Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, by the way - sorry if this has been asked a hundred times already, (currently at work so I can't buy the expack and see for myself...and I haven't kept up to date on all the dev diaries, so I must've missed one mentioning this game mode) but are animal kingdom games ironman compatible? No big deal if not, though. But also, do the various races live as long as they should in reality, or do they have human lifespans? (i.e. hedgehogs living to around 5yrs. I hope they don't get 'short reign' penalties in their culture! :v:)

They're ironman compatible and have human lifespans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

Decided after a long life and with a full treasury it was time to search for a smith to get some crown jewels made. He wants 1300 ducats which is basically every ducat I have... then I get the event where he can make quality 4 instead of 3. Going 1000 ducats into debt won't be so bad I guess. How do I get rid of all these highway robbers and thieves guilds.

Getting back into positive cash is the only way I've found.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Crusader Kings II: a light bit of incest

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Banana Man posted:

Can you do a random shattered world combined

You can randomize cultures and religions in Shattered World if that's what you're looking for. You can even get the Animal Kingdoms.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

if i do shattered world with initial succession set to all primogeniture am I a coward?

Only if you don't do animal kingdoms and try to get as many species in your family tree as possible.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Several times now I've gotten an event after razing a holding that grants me a Strange Locked Box artifact. Is there any way to open it or is it just a lockbox joke?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

But that's held by the King of Abyssinia.

I thought it was in a nondescript government warehouse?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Doltos posted:

I wish they'd do more with Animal Kingdoms or someone would mod up something cool with them. I see no reason why Dragons can't be better in duels or Dogs have better vassal opinion. Also give me more portraits including weird abominations of half animals

If you're dragon culture you get +30 to duel ability and the ability to roast prisoners with your fire breath.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Crow Jane posted:

Just went to set up a shattered world start, and I feel it's my duty to inform the thread that there's now an "Animal World" option, where humanity's been wiped out and only animals remain. I think that's new?

Is that different from Animal Kingdoms?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

:same:

I certainly wish for more animal races, at least- how hard would it be to mod in some unicorns and lobsters or something?

If you play as a horse character, there's a rare event you can get where you can take a unicorn's horn for yourself. It's a crown that when worn makes you a unicorn. Also, apparently if you're a horse and have the Conqueror bloodline, then your descendants can randomly become unicorns too.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

CascadeBeta posted:

I haven't done much with random/shattered world, is there a way to do a mix of human and animal kingdoms?

Animal Kingdoms is mixed human/animal rulers. Animal World is pure animals.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

For those of you wondering about the various animal cultures, here's the various bonuses and penalties they get:

• Horse +10 Clan Sentiment +20 Mongol Opinion

• Cat +25% Fertility -5 Vassal Opinion +20% Murder Plot Power

• Bear Can eat prisoners +15% Morale of Armies +10 Personal Combat Skill

• Hedgehog Can always raid for loot +25% Fertility +20% Plot Power Defense

• Duck Can always raid for loot +25% Fertility +20% Siege Speed

• Dog +25% Fertility +5 General Opinion

• Elephant +2 Learning -25% Fertility +2 Health -20% Plot Power Defense +10 Personal Combat Skill

• Dragon Can always raid for loot. +10% Demesne Income -50% Fertility +4 Health -10 General Opinion +30 Personal Combat Skill Can burn prisoners

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

CascadeBeta posted:

Is picking a starting nation in shattered/random worlds just picking what kind of race/culture/religion you want to be then finding the county with the most holds or is there more nuance to it than that?

Pick the ruler whose name sounds the best.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Any pro tips for taking down a large Muslim kingdom?

I've been trying to assassinate their leaders in hopes that I can get someone decadent on the throne but it's a very slow process since the sultans have all been very popular.

Are you close enough to cuddle up to China?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Communist Walrus posted:

Why are my commanders constantly being reassigned? Seems like I need to check my armies after every single battle to make sure one of them didn't up and decide he's done soldiering. I'm aware of all the various things that might cause someone to stop commanding, but none of them appear to be the case here since the same commanders who deserted are available in the commander pool when I go to fill the now-empty spots

Were they landed vassals? I think landed vassals will sometimes either reassign themselves to their own armies, especially if they're at war/raiding.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Communist Walrus posted:

In this case I'm playing as the Byzantines, so yeah, they're all landed vassals of various types. If what you described is what's happening, there should really be an option for the player to lock in commanders and prevent this from happening (since the Byzantines can't use anyone except landed vassals as commanders) or at least an option to have the game auto-assign your commanders with the highest martial to lead your armies.

You could just use baron-level vassals, then. They (typically) don't have any raised armies so they'd always be available.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Node posted:

I still haven't gotten back into the swing of things. I'm playing in the HRE. How do I manipulate marriages to get claims on other duchies or kingdoms?

Make sure that you're marrying people with strong, inheritable claims.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

It's a weird shape and they have formed the Empire of Francia:

Is that a Rorsach test?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_puoy1JKKQ

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Dwesa posted:

Isn't that in game rules now? But I think if you enable it, it disables achievements.

Achievements are for nerds anyway.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

TaurusTorus posted:

I misread this as DUEL POPE bloodline, which should be a thing.

:same: on both statements

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

Aside from GoT mods, are there any other good must have mods out there?

Edit: bonus points if there is a solid Witcher mod that does justice to the politics and eccentricities of the Witcher universe as well as the GoT mod does.

After the End

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Is anyone else having an issue where when trying to open the game it crashes at 'Loading Graphics'?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

New Iron Century DD focusing on Muslim rulers at the time.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

GHOST_BUTT posted:

There's a legitimate argument to be made that this game is more fun when you don't know what you're doing. It's very good either way, and Arumba is solid as others have said, but as ever I say just start playing it and then post about the misadventures your inbred idiot satanist heirs get up to.

ftfy

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

super fart shooter posted:

I got the bundle and am playing for the first time since like Horse Lords. I'm playing the ol' Duke of Apulia game to see all the new stuff.

So now I'm the King of Sicily, but my vassal brother started a rebellion to become king. I was winning, but then out of nowhere, the Byzantine Army lands on our shores and starts siegeing one of the rebel provinces. He wasn't at war and didn't have diplomatic relations with anyone involved, but it said he was "hostile," presumably to both sides in our war. A little later he landed another army dangerously close to my personal lands and I got scared and white peaced out of the war, because I wasn't sure what he intended to do. Once the war was over he went neutral again and left.

So why was he "hostile?" And what prompted him to go out of his way to send armies across the sea to interfere in our war?

Are you sure he didn't declare war on your brother? If you have a save during the war click on the emperor and check his diplomacy.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Lesson learned: Do not ally with the King of England because he has many wars he will expect you to participate in.

Never ally Perfidious Albion.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

appropriatemetaphor posted:

What's the way to get piety and moral authority (I think?) for norse pagan? I want to reform but my piety blows and some % thing is below the 50 I need!

To add to what the others said: do county conquests. Those raise Moral Authority (the %-thingy) by 3 for each successful one.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, just a quick question (bit of a newbie question, but I haven't used gavelkind in forever) but if -for example- I have three duchies and three sons under gavelkind, if I give two sons the secondary duchies prior to my death, will the last son inherit my remaining duchy upon my death, without my other sons getting additional slices of the pie?

If so, what happens if one of the two sons I land pre-death is my first-born? Will that cause issues? Like, will I take over as them in their own duchy, instead of the son I left unlanded until my death?

You cannot land your primary heir under gavelkind.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Oh c'mon, now that you've said this, "Medieval Feeder Fetish Simulator 1066" (or similar) just needs to be in the thread title! :D

Medieval Furry Feeder Fetish Simulator 1066

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I just noticed that exclave independence rule. Does anyone play with that? Which setting is best? It seems like a good rule, to break up some of the more absurd, far reaching exclaves, like the landlocked parts of the HRE in Abyssinia and the Levant that have existed for centuries in my current game

I almost always have it on at the highest setting. It just helps prevent border gore.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I'm gonna try it next game. One question though: The way I understand it, it affects independent rulers, so if I'm king of France and I have a vassal duke in Hungary, they'll go independent, or if I rule the lands directly, a local leader will rise up and become independent, right? But what if that duchy is owned by my vassal, the duke of Burdgundy? He's not independent, does it still break away from him?

Yes, if the top tier title holder has no connection to the province(s) they will become independent, no matter who owns the land. If its all the land a person owns, they become independent, but if it's just random land someone else owns a random local rises up.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

I feel like I'm coming to terms with this game now, doing pretty well with my Ireland start with no DLC.

However I have literally one more county to take until I can force the form Ireland title. I've been checking for people that will come to my court, are male and have strong claims but there are none for any of the counties left. I've also had my Chancellor working to fabricate claims and moving him occasionally to aid in those firing. Given it's been almost 10 years of waiting I should have tried to breed in one of those claimants but it is too late for that I guess as I'm impatient.

Is there anything else I can do to push a claim? I just need one more county (I think?) as I have 49% of all of them now.

Is it in a duchy you can create? That gives you de jure claims on titles.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

a fatguy bald spot posted:

I don’t really understand the appeal of random worlds, like the whole thing of these games is history? And seeing alternate histories?

Think of random worlds as the Ultimate alt history.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

How do you check a character's history? I'm trying to figure out how the King of Hungary got some of my counties even though I had inheritance controls enacted.

If you click on the county shield that brings up the info screen for the title. That has a 'History' button that gets you the current and past owners of the title and how they got it. Also check that the counties in question were in your de jure territory and not somebody else's (crown laws only affect the title's de jure territory)

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Independent Naples in Old Gods and 1066

Isn't Amalfi also Greek?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

a fatguy bald spot posted:

child of destiny is too rare imo, Ive never seen it

:emptyquote:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

Lousy Redcoats didn't bring me a gun :saddowns:

I've got a bunch of weak claims in my bloodline on a large tribal government, but I can't figure out how to set up the circumstances to launch a claim war. Since the government is Elected Gavelkind it doesn't seem like there's going to be a time when there's a kid in charge. And all my claimants are women. I launched a debt war, thinking I can force a regency while their ruler is imprisoned, only to discover that I can't declare war on Realms if I have their ruler imprisoned*.

Also what are the triggers for establishing the MacArthur Bloodline (or the Alexander Bloodline in the base game). I have the resources to do it, and it's the one last thing I need to start The Blobbening in earnest.

EDIT: What the best way of dealing with all these loving pirates?

*EDIT2: Thinking about it, I now realize why this is the case (since having the ruler imprisoned automatically wins you the war).

Can you find a way to trigger a civil war? IIRC that lets you press weak claims too.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

What sort of things could I normally do to start a civil war in another realm?

Stab rulers until someone incompetent or unpopular gets on the throne and stab vassals until someone ambitious rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Is there a solution to giant doomstacks? I'm Byzantium and the Shia have formed right on my doorstep. Every few years they go "hey we're going to take Anatolia" or whatever and there is literally poo poo all my 25k dudes can do about their 75k dudes.

The answer to everything is murder.