Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
The idea is that a thief/murderer would want to keep the mask on to conceal their face from video surveillance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The idea is that a thief/murderer would want to keep the mask on to conceal their face from video surveillance.

But they're going in expressly to commit a crime. It's not like employees didn't know what was up before the pandemic when someone would come in with a bandana or whatever.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

With proper mask regulations, we can prevent terrorism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nppON29OZ_4

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...-grand-n1200501

Have any of you been following the shooting of Ahmaud Arbery? He was shot and killed in SE Georgia in Feb. The DA has passed the case off now to 2 different DA's due to one of the shooters working with the local police department in the past. The third DA today recommended that a Grand Jury review the case, but that won't happen for a while due to COVID. The two shooters are free right now. Additionally, a few hours ago a Georgian radio station released video of the shooting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNZQvE2k4OE. I moved away from the area about 7 months ago, but everyone from that area on social media seems to be alluding to some kind of a protest starting in a few hours.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Endless_screaming_into_the_void.txt.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1257730653602361345

EDIT: It gets worse! Did you doubt it?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh it gets even dumber. No one consulted Fauci, he had no idea it was even being discussed:
https://twitter.com/PaulaReidCBS/status/1257741165383888897

Pence confirmed there'd been talks though:
https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1257742445443514375

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 6, 2020

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Pennsylvania County Declares Racism a Public Health Crisis
theroot.com/Wednesday 6:00PM
"The COVID-19 pandemic has fully illuminated the effect that decades of ingrained, systemic racism has had on the black community. The pandemic has had a disproportionate effect on black people on the economic front, in the severity of the virus’s symptoms, and in the racial disparity of its treatment. In Pittsburgh, an effort is underway to address that disparity."

States Getting Hit Hardest By Coronavirus Are Getting Stiffed by the Small Business Bailout Program
vice.com/May 6 2020
"On the other hand, some states with relatively few COVID-19 cases saw their small businesses get more loans. More than 55 percent of Nebraska businesses that applied for the loans received them, even though the state had seen fewer than a thousand confirmed cases at the time. (Currently, Nebraska has more than 6,300 positive cases and has seen 78 deaths, according to STAT News’ COVID-19 Tracker.)"

Every conversation about reopening should be about testing
vox.com/ May 8, 2020
'The conversation about when states should start to reopen their economies is growing louder and louder — with President Donald Trump and some governors suggesting it’s time to relax social distancing measures implemented in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

But many of those conversations are missing the point.

According to public health experts, the conversations should first and foremost focus on Covid-19 testing. Until the US and individual states scale up their testing capabilities, they shouldn’t even start talking about the prospect of reopening their economies.

“There’s this really big focus from a lot of governors and leadership on ‘reopening the country,’ but not emphasizing what they’re doing to make testing happen,” Saskia Popescu, an infectious disease epidemiologist, told me. “We can’t talk about reopening until we have a strategy for [testing and tracing].”'

White House Misled Public, Buried CDC Reopening Guidelines and is Now Preparing for Second Coronavirus Wave
newsweek.com/5/8/20
"The White House is preparing for a second wave of the coronavirus after reportedly attempting to mislead the public about their initial burying of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines on safely reopening the economy."

They Are Giving You Death and Calling It Liberty
rollingstone.com/May 6, 2020
"The reckless Republicans opening America up to a deadly pandemic want us to risk sacrificing our lives for their power"
"Since when should dying be the price of freedom? What kind of liberty could be won? And when we hear authority figures saying that we should accept that risk, should we feel liberated? Or just the opposite?"

Media coverage has blown anti-lockdown protests out of proportion
vox.com/May 10, 2020
"Recent anti-Trump rallies have been bigger than the anti-lockdown protests. Guess which ones got more media attention?"
"In the last few weeks, protests against state lockdowns and social distancing measures have seized national headlines. The wall-to-wall coverage might give the impression that what we’re seeing is a powerful grassroots movement in the making.

But research we just conducted on protest attendance and media coverage shows something different: this massive media coverage has in fact been out of proportion."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer
As States Rush to Reopen, Scientists Fear a Coronavirus Comeback
nytimes.com/May 11, 2020
"Officials are under pressure to restart the economy, but many states are moving too quickly, researchers say. The costs may be measured in lost lives."

South Korea struggles to contain new outbreak amid anti-gay backlash
theguardian.com/Mon 11 May 2020

Conservative columnist unloads on selfish Americans who are unwilling to forego brunch to save lives
rawstory.com/7 hours ago
'“Conservatives used to understand this,” Sykes remembered with longing. “Insisting on responsible self-government is not the opposite of freedom, it is the essential predicate. Freedom-oriented conservatives used to argue that individuals and non-governmental institutions would act in their rational self-interest and would do a better and more effective job than bureaucratic top-down fiats.”

He then noted that the decision by the president and others not to wear a mask is just another in a long line of selfish behaviors.

“Obviously, this breakdown is going to have huge consequences, because the key to fighting the pandemic is not simply technical (testing and tracing) but also political and social,” wrote Sykes.

Stanford professor Keith Humphreys noted that experts haven’t yet grappled with the idea that there are Americans who will be unwilling to be tested and refuse to self-isolate.'

Reposting:
White House Races to Contain Virus in Its Ranks: ‘It Is Scary to Go to Work’
nytimes.com/May 10, 2020
'The Trump administration is racing to contain an outbreak of the coronavirus inside the White House, as some senior officials believe that the disease is already spreading rapidly through the warren of cramped offices that make up the three floors of the West Wing.

Three top officials leading the government’s coronavirus response have begun two weeks of self-quarantine after two members of the White House staff — one of President Trump’s personal valets and Katie Miller, the spokeswoman for Vice President Mike Pence — tested positive. But others who came into contact with Ms. Miller and the valet are continuing to report to work at the White House.

“It is scary to go to work,” Kevin Hassett, a top economic adviser to the president, said on CBS’s “Face the Nation” program on Sunday. Mr. Hassett said he wore a mask at times at the White House, but conceded that “I think that I’d be a lot safer if I was sitting at home than I would be going to the West Wing.”

He added: “It’s a small, crowded place. It’s, you know, it’s a little bit risky. But you have to do it because you have to serve your country.”'

New stay home protest planned in Lansing — and cops, leaders have message for attendees
freep.com [Detroit Free Press]/May 12, 2020
'With Michigan officials preparing for another protest rally at the Capitol on Thursday, the state Senate's Republican leader denounced threats against Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and said anyone brandishing a firearm should be arrested.

Senate Majority Leader Mike Shirkey, R-Clarklake, said Tuesday that despite a longstanding rule that Michiganders with carry permits can bring firearms into the Capitol, anyone brandishing them in such a way as to intimidate or threaten anyone else should be "properly handcuffed, properly taken in (and) fingerprinted."

Michigan United for Liberty, a group opposed to Whitmer's sweeping stay-at-home orders intended to combat the spread of coronavirus, is organizing an event at the Capitol from 9 a.m to 1 p.m. Thursday. While its leaders say they have discouraged violence and have not encouraged anyone to bring a firearm, they recognize that some have done so.'

'Give me gains or give me death': Florida gym-goers protest lockdown with push-ups
theguardian.com/12 May 2020
'On Monday, a group of gym-goers assembled outside a courthouse in Clearwater, Florida, waving American flags while doing push-ups and squats on camera. The protesters held up placards saying “Give me gains or give me death” and “We will not comply."'

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Otteration posted:

'Give me gains or give me death': Florida gym-goers protest lockdown with push-ups
theguardian.com/12 May 2020
'On Monday, a group of gym-goers assembled outside a courthouse in Clearwater, Florida, waving American flags while doing push-ups and squats on camera. The protesters held up placards saying “Give me gains or give me death” and “We will not comply."'

You can't exercise at home. Really.

And they called us snowflakes.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

quote:

“I admit it was a huge mistake to visit the gay district when the corona situation was not fully over,” Lee Youngwu , a gay man in his30s, told the Guardian “But visiting the area is the only time when I can be myself and hang out with others similar to me. During the week, I have to pretend to like women.

“My credit card company told me that they passed on my payment information in the district to the authorities. I feel so trapped and hunted down. If I get tested, my company will most likely find out I’m gay. I’ll lose my job and face a public humiliation. I feel as if my whole life is about to collapse. I have never felt suicidal before and never thought I would, but I am feeling suicidal now.”

That's messed up. Their homophobic society caused this outbreak/situation and their response will cause more harm to gay people.

PainterofCrap posted:

You can't exercise at home. Really.

And they called us snowflakes.

Arnold loving Schwarzenegger is telling them to stay away from the gyms and how they can exercise at home. Feel like Arnie needs to make a follow up video for these people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4A43oSklDk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4tI0mQ4ZdI

droll fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 13, 2020

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

droll posted:

quote:

If I get tested, my company will most likely find out I’m gay.
That's messed up. Their homophobic society caused this outbreak/situation and their response will cause more harm to gay people.

In South Korea, you have no right to privacy when it comes to medical records.

Your employer can find out everything. It's one of the reasons mental health care is so bad, no one wants to get treated for depression or whatever because their employer will find out and fire them.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Canadian Air Force Pilot Dies After Jet Crashes During Coronavirus Tribute
nbcnewyork.com/Published 3 hours ago
'A Canadian air force pilot died Sunday after a jet crashed into a British Columbia home during a celebration for front-line workers in the coronavirus pandemic, authorities said.

The Royal Canadian Air Force said in a statement that another pilot was seriously injured in incident, which occurred in Kamloops, northeast of Vancouver. Additional details about the pilots weren't immediately available, NBC News reports.

The flight was part of “Operation Inspiration,” a nationwide mission aimed at saluting first responders and other essential workers. The Snowbirds are a military acrobatics squadron based in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.'

Eric Trump Claims COVID-19 Will ‘Magically’ Vanish After Election Day
huffpost.com/05/17/2020
'He claimed that the coronavirus that has killed 312,000 people around the globe — including nearly 90,000 Americans — is a ploy cooked up by the Democrats to stop Donald Trump from rallying his supporters at campaign events.'

Can't possibly imagine who else might ‘Magically’ vanish after election day.

VA says it won’t stop use of unproven malaria drug on veterans with coronavirus
militarytimes.com/8 hours ago
"Facing growing criticism, the Department of Veterans Affairs said Friday that it will not halt use of an unproven malaria drug on veterans with COVID-19 but that fewer of its patients are now taking it.

In responses provided to Congress and obtained by The Associated Press, the VA said it never “encouraged or discouraged” its government-run hospitals to use hydroxychloroquine on patients even as President Donald Trump heavily promoted the drug for months without scientific evidence of its effectiveness.

Still, it acknowledged that VA Secretary Robert Wilkie had wrongly asserted publicly without evidence that the drug had been shown to benefit younger veterans. The VA, the nation’s largest hospital system, also agreed more study was needed on the drug and suggested its use was now limited to extenuating circumstances, such as last-ditch efforts to save a coronavirus patient’s life."

Social distancing in US drops significantly from height of COVID-19 pandemic, poll finds
usatoday.com/May 15, 2020
'The number of Americans who say they are social distancing amid the nation's coronavirus pandemic – although still a majority – has dropped by 17 percentage points since late March as several states have ended stay-at-home orders, according to a new Gallup poll released Friday.

But the drop isn't just from individuals who live in states where they can now dine in restaurants, get haircuts at barbershops or visit parks. More people in states that still have stay-at-home restrictions are also no longer social distancing.

"It's certainly in those states," Jeffrey Jones, senior editor for the Gallup Poll, said of those that have reopened, "but it's also in the states that aren't loosening their restrictions as well."'

Texas COVID-19 cases rise, governor's office says more testing being done
abcnews.go.com/May 16, 2020
"Texas has seen a steady rise in novel coronavirus cases and fatalities since reopening just over two weeks ago.

There are now 45,198 confirmed cases of COVID-19, the illness caused by the virus, according to the Texas Department of State Health Services. That is an increase of 1,347 cases from Thursday to Friday. The new numbers have not yet been recorded for Saturday.

Last Friday, the daily case increase was 1,219."

Source confirms Iowa's first PMIS case, mystery illness in children connected to COVID-19
kcci.com/May 15, 2020
"The new disease is similar to Kawasaki and Toxic Shock syndrome. Doctors said the infection can lead to inflammation of the heart muscle and arteries. "

German cafe tells customers to wear pool noodles to enforce social distancing
cnn.com/May 15, 2020
Includes: photo.

Activists Leave Body Bags In State Capitals To Protest Reopenings
huffpost.com/ 05/12/2020
"Protesters in Texas, Florida and Arizona laid body bags outside statehouses and a governor’s mansion on Tuesday to protest plans to reopen businesses during the coronavirus pandemic."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
'Pharma Bro' Martin Shkreli Denied Release From Prison To Research Coronavirus Cure
npr.org/May 17, 2020
'A federal judge has denied a request from Martin Shkreli — the former pharmaceutical executive widely disdained as "Pharma Bro" — to be released from prison so he can work on a coronavirus treatment.

In her ruling Saturday, U.S. District Judge Kiyo Matsumoto sided with probation officials who described Shkreli's stated aim of developing a coronavirus cure as the type of "delusional self-aggrandizing behavior" that got him sentenced in the first place.

"The court does not find that releasing Mr. Shkreli will protect the public, even though Mr. Shkreli seeks to leverage his experience with pharmaceuticals to help develop a cure for COVID-19 that he would purportedly provide at no cost," Matsumoto wrote in a nine-page ruling.'

Nine pages in this instance seems a dynamic use of of carbon isolation. Yay on all counts.

'Neither Ironic or Funny': Cell Data Reveals Right-Wing Lockdown Protesters May Be Spreading Covid-19
commondreams.org/May 18, 2020
"The behavior we're seeing at protests carries a high risk of infection," said Dr. Rob Davidson, an emergency care physician and executive director of the Committee to Protect Medicare.
'Cellphone data provided to The Guardian by advocacy group Committee to Protect Medicare shows that the right-wing anti-lockdown protests encouraged by President Donald Trump may have resulted in the spread of coronavirus across the country as some demonstrators traveled to the events from out of state, flouted social distancing guidelines, and then returned to their home communities.

The Guardian reported Monday that the data shows demonstrators, some of them heavily armed, "are often traveling hundreds of miles to events" protesting state stay-at-home orders designed to stem the spread of Covid-19, which has infected more than 1.4 million people in the U.S. and killed at least 89,000.

"The behavior we're seeing at protests carries a high risk of infection," said Dr. Rob Davidson, an emergency care physician and executive director of the Committee to Protect Medicare. Many demonstrators at events in Michigan, Wisconsin, and other states did not wear masks or adhere to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines, which recommend that people remain at least six feet apart and avoid gathering in crowds.

"We can see protesters are going from a highly concentrated event and then dispersing widely," Davidson said.'

Quiet protest tax:

https://i.imgur.com/TCBlLHa.mp4

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Trump Is Brazenly Interfering With the 2020 Election
theatlantic.com/11:30 AM ET

[Pretty sure the individual in the included White House lawn photo is not much capable of blazingly interfering with a wee pile of wet sawdust, but anyway]:

"Imagine that the White House chief of staff wrote a secret memo, at the behest of the president of the United States, to the Treasury secretary and the director of the Office of Management and Budget. In the carefully hidden memo, the chief of staff directs the two to secretly and illegally cut off all federal funding to two key swing states, both led by Democratic governors, with the goal of rigging turnout in favor of the president’s party in the 2020 election.

Now imagine that the memo leaked to The Wall Street Journal, which splashed the story across its front page. The other major papers would quickly follow. Cable news would cover it wall to wall. There would be congressional investigations.

Now imagine that instead of conducting all this skulduggery in private, the president just openly tweeted it out. Actually, you don’t have to imagine it. You can just surf over to Donald Trump’s Twitter feed this morning:"

Racism declared a public health crisis in Ohio's most populated county
abcnews.go.com/May 20, 2020
" Officials in Ohio have declared racism a public health crisis in the state's most populated county.

Commissioners in Franklin County passed a resolution Tuesday that makes the declaration, as well as vows to support community efforts on racism and ensure that board commissioners will work under "antiracism principles."

The resolution was in the works well before the novel coronavirus crisis, according to officials.

“Racism has been a pandemic long before the current coronavirus pandemic,” Commissioner Kevin L. Boyce said in a statement. “Our declaration today is important, but it’s not saying anything that hasn’t been apparent for a long time. COVID-19 has highlighted the health divide between black and white Ohioans, however, and I hope that it can be the catalyst we need to reform the whole health system so that it works for all of us equally.”

The declaration describes race as a "social construct with no biological basis." It also identifies two types of racism: individualized racism and systemic racism."

Citing financial cost of pandemic, House liberals demand cut in military spending
washingtonpost.com/May 19, 2020
"Twenty-nine of the House’s most liberal Democratic members called Tuesday for a cut in military spending in the yearly national defense authorization bill — a declaration, they said, that is meant to focus federal resources on the coronavirus pandemic.

The demand, however, stands to greatly complicate the Democratic-controlled House’s ability to advance the National Defense Authorization Act, one of the most consequential must-pass measures that Congress assembles each year. It is likely to generate objections from Republicans and more moderate Democrats alike — and create headaches for Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and her leadership team.

The signers are almost all members of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, including lead sponsors Barbara Lee (Calif.) and Mark Pocan (Wis.), who have long called for lower levels of Pentagon spending to free more resources for domestic spending. But the pandemic, they argue, presents a new imperative for defense cuts."

‘Anti-lockdown protesters’ are nothing but strikebreakers
peoplesworld.org/May 18, 2020
"In the middle of this deadly COVID-19 pandemic, which has already cost our nation over 90,000 lives, we’ve seen the spectacle of crowds of heavily armed racist white men demanding the economy be reopened. They project an image of regular working folks pressed to speak out against government “tyranny” that has unreasonably forced them to stay home.

They say all they want is to reopen their little businesses and for the government to let all Americans go back to safe, peaceful, and prosperous work. Much like their overall view of the world, however, that is a false, misleading narrative."

Anti-lockdown protests aren’t just an American thing. They’re a global phenomenon.
vox.com/May 20, 2020
"The anti-lockdown protests that have garnered so much attention in the United States in recent weeks may seem like a uniquely American phenomenon. Wired’s Emma Grey Ellis called them an “American mess,” describing them as “a modern permutation of an identity crisis with roots very deep in America’s individualist history.”

The protests have been compared to other American political movements, from Trump rallies to the rise of the Tea Party in 2009, which took its own name from the 1773 Boston Tea Party, a seminal event in US history that helped spark the American Revolution and came to symbolize the fundamental American trait of rejection of tyranny and government overreach.

But while the anti-lockdown protests that have taken place in Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Minnesota, North Carolina, Utah, and elsewhere certainly have a distinctly American flavor, they are far from unique to America. Similar protests have taken place almost everywhere you look around the world."

Anti-lockdown demonstrators trade guns for scissors at Michigan 'haircut' protest
nbcnews.com/May 20, 2020
"Hundreds of protesters turned out Wednesday to protest Michigan's stay-at-home order — and get free haircuts.

Toting signs that read "End tyranny," "Live free or die" and accusing Gov. Gretchen Whitmer of "killing small businesses," demonstrators rallied outside the state Capitol in Lansing as part of "Operation Haircut."

Several barbers were in attendance, giving free trims to demonstrators. Some of the barbers and protesters were not wearing face coverings. Many of the demonstrators also stood within 6 feet of one another as they waited for their cuts.

At least three of the barbers were given citations for disorderly conduct, the state police said on Twitter.

"All individuals engaging in haircuts are being educated on the law," the police tweeted. "Those who do not comply will be cited for disorderly conduct. All citations will be forwarded to the AG’s Office for review."

The police estimated there were 350 people in attendance."

Coronavirus hot spots erupt across the country; experts warn of second wave in South
washingtonpost.com/May 20, 2020 at 6:22 p.m. CDT

Even If Cases Start Decreasing, Experts Say Second Wave Of COVID-19 Is Possible
cbslocal.com/May 20, 2020 at 7:34 pm

History's warning about a second wave of coronavirus
wfmynews2.com/Published: 5:16 PM EDT May 20, 2020
"Just like today, Americans were desperate to emerge from quarantine during the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic. But a second deadly wave of the virus was lurking."

https://www.saskarchives.com/sites/default/files/pictures/jollysad.jpg

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Looks like the guy who filmed the Aubrey killing just got charged with murder. Crazy.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
For those not familiar, the guy who filmed the murder chased Arbery down along with the other two, he wasn't just a guy who happened to be in the area and started filming when the killing took place.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Great, now charge whoever refused to arrest them initially with something too.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Someone said (earlier in this thread or some other thread) that the guy filming had already blocked Aubrey in, forcing him to turn around toward the father and son duo, or something like that.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
2 out of 3 tech workers would leave SF permanently if they could work remotely
sfgate.com/May 22, 2020
"Life and work in the Bay Area may be changed forever.

An anonymous survey of 4,400 tech workers, conducted by Blind, found that two thirds of employees would consider leaving the Bay Area if they had the option to work remotely, as reported by Business Insider.

That option seems more and more likely as tech giants announce plans to let employees work remotely, indefinitely."

Hundreds protest in Sacramento against stay-at-home order
sfgate.com/May 23, 2020
"Hundreds of protesters rallied outside the state Capitol on Saturday to protest against California's stay-at-home orders even as residents entered the Memorial Day weekend with newly expanded options for beachgoing, barbecuing and shopping.

The rally to demand that Gov. Gavin Newsom lift his restrictions on business, religious gatherings and other activities took on the atmosphere of a political rally and festival on a closed-off street."

6 months on, Trump hasn't completed his physical. The White House won't say why.
nbcnews.com/May 22, 2020
"’s been more than six months since President Donald Trump claimed to have started his annual physical at Walter Reed hospital but the White House is declining to explain why he has yet to complete the yearly doctor’s examination."

Trump Forced Meat Processing Plants to Stay Open. Now There's Almost 600 Workers With Coronavirus at a North Carolina Plant.
vice.com/May 21 2020
"Tyson Foods has yet another massive coronavirus outbreak at one of its meat processing plants: Almost 600 workers and contractors employed at its North Carolina chicken processing complex have tested positive for COVID-19 just a week after slowing production to a crawl."

President Trump Orders Flags To Fly At Half-Staff As U.S. Mourns Nearly 100,000 Dead
npr.org/May 22, 2020

Brazil Is Starting to Lose the Fight Against Coronavirus—and Its President Is Looking the Other Way
time.com/May 21, 2020
"On May 9, Brazil’s death toll from the coronavirus topped 10,000. Instead of marking the grim milestone with an address or a sign of respect for the victims, President Jair Bolsonaro took a spin on a jet ski. Video footage widely circulated on social media shows Brazil’s far-right leader grinning as he pulls up to a boat on Brasília’s Paranoá Lake where supporters are having a cookout. As he grips onto their boat, Bolsonaro jokes about the “neurosis” of Brazilians worried about the virus. “There’s nothing to be done [about it],” he shrugs. “It’s madness.”"

Desperate workers rush to delivery app jobs to find low pay and punishing rules
washingtonpost.com/May 23, 2020
'There weren’t many opportunities for hospitality workers such as Salgado under the city’s shelter-in-place order. But Salgado had his own car and figured he would have an easier time finding a side hustle than his co-workers. To make rent, he threw himself into working full-time for grocery delivery company Instacart, which has exploded in popularity during the coronavirus pandemic and is hiring 550,000 workers to keep up with demand.

“Honestly, I feel like I have no other choice,” he said. “There’s really no other place to work unless it’s working at a grocery store, doing delivery service like this.”'

Trump Misleads on Hydroxychloroquine, Again
factcheck.org/May 21, 2020
"In announcing that he has been taking hydroxychloroquine to prevent COVID-19, President Donald Trump made a series of inaccurate, unsubstantiated or misleading statements related to the drug, which remains an unproven treatment against the coronavirus:"

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Anti-mask protesters are trying to commandeer US disability laws to get into stores without face coverings

No masks allowed: stores turn customers away in US culture war

When Mask-Wearing Rules in the 1918 Pandemic Faced Resistance

White House imposes coronavirus travel ban on Brazil

Gov. Walz: Large Amount Of COVID-19 Testing Equipment Bound For Minn. ‘Picked Off’ By Federal Gov’t

Trump Used To Tee Off On Obama For Golfing During Ebola Outbreak That Killed 2 In America

Trump rips Columbia as 'disgraceful institution' after study showed lives lost due to delayed shutdown
'President Trump ripped Columbia University as a “disgraceful institution” in a new interview released Sunday after it released a study last week concluding thousands of lives could have been spared in the U.S. if shutdowns weren’t delayed.

Sharyl Attkisson asked the president about the study, which determined almost 36,000 deaths from COVID-19 through early May could have been avoided if social distancing and lockdowns had started earlier.

The president called the fact that the university would issue the study “a disgrace” on the show “Full Measure.”

“Columbia is a liberal, disgraceful institution to write that because all the people that they cater to were months after me,” Trump said.

“And I saw that report,” he added. “It's a disgrace that Columbia University would do it, playing right to their little group of people that tell them what to do.”'

Covid-19 cases surge in some states as Americans celebrate Memorial Day weekend

Eta: local storm takes up time, but all dates above are recent.

Otteration fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/01/opinion/steve-king-iowa-republican.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

A good summary of how the Republican political machine has almost gotten to where the rest of the world was on Steve King about 10 years ago. King has no committee assignments, no RNC support for his campaign (his primary opponent is well bankrolled), and spends a lot of his free time just running around the world and stumping for other open white supremacists. He currently still leads in polls.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/01/opinion/steve-king-iowa-republican.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage