Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I was pretty sure I was going to go Norse first because I started a game as Gotland just before I noticed the DLC was coming, but a quick game going full Glorantha and "don't gently caress with the ducks" seems a no brainer now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Well, duelling people is awesome.

I was afraid that starting as Gotland was harder now because there are more provinces in Sweden and the two power blocks (Austergautland, just to the west, and Sundermanland, north of it) were bigger. I rerolled a high Martial guy, and immediately went for the King of Sweden ambition and declared Subjugation on one of the OPM. By he time it was over, the other two OPMs were taken. That left the two counties up north unclaimed, so I rushed them and managed to siege them faster than they did me. 4 Counties in less than a year, but by now I have no easy targets, and the closer one (the petty Kingdom of Vestergauland, to the west of Austergautlan) is being carpet sieged by Austergautlan. Specifically, by the only son and heir of the King of Austergautland.

I decide to try and assassinate the kid before he wins his war, and take a stab at a weakened Vestergauland the same day. He's hated by his Spymaster and Marshall, so after 30 gold I have 200% plot power. Meanwhile, I swear fealty to Austergautland, hoping to fish for some counties if the kid kicks the bucket.

Which he does, but my plot is discovered! The King naturally hates my guts, because I have killed his only heir. More importantly, he becomes my Rival. Which means I can duel him.

That's a good start, even if I have to deal with a -40 malus from being Dishonourable and a known murderer. Now to get myself killed in another duel and that will fix this problem.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Having a regent giving you Ambitious is great and all, but now he's my Rival (and thus Malcontent) and is blocking my attempts to go and take clay that is rightfully mine. I'm surrounded by assholes and incompetents.

Joffreydidnothingwrong

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Having a regent giving you Ambitious is great and all, but now he's my Rival (and thus Malcontent) and is blocking my attempts to go and take clay that is rightfully mine. I'm surrounded by assholes and incompetents.

Joffreydidnothingwrong

And now he's trying to kill me and I cannot imprison him because he's my Regent. Any ideas?

And his three co-assholes all have 50+ relations with me. Well, time to survive 6 months with 123% plot strength against me or it's game over. Everyone is going to get bribes, it seems.

EDIT EDIT: Well, I can ask the backers to stand down at least.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 14, 2018

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

How do I merge bloodlines? I want to breed the Kwisatz Haderach.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

So what, exactly? Marry a daughter to a bloodline, then matrilineally marry your heir’s son to your daughter’s daughter? Won’t you lose your titles that way?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

No, you're marrying a dude into your dynasty matrilineally, then using the kids of that union to get them in. If they're patrilineal, you can just matrimarry any daughters into your mainline and so long as they aren't landed it works out fine, as all they'll get is her bloodlines, culture and religion. You still raise them.

Basically, matrimarriages keep all bloodlines from both sides, even if it doesn't really make a lot of sense, but you need the lady to be of your dynasty, to keep things in the family

Little bit of incest, got it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Walton Simons posted:

I can't usurp a title from anyone in the same realm without a strong claim, unfortunately.

Are you trying to do it from the diplomacy menu? Go to where you create the title and the Usurp button should be there. He (and maybe you) must be at peace.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

DeadLetterOfficer posted:

If you're not playing Ironman opening the console and using charinfo tells you the real father if they're not a known bastard. Turns out 4/9 of my last rulers were bastards.

I‘ve had several rulers lately whose sons died by me trying to push them into a warrior guild, and have the dynasty saved by a spouse or concubine who was very discreet about things.

winterwerefox posted:

Start as Ring in Sweden, Join warrior lodge. Declare your tribal pagan subjugation war on Harold Wartooth in Sjaeland. Win* and take his lands.
Isn’t he capable of fielding a much bigger army than Ring’s?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Holy poo poo you can search for an artifact name and find the soon to be corpse proud owner.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Good Viking reformation doctrines? Warmongering and Sons of Ragnarok seems a no-brainer, but then I keep wondering between Monasticism, Equality and Ancestor Veneration.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Stupid Saxony converting as soon as I reform so I cannot Holy War the poo poo out of them :argh:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

If you don’t give your equipment to your rival, ambitious son so you can commit suicide by dueling, I don’t know what to say.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

evenworse username posted:

There's one easy way to fix this, which means I am now contemplating the murder of a 9 year old child.

Yesterday I ordered 5 kids killed in less than I year so I could trade a county outside of my duchy for an adjacent one inside it.

Pretty Borders are important

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Walton Simons posted:

Defensive pagans can pull troops out of their rear end in exchange for prestige, it's really annoying. I thought they got rid of that with the new DLC, though.

Yeah, they god rid of it because it was very time consuming to evaluate military strength.

What's a good number/type of retinue to keep as Norse? I'm thinking 1100 Light Infantry to keep 2 500+ raider groups available at all times, but I have no idea where to go from there.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Nov 23, 2018

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

Also you can get shipbuilding within first 5 years of your reign by picking Scholarship focus and doing the event chain.

Or sending your Spymaster to Constantinople and getting lucky once.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Kemper Boyd posted:

In my Byz game I noticed that Basileios' dad is sitting around in court, with bad stats and no usefulness, cramping my style. So I sold off my dad to China.

Did he came pre-castrated?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Damnit game, give me a pop up with "are you sure that you want to go against your Council and piss everyone off?", I'm sick of becoming an accidental tyrant.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Unless they’re like, a strong genius and you would prefer to switch to them while they’re still young to get the most out of their reign.

Take the childhood event that makes them both ambitious and your rival, too.

I’ve gone and dueled my son after giving him Mjolnir, just to have both die during the duel :allears:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I've began playing again and, again, I get bored in peacetime as Norse (I left coalitions on to keep things somewhat challenging), so I've decided to go Artifact and Bloodline hunting, pokemon style. In order to get artifacts within my realm I have to grant independence to the owner and then raid them, right?

How about bloodlines? Hod do I fuse a kidnapped bloodline descentant into my kwisatz haderach?

Fake Edit: Just noticed that the owner of the Yada Tashi is unlanded and will willingly come to my court. This means that eventually it will become mine, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

ilitarist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-a9U0-EboQ

The last video tutorial is here.

Hope let's plays are quick to follow

So what happens if you get big enough to be have the most counties of several cultures under your (indirect) rule? I assume a culture head has to be of that culture.