Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Tercio posted:

If it succeeds then it creates a Crusader State with a massive number of event troops. 80k in my case. It made them the strongest state in the world and they immediately went about conquering their neighbors, and even some far flung places like Abyssinia.

Here's another case. Well over 100k event troops. It's silly but I mean who cares ultimately. But make something like this one of the "wacky" supernatural events.

Edit: Beatification also seems too easy to achieve. Having a long reign basically guarantees it just based on the amount of piety you can generate through the passage of time.

I think that IS one of the wacky supernatural events. Since the description of the crusade succeeding involves literal angels coming down and kicking rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I think the line about the angels is to be taken as hyperbole and zealous retelling of the actual events, multiple times removed from the source as the news finally reaches Europe.

Counterpoint: A bunch of snot-nosed kids seizing Jerusalem from the Islamic world? It’s actually more believable for angels to come down to earth.

Plus it would explain the 80k troops materializing out of thin air. Deus did some Vulting for Christmas.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Lt. Lizard posted:

So uh is Tribal kinslayer a new trait or did I just never noticed it before? Because its kinda silly. (- 5 general opinion, + 15 sex appeal)

Apparently murdering my baby nephew makes me super hot?

Please don’t kinkshame.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
A duke called in a favor to make me call a vote on my liege's council. That's cool, except I'm not on my liege's council. The vote went through anyway. Is this a bug?

In other news, my wife is currently cucking me with one of her own brothers. :eyepop:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I have a few questions for people who know this game. Normally I would just experiment, but I'm playing Ironman for the first time for achievements so I can't really screw around.

1. I just Forged a Bloodline for the first time. My children got the bloodline immediately, but my grandson (and eventual heir) did not. Is it because the father wasn't of my dynasty, or is it a bug? Although he wasn't of my dynasty, he was married matrilineally to my daughter. I spent a lot of :10bux: building 10 castles, so I really want to keep it in the family.

2. I'm the King of Abyssinia. My grandson and eventual heir is somehow the Emperor of Byzantium. Is there an instant replay feature to figure out how his father managed to get crowned Emperor?! He was just some random steppe nomad i married to my daughter because he was a Genius. I turn to fight the Abbassids for a few years and next thing I know, he's wearing the purple. The Byzantine Empire didn't even exist until he somehow reformed it.

3. Does it make sense to switch culture to Greek once I start playing as my grandson? If I'm gonna piss off half my empire anyway, it might as well be the half that has Ethiopian Skirmishers instead of Cataphracts, right? And if I'm the Emperor of Byzantium, does Constantinople get any special bonuses that make it a better capital than my current county with three castles?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Yashichi posted:

1. This sounds like a bug. Did you forge a bloodline with a female ruler? I just had a bloodline propagate correctly to the great-grandchildren through both regular and matrilineal marriages so it sounds like something weird happened.

2. Click on the Byzantine Empire title shield and click on "History". It will show you all the past holders of the title and how they obtained it.

3. Constantinople isn't that great of a county but it usually has high tech and a lot of buildings. It has a bunch of cities and only 2 castles though. As for Greek culture, you get a couple of minor benefits, like blinding and castration, but beyond that and vassal opinion there isn't too much else going on. Also, it turns out Ethiopian retinues are actually really good, and Cataphracts sort of aren't, so take that into consideration.

It was a male ruler. I thought maybe there was some cucking involved, but his mother (my daughter) has the bloodline and the grandson doesn't, despite the fact that it has Matrilineal Transfer.

Cataphracts sucking is sad stuff. Carpeting the world with Ethiopian Skirmishers has worked well so far, but I really wanted to build a big cavalry retinue and run people over.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Aaaaaand now it’s academic since my poor boy slipped into a coma and died the minute he came of age. Byzantium was nearly in my hands...

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Do I need to directly own a county with a Silk Road Trade Post in order to benefit? Or do vassals’ trade posts kick some cash into my coffers?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Patch Notes posted:

Hopefully fixed the Children's Crusade still getting stuck at Genoa, stacking ludicrous amounts of event troops and then obliterating Islam.

Made sure it's not *anyone* that writes a romantic tale of their mother and their inappropriate sparring matches.

Added age check on wandering knight falling in love with a Queen during her coronation.

Made sure your character is aware of the fact that your *spouse* is the satanist inductor in the devil worshiping joining chain (you can no longer shock them with your marital status as a way to chicken out).

Lesbian rulers will no longer believe that their lover has become pregnant with their child.

This game.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Question about Gavelkind. I had Primogeniture inheritance on the Empire of Abyssinia, with my capital in Fustat, Egypt. Below the Imperial title, the Kingdoms of Egypt and Nubia were Gavelkind. When I died, the Empire and Kingdom of Abyssinia went to my gifted son, and Egypt and Nubia went to his idiot brother. Okay, fair enough. But when he took over, he got the capital county of Fustat! I get that it's also the capital county of Egypt, but I thought the Emperor would always keep the Imperial capital county regardless.

Also got screwed because my previous ruler had ruled for the 10 years needed to change inheritance laws, and had no unhappy vassals, but still couldn't change the laws. (It had an X next to "Has reigned for 10 years" for over 15 years). Are female rulers not allowed to change inheritance laws?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Did you accidentally arrange a matrilineal marriage to his new bride? I’m not sure how that works if you do that with a player character.

Feels more like a bug though.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I just had a Crusade called on me by the Pope. If I go siege down Rome, will that give me the win? Or do I have to hold the Holy Land until the Crusaders get bored and go home?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

binge crotching posted:

Quickly overwhelming the Pope will give you 100% war score. It's why I like to have him with land somewhere, so any crusades against me (or my neighbors) will be quickly resolved.

Update: you can now only gain a maximum of 85% war score from Occupation if you’re the defender in a Crusade. Might be a Holy Fury feature? The old “Blitzkrieg on Rome” strategy is much riskier now since it doesn’t automatically win you the war. If the Crusaders take a bite out of your lands while you’re away, you might not even get a white peace.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Best Friends posted:

Related: is there any way to increase decadence in a Muslim state as an outsider, besides winning wars? Anything possible using seduction, rivarly, anything else?

Try to get the biggest shithead in the dynasty on the throne. All sins are good, but Lustful is especially good.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Veryslightlymad posted:

The one I'm interested in "Does this work" is Carousing.

Can you, instead of using antagonize, use the positive influence focus on their country until they're your friend, and then take them carousing with you to become a bad influence on them?

Basically, I'm wondering you can actually be the terrible ungodly influence their propaganda no doubt thinks you already are.

No, because

A. You can only invite people in your own realm to carouse
B. Muslims that aren't already Decadent/Hedonist/Drunkard will automatically refuse Carousing invitations
C. Despite what you might imagine, you can't actually get negative traits from other people inviting you to carouse. It's purely positive unless you get eaten by a cannibal or beaten up by a psycho.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

EmbryoSteve posted:

also my treasury keeps flooding and destroying my artifacts. Is there some way to prevent this????? I am losing artifacts as fast as I can get them because I dont want to pay 180g to keep them. Tribal as gently caress right now so I have terrible income. Help me install plumbing

180g...lol. It caps at 750, which is what I'm regularly paying.

The only way to make it stop is to get out of Africa.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Funky Valentine posted:

Being a Berber can offset the cost of your castle in North Africa getting flooded because you personally hold the gold fields on the southern edge of the map; 750 CrusaderBucks is basically a quick trip to Rome and Venice.

Eastern Africa has Silk Road posts which do a lot to ease the sting. It’s just an annoyance.

Having a kind-of luxury tax on Artifacts isn’t actually a bad idea, especially if the odds increases the larger the treasury gets. And it’s weird that only Africans have flooding problems.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I can think of a shitloads where they did, including those where they died as the enemy retreated

Don't lead troops lol

Plenty of kings died in battle, but off the top of my head I can't think of any who died during an enemy retreat.

Julian the Apostate died during a minor skirmish because he forgot to put his armor on.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
If it makes you feel better, nicknames are annoyingly common at the emperor level in real life. Without them, how would we tell Anastasius Dikoros The Two-Pupils from Constantine the Fifth The poo poo-Named? Most rulers of that period just putzed around for a few years before choking to death on a pretzel. The nicknames were a necessary shorthand to keep medieval scholars from eating a crossbow.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lol no. GW barely salvaged a story out of their broken 12 v 2 faction campaign. Everyone knew exactly how it would end before it began. The corporate writers do not have hardons for the badwrong faction

I promise you, GW super-definitely 100% did not expect the asswhupping Chaos received in that event.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
It's less interesting than it sounds. Warhammer occasionally runs these narrative campaigns, where the outcome of the story is determined by results sent in from matches run by local game shops. This particular time though, they had just rejiggered the rulebook, which meant the balance was wonky, and they hadn't accounted for a few factors working against the Chaos team, like the fact that the Chaos armies the event was designed to sell were being picked up by new players (who ran into experienced players with their existing armies and got smushed).

The event was written as a big-rear end Chaos invasion that would completely alter the narrative landscape, but the Chaos armies (represented by the playerbase) got completely stonewalled. There was a campaign map online tracking the progress of the "invasion", and Chaos couldn't get out of their starting area. Games Workshop clearly didn't have a narrative plan for "the invasion fails completely", so they just ignored the results and told the story they wanted (Chaos wins, but ultimately the status quo remains intact).

Players were pissed because it made a mockery of the whole "you decide the outcome!" conceit. Then the whole thing got retconned afterwards, making it all extra-special pointless.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

doingitwrong posted:

New Dev Diary. They’re adding Wonders of the World to the game. You can take generations to build a Cathedral. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-112-wonderful-news.1152921/

If you're interested, go there and give an upvote to the Canal of the Pharaohs as a wonder. So we can get the Suez Canal mod integrated into the base game :getin:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Randaconda posted:

lol if you don't land your relatives just because you like drama

Hell yeah. Keep it in the family.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

The Shortest Path posted:

Is it possible to get the Kingdom of David achievement by somehow getting a Jewish heir and doing it that way, or do you have to do the Seimen start?

I personally did it by picking the King of Abysinnia in 769. He starts next to Seimen, so you can quickly holy war it down, change your capital to Seimen, and then convert that way. The reason to go with the King of Abysinnia instead of Seimen (apart from the big power difference) is that Mikael Solomonid starts with the "Blood of Solomon" bloodline. All your Jewish/East African/Miaphysite subjects will like you more, and having a descendant of Solomon build the Third Temple is pretty neat.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Rajas of India added a decision to convert to the religion of your capital county. So by conquering Semien and then moving your capital there, you can pick up Judaism as any ruler since it starts the game as one of the few counties that has it.

This. You could also just wait for a Jewish courtier to randomly show up (or poach one) and have them educate your kids in their religion, but this is faster and more certain. You'll want to shift the capital again as soon as the decision becomes available, because Semien is not a particularly rich province and there are way better choices in the area.

Abyssinia starts in a really strong position next to two Silk Road trading posts, which poo poo money, and several more not that far away in Egypt. On top of that, there are no Merchant Republics in the Red Sea area in 769. If you grant a Duchy to a Burgher, you'll make a vassal Republic that you can harvest for sweet, sweet cash. On the military front, you're in a nicely defensible spot with your only real threat a good distance away (the Abbassids). You also get immediate access to an utterly busted cultural retinue unit (Ethiopian Skirmishers).

They are extremely easy. Your greatest challenge will be staving off boredom waiting for the Abbassids to collapse from decadence. That, and resisting the temptation to conquer all of Africa via Holy Wars and jacking your Threat up to ludicrous levels.

e: Almost forgot--as if all that poo poo wasn't enough, Abyssinia starts in diplomatic range of China. Every ruler should go Kowtow to China because the natural Prestige gain from being a Solomonid cancels out the loss from Kowtowing. Chinese Brides are especially great for Jewish leaders because your choices are otherwise rather slim in the early going.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 9, 2019

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Volkerball posted:

Light infantry sucks but it is fun having a giant fuckoff retinue.

Your enemies won't have anything better in 769 Abyssinia, so drowning them in light infantry Just Works™.

Having that giant fuckoff retinue also means that no one will rebel unless you goad them into it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Close the drat gates!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

trapped mouse posted:

I'm relatively new to this game so I'm sure most people have seen these before, but man a lot of these events still crack me up. My guy has 26 diplo and still can't figure out a better solution than throwing the first woman within pushing range towards the Chinese engineer.

So...why was he disappointed?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I've been listening to a lot of the History of Byzantium podcast. What's a good start time/place in the East as Byzantium or the Caliphate?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

reignofevil posted:

So most of the time your armies are just chilling out wherever you have a castle. This is a very good thing because armies that aren't 'raised' are instead replenishing their losses and they aren't costing you gold. One thing you can try is going to your military screen and clicking the button to raise all of your levees (armies) and then watch as the following month your tax income drops as you pay for the army. This will give you a sense of the financial hardship involved in stomping around conquering people.

Your vassals are all required to furnish a portion of their own troops when you call upon them and if you are a vassal in kind then your liege can demand the same from you. How many soldiers your vassals send has a set minimum that is determined by the laws on your laws screen, and the maximum is determined by how much they like you.

One thing I've never quite figured: are vassal levies permanently set aside for their lieges' use? For instance, if one of my vassals is at war with another vassal, both have their levies raised, and I call them up as their liege--do I get a portion of their current armies? Or does the "Raise Vassal Levies" button draw from a separate pool of manpower?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Mr E posted:

I finally sat down this weekend and seriously played this game I've bought every expansion for. Ended up becoming King of Ireland, and then got into some wars I shouldn't have and decided I was done with that dynasty. Since I have all the other expansions, are there any specific starts to try out the other religions and cultures I should head to now?

Everybody should try a Viking start in the Old Gods start at least once. It's really something.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ilitarist posted:

My problem with Conclave is that it seems to remove semi-random events with people trying to get into your council or bringing friends there. Conclave just makes them automatically angry instead of using their ambitions.

Guys still have those events and ambitions, but not your most powerful vassals. They see being on the council as a right they are being denied, not a privilege.

It’s your weaker vassals who will try to worm their way onto the Council.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

PittTheElder posted:

Should I just abolish the council if they'll let me?

You lose an Advisor slot which makes internal management more difficult (there will always be powerful vassals pissed at you) but you get a sizeable Demense bonus. Depending on what counties you take, it might well be worth it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
“They tore away my ability to feel human” is one of the top ten copypastas of all time imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Hellioning posted:

So obviously that 'commentary' is just ironic but I'm annoyed at the ironic fake complaint that coastlines shouldn't look like that.

Every fantasy map should have fjords, they're loving amazing.

Pining for the fjords, are we?