Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I am hella PEEVED posted:

My disagreement is with Reaper's Due. Sure, its a lot of flavor in the disease/execution system, but its still good flavor and gives the game a bit more personality.

Iirc it also gives you the black death which is historical.

I'm pretty sure you can have a secret religion without monks & mystics, must be in the patch or maybe some other dlc.

Question: I'm playing as Jerusalem in the 1220 start. I got Anatolia in a crusade, and am chipping away at the Ayyubids around me. Should I stay French or convert to Levantine? All my vassals are French, but the Levantine gear looks so much better...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I think you have to delete and reinstall the whole game, at least that's what I've always done to get new DLC.

It will work, but there must be a better way...

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I didn't get the new DLC but I really like the patch. I've started a game as India and I've already noticed some new things.
Not sure how I feel about locking army movements, I'll have to see how that affects game balance.

The Better Garbs mod has stopped working, but I guess they'll adapt it sooner or later.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Asproigerosis posted:

Did something weird happen to dynasties? I died with wife pregnant. Couple months into my son's reign, the baby is born a male. Except he isn't of my dynasty, he's of the mom's dynasty. Is this intentional?

Maybe the kid is a bastard? I've had a concubine give birth after her husband's death and the kid was of his dynasty as expected.

This is the first game where I've had two characters die in the first two years and it was cool. Dad got murdered aged 67, first son dies in battle, second son with decent stats gets cancer right after attaining the throne and is now infirm. Kept having sons regardless. To add insult to injury I'm on gavelkind, so I hope I can form an empire before this guy kicks it.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My Hindu emperor just starved himself to death from religious fervor, leaving his 11 year old son on the throne. This son let the court physician, a blind mystic, tutor himself into a mastermind theologian who is shrewd but slothful.

I guess I'll leave conquering the rest of India to his heirs, unless he manages to surprise me. I found him a intrigue heavy wife who vaguely dislikes him, let's see where this goes.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Turn off everything that annoys you. It's your game.

I like defensive pacts. It's fun when you decide to de jure claim some county and it kicks off world war one. If you want to paint the map, turn it off I guess.

I always turn off AI seduction, Aztecs and devil worshippers, but occasionally I turn them all on and watch the world flood with possessed syphilitic bastards.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

fuf posted:

What's annoying about AI seduction?

Can you turn off shattered retreat in the middle of a game?

AI seduction always makes a couple of my vassals get into a race who can seduce the most of my courtiers and daughters. Bastards everywhere, and every woman has "lover's pox".

Afaik you can't change these settings after the game starts.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Are bloodlines in the patch, or dlc only? I have a UI slot for bloodlines now, but I think it's always empty...

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

That reminds me, since male concubines are a thing now, are those only for reformed religions that pick the right beliefs, or could existing religions that achieve full equality (whether through technology and laws or through the game rule) get them too?

Tibetan Bön ladies get them by default. They allow concubines / consorts for either sex. Not sure about the equality rule.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My newest emperor is a brilliant strategist, so I sent him to lead all my armies and slaughter every general he came across. Now he gets flashbacks about the horrors of war, and refuses to touch his beloved wife any more. I made him join the Hindu monastic order, so he'd hopefully get the option to renounce his vow of celibacy, and when they told him to focus on theology instead of war, he gladly did it. I might have him switch to Jain, too.

I love how the mechanics from the various expansions interact to form a coherent story.

He also sent his childhood rival to China as a eunuch after beating him in a duel. It's good to be the emperor.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Maybe you're a vassal of the HRE and it's currently running an antipope?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I decided to get the dlc after all. I'm playing as Isabella of Jerusalem in 1220. She has become a fat drunk lunatic but everybody loves her and so do I.

What areas exactly do I need to control to form the empire of Outremer? The tooltip just says "near east". Jerusalem and Syria? Plus Anatolia?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I kinda like that this game now has a million different white people faces to correctly represent the ethnicities of different parts of Croatia, but Arabs still look the same from Baghdad to Portugal.

At least they look good now 😸

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Foul Fowl posted:

i've had three consecutive ironman runs end early when my ruler got their head crushed in battle. in two of the runs it happened to their heir as well. is it just a really horrible idea to lead your armies in person now unless you have really good martial?

If your current ruler has a bad personal combat skill it's best not to have him lead armies (other than pure sieges?). Even if you're winning the battle, you'll get events that force you to fight and die or become a coward, depressed and so forth. That's what killed my Isabella :(

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Holy poo poo the Zun lodge trait gives siege time and movement bonus as well as fighting bonuses I. Deserts and Mountains

That's crazy

Sounds good, how do I play as Zun?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Best Friends posted:

Speaking of, I get the "doubt besets me" on every single concubine pregnancy across multiple rulers in my Africa run. Not a single one of those rulers was paranoid. Bug I'm guessing?

I think this event is just common. I played as a female ruler, had five kids, and before I ever took a lover my husband confronted me about two of the pregnancies.

So obviously I took a lover eventually, if he's gonna be like that either way.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I just got the poetry event chain from my monastic order again, but this time the poems cured my empress's depression! Good poems.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

In my Jerusalem game I formed the Outremer culture, and now me and my direct descendants (plus some generated courtiers) are the only characters with that culture in the whole wide world.

It does have cool garbs though.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I always build hospitals but I honestly don't feel like disease resistance does anything.

One I played as Ireland and the black death completely spared the British isles, allowing me to rip into the depopulated continent afterwards. Building hospitals only gives me the "too many lepers" event a lot.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I like cities because one, I like money, and two, you can build universities in all of them to eventually become an unstoppable powerhouse of women's rights and legalism.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Benedictine order gives stewardship.

I once accidentally became the head of a holy order, and none of my vassals were able to marry any more. Fortunately I figured it out in a couple of years.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Yadoppsi posted:

I got into Paradox games through Stellaris and I was hoping to try Crusader Kings 2 and get started during the Steam winter sale. From watching a couple let's plays I think I'd most enjoy the role playing and being a character in history aspects of the game so I think the two DLCs I really need are Conclave and Way of Life. Does anybody recommend and the other essential DLCs for somebody just starting out?

Monks and Mystics and Holy Fury add a lot of role-playing options. I personally like Sons of Abraham, but it's not as feature rich as some of the other DLCs. Charlemagne contains a little campaign story (about Charlemagne), so that might be fun too.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I want to reform the Slavic faith as Rurikid but the holy sites are so far away :(

Playing as a pagan lodge member is a lot of fun tho

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Archaeology Hat posted:

The Pope won't like your virtues if he has the opposed vice.

Sounds like your Pope is a bad Pope.

CK2: Holy Fury - your Pope is a bad Pope.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

They might never agree depending on their reasons. If you try to set up a potential marriage/betrothal between two people, you can check their reasons for disagreeing if you hover over the "no" at the bottom of the page. It depends on more stuff than just their opinion of you. If the reason is "political concerns" then you're pretty much never going to get them to agree to it.

Does "political concerns" mean they don't want a non aggro pact with me because they may want to attack some day, or are there more factors going into that?

Also is there any benefit to having a really beautiful daughter? I don't see young Russian princes offering me their service to win her hand, though they clearly should.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

The pope made my mom a saint about a year after she was beatified and now I have a cool bloodline. It was while I was fighting a holy war on his behalf, freeing an Italian duchy from the heretic HREmperor for the benefit of the papal state. It's what it took to get the pope to crown me.

Sadly becoming a saint swapped out her cool Outremer headdress for the boring French one she had as a young woman.

Playing as a genuine crusader king is so cool guys
Pagans cannot compare

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Also every character I play ends up either fat or malnourished. No half measures.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Looks like I've got some fuckery to get up to then. I really do like merchant playthroughs they seem really unpopular despite being barely any different than feudal and you get so much money to play around with. I just wish there were more ways of getting to play them other than bringing up a tribal kingdom or starting as venice/genoa/pisa.

Merchant republic is a lot of fun but after a while you've seen it all, and expanding your borders isn't as fun as in feudal mode.

Also you can't play women.

Also also all merchant republics get the same Venetian clothes whether they're in Sri Lanka or Iceland.

One upside of merchant republics is that you can really go all out on intrigue focus because all the people you want to murder are in your capital. Invite a bunch of spy women, seduce them all, have twenty sons, murder all your rivals, get murdered yourself by your jealous wife, repeat.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

So, a Windows reinstall and a new graphics card later, I'm finally able to tackle Holy Fury. But I'm so paralyzed with indecision about where to start that I've pretty much spent the last hour hitting the Random Character button over and over :smith:

Play as:
- Charlemagne if you like a little story campaign
- Ostergotland in the old gods start if you want to do the whole pagan thing
- Isabella of Jerusalem in 1220 if you like the crusade thunderdome feeling (I do)
- anyone in Spain in 1066 should be fun too

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Why this particularly?

Sorry, I actually meant Haraldr Fairhair, Jarl of Ostlandet, and it's because it's a good start to expand, reform the religion, and enjoy the pagan lifestyle.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

On a similar note, I had my first son baptized by the pope, which was quite expensive. A bit later my wife confessed to adultery. Now the kid is not considered my son anymore? Not in my dynasty and not my heir. Is this how it's supposed to work? I chose the "I forgive you" option, but maybe I shouldn't have :/

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Is there a way to get rid of that bug where children born after their father's death aren't part of his dynasty? It's really messing me up.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

This sounds extremely rad. How do you go about converting to Judaism?

Marry a Jewish nomad girl (there are a bunch in the early starts) and there shoild be an option to convert to her religion.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Moreau posted:

Does anyone know if the Monk attribute permanently locks a character to being unable to wed? I started a Charlemagne campaign as the King of Asturias, named my daughter as heir and invited Theodoric to my lands, and gave him a Bishopric. When she inherited, she seduced him, made him her lover, revoked the title - but he absolutely refused to marry. Despite a plethora of attractive your women at the court, including yours truly, none would appear in the marriage screen.

I'm wondering if there is any way to get him into a Matrilineal marriage at all.

It might be possible if you manage to convert him to a religion that doesn't have monks? But other than that, I think there's no way to make him marry.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

A child of destiny has appeared in my game this time, but he's a drunk lecher and my friend. He did take over Anatolia from the caliph so that's good.

My character married a drunkard woman and now all his children are dumb

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My crusader king's son somehow managed to become the emperor of Byzantium, but my Dumb older son somehow managed to pop out a son with his chaste 40 year old theologian wife, so it'll be a trip getting the good son to inherit my title as well.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Marriage is so much of the game in the Christian world that Muslim runs seem empty by comparison.

After Holy Fury I feel like playing a Catholic has so much more stuff than any other religion. There's not really any reason to play anything else, other than the sheer glee of making the whole world Reformed Suomenusko or whatever. I do like playing Catholics, so I don't mind at all.

Actually, can you guys give me a tip on some non Catholic (default world) scenarios that are fun to play? The last thing I tried was Zun, and while the sun themed stuff is fun, it's not really much different from generic pagans after a while.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I have no idea how the AI decides who gets to be Byzantine emperor. While the old emperor is alive it's generally his firstborn shown as the heir, but then five years later the title goes to some rando I've never seen before.

All the other king level titles around me have shattered into a million little duchies.

And I still don't know what territory I need for the empire of the Outremer.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

The entire Arabian peninsula -- so the de jure kingdoms of Jerusalem, Syria, Arabia, Yemen, Iraq, al-Jazira, and then the duchy of Sinai. Egypt is optional, but if you control it when you form the empire it becomes de jure Outremer, and it's probably the richest kingdom in the entire game so you definitely want it.

You have to control the *entire* peninsula, so once you've met the de jure requirements it's time to go snipe hunting for random baronies. Expelling whatever Catholic holy order you don't have vassalized takes care of most of them, but there'll probably be the stray castle controlled by the Hashashin or some European kingdom that inherited it from one of your vassals. If you're not on Ironman just console yourself the baronies you need because gently caress that noise.
After that, congrats, you've basically beaten the game. Have fun using your new +20% damage to religious enemies bloodline to dunk on the Mongols or Timurids when they show up.

Thanks, this is super useful! I already have most of the peninsula so that's good.

De Jure Egypt has kind of swapped places with Anatolia in my game, I think I'm going to leave that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

If you hate fun, of course

Satanists don't add any fun for me, the events you get when you're one are seriously disturbing / disgusting, and when you're not one, every third person is a possessed lunatic who can apparently give you cancer.

I decided to play a game with default settings this time, and Satanists and AI Seduction are the two things I really wish I'd turned off.