Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

mistaya posted:

Can't Colorodo folks bombard them with phone calls that this ain't okay because it seems like we need to hold their feet to the fire or they'll never do anything good. Electing Democrats doesn't mean anything if they default to corporatism the second the take office. And unlike Republicans them being terrible corporate shills is not what they were elected to do so it just depresses turnout in the next election because they've downright proven that :matters:

If you live in CO, join your local DSA and push them to do things the way you want. There's so much potential here, and we can't waste it.

quote:

e: This thread is cool and good and everything I wanted.

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

eke out posted:

What I was discussing wasn't any "foregone revenue" out of the goodness of anyone's hearts, so I'm not sure why you're characterizing it like that. The literal text of the amendment limits it to court-ordered fees or restitution - ones that are "terms of [the] sentence" - which is meaningfully different than 'any court-related fees you might owe.' Again,

Sorry, I was looking at things in the context of where things were before the passage of the amendment where there was no incentive for anyone to let people convicted of felonies avoid paying every cent as soon as humanly possible. I think that the vast majority have had every relevant fee, restitution, penalty &mc. paid off long ago to the extent that anybody could force them. I don't know which ones would prevent them from voting in the future and you'd certainly know far better than me.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/CalOrganize/status/1061345693296603136

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/aaronjmate/status/1060199386515423233

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

It is impressive just how vile Trump really is.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Has he finally accepted the death toll count there?

Edit:

Condiv posted:

are you posting in the wrong thread? this is USNEWS

Yeah I was reading on my phone and somehow got them mixed up.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 12, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Push El Burrito posted:

I can't believe Hillary coordinated a bloodless coup and now rules the DNC with an iron fist.

are you posting in the wrong thread? this is USNEWS

i really hope more dems start supporting M4A and capitalize on this

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

How many displaced Puerto Ricans wound up in Florida? Did they vote in any kind of numbers this time?

Nemo Somen
Aug 20, 2013

The bottom two issues are the ones with the largest split between Republicans and Democrats, so no wonder they would be at the bottom. The poll also demonstrates that Republicans are very much still the party for people who value personal wealth over other issues. Additionally, even if the Russia investigation has the lowest importance rating that could just be a signal that some people feel that it is being handled well enough.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Nemo Somen posted:

The bottom two issues are the ones with the largest split between Republicans and Democrats, so no wonder they would be at the bottom. The poll also demonstrates that Republicans are very much still the party for people who value personal wealth over other issues. Additionally, even if the Russia investigation has the lowest importance rating that could just be a signal that some people feel that it is being handled well enough.

Additionally, democrats didn't run on the Russia investigation at all, barring some edge cases like Rouda where his opponent's hilarious russia-related corruption was a key issue - the closest they came would be saying things like "oversight" or "checks and balances."

But anyways, Aaron Mate has spent months saying the Russia probe is fake, or doesn't matter, or people don't care about it, etc. IDK what the deal is but he's been pretty consistent and it's made him one of the go-tos for russiagate disbelievers.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nemo Somen posted:

Yup. I mean, Russia didn't get much appreciation on the right since they'd rather just ignore it. The economy and women's place in society pick up both sides, since you could list the latter as important because you were either a feminist or an MRA type who wants women out of public life. In short, I'm not convinced the data says what the tweeter wants it to say.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nemo Somen posted:

people from both parties care about russia gate, just from opposite angles.

most americans are more concerned with real matters, like not going into life ending debt every time they go to the hospital, being able to afford rent/food or not getting shot because they have a bit of melanin.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
RE: Puerto Rico supposedly using disaster relief money to pay of debt

I hate that he's racist and sexist and an idiot and all that, but this is the two-parter that consistently pisses me off about him

1. He just says whatever the gently caress he wants and no one with any clout ever calls him out on it.
2. Whenever a journalist, etc ever attempts to call him out on something, he either:
A. lies that he never said it (even though he's on tape or he tweeted it himself), which results in absolutely zero repercussions
B. doubles down, which also results in absolutely zero repercussions

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Well it is what he would do with the money. :v:

I kid, I kid. He never pays off debts.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

He's projecting again. If he was in a similar position, that's what he would do!

e:fb

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mezzanine posted:

I hate that he's racist and sexist and an idiot and all that, but this is the two-parter that consistently pisses me off about him

1. He just says whatever the gently caress he wants and no one with any clout ever calls him out on it.
2. Whenever a journalist, etc ever attempts to call him out on something, he either:
A. lies that he never said it (even though he's on tape or he tweeted it himself), which results in absolutely zero repercussions

you know, i haven't looked at the statutes or anything but i have a very strong feeling that it's literally impossible to spend disaster relief money on paying down debt obligations (in a way that isn't obviously illegal, I mean)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

man i bet regressive are donating money and helping just like nonregressives did when that regressive office in 2016 got a fire and-ijhsxfuidsfhifudhfuyihsdjgfuyhsjdkgfu7yswgwfdtwsegfy8

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

you know, i haven't looked at the statutes or anything but i have a very strong feeling that it's literally impossible to spend disaster relief money on paying down debt obligations lol

What if it's debt for various disaster relief services? :smug:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Also, calling it now: it will be revealed that the reason Trump skipped the tour of the military cemetery was to have a secret, unscheduled meeting with Putin.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i was looking at this, and here's what's in the final bill

quote:

The final version allows a special counsel fired by the attorney general or other senior Justice Department official to challenge the action in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. It also would protect any and all documents relevant to the special counsel’s investigation during that legal challenge.

. . .

The final compromise would require the special counsel to submit a report to Congress at the conclusion of the investigation detailing his or her findings and explaining any prosecutorial decisions.

Better than nothing but.. still kind of poo poo, if the worry is one guy just quietly sabotaging everything as opposed to outright firing everyone. Also this kind of removal protection might not be legal - I think it would be, but it would 100% for-sure be taken up to the Supreme Court if it ever had to be invoked.

That said, mandating a report to Congress, as opposed to leaving that to the discretion of the attorney general, though, is very good.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mezzanine posted:

The problem is that it's a deliberate tactic of his to avoid repercussions. He's done it his entire life. He's a constant Gish Gallop of lies.

If you call him out on one lie, he'll tell three more and then insist he never said the first one. It's a never-ending chain that he can keep doing until his pursuers give up.

Not playing the game is the only way to win.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1061773342112247808

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Mezzanine posted:

Agreed. It's the rotten cherry on top of the dunghill sundae. Innocent people suffer after they are subjected to his terrible behavior, and then a bunch of us look around and say, "Wait, really? None of you have anything to say about this? We're just letting this slide?"

Regarding the Gallup poll, as others have noted it's just a result of survey design. The top ten issues have opposing points with support by one party or the other, but regressives just put their fingrts in their ears and pretend that climate change and the Mueller investigation don't have any significance. Watergate would have polled similarly before it broke wide open.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Zwabu posted:

How many displaced Puerto Ricans wound up in Florida?

https://streamable.com/s/kir7j/evobjy

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/noahshachtman/status/1061793596247023616?s=21

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/GKBhambra/status/1061584832269033472?s=19

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

this is a really good article

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Not all NYT opeds are horrible, just 99.999999... %

https://twitter.com/SeanTrende/status/1061647085647343616

Between this, we also need to grant DC and PR statehood, ensure all states have early voting, paper ballots, and vote by mail with no lovely signature matching laws.

What else am I missing?

Oh yeah, bipartisan commissions to draw district maps, and an end to partisan gerrymandering.

I'm sure there's more electoral changes needed, but that would be a great start.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 12, 2018

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Not all NYT opeds are horrible, just 99.999999... %

https://twitter.com/SeanTrende/status/1061647085647343616

Between this, we also need to grant DC and PR statehood, ensure all states have early voting, paper ballots, and vote by mail with no lovely signature matching laws.

What else am I missing?

Oh yeah, bipartisan commissions to draw district maps, and an end to partisan gerrymandering.

I'm sure there's more electoral changes needed, but that would be a great start.

Funny enough, we have a thread about electoral reform!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3874142

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

axeil posted:

Funny enough, we have a thread about electoral reform!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3874142
I missed that! I'll cross post. Great OP by the way.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

No poo poo? I knew a lot of them came here to Orlando, but I never thought it would be more than Miami or something.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1061646975773360129?s=19

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That's encouraging. I really do hope that younger folks goaded into action by years of abuse and mismanagement stay engaged once Trump is out of office.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

More universal for some than others still. We can start using that word when people can trust on their ballots being counted without fuckery.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mezzanine posted:

No poo poo? I knew a lot of them came here to Orlando, but I never thought it would be more than Miami or something.
There was a huge PR population here even before Irma hit, and now it's bigger

I want to know why so many of them are going to Polk County of all places. At least the other listed counties in FL make sense (urban areas). Polk is almost all rural with some minor stuff around Lakeland.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

"People have forgotten someone might have done crimes, because it's taken the investigators a long time to pin down the extent to which crimes were committed... IS THE JIG UP?"

This dude wrote an entire article on the statute of limitations on crimes in the court of public opinion, which... who the gently caress cares?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I want to know why so many of them are going to Polk County of all places. At least the other listed counties in FL make sense (urban areas). Polk is almost all rural with some minor stuff around Lakeland.

Probably cheaper cost of living?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

some conflux of an already-existing community in the area, extended family, availability of jobs, etc.

Polk seems less strange when you start looking at stats like

and, population-wise, Orlando and the surrounding areas are by far the densest outside of the greater Miami area even before the storms (and, for those not familiar, central FL is much cheaper cost of living)

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 12, 2018

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Projection.

That's what he would do.

In other news, our chance of winning Arizona in 2020 has gone up

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/1061771926211907584

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Charlz Guybon posted:

Projection.

That's what he would do.

In other news, our chance of winning Arizona in 2020 has gone up

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/1061771926211907584

This feels like an unusual amount of retracted/blown calls for an election-- both in that it's several media companies making the same mistakes, and that there's been so many of them. I don't remember these sorts of slipups happening in 2016 or before-- am I wrong?