Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Probably Africa will be first here, I just hope it's not like tibet down there where every province has such low supply you're constantly microing your armies to avoid attrition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Jedit posted:

Anyone looking to start a 769 African Pagan run, the High Chief of Kanem is your man. Starts aged 17, Strong, married with a male heir already, his capital is a Transafrican trade post site and a Holy Site, and he has borders with every other duchy in the kingdom. Take the Form Kingdom ambition on day 1 and set Steward and Chaplain to recruit units. You should be able to both get your kingdom and reform the faith within his lifetime, the only restriction is how fast you can make money.

Another one I found in Africa is Chieftess Magajiva of Daura at the 867 start. You start with one province, your own bloodline, and enatic-cognatic eldership. She's also married to a guy with 4 provinces. I'm just about to unpause but I'm assuming it's matrilineal given that succession type.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

binge crotching posted:

There are new 50 piety nomadic horde options for every religion group. They look pretty good, especially now that the prestige light cavalry options have an offensive debuff.

The only piety option I'm seeing for nomads are light cavlary / horse archer mix which is garbage if tactics haven't been changed at all. Maybe you're talking about tribals? They have some new options, but again if tactics haven't been changed the light infantry / light cavalry one should blow all the others away. What do you mean by offensive debuff though? I'm not seeing anything about that in the game or the patch notes. Not that it would matter, the raid tactic is so good.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
"Oh cool you get new events in battle if you join a warrior lodge" I think as I make the rare choice to have my ruler actually lead battles. First event is instant death, no decision giving a chance to avoid it.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
I don't think enatic-cognatic eldership is working right. If you start as Daura in central africa the chieftess has a bloodline that enables it. While it states that "men can inherit, but only if there are no eligible females" the elders are still nominating males all the time despite there being several adult age eligible females. They don't prefer the males at least, but they shouldn't be able to nominate them at all if I'm understanding it right. Maybe I need to get my tolerance up like the guy who was posting about getting meritocracy to work in a reformed religion?

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

ninjahedgehog posted:

I haven't tried the new eldership rules, but in previous versions under elective succession, there really wasn't a functional difference between agnatic-cognatic and full cognatic except for the small opinion malus for female heirs or rulers under the former. Presumably enatic-cognatic works similarly.

That particular bloodline is weird because other hausa don't get the female ruler penalty but other cultures do. It also gives +5 hausa opinion and +5 personal combat so wiping out everyone who is not hausa is the order of the day. On top of that, it is only passed down by females, which is why I would even care about a male being nominated. My solution was to reform and use either the totem guardians trait that includes monasticism to easily get people out of the line of succession or divine blood so even if a male is nominated they're still having kids with someone who will pass it down.

I think I'm going to start a new game though because I usually play with double strength rebellions and after this patch europe has absolutely exploded into a patchwork of heretic revolts which while cool, makes me think they tweaked revolts somewhat. I know one province I picked up had like 30% revolt modifiers on it and was spawning stacks of rebels non stop until it went away.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Astus posted:

This is the best DLC, by far. I don't think I've ever had a character as memorable as Dilek the Great Beat, Forest Walker and devotee to The One Who Came Before. And she doesn't even have good stats!

Yeah there's some cool new traits too. Kind of disappointed I never got to play as the son who had both ugly and the new giant trait. A Hausa Andre the Giant. I also had a female ruler who got one of the new attractiveness traits and another boost to that when she came of age from a ceremony. She also had over 30 martial and a huge personal combat score with the cruel trait. So someone would try to seduce her, she'd shoot them down, they'd challenge her to a duel and then she'd kill them or take their hand, literally.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I'm about 50/50 on my tribal 100light/50heavy (prestige) and 200 heavy infantry (gold) retinues. That might be it.

Didn't notice my prestige taking a hit from the reinforcement, but didn't look closely either.l

The light infantry / light cavalry one is really good because they trigger good tactics when mixed together. Stacking them all on one flank with a good commander goes a long way towards beating armies with better quality troops. Don't mix light and heavy infantry in a retinue, they excel at different phases in battle.

Anyone make the defensive fetish mask and magic artifact yet? I went with the other ones and they give pretty good bonuses like damage and pursuit, which I like because almost nothing else gives pursuit and more damage for units that are good in the skirmish phase is always welcome, but I'm wondering if you were to actually crunch the numbers the other ones would be better because light infantry's main weakness is morale failure due to a lot of them dying, so stats like morale defense are good for them.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

winterwerefox posted:

Go business focus and counterfeit coins. between counterfeiting, trade route, in five years you can have a ton of fake gold. join the warrior lodge, and hope they give you raid targets. My first 5 years as a viking is in business focus to debase some coinage to do other things like market villages and title creation. Then learning focus to study stars and build an observatory. gets me enough military tech to build shipyards.

Another way to get money when you can't raid as a tribal is the so and so has been misusing their office event. You can imprison then banish them and you'll get the gold, I think it just gives them some out of thin air because they always have over 100 and no way they actually embezzled that much when your income is like +.80 a month. Also you can look around at your vassals and if one has a decent amount of gold you can kill their whole family and inherit it.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Yeah I've seen vikings all the way down in Italy now and I've never seen that before. They hit areas on the french coast like Normandy constantly now too.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Doltos posted:

This game has never been about something being overpowered. After a couple playthroughs we pretty much all know the ways to cheese this game. It's about creating your own storylines and narratives in your head.

I wouldn't ever want to run an Immortal Warrior Lodge character because that just doesn't sound like fun. Or I'd run it and try to make him seduce every single queen possible over thousands of years and spread my genepool across the entire map. Actually that sounds like fun.

Yeah had a 34 martial African empress from that Hausa bloodline and decided to dismiss the immortal event because it'd be boring. If you've had one immortal character you've basically seen what's there. Succession is fun. If anything bloodlines even encourage it more for power gaming.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Game's not over until everybody's inbred.

Divine blood is obviously one of the choices everyone should pick when a region is reformed. African sister marrying with a touch of ancestor worship only I, the head of the religion, can confirm has worked out so far. They had the nerve to ask me if a guy who killed one of my previous rulers in battle should be venerated. gently caress you lowborn head of the holy order, not happening.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Really liking this new antagonize feature, especially when you're tribal and the merciless opinion balances itself out with a modifier to tribal opinion. I antagonized the pope and he sent back a reply basically admitting to my claims and the only option was to stop slandering him because he's so pathetic already.

Tribal governments with access to eldership succession are basically in the same space nomads were before now, where the real question isn't how can I become feudal, but why would I become feudal?

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Nov 19, 2018

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Strudel Man posted:

If you make a vassal 'pope' you can basically excommunicate - imprison - execute at will for no tyranny, which can be nice.

Or the slight variation of excommunicate - imprison hoping they revolt - take their poo poo if they do, humiliate and do it again if they don't. Pretty gamey but very effective. Temporal is good for calling your own great holy wars so I'd take that if you plan on expanding a lot more after reforming, otherwise having a vassal pope can be really good if you're already a large realm.

Oh and divine blood is always a solid doctrine. I took it for reformed African because I had 2 matrilineal bloodlines at that point but opinion bonuses are always welcome too.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

indigi posted:

can you kill the elders

Yes but the other elders won't like it. If they don't have any titles you can just ask them to leave your court though.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Has anyone checked if you can reform Rome with hellenism as your religion now? Before it was locked to just orthodox and maybe catholic I believe, I know I tried to do it with an orthodox heresy once and had to flip religions quick to be able to take the decision.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Volkerball posted:

Has anyone toyed around with using a dynamic mercenary company as a varangian guard of sorts? I'd like to dump like 10k into one and then put it on permanent retainer, but I'm not sure it's possible to do it cost effectively even in my rich rear end silk road republic game. And I'd be afraid of it disbanding when a leader dies or through an event or something and my initial investment disappearing. Any ideas?

I'm not sure if those types of mercenaries disband when the leader dies or not either. They're not actually your vassal when you form them though right? Probably the best way would be to give them money until they get enough men to siege a holding, then hire them when you're purposely broke so they attack you, let them win, then vassalize them later, either by just offering it if they're in your de jure lands or using the force vassalization cb. It's been a long time since I've vassalized a mercenary company but I think they'd be basically just like the varangians for the byzantines then. If you try this post the outcome because I'd be interested to see how it works with the dynamic companies. Will they get absolutely huge if they're constantly pulling in income from holdings?

Speaking of vassalizing weird things, any tips on vassalizing holy orders? I probably could've figured out a way but I was dealing with other things in my africa game and it wasn't immediately apparent how I was going to do it with their holy order.

e: I just loaded it up to check and I'm getting a big hit on offering vassalization due to the leader of the spirit guardians being of a foreign culture, but since I wiped out basically every other african culture that shouldn't be a problem much longer and enough bribes / swaying might be able to do it.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 21, 2018

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

Forming the Holy Roman Empire gives you the Reichskrone, and I think you get a special crown by forming the Persian Empire.

Got a level 4 crown for reforming the African faith too, it gives you some big tribal opinion bonuses and some war related bonuses too if I remember it right. I'd assume all pagans have something similar.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

binge crotching posted:

Yep, it makes everything but Proselytizing and Unyielding (religion_defensive) a trap. I think Proselytizing is probably the best, as I've had a number of independent pagan rulers offer to have me sponsor their conversion. I'm guessing it's a random thing, but it feels like having Proselytizing should make those requests more likely. It certainly does make it more likely to convert provinces/characters in your own realm.

Can confirm Unyielding is solid, I picked it for the defensive bonus since I figured as Africa I'd be fighting off some Jihads, but my vassals have been converting provinces and even waging wars of conquest against the weak muslims and catholics in iberia no problem.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Torrannor posted:

Most (all?) plots can't fire until there are at least three plotters. Invite more people.

They can fire with no additional plotters. Maybe there's a threshold for high enough intrigue but I literally just saw that happen earlier this week. I didn't think it could either until it did. It was a murder an infant plot if that matters. Suffocated by their maid.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

Also, how do I improve relations with other leaders to the point theyll marry their kids to my kids? Sending gifts only works a bit.

The new "sway" feature is pretty good for that, if your guy is good at getting along with people. Otherwise you can put your chancellor on another leader's capital and he'll try to improve relations. I'm not sure if it still works but you could have both your chancellor and chaplain on Rome for a double boost with the pope and then milk him for tons of cash since you're obviously a good catholic. Might be even more powerful now even.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

Yea after a few months it ticked up to 100% so I was able to take back my lands. Somehow the earl who had that territory died without an heir and this count in Poland got the land.

Ugh I've given money to the crusade, its too hard to get troops to man land Europe, also the Muslims are fielding 20k armies, I'm not going to be able to do anything with my in total 8k guys.

The other people in the crusade will be allies, just attach your troops to a big french stack or something.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Broken Cog posted:

I don't see how I'm deserving of the nickname "Son of Satan" when a dynasty member is outed as a devil worshipper, and I'm forced to burn them.

Yeah getting the kinslayer for that one shouldn't happen, I know I've gotten it just by not paying close enough attention. I mean, it wasn't me who did it, it was god.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You can manually baptize any of your kids (I think up to age 2) by right clicking on them - you only get the popup for the first one. The fact that you can't baptize your grandkids is annoying though since your landless children won't do it.

Yeah I don't know if they made stress/depression more common or what but it seems like 90% of my characters end up dying in their 30's of "severe stress".

That's good to know about baptizing. Stressed and depressed aren't that tough to get rid of, off the top of my head hunting, seduction (country retreat with a lover) and religion focuses can all get rid of them, as well as being a rank 2 hermetic. There's also random events to clear both that seem to pop up pretty often. I will say though it's kind of dumb how taking business focus will basically automatically lead to you being stressed.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
As long as people are talking about merchant republics, can anyone confirm one in Sinai can build posts in both the Mediterranean and the red sea? Created a vassal one there and they haven't built anything in the red sea yet, but I'm assuming that's because the provinces of that duchy on the red sea side are pretty poor and they've got to build one there first before they get access to the rest of the coast. Correct?

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Oh that's too bad. I know you can connect zones overland, like through the southern tip of Greece, but I suppose there's still a sea connection there. Oh well.

I'm playing as Jerusalem so I'll probably make one on Crete then switch the side of the red sea this one's capital is on or something.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Sydin posted:

Oh wow okay, I thought it was just holding the area around the Medditeranian. Didn't realize I had to go take the entire Peninsula. That's going to take awhile without breaking some truces, considering one dickhead owns the whole thing. :sigh:

I'm going for that right now too, almost there. From what I read it's the kingdoms of Jerusalem, Syria, Al Jyzira, Iraq and Arabia. If you have Egypt when you take the decision it immediately becomes de jure also. I crusaded Jerusalem and Syria, used the Alexander bloodline invasion on Egypt and Al Jyzira, and my vassals did most of the rest themselves. All that remains is the southeast tip of the peninsula, held by Pratihara, the largest and most powerful empire on the map. At least they won't be able to call a defensive pact against me.

e:I found out while doing this that you can get a bloodline for winning two crusades in a lifetime. The one I got gives a bigger share of crusade loot. I got like 8k gold from the next one and I didn't even win it. You might already need another crusader bloodline for this type to form. I also lucked out and got a saint bloodline with +30% damage against religious enemies. Really want one that converts counties cultures faster though so trying to get getting another saint at the moment.

DISCO KING posted:

I just ran into a very bad problem in my Ghana game. 100 years ago, I conquered Maghreb in ironman and it has de jure drifted into Ghana's sphere. Found a custom empire, rad af. I have three holy sites and I have reformed the religion to Cosmopolitan. I am now permanently locked from Imperial government, and I'm stuck at triple my vassal limit. Cosmopolitan religions can't religiously revoke titles, and that is a permanent requirement for imperial organization, as well as my critical +25 vassal limit. I'm turbofucked otherwise. I guess I could convert to Shia, change the law, die, succeed to a normal person, change to imperial law? Help!

Unless your vassal limit is like comically low you might just need to make some vassal kings. If you only have 3 of the holy sites it doesn't sound like you're that huge where you have a dozen kings under you already or anything.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 30, 2018

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Undoubtedly it's just a really bad balance measure to keep Africans from having too much money, but... why? Why not just let sub-saharan Africa be rich as poo poo?

Even with the new trade stuff down there it's still poor as poo poo, having one of those just lets you wage wars without blowing through your 5 year savings of 50 gold. I'm pretty sure the treasury event scales with income, I don't think I ever had to pay more than 150 gold for it even when I was emperor of the interior and north African coast because my actual income was so low. By that time I had several thousand gold just sitting in my treasury with nothing to spend it on because I'm tribal and had been raiding whenever I wasn't at war with my retinue like a tribal should. Even if for some reason you decide to make a feudal capital in hausaland or wherever you should still have plenty of gold from raiding. I mean everyone sits on 500-1k gold for emergencies right? Especially with the new coronations you never know when you'll need it.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Fuligin posted:

On the topic of broken DHEs, has anyone seen any of the turkish warlords fire recently? I don't think I have since like... conclave or way of life

I had Seljuk and Sabuktigin both in my most recent game. The requirements for them to fire are kind of strict though, especially with India or nomads often invading that part of that map.

Seljuk was pathetic against the massive Indian empire next door. Sabuktigin despite starting with even more event troops is about to suffer the same fate.

e: I should point out I'm not playing this Indian Empire. It seems like Pratihara forms as a huge empire without fail every game now.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 2, 2018

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Cow Bell posted:

Was the character I was playing! New guy lost the emperor title too and it's a big mess!

Congratulations on finding some super rare event I guess? I don't suppose you have a screenshot?

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

JosefStalinator posted:

If I want to do a run where I start an outremer empire from a crusade, what would be a good place to start?

I'd prefer to not be a King-level ruler, but rather a powerful count or duke that could be granted Jerusalem and then go it alone from there. Is that even possible, or would I need to be a King and get Jerusalem from the crusade and just give away my lands outside of the Holy Land?

I like Sicily, either the kingdom or the duchy, because the the duchy itself is really good with a lot of holdings and everything is coastal so you'll have a lot of boats. Also you're really close to most crusade targets to begin with. I started as the Duke of Salerno at the old gods start in the game where I did exactly that. You start with one province but I allied with Italy right off the bat and they basically won all my early wars for me.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

How the hell do I get people to join my secret Hellenic cult? Making them sympathetic to pagans is easy, but I can't get them to read the drat book I've left them. I've tried it on friends, my wife, other people who have 100 opinion on me, and have been unsuccessful every time. I thought maybe if they were cynical that might help, but it hasn't made a difference so far. I've even reloaded upon failing so I could try all of the available options, but nothing seems to matter. Is it just a very low chance, even if they have a maxed out opinion of me? I'd try asking children, but it looks like you can only ask them if they're in your court and I don't have any that are old enough yet anyway.

I thought being a secret pagan would be fun, but not if I'm the only one in the club.

It's not very fun because it's even more spammy than the seduction focus, but it's totally doable. You want to look at the stats, education and traits of the person you're trying to convince to join, not your own. I think having high diplomacy on your character does help, though. Look at it like a pyramid scheme, but work from the bottom up. Once you get a decent amount of people in it, it'll spread itself.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
If you're the largest catholic nation like he said he is once the first big counter attack from the Muslims is dealt with split your guys up into a bunch of little stacks and blanket siege as much as you can while the AI walks around aimlessly with their big stacks. You don't get any contribution for helping with a siege, only leading one. In fact you can use that to your advantage and blitz the walls down when AI armies are on top of one of your smaller siege stacks. A single big battle will give you more contribution than a single siege, yeah, but lots of sieges add up and are more reliable than trying to chase Muslim armies around.

edit: Oh and you can also invite commanders who have the siege leader trait to your court to speed this up. The Chinese siege engineers are even better.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Like I usually chime in to say when the subject of retinues comes up, it's not so much about the units themselves as it is the phases of battle and tactics. So using cataphracts as an example, they're really bad because they're expensive and are made up of two units that want to do two different things. Horse archers want to stay in skirmish and even have a tactic that can extend it, while heavy cavalry wants to get to the melee phase and have a tactic that cuts the skirmish phase short. They also have no tactics that can fire helping both unit types out. https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Combat_tactics lists them out, but in general you want units that all excel at one phase of battle together. So for example the new tribal retinue that is light infantry and light cavalry might not look that great at first glance but then they fire the raid tactic and suddenly they're doing 240% damage and routing things before they even get to the melee phase.

quote:

If you could run a 100% elephant retinue it would have the best raw stats in the game. You'd have to double check what triggers the grey wall tactic, but as far as base power goes it would be unmatched.

It's also probably not worth it though, since the cap usage is so high.

Actually it looks like you want to throw in like one elephant retinue with a lot of generic pike or heavy infantry to get elephant trample to fire.

If anyone is ever in doubt of their cultural retinue being any good generic pike or heavy infantry retinues are both solid.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 29, 2018