Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tercio posted:

i forgot how painful new patch let's plays can be, as new events happen and the hapless youtuber flails around for five minutes attempting to explain why it happened, only to get it completely wrong

Yeah I can't watch youtube LPs of Paradox games because of this. It is amazing that they have poured so many hours into these games yet somehow still don't understand how they work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
To be fair, I think part of it is that you aren't really giving the game your full attention when you're streaming, because you're also trying to entertain an audience and that's going to be distracting even if you can't actually SEE your audience. You probably don't want to actually stop and read a popup when you know people are there watching you.

Although it's not like every YouTube LP is just a livestream recording. So like... you can just read the popup and edit it down if it feels too long.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The curse of the streamer is to realize too late that the job isn’t “I get to play video games for a living”, it’s “I have to play video games for a living”

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

MATN has a long running ck2 empire of Cromwell campaign going, but he can be frustrating in that a) it's his first game ever and mistakes are made and b) he's notoriously bad at noticing things

The thing about let's plays is that the latter annoys me so much more than the former. I don't mind if they make dumb strategic decisions because it's more entertaining that way, especially in a game like CK2 where losing can be as interesting as winning so long as you don't get kicked right into a game over. What's frustrating is when they just cannot figure out how to do a thing that has a big button right on the main UI.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dallan Invictus posted:

The Equality and Enatic Clans religion features, as well as the Bon and West African pagan religions, allow female rulers to take male concubines by default.

There's nothing in the script that suggests that the equality laws or game rules will allow it, though (interestingly enough, it's possible to set up a society so members of a certain rank can take concubines, even if their religion wouldn't ordinarily allow it).

Well now someone has to mod in some kind of Eyes Wide Shut secret society. The only requirement is that you have the seduction focus.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SkySteak posted:

Is it normal for Catholic Moral authority to collapse to 0 in the Old Gods start? Like I don't know the exact Holy Sites but something could constant raiding/religious CBs do that?

If they're burning a lot of temples, yeah. There might also be a few antipopes kicking around which will nuke Catholic MA hard.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

If a commander loses their command for any reason they're considered "fired" which hurts your legitimacy because you "removed" a skilled commander from their post.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Asproigerosis posted:

there isn't a kind of hereditary memory for traits right? Like when I get the incest baby for bloodlines I'm not going to end up with Charles II 5 generations later because the game remembers?

The inbreeding traits are special because the odds of getting them are based on a formula that looks at shared ancestors between the two parents, so the more inbred a family tree is, the more likely it is to show up on children.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

QuoProQuid posted:

My genius Nestorian warrior-poet queen died trying to kowtow to the Mongolian Emperor and her kingdom was put in the defense of her club-footed, slow son. :negative:

We need a :xcom: emote for Crusader Kings 2.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So here's a weird thing - if you do the Spanish Reconquista, the event troops.... never go away? They don't regenerate so if you use them they'll die off eventually, but you also get more troops each time you take the decision again and conquor more territory.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

Can Basques do the Reconquista?

I think they can but I’m not 100% because my current game is Catalan. I checked Navarre before I started though and I’m pretty sure the culture descriptor for Basque mentioned the reconquista.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Some of the new event chains do seem to be a bit buggy. I had the children’s crusade stall out in Genoa with the “the kid is waiting for the ocean to part” fire three times before it actually ended.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tormented posted:

Is there really any game breaking bugs? It seems pretty bug-free.

There are a few bugs with events and I had one crash when I tried to join someone else’s reconquista war (this might have been because I was already in one and they might have been targeting the same territory - I don’t remember the details), but yeah so far it doesn’t seem that there’s anything that just plain doesn’t work.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

sexpig by night posted:

decided to get Holy Fury after not really playing much CK2 beyond loving around and thinking I was mainly just a guy who'd watch LPs and all but not play it myself.

I played one of the tiny norse guys just to get a hold of things but I think I'm probably gonna restart as one of the biggers, or maybe the slavic pagans. Regardless I had a blast, I've got all the major expansions and I forgot how engaging this game could be. I'm probably gonna bump my puny 33 hours played up a lot now...

Have they confirmed this is the last expansion, though? Does that mean CK3 is coming at some point or do we not know?

As far as we know it's the last one - there was a timeline released a few expansions ago that more or less lines up with what they've released and they haven't said anything since then that's indicated they've extended the planned content for CK2 (the game's getting pretty old at this point). Nothing has been said about a potential CK3, although it's not crazy to imagine that they might might have some internal pre-production happening. It's likely years away, though.

Palemdromes posted:

Someone asked about Basques and the Reconquista. The culture description definitely says they can, but I haven’t found a way to do it yet, even starting as navarra. Is it normally in the intrigue screen? Or via right click on yourself? Or right click on the target?

It's in the intrigue screen - you need a certain amount of piety, prestige, and cash to activate it. When you take the decision it activates a 2 year timer and event chain where you'll get a bunch of options to trade piety for cash from the pope, and trade cash for more event troops. As long as the timer is active you'll have a special CB you can use on any muslim ruler in Iberia where you can grab multiple duchies from them in one go (there are certain pre-defined sets you can claim so it might not always work out nicely).

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 20, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

snoremac posted:

I'm trying to change to primogeniture but don't understand what the condition "Any Held Title is a Viceroyalty" means. I've looked up that a viceroyalty is a title that returns to the crown on a vassal's death, but don't know how I go about getting one. I'm the King of Pictland with two duchies controlled directly and a few others handed to vassals.

That condition would be disqualifying, you don't want to fulfill it. Viceroyalties don't let you change the inheritance method because they use that to give the title back to the owner's lord on death.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

Can you get the murder bloodline through assassinations, or does it have to be executions?

Also, I played around a bit with the Assassins society, and there doesn't seem to be that much new stuff there, unfortunately.

I think it’s any kill at all. Even ones that aren’t known to the world at large like successful assassinations or satanic sacrifices will still count towards your body count. Winning duels and killing commanders on the battlefield should also count.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
One caveat to the “max gold from cities” thing is that troop requirements affect ships as well and if you have a vassal merchant republic they can supply a shitload of ships which you won’t get on 100% gold.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
A funny bug I've noticed: If you do the satanic baptism, when the kid comes of age for some reason both events fire on their parent, so you get one text box that says "it's time to usher them into the dark" and then a second with "My mom/dad woke me up in the middle of the night and took me to a strange place".

My current ruler is the empress of Hispania and got outed as a satanist so all of her vassals hate her... but she's also the head of the satanic order so now my mission is to just recruit them all so even if they hate me they'll all have the "loyal servant" automatic success modifier to any diplomatic action, although annoyingly their negative opinions still prevent me from changing inheritance laws. I feel like the -50 general opinion for being outed as a demon worshipper shouldn't apply to other satanists. I haven't been crowned yet, and also got excommunicated (and the pope keeps asking me to change to gavelkind to lift my excommunication so gently caress that) so my main goal has been to try to flip to a heresy or just switch to free investiture (unfortunately I already changed crown laws as this character so unless I roll the immortal event I probably won't live long enough to change them again. Then again she is only 28, can eat her children as a satanist, AND already won the "chess with death" event so maybe she'll be like the one character in this game to live past 35).

*edit* I managed to get my excommunication lifted by joining a crusade. I got coronated during the preparation period and decided to crown myself because hey, I'm basically the Pope of satanism, and was immediately excommunicated again. I had to pay the Pope 1600 gold just to show up and get myself excommunicated but hey, I'm legitimate now.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 23, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

snoremac posted:

How does the Pope pick recipients in crusades? He loves me and I don’t know why. My kingdom is uniformly catholic, maybe he likes that.

Do you have a claim on the target title? I think that's the only reason the Pope will pick a recipient directly.

Unrelated: It seems like the "can plot for titles" bloodline is a bit bugged - any time I start a plot for a title I wouldn't be able to plot for normally, it immediately cancels after one day ticks by. In the list of all available plots it still shows up as valid and lets me select it, but it still cancels. I feel like what might be happening is it's checking qualifications the same way it did before bloodlines, so it just sees "oh this isn't in your capital duchy or held by a vassal with more than one title, you can't plot for this" even though the bloodline should allow you to.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 23, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

binge crotching posted:

One of the murder bloodlines has a description that claims to let you plot by yourself, but I haven't tested it yet.

e: Yep, HF.24113 has a 3000 month MTTH (can drop as low as 25.8 months with modifiers) to manually execute him yourself if you have the correct murder bloodline. The success of it has a pretty big modifier based upon how much more combat rating you have, in addition to the usual intrigue score.

A thing to bear in mind about this is that it's an event that has a chance to fire in addition to the normal plotting events. So it basically adds a second roll to your chances of killing someone, raising the overall speed of plots.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wolfechu posted:

Couple of quick questions, currently doing an Ireland/Mumu run to get the basics back in my head with Holy Fury:

1) How do you get the bloodline ambition to be available? I think I've only even seen it as an option on one ruler this game, and it's like 1350 at this point.

2) I'm embarrassed to say how many hours I've played this game before realizing when you have the option to lock someone up, you can see why on their character sheet (stabbing, plotting a claim, etc). But now and then I've had a few people come up with the 'can be imprisoned' notification, and there's nothing showing as to why. Am I missing the reason elsewhere?

1) You need to have at least 5000 personal prestige. I don't think there's any requirement beyond that (I think you're also blocked if the character already has an ambition bloodline on them, even if they didn't create it themselves, but I'm not 100% on that).

2) Some of the reasons aren't immediately obvious - if they're discovered BACKING a plot it won't show on their main character page but it will show in the list of discovered plots on your intrigue page. This will still render them eligible for arrest.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm currently in the middle of a Pope murder spree because I'm trying to get a satanist Pope so I can diplomatically vassalize them. And I've managed to get TWO satanists into the position only for them to either immediately loving die, or get involved in a decade long Jihad and croak before ever being at peace.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

binge crotching posted:

It was possible to eat random courtiers when you lock the gates during a disease outbreak. There would be an event eventually that would have one of your courtiers (possibly only ones with gluttonous?) eating the last of the rations. You could put meat back on the menu if you wanted.

Yeah there's a few events with "cannibalize someone" and "some other option (often with penalties)" and I think if you already have the cannibal trait then you don't even get the other options.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So eldership is basically just "pick whoever you DON'T want to be your heir", it seems like. If you switch your vote to whoever the elders favour they'll all immediately decide they're unqualified and pick someone else, and I have no idea how you're supposed to make them happy because they don't seem to actually care about anything you do.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

Traits play a role in assessing a bride's worth, so being attractive gives your daughter a few more pluses in that category.

Also, political concerns can also be the AI being savy. They are reluctant to marry their daughter to your oldest son and heir, if you are bordering them and at least close to equal in their power. For the same reason why you want to marry them. Because they fear that your grandson will press his claims on their realm. So it's usually easier to search for more distant relatives that still give you an inheritable claim.

But not wanting a non-aggression pact because they plan to attack you in the future is also a possibility.

Yeah “political concerns” is annoyingly vague but it generally means “this would benefit you a lot more than it would benefit me”.

twistedmentat posted:

It's more moving my troops from Ireland to mainland europe. I only have transport for about 1300 at a time.

So to reduce my demanse down, I was defying the council to give titles to unlanded courtiers, which lead to my Marshall force all of the other nobles to rise up against the tyranny of me...lessening my tyranny. Then my current king died of a cold and they gave up the rebellion. Then I tried to imprison the former Marshall, who caused a smaller rebellion, to which my new king promptly lost by being bitten by a snake in his boot. So now I have a king that's married to the daughter of a Norse adventurer because I figured my second son would never inherit the throne.

I still can't find a "press all claims" option.

“Press all claims” only shows up if you have multiple STRONG claims against a single target, which is fairly rare outside of specific circumstances. The thing to bear in mind is that pressing one claim at a time isn’t a big deal because truces are between people, not realms. Meaning if you press a claim against England and the the king suffers an unfortunate accident immediately after the war ends, the truce is nullified and you’re free to press another claim with no penalty.

As for the giving away titles thing, you can usually get away with being one or two over your demense limit without significant penalty (basically at that level the penalties and benefits from the extra land tend to exactly cancel out) and at three or more the council will be a lot more permissive about letting you give titles away to anyone. If you’re trying to give away titles anyway and the council is giving you trouble, remember that you can just fire everyone and stock the council with loyalists to get whatever you need done. You can re-hire them after a short delay so they usually won’t have enough time to organize a large rebellion before you can put them back in the council and force them out of any factions they’d joined/started.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'd say that it was historical since it's why so many emperors ended up not managing their empires correctly and let them start to decay, but those emperors had the choice to just let the outer rim manage itself and the player really doesn't.

Sure you do - that’s what tributary states are for (yeah I know this technically doesn’t paint the map with your realm but it puts your name over them).

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 26, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

What really annoys me are the times that I'm trying to preserve little states around me against the other rising powers. I get an anti-aggression pact, and then I want to form an alliance to protect it, but then it shies away because of "political concerns."

I guess sometimes I just wanna play Europa Universalis without colonization.

Yeah the trouble with alliances is that they’re two-way and the AI doesn’t know that you intend to protect them - it assumes you’re just going to drag them into wars against your own enemies who would likely be way too strong for them to fight. There isn’t really any form of pure defensive alliance - you can use the Jade Dragon “establish tributary state” DB to create a special relationship that allows them to call you into wars but not vice-versa (in exchange for income and troop replenishment), but there’s no way to establish this relationship peacefully.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I imagine they’ve built up a pretty big wishlist of stuff they’d do in CK3 at this point that’s technically possible in 2 but would take far more effort than it’d be worth.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Volkerball posted:

Cool! Do they affect your trade post limit?

I'd expect no since I imagine the connection to unlanded males is also hard-coded (a lot of Merchant Republic stuff is).

So how does this work, then? I'm pretty sure when you reform a religion with enatic clans or equality it specifically blocks the decision to convert from a tribe to a republic. Is there another way to force gender law changes?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

darthbob88 posted:

FTFY. You need the actual jpg link for that to work right. And yeah, while that's quite a reward, I'm distracted by everything else. Muslim France, Pictland in London, Saxony in Ireland, dharmic Bulgaria, and WTF are those shields in Lithuania and Italy?

Those are Taoist shields. It might be a random world with semi-historical settings.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Anias posted:

Ck2 does a nice job showing how power corrupts

The best steam review ever written is for CK2, and it's simply "I thought I was a moral person. I was wrong".

TomViolence posted:

my deeply cursed playthrough just got hosed by the pope again

a loving possessed, cannibal pope at that

i was one province away from reforming the roman empire, launched a war against the terrifying 80,000 strong army of the holy (false) roman empire to claim it. halfway through the war my emperor dies but the succession goes pretty smoothly but for one thing: my son is orthodox. of course this doesn't seem like a huge red flag at the time

but lo and behold, as we crest 85% war score against the kaiser, the pope - who is my vassal - announces a crusade.

a crusade for thrace

once triggered, the crusade absolutely splinters my realm, thanks to the many, many catholic vassals that years of successive catholic rulers have converted or given titles all having pledged themselves. my beleaguered armies have been whittled down from 75,000 to about 35,000 from protracted battle, siege and attrition in my war with the HRE and there's a solid 100,000 - most of them my erstwhile vassals - burning every inch of thrace to the loving ground

kill all popes.

Looks like you just got 4th crusaded, son.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 27, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So Ragnarr has been busy:

(not pictured: the one he also gets automatically just for being Ragnarr Lodbrok)

The funny thing is that I got that forged bloodline immediately after picking the ambition because I already had 50 kills at that point.

Also don't ask me what's going on with Europe in these pictures - West Francia exploded like 30 years in and I have no idea why. Half of those huge realms are just duchies. One thing I really like about Holy Fury is the new "mass conversion" system. I've been having a ton of nearby pagan rulers come to me to convert to reformed Germanic which is a lot more interesting than the old reformed paganism where once you reformed you were basically the only ruler to follow your religion at that point, so it was basically just a special superpower of your particular kingdom rather than like, an actual religion that might spread outside your borders naturally.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Nov 27, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

TomViolence posted:

I managed to get the alexander bloodline on the same character as I did one of the vile tyrant type ambition event chain ones, before the pope made everything explode.

The Alexander bloodline isn't considered the same as an ambition bloodline. You're only restricted from gaining bloodlines specifically from taking the ambition - any other bloodline can still be created through events. Up in the thread I posted a Ragnarr screenshot who founded two more bloodlines after doing the ambition.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Charlz Guybon posted:

Anyone got that event from the Dev diaries where an evil pope makes an open cannibal kinslayer a saint and plunges Catholicsm into a continent wide civil war? Is that event chain working?

Meanwhile, in my last pre-Holy Fury game, the HRE marches on

I've seen the "Pope made a bad saint" event pop up although I don't recall there really being much in the way of consequences for it when it happened.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Midnight Voyager posted:

I wish baptisms popped up better. I also wish I could handle the baptism of my grandkids while I'm at it.

You can manually baptize any of your kids (I think up to age 2) by right clicking on them - you only get the popup for the first one. The fact that you can't baptize your grandkids is annoying though since your landless children won't do it.

Broken Cog posted:

Half of my character seems to end up with cancer, the other half live a life of stress and depression.

Yeah I don't know if they made stress/depression more common or what but it seems like 90% of my characters end up dying in their 30's of "severe stress".

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

evenworse username posted:

The 'Fourth Crusade' chain is pretty awesome, although the size of the bribe to go attack Constantinople instead of the original Crusade target was really quite small. I think mine was a bit bugged because the Pope was both pissed at 'Impious Crusaders' and actively participating in the redirected Crusade.

Still, we shattered the Byzantine Empire, so that was fun.

Well, with the way the AI works the Pope can't really choose not to contribute to the war. He's always the warleader of the crusade and all the military AI sees is "I'm in a war, better get to fightin'". The fact that it's technically a war he doesn't actually want to be fighting doesn't really factor in.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

No Pants posted:

It's extremely well-known to people who study film and still gets referenced all over the place.

Yeah even if people don't actually get the specific reference to The Seventh Seal, the idea of "playing chess with death" has seeped into pop culture pretty heavily at this point. I mean poo poo a good chunk of the plot of Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey is based on that reference and that's not exactly a movie aimed at hardcore film nerds.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

snoremac posted:

Is it normal in a Charlemagne-era start for the Umayyad to dominate? As of 1008 they stretch from the borders of Ghana to Bohemia (which is also massive). The Spanish kingdoms never surfaced and France doesn't exist anymore. Even tucked up in Scotland & Ireland I'm getting a little worried about them.

Yeah they tend to blob, same with the Abbasids. A decadence revolt might come along and explode them but it's very random how long that might take or if it will even happen at all.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

luxury handset posted:

yes, the biggest reason to start in charlie is if you deliberately want to play a game in that early era. everyone likes the idea of starting from the earliest date but honestly the old gods start is early enough to be an epic marathon of history without also the off the rails blobs that form

The main thing about the Charlie start that you don't get in the later starts, even Old Gods, is tribals and pagans everywhere. Old Gods is obviously still pretty pagan-heavy but they've been pushed out of a lot of Europe and many of the ones that still are there are feudal rather than tribal (which you technically can't do normally but Old Gods was made before Charlemagne so there are still some feudal unreformed pagans).

Honestly the best start date is still probably the original start date and the variations around it (William the Conqueror, Alexiad). The earlier start dates are neat but there's not much in the game that actually requires that huge time frame to accomplish.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

That reminds me, when does Scotland stop being Pictland? It just bugs me seeing that because the Picts were a people that bothered the Romans. I could have sworn they were gone by the time of the Norman Invasion.

There are a bunch of cultures that shift over time from the Charlemagne start - it's a pre-designated event thing. Picts become Scots unless there's a particularly powerful Pictish ruler controlling the realm (Emperor level). So basically the cultures will always die out naturally unless something wildly ahistorical happens that preserves them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

Theoretically Holy Fury gives Christianity a bit more of a chance, with the reconquista on one side and Teutonic Knights and mass conversion on the other, but nobody's really reported on how well those stem the tide yet.

The thing about the Reconquista is that it's not the same thing as a crusade where any Christian ruler can join in - ONLY Iberian cultures can participate, and in the Charlemagne start that means it's literally just the one remaining christian kingdom. Even with a bunch of free event troops it's still an uphill battle for them, especially if it's under AI control where they won't be nearly as aggressive/smart about it as a player would.