Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Not been playing CKII for a while. What's the verdict on Holy Fury? Worth the pickup? The features look pretty good and being able to steer your religion sounds awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Coolguye posted:

holy fury is awesome, well worth the money

Elias_Maluco posted:

Holy Fury is the best DLC since Conclave

I may have to pick that up then once i get off my brick laptop. It's going to be awesome to reform a pagan religion with my own spin and the bloodlines look awesome. It's a shame shattered world isn't actually shattered like the randomized map of the new world in EU4. That would have been amazing.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Coolguye posted:

yeah, it is one of the primary reasons i never turn auto stop plots on. it's much better to catch a vassal at the first step in their scheming and make them work from prison than it is to tell them no 50 times to have them get lucky on the 51st and cause a big mess.

remember: a vassal under house arrest will live exactly as long as a vassal that is free and will make exactly the same decisions regarding his realm and his council.

he just cannot plot, cannot join factions, cannot use the intrigue focus, cannot overbreed, cannot be pissy about not having a seat on the council, cannot revolt, and generally cannot bother you in any way. and if he does find a way to be inconvenient to you, there's always the oubliette to encourage him to die sooner.

I have played ckII so long and I never realised this... All those civil wars I could have avoided. I guess I'll have to try a small stable realm again rather than a huge blob like I always do.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Holy loving poo poo I reformed Tengri with Bloodthirsty Gods (as the Ashina, natch) and so many people are being sacrificed.

Never really bother with pagans that much so I haven't reformed before. What kind of shenanigans can you get up to? Anything OP?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Honky Dong Country posted:

So I'm hitting up the Byzantines for the first time since before Holy Fury and gently caress me is this different (and also cool). Having the army commanders (including the Scholae Palatinae, which is also fuckin cool) be the electors with the caveat that they have to be landed is rad as hell and definitely different. It's got me training sons as soldiers and landing them rather than just pumping out Hermetics and monastic would-be saints forever. I can already tell that poo poo's gonna get hairy later though once I've got relatives landed all over the drat place.

Not played byzantines in a long time. I knew about all the viceroy stuff but no idea about commanders having a vote. Sounds like it'll be much more interesting trying to hold the realm together while reclaiming the old borders. Going to have to give that a try.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Yeah it really is different. Basically the army chooses the next Basileus. All councilors, family members, and commanders are eligible candidates. And all commanders, leader of the Scholae Palatinae, and the Marshal are electors. And commanders can't be random schmuck courtiers with a penchant for war. They have to be landed to be elegible for commander selection. Also a buncha different things dictate the weight of their votes like various stat scores and honorary titles (which the Byzantines literally have 50+ of now, there's like 3-5 different titles that have 10-20 slots each, some of which may or may not be allowed for dynasty members).

My current strategy is raising all my males as soldiers and landing them. Then I make them commanders and such to stack the electorate with my own dynasty to ensure that my dynasty remains in control of the empire, even if they decide to elect the absolute worst of the family. Those few electors that aren't family but are favorable to your candidate nomination you stack with every honorary title you can to give their votes more weight. Naturally you do this with your familial electors too. Not all honorary titles can be given to family and not all can be given to non-family.

Is that a permanent Adair then or is there a way to strip the council of that power so your son's just inherit without some random guy having a say?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Only way for that to change afaik I know is a successful government change faction. There's nothing random about it tho. You have full control over who gets a say, since it's you that appoints the marshal/your commanders.

Ah OK so it can be kind of reliable then. I guess I'll carouse a bunch, make friends and stick them in the positions. I like your idea of a military dynasty, no matter who ends up emperor at least they'll be good at kicking rear end, hopefully.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Just playing a new game at the moment and the Karling's went super stable somehow. Pretty early in the brothers died leaving everything to Charlemagne who has now gone on and taken the Italian throne too. I'm Amalfi at the moment so on my doorstep are the Karlings spanning France, Germany and Italy and the Byzantines who managed to take some of Italy. I'm currently independent and playing them off against one another and watching the massive battles. Going to see how long I can stay independent and watch the fireworks.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Palemdromes posted:

One of the Armenian counts has a bloodline that goes all the way back to Parthian Persia

Well I know what my next campaign is. Bring Parthia back, convert to Zoroastrianism and and revive the age old friendly rivalry with the Eastern Roman Empire.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Average Bear posted:

There's another bloodline that is quite literally the Sassanid dynasty in tabarestan.

Well that's who I'm playing then and I will name every one of my heirs Khosrow. Hopefully some of them will be amazing militarists.

BBJoey posted:

Since when has this been a thing ??

e: apparently it was added in Iron Century, and I guess there's barely anyone talking about it online because to get it you have to manually choose a startdate where Henry is likely to die without any legitimate male heirs.

Anyone know any other events like this that happen on specific dates?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

BBJoey posted:

There are very, very few. There’s obviously the Charlemagne and Otto events for their respective start date. There are two other Iron Century events. An event makes Igor’s wife, Saint Olga, pregnant if they’re both still alive around 10 years after start date (the timer starts counting after taking the decision to convert to Russian/Slavic). I believe the Fatimids get an event to invade Egypt. Other than that, the only ones that come to mind are spawning conquerors: Seljuk, Sabuktigin, Genghis and Timur.

To be honest I didn't even know events like that were in the game. I always just go to the early start and run from there. I've missed so much. Do they have a big impact on gameplay?

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Holy poo poo, didn't know you could get a parrot by losing half of your extremities

This is why I love this game. Played it for so many years and still find events I've never come across.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. The big conqueror events depend a lot on where they target to make their claim, since that determines how many event troops they get. It's entirely possible for them to target some lone duchy somewhere, take it over, and then get immediately swallowed by a neighbour.

You can see a list of all the various "famous conqueror shows up to do their historical conquest" events here: https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Hordes

Sometimes it's worth it just to take the tyranny penalty to throw them in prison and order them to take the vows.

Now that I did not know. That explains my old Persian game. Revived the Persian empire, everything from Anatolia to Egypt to the borders of India, mongols spawn with like 120k troops and kept getting reinforcements. It was a pain in the rear end trying to win that one.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Cathars basically get maxed out gender equality without having to actually raise the law to that point, so you get more than just abs-cog inheritance - you can appoint women as any council position or as generals as well.

Well if you get to keep those bonuses then I know what I'm doing for one generation. Too many times I've ended up with a strong or genius daughter whilst my son is some inbred drunken idiot.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Warmachine posted:

I thought I read that you could also do some Papal political buggering with the Anti-Pope and turn him into the legit Pope but as your vassal? Which seems like a great masterstroke for a pan-European empire.

Also means that once you get the pope as a vassal you get some juicy income from taxes. Makes asking for money really powerful too.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

My current run as Asturias has been out of this world. The Karlings shattered, Byzantium became tengri after nomads somehow inherited the throne, Saxony blobbed across all Europe so only the British Isles, Aquitaine, Italy and my northern section of Spain remained Catholic. Ummayads kept trying to gobble me up, could get no help from Karl, so all I had was the absolute bro "the dragon" king of Brittany coming to my aid, literally saved my run when his 2000 men turned up.

Then came Alaricho the blessed, took half of Spain, pushed a claim on a family members claim of Aquitaine so the branch family defended the north whilst Alaricho focussed spain, put his brother on the throne of Austrasia after winning the first crusade, built a fountain of youth, linked the De Cantabrians to Alexander to claim his blood, founded his own bloodline of a murderer after the ummayads took his sister and made her a concubine and after death was proclaimed a saint even though in his early years he was a devil worshipper. The absolute best character I've ever played, his son was almost as good with his 33 marshal and my current character Empress Monnia is a beast too.

I'll post a bit more detail later.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Neurion posted:

I've seen this happen with them all becoming Jewish Khazars. The nomads probably won a Subjugation war, which transfers the Empire title to the Khagan and changes its inheritance law to Nomadic.

That would explain a lot. The empire later rose again reclaiming the throne and becoming orthodox however it drained them and Thrace, including Constantinople, was taken by Arabs. The empire now has a few provinces in Greece, it won't be around much longer.

Alaricho after supporting his relatives claim to the throne, supported the children's crusade which eventually took Jerusalem, it was reconquered by the Arabs though and he fled to my court where he was made Duke of Portugal.

The branch family that held Aquitaine eventually took all of France whilst Alaricho struggled against the ummayads, becoming vastly stronger than their liege in personal levy. Alaricho forced gavel kind on Aquitaine and challenged the new king of Aquitaine to a duel to kill him and break their power. 60PCS Vs ~40, Alaricho lost somehow but from the duel he became best friends with the king of Aquitaine securing stability for the time being.

I've honestly never been too invested in the personal stories of the game but this dynasty has been crazy interesting.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

As previously mentioned my old ruler Alaricho found proof that the family was directly descended from Alexander. I didn't realise just how powerful that blood is because it's the first time I've gotten it. Used it to conquer a lot, my last use has been with my current ruler to put the nail in the Karlings coffin and take East Francis so all that exist are Karling dukes.

What's interesting is I forgot who exactly had that blood and I've won a few crusades putting my kin as benefactor and they have gone wild. Checked in on the king of Jerusalem and he took all Arabia, Thrace took Italy and Bavaria is currently invading Bohemia. I've unleashed a monster, currently England and Ireland are slugging it out too after some inheritance shenanigans led to my family on the throne. Soon all Europe will be a giant civil war of Alexander's descendants.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

ilitarist posted:

Now in his 30-ies my second king has all the prestige and piety in the world and throughs all the money on getting a holy bloodline.

Pretty much what happened to me. Started playing Alaricho at 16, he was in devil worship a while, got horns, voice of Satan etc etc, still had time to switch to Benedictine, work up to conversus, eradicate all sins, lose the negative modifiers and be proclaimed a saint.

All the while crusades are happening everywhere so I'm rolling in cash and built a fountain of youth to keep everyone going. I have the blood of Alexander so I only invade and my threat is through the roof so I settle and use the piety to solve border gore, revoke titles, fix the borders then put them under the de jure viceroy so they aren't my problem.

Speaking of threat, betrothals are op as gently caress, I have 100% threat, want East Francia, betrothal with Karlings for none aggression removing them from all defensive pacts, break betrothal (oh no -20 opinion from the dude whose land I want to take) invasion casus belli. My 40k stack versus the 10k they can muster. CK2 definitely feels WAY easier than it used to be. Is it just play time or has it genuinely gotten a lot easier?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

I had 50-100 relations with my vassals almost all the time just for a combination of bloodlines+artifacts+viking trait+valhala bound trait and then all the good traits I was always getting from societies

I've noticed that too which is why I feel it's so much easier. I remember just after conclave and how hard a time I had holding an empire together. Now I just buy a Smith to make artifact's, get some Saint parts from the pope after crusades, build great works with relation modifiers, join a society and have all green traits as well as a good old bribe here and there with some swaying. I mean I revoked two duchies off a dude and he was still in the green afterwards, I legitimised 2 bastards and my spouse still had +80 opinion.

Now I love having artifacts and watching the treasury grow but I find it too easy to get them. I mean one guy moved to my court, died and now I randomly have the axe of perun that I can't use because I'm not tengri.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Lesbian is probably one of the most desirable traits in the whole game. Sick to death of random barons attempting to seduce my wife.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Turn off AI Seduction at the start.

Yeh I forgot to and I'm committed now. Next campaign I'm turning that fucker off and it's staying off permanently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Man, elective succession is still stupid broken. Made the kingdom of Asturias which has 2 duchies I own so only I can vote and once I got to make a custom empire, only the kingdom of Asturias can vote so now everyone loves me for having elective (not to mention bloodline perks, Alexander bloodline is OP) and only I can vote. My last 4 rulers have been absolute beasts, all strong, all positive traits (thanks Benedictine order) and 30+ martial so any revolt is just stomped by my troops and retinues. For the first time in this game I feel like I have the perfect dynasty. I control Spain, France, Germany, northern Italy whilst my offshoot family rampages across the Brittania, Jerusalem and is the emperor of Byzantium, all with the blood of Alexander declaring conquests and calling me in to help. I'm in absolute awe of what I've unleashed.