find themselves in situations where the welfare of others is in question should always pause, evaluate the situation, and take the steps necessary to ensure safe, optimal patient care,” the group said.

CVS Health has about 300,000 employees and runs prescription drug plans through one of the nation’s largest pharmacy benefits managers. Its Aetna insurance arm covers more than 25 million people, and the company has nearly 10,000 drugstores.

The company said last month that operating income at its drugstores fell 17% as reimbursement rates from patient’s insurance providers for drugs remained tight. CVS eliminated about 5,000 jobs, but company officials said none of those involved dealing with customers.

Bled Tanoe, a hospital pharmacist in Oklahoma who previously worked for Walgreens, runs a social media campaign called “Pizza Is Not Working” aimed at raising awareness about the industry’s working conditions. Its name comes from the pizzas that are routinely given to overwhelmed medical workers to raise morale. Tanoe said she was “wowed” by the CVS demonstration.

“They pretty much risk their reputation, their livelihood to take a stand because serving the patients is so important to them,” Tanoe said.

Amanda Applegate with the Kansas Pharmacists Association said pharmacists have always had a lot on their plate.

“When we are not valued as health care professionals, it doesn’t allow the job that needs to be done to be done,” she said. “And that’s keeping you know, patients safe — right drug, right patient, right time, right dose.”

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Fraternal Association of Steel Haulers (FASH)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Anybody seen any good black Friday deals for pillows? Specifically 80/20 feather/down.

I had a great one, but nobody seems to make them anymore and my wife insists on these terrible all down pillows that are basically a giant bag of cotton balls and air.

I heard about some deals going on while I was listening to my favorite podcast, the war room

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Tesseraction posted:

Christmas as a holiday is a pagan tradition anyway.

When I was on a cultural exchange in southern Germany, in mid to late October the villages have a tradition where all the adult men in the village go into the woods, find the tallest tree, cut it down and then all of them carry it back to the village square, then all the women in the village decorate it with festive items.

That weekend everyone gets Disco Elysiumed with booze. The tree stays up for the winter as a reminder of more cheerful seasons until the worst of the weather passes.

next tallest tree: gulp... better find a way to make a move in a year or hope someone outgrows me!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Joe Biden has just moved into a tie for the record of "Longest-serving Irish Catholic President."

If he can hold out for one more day, then he is taking the gold.

he's doing a victory lap already
Statement from President Joe Biden on the 60th Anniversary of the Assassination of President John F. Kennedy | The White House

www.whitehouse.gov posted:

Sixty years ago today, President John F. Kennedy was assassinated, a defining moment of deep trauma and loss that shocked the soul of our nation. Millions of Americans still remember exactly where we were when it happened. I was in college and had just left class, joining other students glued to the news in silence along with the entire country.

The weeks and months that followed awakened a generation. President Kennedy had been a war hero, senator, and statesman. He set our nation’s compass firmly on many of the most consequential issues of the 20th century, from civil rights, to voting rights, to equal pay for women. He led with calm resolve through the most dangerous moments of the Cold War. And at the dawn of a new decade, he called us forward to a new frontier, propelling us to the moon and beyond. He inspired a nation to see public service as a calling.

Like millions, I deeply felt his conviction and dreams for America. His ideas rhymed with the lessons I’d learned from the nuns at school and around my father’s kitchen table – that we are each called to do good works on this earth, to try to make our world a better place in the service of others. But what stuck with me most was President Kennedy’s courage, his heroic sense of duty, and his family’s capacity to absorb profound suffering.

We saw that most clearly with First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy, whose grace and resilience still hold the hearts of the American people, as they did during that most challenging time in the life of her family and of our nation. His brother, Robert, was one of my greatest political heroes; and Teddy was one of my closest friends. His daughter, Caroline, remains a dear friend as well, along with countless Kennedy family members whom Jill and I have been privileged to know, and to whom we send our love and affection on this day of remembrance.

In life and in death, President Kennedy changed the way we saw ourselves – a country full of youthful hopes and ambition, steeled with the seasoned strength of a people who’ve overcome profound loss by turning pain into unyielding purpose. He called us to take history into our own hands, and to never quit striving to build an America that lives up to its highest ideals.

On this day, we remember that he saw a nation of light, not darkness; of honor, not grievance; a place where we are unwilling to postpone the work that he began and that we all must now carry forward. We remember the unfulfilled promise of his presidency – not only as a tragedy, but as an enduring call to action to each do all we can for our country.

May God continue to bless President John F. Kennedy.
Fun fact: Biden was 21

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

man, santos probably could have kept his seat at least a bit longer if he hadn't been skimming the credit card info of a sitting republican house member and the member's mother, but i respect the dedication to the grift to the very end. dude would use his dying breath to try to run a con

they did him wrong re: the proportionality and appropriateness of being ejected when much greater and stupider criminals abound in DC. let's see them eject Bob Menendez. not to mention frauds perpetrated in many other ways on voters in much more damaging fashion.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

socialsecurity posted:

I'm a middle aged white guy who drives a red truck in the south, I get approached by Republicans about 50% of the time who see me as an ally to talk about how awesome Trump is, I do not like it very much at all.

Get a yellow smartcar, I think it will help.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Professor Beetus posted:

No that's Biodome starring Pauly Shore and William Baldwin
Directed by Steve Bannon iirc

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I thought the Stanley cup was some hockey thing and explained it as such when my partner asked what it was when some TikToks we were scrolling through mentioned them. I figured hockey was getting real big for some reason!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

this seems apropos to matt walsh's thoughts on the gay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My5FLO50hNM

James Baldwin ftw
Baldwin in Turkey

nmaahc.si.edu posted:

Baldwin often used his time abroad to heal, and famously mentioned that “Turkey saved my life!” Beginning in 1961, he lived there on and off for nearly ten years. This Turkish decade provided a reprieve from America’s homophobia and racism during the height of the civil rights struggles. At the time, Baldwin told his friend, assistant, and drama critic Zeynep Oral, “I can’t breathe, I have to look from the outside.”

Baldwin found the vantage point he sought in Istanbul. The city served as a kind of refuge for many from other nations around the world. Sitting on the margins between Europe and Asia, near north Africa and the Middle East, Turkey’s diversity and eclectic spirit reminded Baldwin of his home in Harlem. A mix of secular and Muslim cultures, Turkey gave him the perspective to critically analyze life in America. In the short film “James Baldwin: From Another Place,” directed by his friend Sedat Pakay in 1970, Baldwin states “one sees it better from a distance ... from another place, another country.” In Turkey, Baldwin completed the novels Another Country (1962) and Tell Me How Long the Train’s Been Gone (1968), the play Blues for Mister Charlie (1964), a book of short stories Going to Meet the Man (1965), and the collection of essays The Fire Next Time (1963) and No Name in the Street (1972).

Baldwin was at the height of his power and popularity while living in Turkey. He established a rich social and creative circle with artists from that country and around the world. He collaborated with Turkish artists while directing a play about the nation’s prison system, befriended Turkish actors Engin Cezzar and Gürliz Sururi, and assisted in a local production of Hair. He hosted huge parties with diverse artists and celebrities, like jazz singer Bertice Reading, trumpeter Don Cherry, actor Marlon Brando, and author Alex Haley.

Despite the social and creative freedom he experienced there, Turkey presented Baldwin with various challenges. In her book James Baldwin’s Turkish Decade, Baldwin scholar Magdalena J. Zaborowska details the impact of Turkey’s national culture on him. He was nicknamed “Arab” or “Arap” Jimmy, marking his difference as an African American man in the city, where not many shared his background. He could not entirely escape homophobia either. While visiting a village on the coast, he was badly beaten by two men who used racist and anti-gay epithets. Just as it had been in Harlem, the social upheaval and injustices suffered by those he lived among weighed on him, too. He was deeply troubled by Turkey’s crack-down on Kurdish rights. In a letter from that time, Baldwin lamented that sometimes it felt that “the entire world is no longer livable.”

While Baldwin’s time in Turkey provided him with a break from the constant onslaught of American racism, it was also the place where he rested from the demands posed by being a spokesperson for the Civil Rights Movement. He flourished there both personally and creatively as a world-class artist and intellectual, who was both American and a citizen of the world.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

parable of the shower and it's about hygiene.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I knew about the goblin stereotype, but that last part can't be intentional, right? It is just something that looks kind of like one?

I guess...

It's probably a reference to the Karamanids, based on what I've heard about the author.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah, you can visibly see when she was rich/politically powerful enough to tell her editor to gently caress off:

And the quality plummeted. People still loved those books based on the first three, though.

lol I never seen the books side by side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i know it's just a thing that happens to old people, but the fact that trump and rudy can't keep from gassing out every space they occupy for more than a minute with audible farts is very funny

it's very presidential
Joe Biden’s fart and other embarrassing royal moments for Americans

www.politico.eu - Fri, 12 Nov 2021 posted:

When you meet the queen of England, you’re not supposed to turn your back on her (presumably in case she steals something). Clearly when you meet the Duchess of Cornwall, you’re supposed to fart.

That’s allegedly what happened when Joe Biden met Camilla at the COP26 climate talks in Glasgow — with the U.S. president doing a terrible job at reducing emissions.

The duchess “hasn’t stopped talking about” Biden’s fart, an “informed source” told the Mail on Sunday in what may be the greatest use of media sourcing in years. Move over, Deep Throat, here comes Deep Colon.

“It was long and loud and impossible to ignore,” the Mail wrote about the fart — the breaking of wind, not the U.S. leader, I hasten to add.