Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm finally getting into CKII after having it in my Library for 6 years. Is Ireland still the recommended start for beginners?

Also, I picked up the Humble Bundle DLCs that allow for starts earlier than 1066. Should I start off at one of these earlier dates?

One thing that I'm still not sure about is how to see how many troops an opponent can muster before I declare war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Another newbie question: The built in tutorial made fabricating claims look really easy, but on the couple of starts that I tried, my Chancellor was topping at 10%/year odds of success. Is that normal or are there ways to game fabrication chances to make them more likely?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Making progress on my first playthrough, but is there any way to change the default color scheme for Realm view? Trying to tell different shades of green apart isn't impossible, but it's getting old.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

What is Retinue?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

GHOST_BUTT posted:

It's the one where your wife is demanding weird poo poo to eat. Your options are a hare's head, a quail's foot, or a fish's eye, which can give harelip, clubfoot, or ugly, respectively, to your future child; or you can just let her eat whatever she wants which gives her glutton. It's a pretty common pregnancy event.

e: it's kind of a bummer of an event because there isn't really a good outcome, but pound for pound letting your wife (or yourself) be a glutton is probably the most optimal choice under the circumstances. The rest give hereditary traits which are going to take forever to breed out, glutton you can get rid of via societies.

:psyduck: that's what's going on??

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Well after a couple false starts, I've managed to get the crown of Erie on Murchad. He's 51. I could probably scoop up most of the rest of the Island before he dies, but I feel like that could be a quick way to destabilize what I've already got (especially because one of my counties is a heresy stronghold.)

My goal is to have the Island unified by the time the Crusades start happening.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Is there any way to re-embark onto ships once they've landed on enemy territory without running back to friendly territory?

This would seem like an important detail if I wanted to raid to/from England.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My Ireland run took a pretty fantastic turn when I came out as the primary contributor of the Crusade despite my army never reaching the Holy Land (thank you AI for counter-invading Rome), and my eldest daughter was made Queen of Jerusalem. I switched over to her and was either fighting or getting ready to fight pretty much every step. Her personal combat stat was well above 100, even after hitting old age.

A second crusade was called for Egypt. Nice, I had just finished roughing up the Fatimids, so they were ripe for a second rear end-kicking. But then the Crusade got re-directed to Byzantium! The Byzantines had been doing pretty well and had even been helping me in Egypt. But when the crusade hit, the Empire just exploded into a dozen components. And even though I didn't make it to Constantinople, I was still the main contributor.

I didn't switch over, but if I did I totally would have changed Constantinople's name to "Eirestanbul".

It was also around this time that I noticed that my ruler's birthday was December 25.

In summary it was a near-ideal run marred only by her death being the result of the court physician cutting her leg off to treat her cold. (and I was at war at the time so my head-cannon is troops made sure to tell a better story after pushing the doctor off a parapet.)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

How much of the middle east do I need to control to enable the Outremmer decision?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My first play-through is going well. I've been blobbing up the Middle East as a crusader kingdom. But at one point upon my heir taking the thrown I found out she was secretly Sunni.

I decided to abandon that, but it left me wondering how I would pull off the CKII equivalent of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNgxyL5zEAk

EDIT: Actually, this is more accurate, now that I think about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTOElx4nT6w

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Sep 2, 2019

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Well my vassals and I have managed to eliminate every Muslim independent, and there's about eighty years left. The Aztecs have come and gone and the Mongols converted. So I'm wondering what's left to do - I'm not in the mind for something too radical, but I'd like something to work towards.

(also is there a bug where bloodlines just fall off? I created the Alexander bloodline, but it seems to have disappeared on my main family).

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

How do you check a character's history? I'm trying to figure out how the King of Hungary got some of my counties even though I had inheritance controls enacted.

Also I'd like recommendations on what I should do for my next start. A few things I would like to learn:
-Nomads. I eventually want to do a Khazar run but where would be a good place to learn their mechanics?
-A vassal start, either in or out of the HRE.
-A good spot to learn how to be a Viking.

EDIT: There isn't an SA discord channel for CK2, is there?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 3, 2019

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Technowolf posted:

If you click on the county shield that brings up the info screen for the title. That has a 'History' button that gets you the current and past owners of the title and how they got it. Also check that the counties in question were in your de jure territory and not somebody else's (crown laws only affect the title's de jure territory)

Does it matter if you're primary title is Empire? I formed Outremmer but I noticed that I can have separate Crown laws for Outremmer and Jerusalem. Since I handed out the other kingdom level titles to manage my vassal limits I think they're laws might be different.

EDIT: What are some tips on recruiting for a secret society? Specifically the Old Christians?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 3, 2019

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I see there are rules for reforming pagan religions, but can this also be done with Abrahamic relgions?

Specifically, I'm pretty certain my heiress is secretly Sunni, as are a lot of my other subjects. Could I create my own branch of Islam just on account of controlling all their holy sites?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Various Meat Products posted:

No. But you could convert to one of the less popular branches like Ibadi or a heresy and become the Caliph of that.

How would I do that? Let's presume that my character's religion is still secret. Do I have to proclaim my faith first?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm still not sure how I would go about converting to a heresy. Especially for a secret religion.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Well my ruler died, and during the succession the game took the whole secret religion thing out of my hands, and next thing I knew: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIOMEymyLnY&t=541s. :jihad::hf::russo:

Which I'm cool with. This first full playthough is turning into a smorgasbord of gameplay modes. However:

1) What would I have needed to do if I wanted to avoid this?

2) I'm up to double digit catholic revolts. I assume there's just no getting around this, but are there some ways to mitigate this?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 5, 2019

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So in the middle of my Top-10 Anime Betrayal playthough, I get the immortality event chain. I manage to get through all of it, which results in my ruler (who was rather young to start thinking about her own pending demise, but it's the Middle Ages so whatever) dies and reincarnates as a baby that's somehow my now-dead characters newborn daughter.

While that was interesting (and the kid had high stands for a baby, don't get me wrong), I'm not sure how I would go about putting that character at the head of my dynasty since she had 5 half-siblings ahead of her on the succession list..

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Anyone else having trouble with the CK2 wiki? There's stuff that I want to reference and not being able to is frustrating

e;fb

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've started a Khazar playthough. Doing pretty well, but I have some questions:

1) What are the most important factors for selecting my capital county? I got Kiev and having 6 slots seems like a good thing. On the other hand, there's my Silk Road harbor. It doesn't have as many holding slots, but might be more useful for generating income. Or is my capital county something I should be regularly moving depending on who I'm going after?

2) My clans are doing a good job subordinating surrounding tribes, but is there any way to get them to remove the chiefs and pillage the tribe holdings? Or is this something I'd need to hand-hold them on?

3) Is there any reason that I should have nomadic tributaries when I could be controlling them directly?

4) Trying to figure out the best plan for creating Israel. The biggest challenge looks to be dealing with lots of hostile neighbors in the aftermath. As far I see, there are two options:
---Subjugate the Abbasid in a single go, then form Israel as a vassal kingdom. It seems that I would be spending lots of time dealing with peeved off Muslims and there's a risk that even Israel gets tired of my nomad hyjinks. Plus there is the eventual crusade I'd have to deal with.
---Unite as much as the steppes as I can and wait for the Crusades and the Sunni/Shia split to minimize the number of countries that can attack me in unison. The main risk I see here is that everyone is more developed, and I might have to fight more than one realm to control all of Israel.

EDIT: Also I have too many courtiers in my court according to the game. Is this something I should be concerned with?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 9, 2019

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

What's a good start for After the End?

EDIT: Still unclear on what's the strategy for expanding secret societies. My last playthrough I only got two people to adopt my faith secretly, and neither joined the secret society aftwerwards.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 10, 2019

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Would New York be a good place to learn playing a Merchant Republic for the first time?

EDIT: I'm still very much in the trying stuff out phase.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Regarding Nomad Clans: is there any reason why I shouldn't be working towards having only my clan?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Thanks.

Still looking for tips on spreading secret societies, especially who to target for recruitment.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

How do you make an Antipope?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So I just had a loving nobody survive 15 assassination attempts in a row.

And then to add injury to insult he beat me in a duel despite me having a 100 skill versus his 20.

Is there some hidden "just will not loving die" trait?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Doing a Rothschild run for AoE. Things are going good, but i'm unsure how I convert Brooklyn and other counties to Orthodox. My court rabbi has a very poor chance of making the conversion. Is there some other way?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

luxury handset posted:

it's going to be super tough. orthodox is a very minor faith, added to the base mod as a submod and then added in the fan fork main branch because the guy who wrote the submod is the creator of the fan fork. so, it's in there as a challenge run

the problem is your moral authority is super low, and nobody wants to be part of a chump religion. you need to raise it, by having orthodox holy sites under the control of orthodox rulers. so, as lazar rothschild you need to be the grand mayor of the gotham republican duchy, which it sounds like you are. check the intrigue screen - can you build the new yeshiva in brooklyn? after that, you should see an event to seat a grand rebbe and this should pump up your moral authority to where people will start to find your religion attractive. also check for nearby holy sites - there are five for orthodox:

-manhattan
-brooklyn
-washington
-charleston
-palm beach

you already have manhattan and brooklyn. washington will be tough because you will have to fight all the americanists for it, and you don't have a good cb for this. charleston is more distant but might be grabbable if the HCC schisms, try to park a trade post there. palm beach is the furthest but might be the easiest get as the caribbean implodes quickly and regularly, plus if it's still a merchant republic in miami you can just fight to gank the trade post

Unfortunately, I can't build the New Yeshiva in Brooklyn because it's not Orthodox. That's why I wanted to know if there was a way to get it converted.

EDIT: Nvm, My rabbi just schmoozed the Torah into them! Now I just need to save up the piety.

EDIT2: And he died of Slow fever as he did it, what a trooper!

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 15, 2019

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My Orthodox New York game is proceding nicely. But one thing concerns me: I've been following the thread advice of murdering the other Patrician families. But even though I've converted Manhattan and a bunch of other counties, the new Patrician families are still Americanist (who've been getting decimated, in part thanks to me.)

Is that just something that's hardcoded into New York? Or will new families switch over at some point?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

By the way, when I say my game is going pretty well, here's what I mean (It's 2751):

Aside from my Empire, the Dellsmen converted to Orthodox. While I was fighting the Holy War for Carolina, the Ursuline's launch a Crusade for a chunk of the Dellsmen. I'm able to win a Holy War against the Confederacy, sail my troops and mercs up north, and push back the Ursuline Crusade, all while keeping my cash reserve above 7K.

FAKE EDIT: I tried to transliterate "New Israel" for my custom name but I probably messed it up.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

What are some general tips on playing a tribal government? I want to play as either (AtE) Norse or Gaian once I'm ready to move on from my current game.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

You'd think after the first time I made my heir also the court tutor, I'd know better.

And yet:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Well I just died.

EDIT: Another advantage of having your heir be a rival I'm discovering is that everyone wants you to get in on their plot to murder him :v:

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 18, 2019

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

FreudianSlippers posted:

For a dynasty called "Red Shield" that shield isn't quite red enough.

The default shield is actually plain red. Had I known that's what the name means I would have left it alone.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So, uh:

How do I get gun?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Lousy Redcoats didn't bring me a gun :saddowns:

I've got a bunch of weak claims in my bloodline on a large tribal government, but I can't figure out how to set up the circumstances to launch a claim war. Since the government is Elected Gavelkind it doesn't seem like there's going to be a time when there's a kid in charge. And all my claimants are women. I launched a debt war, thinking I can force a regency while their ruler is imprisoned, only to discover that I can't declare war on Realms if I have their ruler imprisoned*.

Also what are the triggers for establishing the MacArthur Bloodline (or the Alexander Bloodline in the base game). I have the resources to do it, and it's the one last thing I need to start The Blobbening in earnest.

EDIT: What the best way of dealing with all these loving pirates?

*EDIT2: Thinking about it, I now realize why this is the case (since having the ruler imprisoned automatically wins you the war).

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 19, 2019

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Technowolf posted:

Can you find a way to trigger a civil war? IIRC that lets you press weak claims too.

What sort of things could I normally do to start a civil war in another realm?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Technowolf posted:

Stab rulers until someone incompetent or unpopular gets on the throne and stab vassals until someone ambitious rules.

Thanks for the advice.

(The sad thing is there was a window where I could have pressed a claim, but it opened just as I got the Redcoat Invasion warning. I turned down the opportunity not knowing what to expect, but while the invasion was definitely :stare:-worthy, it wasn't gently caress You numbers of troops like the Sunset Invasion. Looking back I think I could have pulled off a two-front war. Oh well, part of learning this game is coming to appreciate your less-than optimal decisions).

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Pardon the double post, but is there a mod to give Jihads and other Great Holy Wars the same mechanical support as Catholic Crusades (so two year prep, monetary contributions and rewards, ability to influence the target, etc)?

EDIT: sacre bleu:

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The Grand Rebbe has been pretty ambitious with calling Great Holy Wars, but I think this one takes the (bland, passover-kosher) cake:

Why sure, Rebbe, I'll march across the entire continent, no way this won't be a total logistical nightmare :suicide:

EDIT: Damnit, I won too. This is only going to encourage him!

This is why I want the Crusade interface for non-catholics, so I can pull the Rebbe aside when he's snorted too much coke.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 22, 2019