Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

"People have forgotten someone might have done crimes, because it's taken the investigators a long time to pin down the extent to which crimes were committed... IS THE JIG UP?"

This dude wrote an entire article on the statute of limitations on crimes in the court of public opinion, which... who the gently caress cares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Charlz Guybon posted:

After the networks blew the call on Florida in 2000 they pulled back and waited longer for several cylces, but with the passage of time the buissness pressure to be first to call has overcame that caution.

I do not understand the concept of being "first to call" and why that should matter to news organizations. It definitely seems to run counter to basic journalistic practices to just guess who's going to win based on publicly available information, instead of just waiting.

Like... if they really wanted to make this a spectacle, they could treat close races and absentee ballots like OT. Announces who is ahead and by how many votes once the precincts are 100% reported, then if it's close, they send that race into their OT coverage where they just talk about the process of counting absentee ballots, set up a horse-race graphic that shows the gap needing to be closed, and take the time to educate the public on poo poo like recount laws in that district/state.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

For what? They want to interrogate him and force him to recuse himself from the Russia stuff. If he is no longer acting AG by then, what would be the point of a subpoena?

It's important for America to know some poo poo about whitaker, and off the top of my head:

"How did your name come to be on a list of people who were eligible to be acting attorney general?"
"Were you aware you didn't meet the qualifications for this role under the vacancies act?"
"Why did you immediately assume control over the Mueller probe when you have a very public history of being critical of it?"
"What actions did you take while in control of the OSC?"

I'd also call Rod Rosenstein to ask him how the process of him being removed from OSC oversight went.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

Most people just want to know who won and if they hear ABC is calling races while CBS isn't yet, they'll switch over to ABC to find out who won faster, giving ABC higher ratings and therefore more money.

right, but then you get Election OT coverage for days and days. No one is doing that, so someone do it and nobody will watch anything else.

Just get Jerry "the King" Lawler as the color commentator.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

It will never be considered by the Senate.

My guess is Mitch McConnell never even acknowledges the house passed a single piece of legislation outside of bills to fund the government, because it would hurt Republicans to appear to be the reason for a shutdown.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

If you read the story, it says that outright. The point is to be on the record saying "Look, we're trying to reform voting and expand your rights, but the Republicans won't even give it an up or down vote."

That literally did help the Republicans in 2016 with their base, so who knows? Maybe it gets people motivated for 2020.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

holy loving hell, this country is unsalvageable.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
edit: wrong thread

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Since when would a the OSC inform someone ahead of time that they're being indicted?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
The OSC doesn't leak so... I'm thinking that's just more bullshit.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
edit: wrong thread

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 13, 2018

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

federal judges can do a whole lot of poo poo, in theory - this position that Maryland is taking, that a previous, more specific succession regulation controls here and the position would've automatically defaulted to Rosenstein, feels like the weaker argument compared to the constitutional one we've talked about.

English v. Trump, the litigation over the CFPB head, works against this claim. It's still being appealed to the DC circuit so there's not binding precedent, but there the administration won at the district level by basically saying "If there's both a normal regulation that governs succession and also the VRA, we can choose which one we want to apply" - which would be almost the exact same position they'd take here.

But VRA doesn't apply to Whitaker, as he's not been approved by the Senate, and contrary to what the White House is suggesting, his approval to be AG to the district of Iowa was 12 loving years ago and he's been out of government working for fraudsters during that time.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Hellblazer187 posted:

Isn't the whole "pay for NATO" thing a complaint that they don't have enough of a military? My understanding is that as a member nation, you have a commitment to spend x% of your GDP on your armed forces. And this is what most members were failing at. So this is... Exactly what Trump was asking for.

That is also my read on this, Trump is such a loving baby.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Spiffster posted:

Hell if Florida actually flips and Miss. runoff goes blue as well I will donate 50 bucks to The D&D mods charity of choice.

30 bucks if only one goes blue.

Hell I haven’t done this in years but why not :toxx:

I actually really want to pay this one for trumps mad tweets alone, :pray:

I'll join this :toxx:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Seems like an exceptional amount of close races that ultimately tip dem this year, or is it not out of the ordinary?

A lot of these races weren't even close, they just looked close after precincts reported #'s on election night.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

mistaya posted:

Speaking of monsters:

Remember that guy that fired his shotgun at a black teen who was asking for directions? He is going to jail!

Get hosed. These turds only show remorse when they're finally called out/punished for their behavior.

Like those assholes in GA who were driving around black neighborhoods with giant confederate flags and threatened a birthyday party with a shotgun.

Eat poo poo, "This is not me, this is not who I am". Nah, son, it's EXACTLY who you are, and maybe (JUST MAYBE) you should look into yourself and figure out how you and your entire shiteating white-supremacist rear end in a top hat cadre became radicalized against the color of a persons skin, you simpering flesh golem of animus, ignorance, and goddamn disgrace.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Skippy McPants posted:

Wow, that is vile. Workplace culture is such that anyone who doesn't take a gun is going to feel derided, and framing it as "team building" only makes that worse.

"Why do you have to be such a downer, Carol. Just take the murder-toy and come pop off a few rounds with the rest of us!"

I would 100% never go back to the office if I knew everyone who worked there owned a loving firearm.

American workplaces are rear end and the people in that rear end are toxic shitheads.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

it's almost 2019, and I still scroll right by his loving tweets.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
edit: removed

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 15, 2018

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Knight posted:

Don't be shitposting in this thread, mister.

The Threat to Nancy Pelosi’s Speakership Is Suddenly Serious by Jim Newell for Slate Magazine.

I thought we were allowed to discuss news? I was just posting about how loving disappointingly dark America has become.

Someone stands up and shouts something in a theater and people start literally running, assuming that person is there to murder a bunch of people.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mezzanine posted:

I no longer believe the theory that screaming about WITCH HUNT means that indictments, etc are imminent. The timing has never really lined up, I feel like it's unlikely he'd be told of it at 7AM, and let's be honest; his sole influence now is Fox News. He sees or hears "MUELLER" on the TV box, he tweets. It's just a matter of the angrier he is, the more he tweets.

The acting attorney general has undoubtedly been given a briefing on the Mueller probe by Rod and Mueller by now, and he's taken that information to the president, because he's a loving hatchet man.

He knows poo poo's about to go down, if it is, so guessing his foul mood is related to that isn't far fetched at all.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

A lot of reporters were saying this is not true, and if it was reporters would have noted it in their stories because most of them know Lindsay Walters.

Someone called it out as fake in the replies and he responded with "oh well, the can do it, so can I"

it's not true.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

lol trump has grown tired of pence's slavish dog act

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1063485858546880512

lol, "has pence been the mole this entire time?" ponders Maggie Haberman of the NYT.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

Coupled with the piece about how he's growing to disdain Hannity, we really are seeing him turn on basically everyone now lol

Maybe now he sees they're full of poo poo, since the blue wave came and it crashed all of his hopes and dreams.

Trump doesn't actuall give a gently caress about McConnell judge project.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

"It's one dead guy, it never goes farther than that with authoritarians if we just appease them."

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Tree Bucket posted:

Comments on AOC tweets are always so... bewildering. And infuriating. It's always a bunch of Danes and Swedes and us Australians sharing stories about kids getting free cancer treatment, followed by a parade of old people insisting that medical care is in fact morally wrong and totally impossible anyway. It must be absolutely exhausting to be a sane American.

Brother... you ain’t lyin’

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

When gas prices go back up, we can call it a tax increase.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1066670371028561920

Cry me a loving river.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 25, 2018

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

They're closing the one in my town......all these chuds that voted for Trump because they thought every business would magically do well once he was President are probably *regretting that now.

*and by regretting it I mean finding some way to blame Democrats for it.

Everything was going fine... AND THEN THE BLUE WAVE HAPPENED

edit: to contribute, mums the word from the administration on Ukraine:

https://twitter.com/emilyctamkin/status/1067091969934004225

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 26, 2018

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Forgive me for the simplistic question, but how attributable is this to the tariffs?

They cite 1b in costs incurred from tariffs, so... immensely.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Is there any chance that this Facebook bullshit ends in a world where Facebook doesn't exist anymore? I don't even care if Zuckerberg ends up penniless in a ditch somewhere--I would just like Facebook to end up like MySpace.

Their business model seems to depend on selling peoples private information to ad buyers and the don't seem to care why or where, so it's quite possible, yes.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

which report, the "manafort met assange" one?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Tibalt posted:

I know it's your gimmick, but Donald Trump is president. The idea that the highest office is limited to governors, generals, and Senators is pretty thoroughly shot at this point.

Former house members is fine.

making GBS threads on Beto for losing in Texas is pretty stupid in general.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1072267567975288832

Butina is gonna cooperate

Witness Protection had better be all over that poo poo

a week or so old, but Totally Unrelated

https://twitter.com/Anthony/status/1068477767052926976

totally, probably... unrelated...

https://twitter.com/johnson_carrie/status/1068479049843003397

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Dec 11, 2018

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

bird food bathtub posted:

How is it nothing matters-ing to acknowledge that the right wing media propaganda machine will cover for every one of Trump's fuckups and never stop? That list of the incompetent grifters posted above doesn't matter at all. Their competence isn't what is keeping Trump in office. Right wing propaganda is and Fox isn't going anywhere.

This is the News thread; so post news, talk about specific news stories, or gently caress off back to USPOL.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Republicans are the party of MRA identarians, "equality of opportunity" mantras even in the absence of evidence that such equality exists, and focused attacks on women's healthcare...

Yeah, they need to come to grips with something, and I think it's that "other people exist and you aren't special".

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

PAAAAAAAAAAAARTAAAAAAAY

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Sentencing postponed...

The lawyers likely decided that the Judge was gonna give him prison time. There must be something in those loving redacted memos.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Grouchio posted:

Did anything result from yesterday's hearings? Is this gonna take some time to accumualte?

I mean, the House is going to impeach him.

Bill Taylor's testimony alone assured that, and we've got 2 more days of scheduled public testimony, and 2 more witnesses called from yesterdays testimony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Extremely effective testimony that put all the relevant crimes into a single, easy to digest narrative. Then, a GOP question and answer session so shamelessly dishonest and stupifyingly inept that I've lost the ability to control my bowels and I see Jim Jordan when I close my eyes.

Besides Hunter Biden, Republicans flailed through a number of largely unrelated topics in a way that gonna be hard to turn into anything particularly compelling. It's the kind of stuff where true believers nod along as always, while the low info voters they might have been able to reach just kinda scratch their heads and shrug.

Any actual consequences aren't going to manifest immediately because this was just a hearing.

My favorite part of the republican questioning was Jim Jordon screaming at Bill Taylor what anything he said had to do with the call summary...

And then he and every other republican spending at least half of their time smearing the *checks notes* Obama administration.

FoolyCharged posted:

It was kind of fun watching the ambassador try to phrase everything in a way that wouldn't get him fired/thrown in jail. Dude was not a happy camper.

He was cool as a cucumber, are you serious? He doesn't give a poo poo about keeping his job if this is what it's going to entail. He was recalled from retirement to serve as a temporary ambassador because he was the last ambassador to Ukraine appointed by a republican. He said he would quit as a precondition to taking the position if anything stupid happened (because he was aware of how Yavanavich was railroaded out).

On what planet would he be going to jail for answering questions of a congressional committee?

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 14, 2019