Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I went to Duluth and they had outdoor tunnels between buildings to prevent your skin from dying due to the wind chill and exposure from walking outside for 10 minutes.

Downtown Chicago has these as well for the same reason, except underground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Inferior Third Season posted:

I've been waiting 30 years for the promised "it gets easier to wake up early after doing it for a few weeks" to kick in.

Get a dog. You will never need an alarm clock again.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Staluigi posted:

A gently caress yea do they print up their emails and store them in a file cabinet

I worked for a computer book publisher for awhile long long ago and the head of the expert user division used to have his secretary print out his emails, he would write his response on them and hand them back for her to type in and respond.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Staluigi posted:

trump actually makes a fabulously all inclusive candidate for The Literal Antichrist according to practically any of the eschatological hallmarks constantly constantly constantly used by evangelicals, and this happened to be true even before he pronounced himself a messiah

they all going around saying "you must keep your eyes peeled for the Great Beast, the Little Horn, Mammon, the Son of Perdition! Neither shall he regard the God of his fathers, nor the desire of women, nor regard any God! He shall magnify himself above all!" then they turn around and look at trump and go "clearly god has sent him as our champion,"
Well they also say that the antichrist will sucker in hordes of the faithful and they'll harden their hearts to any and all attempts to persuade them otherwise, so... yeah. Checks out.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

Part of me wants to visit Finland some day, but the other part of me knows its just northern Canada with funny accents.

So basically the U.P. of Michigan (lots of Finns ended up there, coincidentally).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

V. Illych L. posted:

this is an ideological tension which has been at the back of my mind for a long time with gender reveal parties, but i don't know enough about the phenomenon

my impression is that it's just a rather vulgar middle-class thing which is not coded republican - if this is the case, with the increasing politisation of Gender stuff, it seems like this sort of thing would come up a lot

It’s extremely popular in Republican circles. Shooting at a box full of tannerite and color powder of your choice to make a giant gendersplosion in celebration of a developing fetus’ sex organs has become proof of manhood and woe is you if you miss more than once. (Setting the countryside on fire is just an increasingly inevitable side effect).
That said people in the US have always been weird about it. My godmother was downright angry at me for deciding not to find out the sex of my firstborn because how else was she supposed to know what color baby blanket to crochet?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I just got a letter informing me that I ran a red light in 2019 that triggered a red light camera and owe a fine.

I am not sure whether to be impressed that they found me or disappointed that they took almost 5 years to send me a letter.

The most annoying part is I don't remember this at all and the ticket says the light was red 00.2 seconds when I crossed it.

I almost want to contest the fine, but it will be hours of time and I can see a judge saying that 00.2 seconds over is still over.

look up the statue of limitations for running a red light. Also see if they haven't gotten rid of red light cameras or some state law has been passed stating they're bullshit (because of stuff like this).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Also, what happened in 1991, 2004, and 2016/2017 that rocketed up the virginity rates in those years?

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1684506665234894849
1991: Clinton elected, lots of younger people voted for him (first time voters), Republican young males who supported Bush found to be distasteful partners.

2004: narrow re-election of Bush Jr, young Republican males increasingly rejected as mates.

2016: Trump beats first viable female candidate for President, is vile, young male Republican supporters are vilified and rejected at historic rates as online profiles on Tinder state such things as ‘swipe right if you’re a Trump supporter, not interested’ and news stories of single Republican males having to hide their political orientation to even get dates abound.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i don't own a smartphone, i had to watch videos saved on my hard drive to pass the time, just like a loving cave man

Post pics of your flip phone grandpa.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I had a Verizon-exclusive flip phone (I forget which model, but it was blue and you could flip it up sideways for a keyboard) for 11 years and only switched to a Smart Phone because I broke it and they said they literally didn't have any non-Smart Phones left.

It was a Samsung Galaxy S3 and I had it for 12 years until I replaced it last year.

They lied.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The only song sequel that comes to mind is ‘Judy’s turn to cry’ (a sequel to the smash hit ‘Its My Party (and I’ll cry if I want to)’ by Leslie Gore.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

lmao.

How did nobody even preview the headline before they put it up to publish?

Thats loving amazing.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rappaport posted:

I wonder what 30-somethings would say about WW2, and who were the Axis and the Allies.

Hell, have them explain Vietnam.

WWII is drilled endlessly into the heads of schoolchildren from grade school on in America, and plenty of Hollywood movies have reinforced the broad strokes.

Vietnam is... iffy. My brother thought we won in Vietnam because of Rambo.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rappaport posted:

I realize WW2 has a lot of cultural osmosis behind it, but I'm mildly curious how that translates to factual knowledge of what happened, never mind why. Of course that latter one is a doozy in any conflict, and this wasn't a question to the kids about nine-eleven either :unsmith:
If you had asked those kids ‘who attacked America on December 7th 1941’ a lot more of them would’ve answered correctly. If you asked who were we fighting in WWII the majority could’ve answered and gotten two out of three (lots of people forget Italy). If you’d asked them why we were fighting drat near all of them could’ve answered with variations on ‘they were trying to take over the world and doing things like the Holocaust’ and basically described fascism without necessarily knowing the right word for it. Like it’s not even in question, my kid just took AP US history and was groaning about learning about WWII again since they’d covered it in grade school and the entire 8th grade had to do a WWII living museum project and had a holocaust survivor come talk to them.
Public school history classes love teaching about World War II because it’s the last time America was the ‘good guys’ and looked really good doing it and it appeals to both liberals (fighting fascism) and conservatives (winning wars with a strong military, ushering in the idyllic 50s nuclear family and fighting communism). Conservatives would grumble about the time spent on the Japanese internment camps or racism but by and large it was a safe topic and not nearly as glossed over as say, Reconstruction.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

American schooling varies tremendously from state to state and even from district to district. The history classes I got in school mostly just covered 1776-1865, with basically zero mention of anything that happened in the 20th century.

While there isn't a whole lot of high-profile polling from reliable organizations about what people know about WWII, the few polls that have been done suggest that the people who weren't around for WWII tend to know that their country fought the Nazis, but not much beyond that.

This page covers some of the more reliable polls. In a 1994 poll, less than half of Americans knew what D-Day was. In a 2004 poll, 60% of Americans knew who the enemy army was on D-Day, but the number decreased with age, and less than half of the 30-and-below age group was able to answer correctly.

It's not unique to Americans, either - Canadian and British polls have found similar levels of ignorance about the details of WWII.
Did you go to school in the south? Because when I was in school (80s-early 90s) every year was Pilgrims-First Thanksgiving-Revolutionary War/War of 1812/Declaration of Independence-Civil War (paragraph of reconstruction) Manifest Destiny/Westward Expansion (Oregon Trail playing!) -WWI-Roaring 20s-Great Depression (unionization/labor movement-go growing up in Flint)-WWII-McCarthyism/Cold War-Civil Rights movement Oop MLK got shot Kennedy got shot RFK got shot Johson signed the Civil Rights Act ended racism and that’s all we have time for have a good summer!

The lions share of that time was spent on the Revolutionary War, Civil War, and WWII. So many dates/locations of battles and names of generals…

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

Yes, Florida in the 90s. It was divided up totally differently. One year we'd cover the colonial era, the next year the Revolutionary War, the next year went up to the War of 1812 or so, and so on, each year covering a couple of decades in significant detail. Elementary school got up to the end of the Civil War, and then we went to middle school and history classes went back to 1777 and started the whole sequence over (in even greater detail now that we were older and could retain more). High school covered a bit of the early 20th century, I think, but I came out of school not having a drat clue what the Vietnam War was, let alone the Korean War.

Did they not watch M*A*S*H in Florida?! (that and having a Korean best friend growing up were responsible for most of what I knew about the Korean War). My stepdad was a Vietnam vet and it was in the news quite a bit growing up but basically ended the year I was born so basically Rambo movies, Platoon, Good Morning Vietnam and Full Metal Jacket kept the gist of it in the GenX consciousness.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

during my 90s childhood, the people around me usually watched shows and movies from the 90s, not shows from the 70s

and then when the mid-00s rolled around it was just Fox News all day long

My dad watched MASH religiously. That and Cheers. We only had one tv so what he watched, we watched. And this was the 80s not the 90s.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rappaport posted:

Quick, Oracle, what do you think these fellas know about the second world war?

Ironically enough, they’d probably do better on those questions than their families personal lives.

This is just another example of women being expected to do all the social-emotional labor in the family from attending parent teacher conferences to making doctors appointments to sending their husbands’ mothers’ birthday and Christmas presents (labeled as from their husbands of course). I’d be surprised if any of these guys knew the names of their own doctors because their wives probably schedule that too. But I bet they could tell you who won the 1968 World Series.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Along with the Hamster in a Blender game from JoeCartoon.com.

Wasn’t that a frog? I think you’re conflating it with Hamster Dance (which is 25 this year).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Possibly blinded by being in a DINK household of middle-aged online shoppers.

I just don't think that FNF has the cultural cachet to carry a movie in the same way that Mario or Sonic does. $200 million means a huge amount of people who don't play the games went to see it.

Kids have two parents at least one of which they will have dragged along. Also people can see a movie more than once.
As the mother of a kid was both traumatized and fascinated by fnaf back in the day, yes, it’s that popular and has been for a decade. Not Minecraft popular but it’s up there and has gone through about ten years of grade schoolers.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

Thanks for the answers, work has been busy today and I didn't really get a chance to look more closely. The answers were definitely dumber than I expected, so thanks for the chuckle

What I want to know is how the furby people managed this in the days before widespread online social media. they were terrifying and I can't imagine wanting to own one, even ironically

They were pretty cool for the time period technology wise. You could put a bunch of them together and they’d interact with each other. Also the CIA banned them from their offices in Langley, which made them forbidden fruit that freaked out spies thus cool.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

an egg posted:

it's post-apocalyptic. things were very different before they invented the pokeball.

i wish someone would make a game where you build an ecosystem and the creatures arrive of their own accord and you don't force them to fight, but let them kill and eat each other in harmony as nature intended

Viva Piñata

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

BougieBitch posted:

I played the first one way back when, it was okay but not enough for me to want to find the sequel. I feel like part of the problem was a lot of them were really cute, so having to beat them to death to attract vulture pinatas or whatever always felt kind of bad to child me

Nature is cruel and heartless

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

lol the exhaustion in my tutor's voice (postgraduate) when they say "academic writing should be in the third person"

sadly i'm still in a rural area, so i kind of just have to fly my freak flag alone

my dad used to get melancholic about the fact that people don't do garage bands anymore and tbh i agree with him

My kids buddies have one. He’s 15. Their parents were in bands and raised them on a pretty varied diet of 90s alternative and they even cut an LP. They aren’t bad either, it’s fun to play ‘guess the influence’ on their songs.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

that's excellent. playing music with others is one of those skills that is being lost in this generation and it's so important for the social brain. it requires real encouragement and understanding on the part of the parents too, you're doing a great thing for them.

Thanks. It helps to have a local all ages club that serves food and not liquor (until 9pm after their sets). These kids are not really into alcohol like it’s necessary to have a good time either (tho the vaping, ugh).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

classic americana gives me a feeling of deep cold melancholy that is quite unlike anything else on earth

There’s Polish cos players who rp Midwest backyard bbqs. https://www.vice.com/en/article/g5vpbx/poland-larp-america-ohio

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

this has inexplicably lifted my mood

Right? Like how do you even dress for that without a Walmart. Also people wanting to send them genuine red Solo cups lol

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

the total capitalist domination of publication of creative work has led to role-playing in all its forms taking off in a way hitherto unseen in human history

I think it has more to do with a greater desire for escapism into an alien world with problems that are appealing in their alien ness as the real world becomes increasingly untenable. For USAians that’s armor and orcs, for poles it’s cousin Betty’s done run out of insulin again and it’s only halfway through the month can she convince her baby daddy who works at the Walmart pharmacy to hook her up with enough supply to enjoy two servings of Meemaw’s ambrosia salad at the bbq without going comatose.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

seriously thank you so much for sharing that article, for some reason that glimpse into a parallel universe was exactly what i needed at this moment in my life

Happy to help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

i would strive for professional success if it meant i got to wear a long flowing robe in everyday life, preferably with a cowl

There are judgeships in every county of this great country my man. Run for office. Some don’t even require a law degree!