Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

chaosapiant posted:

Can't see this page cuz I'm at work. Is this new DLC, or just that new starting age they were talking about?

936 bookmark start date, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
All of them should be turned on except maybe Sunset Invasion if you're a boring person.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Going full tyrannical is in fact so efficient that it makes the game kind of boring.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Even the worst people in the world can have happy pets.

I'm just imagining how the meetings must go with the cat, dog, and owl all about as a angel blessed lunatic rambles. Not to mention the two unholy impregnated children just for the hell of it.

E: Oh god I'm pretty sure one is the real spawn. This will be fun.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 17, 2019

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Still sad that mod didn't get finished because it looked like fun. :sigh:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
So it's been a few years since I've done any CK2 mods and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about what's good nowadays. CK2+ seems like it's being rewritten so that's out. HIP still pretty decent? Or any of the other bigger overhauls?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Randaconda posted:

Why are they rewriting CK2+?

:shrug: Just noticed the announcement here when looking through what mods are still about.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Lazyhound posted:

Nobody’s characters should be getting syphilis because it wasn’t recorded in Europe until 1494 and was probably brought back with Columbus.

e: I forgot about Sunset Invasion.

It's lowkey a can of worms that has been debated, tested, theorized, and modified so many times that the real origin of syphilis will probably never be known.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Land all the sons while also training them in intrigue. Last one standing wins.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Always fun to see the Aztecs pop early but this is really quite a thing. No idea what has been going on in Europe and with the ERE already dead it looks like Christianity itself may be doomed.

It's going to be a bloodbath.

E: Oh and Mongols also spawned - right into a massive fuckoff Western Protectorate that has gone through two expanionist golden age emperors already.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
I know this is almost certainly old news but I love the little detail for dragon's blood:

Where after enough time passes the picture becomes an actual dragon and changes their culture to 'dragon' because folklore.

Also being able to burn anyone alive for only piety cost and no opinion malus is great.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
With careful breeding you could get all the historical bloodlines involved.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Breeding in any bloodline that attracts great warriors is worth it just for the amazing commanders it spits out.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
I've been really enjoying HIP - minus the horrible UI and map mods - and its changes to make exponential growth harder.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

a fatguy baldspot posted:

SWMH or whatever? What’s wrong with it? I’ve been using the whole thing and it’s pretty fun

Losing a start date and big chunks of the east in exchange for a revamped map of dubious quality. If you're only interested in Europe then it's probably better though I still think the province balance is pretty wonky.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Speaking of Norse conversions:

The descendants of Ragnar want to convert to... zoroastrianism? :confuoot:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
I haven't noticed too much WP lunacy while using the shorter diplo range and only being able to interact while in said range. Still do see them spread through the plains occasionally though.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Adun posted:

Real Ck2 fans are more worried about whether or not I can marry my sister still.

I reached the zen moment in my Zoro game when I realized that the solution to dealing with inbred children was just to take all the best siblings and relatives as concubines as well while picking out whichever ones that weren't inbred from the list and pushing them into inheritance. It's actually horrifying to think about how many inbred children died as infants.

So CK3 has a lot to live up to :colbert:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Isn't there a Nestorian heresy that allows this?

Messalians. Which is a weird one because they probably didn't do incest. Also not very nestorian.

E: I do understand why they didn't want to add even more religious groups and nestorian is close enough.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Oct 20, 2019

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The schism is/was viewed as more of a disagreement that could eventually be healed while also having already been outside the direct purview of each other wrt taxes and general control. Heresies are more biblical in nature while also tending to hit closer to home and directly challenge the local dominant church.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Being able to pick and choose which heir to play as would fix a whole heap of problems especially if the other heirs are far superior and could unite the realm to overthrow the incompetent ones.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Not even talking about picking and choosing succession - just being able to play as a lesser landed heir and being able to to overthrow the others in a good family feud would add a lot.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The more batshit insane the event the better, imo. :colbert:
Like, I'd love to see rare events where dragons 'reappear', gods appearing on battlefields to laugh at the other gods during holy wars, mystical healers, selkies and kelpies and the other mythological beasties, lodges with actual animism and spirit animals, etc.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Kalenden posted:

So, now that CK3 has been announced, does that mean it is likely further development of CK2 will stop?

Thinking of jumping in now but if some DLC or a new patch is about to be released, I might hold off for a bit.

Probably. And it'll probably be a while after release before CK3 is actually playable just going off PDox history.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

ninjahedgehog posted:

Paranoid is probably my least favorite trait in the game because it gives you the "am I a cuck?" event for literally every single pregnancy whether or not you as a player have any reason to doubt your wife. It'd be one thing if you could game that event after the kid was born to potentially out some lovely heir as a bastard and disinherit them, but as is it's annoying as hell to pop up all the time.

Counterpoint: Paranoid makes you almost completely immune to assassination attempts.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Dirk Pitt posted:

2. How in the gently caress do I lose the cynical trait on my relatively young ruler? I got it on a botched pilgrimage :smith:. I've already done Scholarship, and am currently Theology focused, but I feel like I became zealous once already on this track. I want Sainthood dammit.

Join a monastic order and wait for the penance mission to pop. One of the random events in it gets rid of cynical.

Although apparently after looking at the wiki it may just be from completing the various missions in general so :iiam:

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 7, 2020

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Best Friends posted:

Is there a list of things HIP changes about the game? It seems to get a lot of positive impressions, but that's also been true of mods in other games I have not loved.

HIP is a mishmash of various mods that can be chosen when installing so:
Somewhat More Historical (SWMH) - Massive map overhaul that gets rid of the earliest start date and also a bunch of outer areas in the east and south in favour of more european accuracy. Contains a bunch of culture and religion overhauls. Personal preference.
Extended Mechanics & Flavor (EMF) - The real meat of the pack and the reason most will be playing it. This contains all of the balancing overhauls, extra mechanics, events, and oodles of extras. Essential.
ARKOpack - Interface and CoA overhaul. Personal preference. I personally don't like the font it uses for the interface and would suggest checking the link. The CoA part of the pack is decent and contains a bunch of historical flags and banners.
Cultures and Portraits Revamp Plus (CPRplus) - Additional portraits. Personal preference. Can look a bit silly at times but is very well done.
Lindbrooks Texture Map (LTM) - A map look overhaul. Supposedly more 'detailed' but I personally think it looks like poo poo so this is wildly biased. Take a look at the screenshots and see if it's for you.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Steely Dad posted:

How does this happen?

Probably excommunicated before becoming pope

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Out of curiosity, why is being a satanist best when you're a vassal? I haven't been one very often, but I always had the impression that you had to be careful, since your liege finding out could be catastrophic

Imprison your liege and turn them into a thrall. You can now declare any war you want against them and immediately demand their surrender. If you make sure to keep your thrall alive through the timers you can completely replace your liege in lands before couping them.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
While Silent Killer is probably better overall with its crazy Obfuscate I still can't stop myself from taking Dragon King every time it turns into one of those games. Being able to freely execute any prisoner without penalty and also get a stacking opinion bonus to boot makes just imprison-executing all of your problems away eminently viable.

CK2 makes bad people.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Tippis posted:

Also, iirc, the Dragon bloodline turns that nebbish guy you had to struggle with back in the mid-800s into an actual dragon, 400 years down the road. Can't really argue with that. :black101:

Rynoto posted:

I know this is almost certainly old news but I love the little detail for dragon's blood:

Where after enough time passes the picture becomes an actual dragon and changes their culture to 'dragon' because folklore.

Also being able to burn anyone alive for only piety cost and no opinion malus is great.

Yep. Takes a few generations at least before it flips though.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 20, 2020

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

Speaking of plots, is my impression accurate that in CK2 it is a million times better to have 1 80% plotter than 80 1% plotters?

If they have exceptionally low intrigue or some negative traits then they're a liability, yeah.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
I do like how one of the events is to just push your regent to their death.

Also had the event one time where my character was regent for a couple different rulers and after 20 or so years the event popped just offering said character the throne after declaring the sitting child-ruler incompetent. Easiest empire takeover ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Edit: Looks like it's something called Child of Destiny?

Yep! They get a bunch of bonuses and are quite rare. That's an impressive outcome of it for sure, though.