Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Ytlaya posted:

To be fair, Russiagate is perceived in an extremely partisan manner, so you'd expect the vast majority of Republicans to not care about it to begin with (which would automatically make it rank lower than most things that people from both parties might care about, like healthcare, the economy, etc).

And the other half knows it happened and it's pretty clear we're not ACTUALLY going to do anything about it, so maybe focus on something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

What...? Did they actually count those ballots?

Yep. They sure did.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

How many of the 45 000 votes from that county were emailed?

They've admitted to 147, not enough to actually swing anything.

But if they accepted them and other counties didn't, this is the only ACTUAL voter fraud we've seen this entire election.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They take the action first then rationalize it afterward. Eventually the action has to be justified by the legal team, who tell them "no, we can't say x, say y instead."

Trump doesn't care he just does. Then everyone else has to clean up after him.

This is literally how they started his term almost 2 years ago. Banning immigrants cuz they're brown, saying it's "cuz terrorism" after the fact, and getting laughed out of court because that's not how this works.

They have learned nothing.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

mistaya posted:

Um, since when does the First Lady get to randomly fire people in the White House staff...? The only reason I can think of for this happening is stupid reality TV show poo poo that I don't even want to say out loud.

This is literally a beef about plane seating arrangements and possible negative leaks to the media.

Real Housewives WISHES they could get this plotline.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

EwokEntourage posted:

Writing absurdly lopsided contract clauses and then watching them actually get adopted is super fun as an attorney

It's less fun as an accountant who has to deal with the billing ramifications of insane salespeople.

The fact that they signed it instead of telling Amazon to gently caress right off should be surprising, but is not.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

luxury handset posted:

since trump doesn't seem to know how voting works in the us, can we read this as confirmation that trump doesn't vote?

He made a whole dog and pony shoe out of it 2 years ago, but reportedly this year he very quietly absentee balloted a few weeks ago:

https://www.newsweek.com/did-donald-trump-vote-2018-midterm-elections-1204768

There is a pretty good chance his wife/daughter/chief of staff filled it out for him. Or he spilled diet coke on it and threw it out.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

luxury handset posted:

the VA's payment processing has been hosed up for a decade if not more, it's all old as hell and needs to be replaced but it is more or less unfixable by our current bureaucracy

Here, have a 5 year old special report about it:

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/pentagon/#article/part1

I can't find it offhand, but in one of the followups about this there was a bit about how some information had to be printed out, walked across the building, and re-entered by hand.

Because it's sensitive payroll information, only people above a certain rank and with security clearance could carry it.

We've been paying some very capable people a lot of money to walk back and forth between two offices in the Pentagon.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Navy itself is dropping almost 10 mil a year on it.

Which isn't really that bad compared to their total budget.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

xrunner posted:

You joke, but it got me curious and apparently the last civil war widow died in 2004!

There's still one daughter collecting benefits:

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-08-08/civil-war-vets-pension-still-remains-on-governments-payroll-151-years-after-last-shot-fired

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

eke out posted:

you hear people talk about why it's so hard for trump to get actual good lawyers to work for him, and one theory is that it's because they know they're going to have to destroy the relationships they've built in the way Kevin Downing certainly has. they're also making some very noteworthy judges hate them, too

the legal community really isn't that big in rich white collar federal criminal law circles.

People are also floating potential obstruction of justice charges, or that these conversations aren't covered under Attorney-Client Privilege as neither one of them is a client.

So it could be WAY worse than just ruining professional relationships. Even if nobody gets disbarred or whatever, they'll be known to other rich white people as "That lawyer who screwed up so bad they lost their client's plea deal, and gave the feds even MORE evidence."

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Did he really storm off to ragetweet?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Thaddius the Large posted:

A little cutesy for my taste, but I’m all for political organizations pouring their efforts into trolling their opponents, it’s way more interesting than another generic attack ad.

I'm much more likely to put up with a dumb stunt if I get food out of it.

That it's ice cream makes it even better.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1068369031999221765?s=19

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

withak posted:

Imagine being Donald Trump's lawyer and seeing this first thing in the morning after logging in.

There are not nearly enough random capitalizations and no spelling errors, he doesn't repeat himself, he didn't call anyone out by name, and he doesn't have a random thought after he declares witch hunt.

There's no way he wrote that.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Paul Ryan only understands the premise behind gerrymandering when the GOP gets a supermajority with only 51% of the vote. It's baffling when it happens against his team.

The Demomrats copied their supermove! How could this be?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

predicto posted:

yep. Gerrymandering in California in 2018, lol.

The GOP took it in the rear end in this election because the congressional districts are drawn by an independent commission so they no longer could rely on gerrymandering.

Sorry, wasn't saying CA was gerrymandered for the Dems... but he loving knows how this works. It's how WI elected him in the first place. When you ungerrymander a place that voted 61% for a Dem governor, yeah, GOP is gonna get screwed.

It's just yet another case of "It's just and lawful and God's Will when my team wins, it's unjust and unlawful and the work of SATAN when your wins." that they screech about every single time.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

Imagine him talking to Jeb and W?

I'm just imagining W giving him finger guns and thanking Trump for making him look better.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

You can have positive feelings about people without idealizing anyone. Like yeah don't idealize people, but feel free to feel whatever positive poo poo you happen to feel for people. Politicians who make you feel human feelings because they actually shared a similar experience to you are 100% worth feeling good about

Part of her strength is being so relatable, and while that has issues with how she's characterized, listening to her bitch on twitter about how much open enrollment sucks makes her so much more relatable than anybody else, so there's bound to be a little bit of that going on.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Also lol at making new coal plants in this day and age. Coal is a great way to bankrupt a power company because it's not economical to use as power with natural gas being dirt cheap. Literally that relaxation of the rules is just red meat that won't even make new plants.

Buying coal plants ain't bad right now.

Mostly because big multinationals will sell them for a song and a dime right now.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

Really, "coal jobs" is about the basic question of how much the government can take from citizens in the name of the greater good, and who gets to define what that means, except people don't discuss it in those terms.

This rings particularly true, as somebody in the energy industry. Coal just isn't really discussed very often, and when it is, it's usually about how the regulation changes are moving their decommission date forward or backwards.

There's not a lot of politics or climate change ideology behind those conversations, it's just dollars. There are plenty of Trump voters around here, but nobody is defending coal as a serious long term solution.

At the end of the day, coal is heavy, and buried underground, and miners hurt themselves and get cancer. All of those are incredibly expensive to deal with. The regulations may have hastened the death of the coal industry, but the second somebody got a solar panel powering an entire house they were on borrowed time.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's less that they did it and more that they got caught doing it through a shady subcompany and then lied about it.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Ceiling fan posted:

Are you kidding? Look at all the god drat crimes they have to work on. That has to be the hardest job in the government right now.

Investigating Obama, that was easy. You could take long lunches at the Tortilla Coast, just do whatever. Hell, Issa and all that crew had to keep writing up fan fiction just to look busy.

This is hard, but less in a "Super detailed forensic accounting" way, and more in a "You have to do data entry all ALL THIS EVIDENCE and figure out which of the 187 potential charges it could apply to" way.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

The entire Flynn thing is bonkers. Judge is really trying to get Flynn to put it off until after the dust is settled, but for some reason he seems determined to go full steam ahead?

Thread: https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1075061464325611520

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1075066281378877441

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1075070735633268741

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1075074308089831426

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

Sentencing postponed...

The lawyers likely decided that the Judge was gonna give him prison time. There must be something in those loving redacted memos.

The judge tried repeatedly to get Flynn to ask for it to be delayed until after he's done cooperating, then went hard on the treason rhetoric, then lunch!

Sentencing witnesses while they're still cooperating is pretty outside the norm, makes sense this guy didn't want to do something that could have a challenge later.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

eke out posted:

truman wasn't allowed to seize steel plants during an Actual War but i'm sure trump will be totally allowed to initiate a massive program of emergency eminent domain costing untold billions without any trouble

Fun reminder, declaring martial law and seizing private citizen's land is literally the imaginary scenario that lead to Texas deploying it's national guard (with a bunch of milita guys "helping") to watch over a joint training exercise named Operation Jade Helm.

This has been your special "Oh Wait He Did" episode of "Can you imagine if Obama did that?"

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Hold on to your butts, everyone. 2019 is in fine form already.

quote:

The photo, as well as the feet, actually belong to Sydney Leathers, a political activist and cam model who you might recall from Anthony Weiner’s sexting investigation in 2016.

This is clearly a coverup because BUT HER EMAILS.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

fool_of_sound posted:

once we're into february food stamps and section 8 will stop paying out, and we'll be coming up on six weeks without pay. there will be riots at that point, and probably a tremendous market crash. a bunch of companies rely on safety net spending. i don't know how this all ends, but if it really goes on that long it's going to be awful.

Walmart is going to get hit HARD when SNAP gives out.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/UtilityDive/status/1084846047007043584

Turns out, cutting costs until you burn down several forests and an entire city and killing several dozen folks is not a great long term business model.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

evilweasel posted:

though you don't usually announce "guys in a week or two we're filing for bankruptcy" because then nobody will give you poo poo unless you pay cash up front (this helped kill Toys R Us - it leaked that they were prepping for a bankruptcy filing, so everyone stopped doing business with them unless they paid cash up front, so things went south real loving fast and wound up with the company liquidated instead of reorganized), so this announcement may be the final attempt at a liability waiver

Yeah, Cali is special like that:

"Under California law, companies must give employees at least 15 days notice of a bankruptcy filing"

Their safety record has been a problem for a long time, but this seems to be the final straw.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

highme posted:

Even though I know it's not us (I work for a utility with the same initials minus the ampersand), I still did a double take on that headline.

Personally, I hope they get sold and renamed, but mostly so I will never confuse PG&E, PGE and PSE&G ever again.

Also, I wouldn't be heartbroken if either ConEd or ComEd screwed up and got sold and renamed.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

I'm just surprised they managed to get somebody to say the right stuff during his confirmation hearing, lies or not.

Given the general level of competence of Trump appointees, "not a total idiot" is head and shoulders above most of the pack.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

I don't see the GOP winning another presidential election essentially ever, frankly.

I wish I was still capable of your optimism.

People are stupid, and Democrats are babykillers who hate freedom.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

He probably can't actually do this with federal funds, but if there's one thing that Newsom is good at, it's getting out over his skis in ways that appeal to his base. In 2004, when he was mayor of SF, he ordered the county clerk (SF is a coterminous city-county) to issue marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples, in violation of the then-current state law. The Supreme Court of California ended up annulling those marriages for being illegal, but it cost Newsom nothing and won him a lot of support in the gay community.

This one is super great from an accounting standpoint, too.

So a if a federal worker, working unpaid, gets a grand in unemployment, that has to be repaid to the unemployment office when they get backpaid after the shutdown ends.

The correct way to handle this is to withhold a grand from that paycheck, and send that to to the unemployment fund. It will have 0 net effect on the budget aside from some lost interest. It's a giant paperwork mess because they're not going to do it correctly, but in a sane and just world this would be fine.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

predicto posted:

It's a little more complicated than that.

When Newsom got in front of the issue and started issuing marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples, he asserted that the California law barring them was unenforceable under the California Constitution. The California Supreme Court found that Newsom technically had overstepped his authority as a mayor to make that call, because the issue had to be decided by a court challenge in a properly brought case by a plaintiff affected by the law. Soon after, that case got to the Court and the Court declared that the state law barring gay marriage violated the California Constitution and was thus unenforceable. So Newsom was right all along.

So the chuds put Proposition 8, a gay marriage ban, on the ballot and it passed (thanks to a low turnout and and huge influx of money by the Mormon church). This put the gay marriage ban directly into the California Constitution, and the California Supreme Court had to reverse its prior decision. But all the prior gay marriages remained valid.

Then the gay marriage ban got struck down by the federal courts applying federal law, and the federal Defense of Marriage Act got struck down and many other states were coming aboard the gay marriage bandwagon.

I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that Newsom deserves credit for being maybe the single biggest catalyst in the chain of events that ultimately led to the legalization of gay marriage across the country.

This actually brings up an interesting cross section with Newsom's unemployment plan and the indentured servitude case making it's way through the courts.

It's unlikely it will work, but denying unemployment to people not being paid closes off an avenue of "It's not indentured servitude".

friendly 2 da void posted:

My feeling: every day it seems more and more like it will take actual riots in the streets to force the Democrats' hands. Trump will never cave because he would gladly watch the country burn, he wouldn't care even if the pitchforks were at the White House gates. Either the Democrats give in or its martial law. Is this just crazy talk?

You're missing the lynchpin actually responsible for the shutdown at the moment: Mitch "Fuckface McTurtlebitch" McConnell is preventing any budget from being voted on. There is a passed bill with the Democrats that includes a billion and change for the wall out there. He could rally his team, pass a budget, wait Trump out 2 weeks to force it through, claim victory over the Dems and Trump as the adult in the room.

But Bitch McSquirtle isn't willing to go up against Trump and his rabid base, so here we are. Something will have to give to where there's a political benefit that outweighs Trump's threats. I'm not sure if that's Trump's falling poll numbers, angry red voters back home losing SNAP benefits or what, but neither the Dems or Trump have any reason to give in right now.

//fake edit

I have not included several other fun Chinless Mitch nicknames for brevity.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

Sounds like the lead-in for a SVU episode.

But one that almost immediately switches to legal maneuvering because the investigation concludes before the title screen and they spend 1.5 minutes at the morgue discovering other injuries and then it's 18 minutes of lawyering before he gets off with a wrist slap.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

VanSandman posted:

That's what gets me about when people say bad cops are 'a few bad apples.' As a culture we've completely forgotten the rest of the phrase which is 'ruins the whole barrel.' The protection of abusive cops by non-abusive ones makes the abusive ones complicit in their crimes.

It's extra frustrating because it's not individuals, good or bad, that are the root cause of the problem. It's systemic.

They're taught, as a mandatory part of their job, to trust their fellow officers with their lives. When push comes to shove and poo poo is going south, you trust your brothers in blue.

They're also trained that civilians might be lying, or might be telling what they think is the truth but they're mistaken. So, do NOT implicitly trust what civilians tell you.

ACAB on purpose.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

These would both seem to be something that would present in any society that has police, yet many countries do not have the problems that the US has.

Most countries don't have methheads with assault rifles either.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

Who, then, do you trust to decide which jokes are funny and which jokes are criminal? Without robust protection for free speech, what would have prevented a Republican congress and the Trump DoJ from deciding that "gently caress the police" is hate speech and BLM is a prohibited movement?

When millions of police, who were born police, and have no choice but to be police because their parents were police and their parents before them were police have been rounded up and put in gently caress chambers and buried in unmarked graves we can revisit that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Spun Dog posted:

To quote some rear end in a top hat:
"Check out rap sheet and past!"

I'm a little hurt he apparently can't even get a chuckle out of the phrase "gently caress chamber". This may not be the right forum for him.

For my penance, it's not politics, but have an OSHA thread crosspost: San Francisco utility workers digging a fiber line managed to light up a PG&E gas line, leave it turned on for a couple of hours, burn down a restaurant, displace 100 or so people and leave 3k without power. Even when it's not their fault, PG&E cannot catch a break.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Explosion-in-San-Francisco-causes-fire-injuries-13595313.php