Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

VideoGameVet posted:

Seniors (Ok, Boomer) and low income people get a nice discount in Los Angeles.

I pay 75¢ peak and 35¢ off-peak for the subway and buses.

LIVING THE DREAM.

Here's a great piece on how Boomers are loving the UK. He mentions all the senior citizen discounts were created because traditionally being a senior citizen also meant you lived in poverty. But now, with their wealth secured in real estate, the average senior citizen has more disposable income (spending power) than the average millenial. So these are just added perks instead of life-lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuXzvjBYW8A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Old James posted:

Here's a great piece on how Boomers are loving the UK. He mentions all the senior citizen discounts were created because traditionally being a senior citizen also meant you lived in poverty. But now, with their wealth secured in real estate, the average senior citizen has more disposable income (spending power) than the average millenial. So these are just added perks instead of life-lines.

This is really interesting. Thanks for linking it.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Old James posted:

Good thing I have no RE wealth.

But yeah, I think the point is correct.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1229644949366374400?s=20

:byewhore:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It's strategic, to shield their assets from court claims.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Also very, very obvious.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh, the WR Grace technique! :v:

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer
Trump’s 29th Trip To Mar-a-Lago Brings Golf Tab To 334 Years Of Presidential Salary
huffpost.com/02/14/2020

White House effectively admits Iran did not pose an 'imminent threat'
msnbc.com/Feb. 17, 2020

Justice Department storm intensifies with new attacks on Barr's credibility
cnn.com/February 18, 2020

Ted Cruz Is Not a Fan of the Government Telling Men What to Do With Their Bodies
vice.com/Feb 18 2020

Trump budget zeroes out funding for Stars and Stripes, the military's newspaper
yahoo.com/February 14, 2020

Boy Scouts of America, hobbled by multiple sex-abuse lawsuits, files for bankruptcy protection
nbcnews.com/Feb. 18, 2020

Iowa Senate Republicans advance new 72-hour abortion waiting period after previous version struck down in court
desmoinesregister.com/Feb. 18, 2020

Medicare for All Would Save $450 Billion and Prevent 68,000 Deaths Every Year
truthout.org/February 16, 2020

Kennedy Catholic HS students, parents protest teacher resignations
komonews.com/February 18th 2020

Crowd Outside Mark Zuckerberg's Home Protests Political Disinformation on Facebook: 'Wake the Zuck Up'
newsweek.com/2/18/20

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Discendo Vox posted:

We're seeing a number of sporting institutions threatening to do this in Australia with new legislation coming in regarding compensation for children who were abused by such organisations.

They think that people will say, "Oh no, you poor sporting organisation, please don't shut your doors after turning a blind eye to the rape of children by your staff at your facilities for decades! Please don't go! You did just so much good in the world when you weren't holding children down and raping them."

Sadly, they're probably right.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Hey now, I learned some good life ethics from them up through sixth grade.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
The Boy Scouts were selling their lovely popcorn for like $20 or $25 a bag recently. Lol, no wonder.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zipperelli. posted:

The Boy Scouts were selling their lovely popcorn for like $20 or $25 a bag recently. Lol, no wonder.

They've been losing a lot of their funding from right-wing churches (especially the Mormons) over their "Let's stop being lovely to LGBT people and women" moves.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
BSA is so decentralized in practice that experiences vary widely.

Mine was great, because the parent volunteers were great. Head Council was just a very minor obstacle to us for the most part.

Other places lean heavily into the religion or just have poo poo local leadership.

It really is a shame because there is a LOT of real value in there somewhere.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Bloop posted:

BSA is so decentralized in practice that experiences vary widely.

Mine was great, because the parent volunteers were great. Head Council was just a very minor obstacle to us for the most part.

Other places lean heavily into the religion or just have poo poo local leadership.

It really is a shame because there is a LOT of real value in there somewhere.

Agreed. I've seen a couple articles suggesting the death of the BSA might be exactly what scouting in America needs. I think they might be right.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Agreed. I've seen a couple articles suggesting the death of the BSA might be exactly what scouting in America needs. I think they might be right.

Possibly. But again, a lot of the money in the BSA came from far-right religious organizations, especially the Mormons, and a lot of those groups already split off to try making their own Scouting organizations but with the religious and conservative elements out in the open.

The death of the BSA may not do much harm, but I can't see it doing much good, either.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

BSA shuttering means that it can't do any more harm, and that's what I care about. I was a weeblo and it was not a positive experience.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Kith posted:

BSA shuttering means that it can't do any more harm, and that's what I care about. I was a weeblo and it was not a positive experience.

The regional level organizations are separate entities and they won’t be closing down. The organization has made a lot of changes to protect youth (my local council has required background checks for all adult volunteers for 5+ years) and I think it’s one of the better national youth orgs as long as the individual troops can maintain independence from its sponsoring org (aka the church stays out).

I’m sorry you had a bad experience, and I hope you didn’t have any actual harm come to you.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Fellis posted:

The regional level organizations are separate entities and they won’t be closing down. The organization has made a lot of changes to protect youth (my local council has required background checks for all adult volunteers for 5+ years) and I think it’s one of the better national youth orgs as long as the individual troops can maintain independence from its sponsoring org (aka the church stays out).

Well, that complicates things. Here I was hoping that it would be a nice and easy dollop of catharsis.

quote:

I’m sorry you had a bad experience, and I hope you didn’t have any actual harm come to you.

I'd rather not turn this into E/N, so I'll leave it at "my scoutmasters should be in prison".

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Obviously not everyone had the same experiences. I was a cub scout, webelos, and boy scout, and I learned a ton and had a great time.

Someone with the local boy scout council in my area was interviewed in the newspaper, and they claimed nothing locally was going to change.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Trump Has Now Shifted $1.9 Million From Campaign Donors To His Business
forbes.com/Feb 19, 2020

The Trump administration hopes that America's hunters and fishermen can be played for fools
dailykos.com/February 15, 2020
'Over the first nine days of February, thousands of hunters, fishermen, gun aficionados, and other outdoor sports enthusiasts poured into an annual central Pennsylvania event: the Great American Outdoor Show. Prominently sponsored by the National Rifle Association, this sprawling exhibition features high-power firearms showcased by hundreds of national and international vendors—along with, to a lesser degree, standard hunting rifles, bowhunting gear, fishing tackle, and backwoods outfitting—and is explicitly billed by the NRA as celebrating “hunting, fishing, and outdoor traditions treasured by millions of Americans and their families.”'

They were one of the first families separated at the border. Two and a half years later, they’re still apart.
washingtonpost.com/Feb. 17, 2020

US judge sides with migrants in case against Border Patrol
kold.com/ February 19, 2020
"A U.S. judge in Arizona has issued a permanent order requiring the Border Patrol to provide clean mats and thin blankets to migrants within 12 hours of arriving at a detention facility."

ICE deported a trans asylum-seeker. She was killed in El Salvador.
pri.org/February 13, 2020

Mississippi prison crisis: 18th inmate dies since Dec. 29, second in 24 hours
usatoday.com/Feb. 16, 2020

What is the 'boogaloo?' How online calls for a violent uprising are hitting the mainstream
msn.com/11 hrs ago
"An anti-government movement that advocates for a violent uprising targeting liberal political opponents and law enforcement has moved from the fringes of the internet into the mainstream in recent months and surged on social media, according to a group of researchers that tracks hate groups."

Indigenous Peoples Report Racism Surge as Wet'suwet'en Rail Blockades Grow
vice.com/Feb 19 2020

Uber shuts downtown L.A. office, laying off about 80
latimes.com/Feb. 18, 2020

FRONTLINE: Amazon Empire: The Rise and Reign of Jeff Bezos
pbs.org/ 02/18/20/1h 54m 22s

"Amazon Empire" is PBS' frightening look at Jeff Bezos' relentless capitalist success story
salon.com/February 19, 2020
"PBS' "Frontline" confronts how much we are all contributing to the richest man in the world's vision for domination"

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Trump signs order diverting water to California farmers against state wishes
thehill.com/02/19/20
"President Trump on Wednesday signed an order in California to re-engineer the state’s water plans, completing a campaign promise to funnel water from the north to a thirsty agriculture industry and growing population further south.

The ceremonial order comes after the Department of the Interior late last year reversed its opinion on scientific findings that for a decade extended endangered species protections to various types of fish — a review that had been spurred by the order from Trump."

Iowa lawmakers kill mobile home park bills as residents beg, 'please, help us'
desmoinesregister.com/Feb. 19, 2020
'Iowa mobile home park residents gathered at the Capitol on Wednesday to advocate for state action to boost protections against steep rent hikes and evictions, even as key lawmakers said bills to do that would not advance this session.

At a news conference, residents detailed the impact of the out-of-state firms that have bought several Iowa mobile home parks over the past few years, in some cases increasing the rents substantially.

"These corporate entities are coming after us like a virus, and we don't have time for a cure," said Carrie Presley, president of the mobile home owners association at Table Mound Mobile Home Park in Dubuque. "You guys are it. So please, help us."

Republican lawmakers in the House and Senate who control which bills will receive hearings before a legislative "funnel" deadline on Friday said they would not advance the mobile home park bills in either chamber.'

ICE defies California law, arrests people at courthouse
borderreport.com/Feb 20, 2020/by: OLGA R. RODRIGUEZ and JULIET WILLIAMS, Associated Press
"U.S. immigration agents arrested two people at a Northern California courthouse, including a man detained in a hallway on his way to a hearing, flouting a new state law requiring a judicial warrant to make immigration arrests inside such facilities.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents made the arrests Tuesday at Sonoma County Superior Court, prompting an outcry from criminal justice and court officials who said the action undermines local authority and deters immigrants who are in the country illegally from participating in the U.S. justice system.

ICE said California’s law doesn’t supersede federal law and “will not govern the conduct of federal officers acting pursuant to duly-enacted laws passed by Congress that provide the authority to make administrative arrests of removable aliens inside the United States.”

Poor People’s Campaign Puts the Spotlight on Poverty
commondreams.org/February 20, 2020
"Series of gatherings around the country builds momentum for June 20 march."
'James Shearer was living out of sight and beyond care among Boston’s homeless in the 1980s. Now he is helping to give them a voice.

“Why does this country cater to the rich while allowing working-class men and women, who work multiple jobs, with long hours, to live in places that are unfit for humanity?” asked Shearer, sixty, at a mass meeting on February 5 in the small town of Greenfield in western Massachusetts. “Instead of helping the homeless, they are criminalized, abused, arrested, preyed upon by bullies, and marginalized. And when we die in the street, there is no funeral.”'

Protesting Syracuse Students Are Still Occupying An Administration Building After About 30 Were Suspended
buzzfeednews.com/February 19, 2020
'More than two dozen students have occupied the admissions building of Syracuse University since Monday, protesting what they described as the university administration’s “complacency in the spreading of white nationalistic ideology.”

The protest movement, which is led by black students and tweets under the hashtag #NotAgainSU, has been active since it was formed in late November.'

ETA:

Walmart Workers Demand Fair Pay and Hours at Protest Outside Alice Walton's Penthouse as Retail Giant Cuts Jobs
commondreams.org/February 18, 2020

'"Walmart workers issued a "wake up call" to Alice Walton, an heir to the retailer's $500 billion fortune, in New York on Tuesday by marching to Walton's New York penthouse and demanding her company pay its 1.5 million workers a living wage and give them reliable, stable work schedules.

The protest was partially a response to the company's so-called "Great Workplace" restructuring initiative which Walmart began testing last year and plans to roll out in at least 1,100 of its 5,300 U.S. stores by the end of 2020.

According to internal documents obtained by the Washington Post Tuesday, employees are bracing for job cuts under the program, which will consolidate multiple workers' responsibilities into single roles with hourly pay staying the same or even going down in some cases.'

https://i.imgur.com/hna3aAa.jpg

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
New Trump Disability Rule Targets Non-English Speakers
yahoo.com/February 20, 2020
"The Trump administration is finalizing a new rule barring Social Security disability examiners from considering someone’s inability to speak English as a factor in whether they should be eligible for benefits."

Trump's push to install people loyal to him in law enforcement, intelligence appears to be well underway
theweek.com/February 21, 2020

How Stephen Miller Manipulates Donald Trump to Further His Immigration Obsession
newyorker.com/February 21, 2020
"Donald Trump’s senior adviser has been the true driving force behind this Administration’s racist agenda. How far will he go?"
'One afternoon in November, a half-dozen government officials sat at a conference table in the White House, waiting for the arrival of Stephen Miller, a senior adviser to Donald Trump. Miller had summoned officials from the Departments of Homeland Security, State, and Justice to discuss a new Administration policy initiative: a series of agreements with the governments of Central America that would force asylum seekers to apply for protection in that region instead of in the United States. Miller, who had helped make the deals, wanted to know when their provisions could go into effect. Typically, everyone rises when top White House officials enter a room. But when Miller walked in, wearing a dark suit and an expression of wry resolve, everyone remained seated, their eyes cast down. “You go into meetings with Miller and try to get out with as little damage as possible,” a former Administration official told me. Miller has a habit of berating officials, especially lower-ranking ones, for an agency’s perceived failures. Chad Wolf, now the acting head of D.H.S., used to advise colleagues to placate Miller by picking one item from his long list of demands, and vowing to execute it. “It’s a war of attrition,” Wolf told them. “Maybe he forgets the rest for a while, and you buy yourself some time.”

One participant in the November meeting pointed out that El Salvador didn’t have a functioning asylum system. “They don’t need a system,” Miller interrupted. He began speaking over people, asking questions, then cutting off the answers.'

We Calculated How Much We Pay Trump to Play Golf. It Turns Out, He's America's 10th Highest Paid Athlete
theroot.com/Wednesday 3:12PM

Rudy Giuliani hit with a criminal complaint for allegedly manipulating federal resources to advance a partisan agenda
rawstory.com/February 21, 2020
"A government watchdog group has filed a criminal complaint to federal prosecutors in New York calling for an investigation into President Donald Trump’s personal attorney Rudy Giuliani’s shadow foreign policy efforts in Ukraine.

Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) called on the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York (SDNY), which was once led by Giuliani, to launch an investigation after Trump admitted last week that he directed the attorney to go to Ukraine and pressure leaders to pursue baseless allegations against his political rivals. The effort came as Trump directed a freeze on nearly $400 million in military aid to Ukraine appropriated by Congress, an order which violated federal law, according to the Government Accountability Office."

Justice Sotomayor warns the Supreme Court is doing special favors for the Trump administration
vox.com/Feb 22, 2020
"The ordinary rules no longer apply when the Trump administration shows up in court."
'The Supreme Court voted along party lines Friday evening to allow a Trump administration rule restricting low-income immigrants’ ability to enter the US to take full effect. All four of the Court’s Democratic appointees dissented, with Justice Sonia Sotomayor writing a sharply worded dissenting opinion accusing her Court of “putting a thumb on the scale in favor of” the Trump administration.

“It is hard to say what is more troubling,” Sotomayor wrote. “That the government would seek this extraordinary relief seemingly as a matter of course, or that the Court would grant it.”'

California proposes a path to stripping PG&E of its license
latimes.com/Feb. 19, 2020
"Gov. Gavin Newsom has said he wants the option to take over bankrupt PG&E Corp. if the utility gets into trouble again. Now, the state has laid out a road map for how that could happen."

Facebook faces tax court trial over Ireland offshore deal
reuters.com/February 18, 2020
"Facebook Inc is slated to begin a tax trial in a San Francisco court on Tuesday, as the Internal Revenue Service tries to convince a judge the world’s largest social media company owes more than $9 billion linked to its decision to shift profits to Ireland."

Company Lays Off 2,300 Employees To Convert Workforce To Independent Contractors
labor411.org/February 19, 2020
"A food delivery company no longer wants its employees to be, well, employees. Instead its laying off over 2,000 of them to switch to an independent contractor model, which will save the company money at the expense of workers."

Small town residents threaten to sue their own kids’ financially strapped school over a rainbow flag
queerty.com/February 20, 2020
"In 2016, Donald Trump won the county where Marshall is located with roughly 60 percent of the vote."

How Hindu supremacists are tearing India apart
theguardian.com/20 Feb 2020
"For seven decades, India has been held together by its constitution, which promises equality to all. But Narendra Modi’s BJP is remaking the nation into one where some people count as more Indian than others."

Mormon Church Formalizes Punishments for Trans Members
advocate.com/February 19 2020

[Original link]:

LDS Church publishes new handbook with changes to discipline, transgender policy
sltrib.com/Published: 3 days ago/Updated: 1 day ago

Germany shooting: chants of 'Nazis out' at vigils after gunman kills nine
theguardian.com/20 Feb 2020
"President denounces ‘brutal act of terror’ and calls for nation to unite as thousands attend gatherings across the country"

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
O’Brien Denies Russian Meddling Reports After Saying He Hasn’t Seen Intel
talkingpointsmemo.com/February 23, 2020
"National security adviser Robert O’Brien denied reports that Russia was interfering in the 2020 presidential election in an effort to help President Trump’s re-election, during Sunday TV news appearances.

When pressed by ABC News’ George Stephanopolous on whether he has seen analysis from the intelligence community showing that Russia aimed to help Trump, O’Brien replied that he has “not seen that” despite getting “pretty good access.”

Pull Yourself Up by Bootstraps? Go Ahead, Try It
nytimes.com/Feb. 19, 2020
"Back in the 1800s, the expression “pull oneself up by the bootstraps” meant the opposite of what it does now. Then it was used mockingly to describe an impossible act."

Oracle Employees Walk Out to Protest Chairman Larry Ellison’s Trump Fundraiser
time.com/February 21, 2020
"The protest, called No Ethics/No Work, involved about 300 employees walking out of their offices or stopping work at remote locations at noon local time and devoting the rest of the day to volunteering or civic engagement, said one of the people, who asked not to be identified for fear of retribution."

Bomb threats made against 18 Jewish communities centers in New York, authorities said
usatoday.com/Feb. 23, 2020

New Jersey Raises Terror Threat Level for White Supremacist Extremists to High
nbcnewyork.com/February 21, 2020

The Unhealed Wounds of a Mass Arrest of Black Students at Ole Miss, Fifty Years Later
newyorker.com/February 23, 2020

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
By any means necessary: Trump’s prepared to cheat again in 2020 — and lie about it shamelessly
rawstory.com/7 hours ago

What Exactly Is Ivanka Trump Doing in India?
vogue.com/February 24, 2020

50 service members diagnosed with TBI following Iran ballistic missile attack
militarytimes.com/January 28

Study finds half of homeless have a traumatic brain injury
komonews.com/February 21st 2020

USC announces free tuition for families making under $80,000 a year
nbcnews.com/Feb. 20, 2020
"The University of Southern California also said homeownership will no longer factor into its calculations to determine a student's financial need."

You’re Likely to Get the Coronavirus
theatlantic.com/10:39 AM ET
"Most cases are not life-threatening, which is also what makes the virus a historic challenge to contain."
[If you're panicky about the subject, read the entire article. It's the best distilled so far. FWIW, tomorrow's information will be be different, 'cause that's the way biology and human information works.]

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I’ve seen inside my head a vision
Never the outcome you’ve been wishin

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Almost every time I start a book or a podcast about someone who's done something society thinks is bonkers, like a public assassination or a serial killing spree, or some other thing society thinks is bonkers--pants crazy...if you look at their history, there's some kind of severe head injury.

Like, I'm listening to a podcast doing a deep dive into Sirhan Sirhan and why he assassinated RFK, and two or three episodes in it's like, "Oh, and also, he wanted to be a jockey, until he got tossed off his horse in a race and suffered a severe head injury. Then he went and flailed at life for a while and a bunch of funky poo poo was excused until OMG he killed a presidential candidate and we don't know why!"

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

quote:

Edwards needed surgery to save his right eye, and he suffered a traumatic brain injury that still causes migraines and memory issues. He was managing, and he started his own appliance repair business in Seattle. But he relied heavily on his wife. When she was arrested last year over questions about her immigration status, he spiraled and stopped working.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Trump, in India, Demands 2 Liberal Justices Recuse Themselves From His Cases
nytimes.com/Feb. 25, 2020
'Besides ignoring the entreaties of Attorney General William P. Barr, the president’s attack on the two justices also risked provoking a reaction from Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. In 2018, Chief Justice Roberts admonished Mr. Trump for calling a Supreme Court justice who ruled against one of his administration’s policies, “an Obama judge.”'

More than a dozen killed, hundreds injured as New Delhi riots overshadow Trump visit
reuters.com/February 25, 2020

Delhi rocked by deadly protests during Donald Trump's India visit
theguardian.com/25 Feb 2020

Mosque set on fire as violent protests continue across New Delhi
aljazeera.com/8 hours ago

Auschwitz Museum again calls out Amazon and Jeff Bezos for selling ‘Nazi propaganda’
jta.org/February 24, 2020

The complicated truth behind Trump’s ‘American comeback'
bbc.com/20 February 2020
'"We can't even live off our wages," says Corin, 46, who works as a hotel receptionist. "That's why we come here."'

["Complicated".]

After penalizing gay teacher, Mansfield ISD awards her $100,000, plans vote to ban sexual orientation discrimination
texastribune.org/Feb. 25, 2020
"Arlington art teacher Stacy Bailey was placed on administrative leave in August 2017 after showing her students a picture of her soon-to-be wife. On Monday, Mansfield ISD awarded Bailey $100,000 after a federal judge ruled her suspension was unconstitutional."

[Not complicated.]

In pictures: Haiti capital's streets blocked as protests spread
bbc.com/25 February 2020
"The blockades came a day after police demanding better working conditions attacked the army headquarters in the city."

After Protests, University of California Agrees To $2,500 Stipend For Grad Students in Santa Cruz
laist.com/February 24, 2020
'“And while we are glad to hear this news, it is not enough,” Iyengar said.

The stipend isn’t part of the union’s contract and not legally enforceable, she said, and it only benefits Santa Cruz students.

Statewide union leaders said they will continue to push UC to negotiate pay increases that aren’t limited to one campus and one year.

“The one-time stipend granted by UC is a gesture of good faith and will placate Santa Cruz strikers,” said union leader Noah Teller, a grad student at UC Riverside, “but does not give a substantive benefit to all members of the union.”'

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Pastor Rick Wiles Says Coronavirus Will Stop If China Accepts Jesus
god.dailydot.com/14 hours ago

Even Republicans Are Worried the Trump Administration Isn’t Ready for a Coronavirus Outbreak
rollingstone.com/February 25, 2020

[Cue internal debate about whether to continue to post actual science or let the masked protests wash over the world.]

Doctors Have a Name for Separating Kids from Their Parents at the Border: It's Torture.
vice.com/Feb 25 2020
"A 39-year-old Honduran mother had her 9-year-old child taken from her when she fled to the U.S. to seek asylum. It was three weeks before she was even able to speak to him, and though they were reunited two months later, she experienced depression and post-traumatic stress. She sometimes wondered whether she’d be better off dead."

The typical US worker can no longer afford a family on a year's salary, showing the dire state of America's middle class
markets.businessinsider.com/Feb. 25, 2020

Dear Debate Moderators, There Are More 'Black Issues' Besides Crime and Poverty
theroot.com/Yesterday 2:30PM
"Because of my poorly funded fixation, I have noticed that the political narrative about race—especially during this election cycle—has focused almost exclusively on four issues:

*Black criminals: Police brutality, the ’94 crime bill, stop and frisk, mass incarceration and the drug war.

*Poor black people: Poor “urban” areas, segregation, redlining.

*Dumb black people: Unequal black schools, test scores, and teaching black kids to read with record players.

*White supremacist violence: Nazi marches, Trumpism and right-wing terrorism.

If one is lucky enough to catch the 91 seconds during each debate when candidates are asked to address racial issues, it is easy to assume that the entirety of black America is either poor, uneducated, unemployed, in jail or running from Nazis wearing MAGA hats. Debate moderators, media outlets and candidates condense the concerns of black voters down to four categories because they really don’t care about “black issues.” They just want to look like they care."

Hong Kong, Hit by Coronavirus and Protests, to Hand Out Billions of Dollars in Cash
wsj.com/Feb. 26, 2020
'As economy reels, an “exceptional measure” is necessary to encourage consumer spending, said Financial Secretary Paul Chan'

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I don't know if my blood-pressure will ever be the same.

Where to even start with how loving wrong and ignorant this is? That he can't even vaguely approximate "Xi Jinping" with English phonology? That he thinks somehow Xi is the one who "turned away from Jesus"? That another culture should be Christianized more than it is already?

That the last time China got its Jesus on there was the Taiping Rebellion that killed millions?!?!?

That this is literally based on a medieval understanding of how disease works?

So. loving. Angry.

GAH.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Crossposting this here because it's exceptionally news worthy and has gotten shockingly little play writ large. Basically the US has done almost no testing for coronavirus cases because the test kits the cdc sent out had a bunk component and thus don't work at all .

LeeMajors posted:

We have zero confirmed cases of Coronavirus in our metro area and all our local emergency rooms were butts-to-nuts with sneezy, wheezy folks from the crack of dawn until I got off shift.

If we throw millions of cases of covid on this we are fuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

We have zero confirmed cases because we've only tested like 400 people nationally

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/02/25/cdc-coronavirus-test/

quote:

Problems with a government-created coronavirus test have limited the United States’ capacity to rapidly increase testing, just as the outbreak has entered a worrisome new phase in countries worldwide. Experts are increasingly concerned that the small number of U.S. cases may be a reflection of limited testing, not of the virus’s spread.

While South Korea has run more than 35,000 coronavirus tests, the United States has tested only 426 people, not including people who returned on evacuation flights. Only about a dozen state and local laboratories can now run tests outside of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta because the CDC kits sent out nationwide earlier this month included a faulty component.

U.S. guidelines recommend testing for a very narrow group of people — those who display respiratory symptoms and have recently traveled to China or had close contact with an infected person.

But many public health experts think that in light of evidence that the disease has taken root and spread in Iran, Italy, Singapore and South Korea, it’s time to broaden testing in the United States. Infectious disease experts fear that aside from the 14 cases picked up by public health surveillance, there may be other undetected cases mixed in with those of colds and flu. What scares experts the most is that the virus is beginning to spread in countries outside China, but no one knows whether that’s the case in the United States, because they aren’t checking.

“Coronavirus testing kits have not been widely distributed to our hospitals and public health labs. Those without these kits must send samples all the way to Atlanta, rather than testing them on site, wasting precious time as the virus spreads,” said Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.).

In a congressional hearing Tuesday, Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.) pressed Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar on whether the CDC test was faulty. He denied that the test did not work.

But in a news briefing that was going on about the same time, Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said that she was “frustrated” about problems with the test kits and that the CDC hoped to send out a new version to state and local health departments soon.

“I think we are close,” she said. She said that the agency is working as fast as possible on the tests, but that the priority is making sure they are accurate.

Currently, she said, a dozen state and local health departments can do the testing, although positive results need to be confirmed by the CDC. She also said she hoped that tests from commercial labs would soon come online.

Messonnier said the agency was weighing widening its testing protocols to include people traveling to the United States from countries beyond mainland China, considering the rapid spread of the virus in other places in recent days.

The nation’s public health laboratories, exasperated by the malfunctioning tests in the face of a global public health emergency, have taken the unusual step of appealing to the Food and Drug Administration for permission to develop and use their own tests. In Hawaii, authorities are so alarmed about the lack of testing ability that they requested permission from the CDC to use tests from Japan. A medical director at a hospital laboratory in Boston is developing an in-house test, but is frustrated that his laboratory won’t be able to use it without going through an onerous and time-consuming review process, even if demand surges.

“This is an extraordinary request, but this is an extraordinary time,” said Scott Becker, the chief executive of the Association of Public Health Laboratories, which is asking the FDA for permission to allow the laboratories to create and implement their own laboratory-developed tests.

At one hospital in the Mid-Atlantic region, a patient who recently returned from Singapore, which has 90 cases, was admitted to the hospital with mild upper respiratory symptoms, according to a hospital official who spoke on the condition of anonymity to protect the patient’s privacy. The patient tested negative for flu. Because of underlying medical conditions, the person was at higher risk for severe illness if this was a coronavirus infection.

Even though clinicians suspected coronavirus, and treated the person for it and placed the patient in isolation, the patient was not tested.

“If this person had returned from mainland China, they would have been tested for coronavirus,” the official said. The patient recovered and was discharged to their home.

Testing also affects other aspects of care.

People with confirmed cases can enroll in clinical trials for therapeutics. For patients who need more intense care in a facility with a biocontainment unit, that facility can receive reimbursement from the federal government for care, the official said.

The CDC announced a week and a half ago that it would add pilot coronavirus testing to its flu surveillance network in five cities, a step toward expanded testing of people with respiratory symptoms who didn’t have other obvious risk factors. Specimens that test negative for flu will be tested for coronavirus. But that expanded testing has been delayed because of an unspecified problem with one of the compounds used in the CDC test. About half of state labs got inconclusive results when using the compound, so the CDC said it would make a new version and redistribute it.

To public health experts, the delays — and lack of transparency about what, exactly, is wrong with the test — are extremely concerning.

“We have over 700 flights every month between Hawaii and Japan or South Korea,” where the virus is spreading in the community, said Hawaii Lt. Gov. Josh Green (D), who is also an emergency physician. It’s unlikely that the CDC would allow state labs to accept a test from another nation, he said, but “this is an exceptional circumstance.”

In a letter to the FDA, the Association of Public Health Laboratories, which represents state and local laboratories, asked the agency to use “enforcement discretion” to allow the laboratories to create and use their own laboratory-developed tests.

“While we appreciate the many efforts underway at CDC to provide a diagnostic assay to our member labs … this has proven challenging and we find ourselves in a situation that requires a quicker local response,” said the letter, which was co-signed by Becker. “We are now many weeks into the response with still no diagnostic or surveillance test available outside of CDC for the vast majority of our member laboratories.”

Because a public health emergency has been declared, certified hospital laboratories that usually have the ability to internally develop and validate their own tests can’t use them without applying for an “emergency use authorization,” a major barrier to deploying the test.

“I think a lot of people, myself included, think it’s very likely this virus might be circulating at low levels in the United States right now. We can’t know for sure because we haven’t seen it,” said Michael Mina, associate medical director of clinical microbiology at Brigham and Women’s Hospital. He said the optimal testing scenario for flu is a 30-minute turnaround on a test, but right now, shipping samples to Atlanta to test for coronavirus means a 48-hour wait.

“A lot of hospitals are trying to do something similar, which is get a test up and running on an instrument, get it validated in-house,” Mina said. “I think all of us are coming to the same realization that we can’t do anything as long as this remains under the control of CDC and state labs.”

Marion Koopmans, a virologist at the Erasmus University Medical Center in the Netherlands, which has performed a few hundred tests on behalf of more than a dozen countries, said that developing a test for a new pathogen is complicated and involves refinement and a back-and-forth between researchers who are constantly learning from one another.

“That is typical for a new disease outbreak. No one actually knows how this works, so you really have to build these assays on the fly,” Koopmans said.

But as the United States struggled to ramp up its capacity, the coronavirus test was added to the sentinel flu surveillance system in the Netherlands two weeks ago. The test was recently rolled out to 12 high-performing molecular diagnostic laboratories in the Netherlands so that they can be ready to scale up if demand increases.

Part of the problem in the still-struggling United States is the tension between regulations intended to ensure a high-quality standard for tests and the need to roll out diagnostic capabilities very quickly. No test is perfect, and with high stakes for missing or misidentifying a case, public health officials want to make sure that tests are as accurate as possible and are validated by labs that run them. But the slowness may also reflect years of underinvestment in public health infrastructure — and a bias toward developing treatments that may seem more appealing to the public.

“The public health system is not sufficiently built to surge very rapidly,” said Luciana Borio, the former director of Medical and Biodefense Preparedness Policy at the National Security Council and now a vice president at In-Q-Tel, a strategic investor that supports the U.S. intelligence community. “Over the years, when given limited dollars, we applied it toward vaccines and therapeutics, more so than diagnostic tests. I think there’s this idea: The diagnostic test is not going to save my life. But the fact is they underpin so much of the response and deserve a lot more attention.”

full text cuz paywall

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
That article is very disingenuous and fear-mongering. Ebola had the same restrictions with regard to testing requirements and availability of testing, in the face of a virus with MUCH higher mortality rate. Zika also had stringent testing requirements, even in the face of endemic cases in Puerto Rico.

There have been issues with test kits sent from the CDC (negative control coming back positive). But CDC testing will eventually become ancillary to commercial testing. Zika ELISA and urine testing from commercial manufacturers was on the market within months. Considering there is already infrastructure for testing SARS and MERS (which are genomically similar to COVID-19), it's just a matter of time.

Here's an article that is less inflammatory and more factual:

https://www.mlo-online.com/disease/infectious-disease/article/21127144/as-cdc-warns-of-us-covid19-spread-labs-frustrated-over-lack-of-tests

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Trump Isn’t Managing the Coronavirus Crisis or Anything Else – He Just Spent an Hour in the White House With Diamond & Silk
thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/on February 27, 2020

Coronavirus makes the case for Medicare-for-all
washingtonpost.com/Feb. 26, 2020
"Osmel Martinez Azcue wanted to do the right thing, for both his own health and the health of the nation. When the Florida resident came down with flu-like symptoms shortly after returning from a trip to China, he immediately went to a local hospital to get tested for coronavirus.

A few weeks later, according to the Miami Herald, Azcue received an invoice for more than $3,000. His insurer claims he’s responsible for $1,400 of the total. He’s expecting even more bills to arrive over the next few weeks.

We’re all fixated on the Trump administration’s day-late-and-billions-of-dollars-short response to the increasing likelihood that coronavirus will cause a public-health crisis in the United States. But the fact remains that even if the government were fully prepared, many Americans will face another barrier to receiving care that will make the crisis worse.

That barrier is their wallet."

Court sides with Trump in ‘sanctuary cities’ grant fight
apnews.com/February 26, 2020
"The Trump administration can withhold millions of dollars in law enforcement grants to force states to cooperate with U.S. immigration enforcement, a federal appeals court in New York ruled Wednesday in a decision that conflicted with three other federal appeals courts."

Off The Record: Trump Administration Criticized For How It Keeps Documents
npr.org/February 24, 2020
"The Trump administration is being criticized for its handling of certain government records.

Historians and activists charge that the White House has failed to keep notes of the president's meetings with foreign leaders, including with Russian President Vladimir Putin, and that other papers, including records of alleged abuses of undocumented immigrants, could be destroyed.

Immigration activists fear that records relating to the treatment of undocumented immigrants — including detainee deaths, complaints about medical conditions, and alleged sexual assault and abuse of detainees — could be destroyed by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)."

Democrats Chasing the White Moderate Vote With White Moderate Candidates Ignore People of Color
teenvogue.com/February 26, 2020

Alabama blocked a man from voting because he owed $4
theguardian.com/27 Feb 2020
"Alfonzo Tucker Jr is just one of millions of Americans who have been entangled in a racially biased system – and deprived of their democratic right"

Marine commandant banishes Confederate symbols from all Corps installations
taskandpurpose.com/Feb 27, 2020

Women in Mexico Are Urged to Disappear for a Day in Protest
nytimes.com/Feb. 26, 2020
"Fed up with escalating gender-based attacks and murders, activists called for a daylong national strike by women to demand greater support for their rights."

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Trump administration to cut funds from health programs to pay for coronavirus response
thehill.com/02/26/20

Lawmaker Threatens To Beat Up Trump Jr. For Claiming Dems Want Millions Of Coronavirus Deaths
thegailygrind.com/02/28/2020
'Democratic Rep. John Garamendi of California on Friday threatened a “serious altercation” with Donald Trump Jr. after the president’s eldest son falsely claimed that Democrats “seemingly hope” that the coronavirus comes to the U.S. “and kills millions of people so that they can end Donald Trump’s streak of winning.”

“He should not be near me when he says that,” Garamendi warned during an interview with MSNBC’s Hallie Jackson.

“Why not?” Jackson asked the congressman.

“There would be a serious altercation,” Garamendi replied. “That is just totally outrageous. I can assure you that there’s not a Democrat or Republican in Congress that wants anybody to be sick.”

“Don Jr. better not get close to me,” he added. “It would not be a healthy situation.”'

The Trump administration barred a top US disease expert from speaking freely to the public after he warned the coronavirus might be impossible to contain
yahoo.com/February 28, 2020
"President Donald Trump's administration has barred one of the top US experts on infectious diseases from speaking out about the coronavirus outbreak without permission from the White House, The New York Times reported Thursday, in an apparent bid to stop contradictory messages about the public-health crisis."

White House's Mulvaney: Coronavirus coverage 'all about' hurting Trump
msnbc.com/Feb. 28, 2020
'Rush Limbaugh this week told his audience that "this coronavirus thing" is being "weaponized as yet another element to bring down Donald Trump." He added, "I'm dead right on this. The coronavirus is the common cold, folks." A day later, the host kept this going, insisting that journalists want the virus outbreak to be deadly "so they could blame Trump for it."'

Preparing for Coronavirus to Strike the U.S.
scientificamerican.com/February 27, 2020
"Getting ready for the possibility of major disruptions is not only smart; it’s also our civic duty"
"As the new human coronavirus spreads around the world, individuals and families should prepare—but are we? The Centers for Disease Control has already said that it expects community transmission in the United States, and asked families to be ready for the possibility of a “significant disruption to our lives.”

Be ready? But how? It seems to me that some people may be holding back from preparing because of their understandable dislike of associating such preparation with doomsday or “prepper” subcultures. Another possibility is that people may have learned that for many people the disease is mild, which is certainly true, so they don’t think it’s a big risk to them. Also, many doomsday scenarios advise extensive preparation for increasingly outlandish scenarios, and this may seem daunting and pointless (and it is). Others may not feel like contributing to a panic or appearing to be selfish.

Forget all that. Preparing for the almost inevitable global spread of this virus, now dubbed COVID-19, is one of the most pro-social, altruistic things you can do in response to potential disruptions of this kind."

Education Dept. to Cut Off Federal Funding for Some Rural Schools
nytimes.com/Feb. 28, 2020
"A bookkeeping change at the department will cut thousands of dollars in aid to some of the poorest, most isolated schools in the country."

For the first time, there are fewer registered Republicans than independents
washingtonpost.com/Feb. 28, 2020
"For the first time in history, there are more registered independents in the United States than there are registered Republicans."

CEO Of Wall Street Bank That Took $25 Billion Bailout Warns Of Socialism For Everyone Else
labor411.org/January 23, 2020

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/smilies/9/e/justpost.001.gif

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:getin:

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/a-corrupt-response-and-cover-up-trump-admin-appears-to-have-sparked-coronavirus-outbreak/

The complaints being made by that whistleblower-expert:

(1) U.S. workers were sent to the epicenter of the Coronavirus outbreak without proper training or protective gear; (2) those same employees were not tested for the Coronavirus; (3) many of those employees returned home on a commercial flight; (4) after raising concerns about the wisdom of 1-3, she was allegedly reassigned and faced termination for speaking up through the chain-of-command.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1233149899446857729?s=21
https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1233149901569130496?s=21

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Mulvaney Dismisses Coronavirus Crisis As A Media Hoax
nationalmemo.com/February 28, 2020

America is about to get a godawful lesson in why health care should never be a for-profit business
dailykos.com/February 27, 2020

Millions of uninsured Americans like me are a coronavirus timebomb
theguardian.com/28 Feb 2020

Republicans storm out of coronavirus briefing after Democrat rips Trump's response
politico.com/02/28/2020

Americans avoiding Corona beer amid coronavirus outbreak: survey
ktsm.com/Feb 28, 2020
"38% of beer drinkers said they would not under any circumstances buy Corona as the deadly virus continues to spread, according to a survey conducted by 5W Public Relations."

Federal appeals court blocks President Trump’s ‘Remain in Mexico’ policy but stays its own ruling
washingtonpost.com/Feb. 28, 2020

Hilton Hotel To Host Neo-Confederate Group Conference On Last Day Of Black History Month
huffpost.com/02/28/2020

Comedians mock ‘Confederate sympathizer' Steve King with tiny statue
'They’re calling it a tiny statue for a tiny man. Given Iowa congressman Steve King’s pitiful history of racist and xenophobic comments, it may not be small enough.

The statue, placed in front of the Iowa statehouse in Des Moines, is the work of the comedy duo Davram Stiefler and Jason Selvig, known as The Good Liars.

“This site is dedicated to Confederate sympathizer and White Nationalist, Steve King,” reads the plaque underneath the statue, which is indeed especially small. “Here, King is honored with the world’s smallest Confederate statue.”'

Protesters against Sons of Confederate Veterans conference turn against police
newsobserver.com/February 29, 2020
"What started out as a protest against a Sons of Confederate Veterans annual conference at the Embassy Suites near Brier Creek turned into a protest against police Saturday afternoon."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Otteration posted:

Comedians mock ‘Confederate sympathizer' Steve King with tiny statue
'They’re calling it a tiny statue for a tiny man. Given Iowa congressman Steve King’s pitiful history of racist and xenophobic comments, it may not be small enough.

The statue, placed in front of the Iowa statehouse in Des Moines, is the work of the comedy duo Davram Stiefler and Jason Selvig, known as The Good Liars.

“This site is dedicated to Confederate sympathizer and White Nationalist, Steve King,” reads the plaque underneath the statue, which is indeed especially small. “Here, King is honored with the world’s smallest Confederate statue.”'

Is it my imagination, or is he wearing a chastity belt? Or a jock strap over his pants?