Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

OctaviusBeaver posted:

A Purple Phoenix style mini-expansion for the Normans would be pretty sweet, those guys were everywhere.

Pah! They’re just vikings in suits!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

FELD1 posted:

I very much appreciate this link. I'm descended from Normans...

This is pretty common for most people with a European background. Danny Dyer of all people is a direct descendant of William the Conqueror.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Palemdromes posted:

Real life got all the way to Sicily so I’m pretty sure no place is too silly to put them

Vikings got to Azerbaijan and The Greeks got to Pakistan. People move about a lot.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Grem posted:

Had an incredible lucky thing happen where apparently one of my vassals imprisoned the Sultan of the Abbasid empire. So I just declared holy war after holy war and immediately won until their entire loving empire was gone. I've never seen anything like that and I think it might take a few hundred years until my threat dies down but whatever, the Holy Roman Empire is huge!

I always thought you couldn’t declare war against your prisoners and imprisoned rulers were released at the end of wars. Surely a bug if it doesn’t recognise your vassal has them?

Still great news for Emperor Grem!

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Oberst posted:

Definitely dont play with conclave on the first time. I wouldn't turn it on for several games actually until you really know the mechanics

Counterpoint: it only makes the game more complicated when you’re a King/Emperor level leader and your first game probably shouldn’t be one of those anyway.

If you’re a count/duke it only makes the game better and hardly more complicated. It makes your council actually be important and it adds a lot more drama to the game.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

The Aladdin one is because in the Arabian Nights he was originally Han Chinese. Kinda explained here.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Also how do Merchant Republics work? How should I be setting them up to milk them for cash?

Yes you should. It’s fairly easy as well with the Byzintines. After a holy war give some inlanders nobody (necessary) with your religion (not necessary but a good idea) a city holding in a coastal province. Then give him the province and after that the duchy title. This will turn him into a Doge who will dislike you for having a different form of government but otherwise will give you lots of money.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

You can also set up religious Arch Bishoprics by the same method just switch out the city for a church. A minor benefit is that they will never revolt but for the Byzantines the main purpose for flavour to give the Pentarchy to bishops. Flavour very is important in realm building!

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

A merchant republic can also have feudal vassals. That’s if for some reason you want a relatively powerful vassal who can pull up a big army and will always hate you for not being a king.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

binge crotching posted:

Playing from 769/867 to the end.

I’ve invested 100s hours of my life into this game - all ironman - and still never managed to finish any game from 1066 never mind the earlier starts.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

benzine posted:

Saddest thing is your character being on quarantine, meanwhile irl being on quarantine

Both the best and worst post.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Try experimenting with giving a temple holder the county and then ducal title to create a theocratic vassal. They aren’t as lucratively as merchant ones or provide as many soldiers as feudal, but they will never revolt.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Coolguye posted:

While we are on the subject, has the vassal management strategy of explicitly setting up nightmare vassal arrangements, like giving duke 1 all the vassals in duke 2’s territory and vice versa finally fallen out of favor? The logic always was that it gives your shithead vassals something to plot about that isn’t killing you, but every time I tried to do it the situation always ended up just causing weird superdukes. I’ve been just strictly enforcing one-title-per-rank and de jure vassal structures and that seems to cause the fewest overall problems. Which of course is still a lot. But if it hasn’t fallen out of favor I’d appreciate a rundown of the procedure so I can try it again.

As Cheshire Cat said, but for me the main point is the satisfaction I feel when I click on the direct vassal view and see how neat and tidy my vast kingdom/empire is arranged.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Chalks posted:

Have they shown the map for CK3 yet?

Has India even been confirmed in CK3 at release?

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The main thing about nomads is that they don't have light infantry at all, which makes them pound for pound much more effective since the only thing light infantry does is make an army look about twice as big.

And just to wade in at this point and complicate things further... light infantry for retinues can actually be the best in a couple of situations outside of battles.

Exactly like The Cheshire Cat says above, light infantry are terrible in a fight but there are a lot of them. So if you built your retinue entirely out of them instead of say Cataphracts or whatever they will be a lot bigger and you’ll have more troops. When deciding to declare war on you, or the power of faction demands to your liege, the AI only sees the quantity of your armies and not the quality making them useful if you like to throw your weight around.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Look Sir Droids posted:

Just made it all the way through an 876 start to the end.

I’m genuinely impressed. Not with your in game achievements but the fact you actually finished the timeline. I’ve had this game for years and closest I’ve got to a finish is the 14th Century.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Pick one that’s closer to Europe or the Middle East to avoid the massive provinces. The Magyars, near Hungary, in the Old Gods/ Viking Age start will move a lot quicker.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

According to the wiki, you only need to add England, Spain and that one bit of Morocco. That’s assuming there are no holy orders or the pope who aren’t your vassals.

So yeah you’re very close, especially with three centuries to go.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

McGavin posted:

Only Cisalpine culture and no Transalpine culture is problematic.

New thread title! We’re well overdue one now.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Buying early...helped me with not overwhelming me with features, because I've always had some time to digest each new DLC's additions to the game.

This is the key thing. Before I got into CK2 (which was around the merchants DLC) I had put hundreds of hours into EU3. I bought EU4 and all the DLC that was on the humble bundle a few months ago and it is overwhelming with all the options available.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Zane posted:

except aegon targaryan--son of elia martell--is still alive somehow?

The TV show diverges from the books the further on it goes. It looks like the mod follows the books?

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

fuf posted:

This is the first area where I feel like there's not much improvement over CK2. Separating out the major decisions is good, but it still feels a bit like a jumbled list of random things you can do.

In terms of the improvements to role playing that the DD mentions, in CK2 you can already only go on pilgrimage as a Catholic if you choose the theology focus or chase the white stag if you choose the hunting focus. It’s just consolidated the menus - which is not a bad thing at all, just not the most exciting thing.

The 3D models look great though especially with the ageing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

ShootaBoy posted:

Crusader Kings II: Really dragging down any time I try to do something with muslims.