Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
That "AOC as scheming Jewish caricature" photo is really getting a lot of play:

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1074984891165655040

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That "AOC as scheming Jewish caricature" photo is really getting a lot of play:

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1074984891165655040

Didn't some story come out recently where she's got a Warren-esque amount of Jewish ancestry (ok, like 1/8th)? I see they're leaning hard into that one.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

HootTheOwl posted:

Didn't some story come out recently where she's got a Warren-esque amount of Jewish ancestry (ok, like 1/8th)? I see they're leaning hard into that one.

She brought up that she had converso ancestors during a Hanukkah celebration. The AP, and a bunch of news outlets working from it, decided that this is the photo of her from that event that should do the rounds. They thought better of it after a bit of backlash, but I guess Politico never got the memo.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

Wait, really? I always assumed they were more grifters than ideologues.

They have a canon. There are Charles Koch parables in the Koch newsletters. And he's got it backwards, Charles is the for sure true believer. The Cato institute was orginally the Charles Koch institute. And oh yeah they were Birchers at on point. It's old and locked but I did a thread onb the Kochs and libertarianism years ago. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598750

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Goingfrom some Koch biography I heard about on public radio.

1)Their father literally made them sword fight for him for entertainment for Rules of Nature liberterian surival of the fittest bullshit!?!
2)the bros we know of today aren't the eldest sons, two of them ousted the eldest probably closeted one.

Also apparently Sleepy Ben exists and he's doing some surprise visit to NYC soon for public housing reasons.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The power of doublethink is such that true believers become grifters, and grifters become true believers. But, yeah, the Kochs are both a) dyed in the wool genuine libertarians (though specifically the form of libertarianism that really benefits old rich white dudes) and b) happy to fake other ideologies to subvert existing movements and entities. There is some degree of variance of ideology promoted by Koch fronts. It's not as if they personally approve everything and its a big spider's web. The overarching trend is deregulation and free market libertarian capitalism, though.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

PhazonLink posted:

1)Their father literally made them sword fight for him for entertainment for Rules of Nature liberterian surival of the fittest bullshit!?!
2)the bros we know of today aren't the eldest sons, two of them ousted the eldest probably closeted one.

Those two sentences in that order made my blood freeze for a sec.

For content it looks like Cheenito caved: Per Wapo

VVVV Honestly it's just as likely he realized he'd be personally inconvenienced.

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 18, 2018

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

The Trump administration wants to avoid a partial government shutdown and has found other ways to get the border wall money it wants, spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said Tuesday.

Sanders’s comments come four days before large portions of the federal government will begin shutting down unless Congress and Trump reach a budget deal. The two sides had been deadlocked over Trump’s demand for $5 billion to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.87517bc5a5c0

White House is backing down, they appear to realize that everyone saw their seven high hand and weren't gonna be bluffed

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Oh my god could you even begin to imagine how bad Trump would be at playing poker?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xand_Man posted:

VVVV Honestly it's just as likely he realized he'd be personally inconvenienced.

his plan was literally to just hang out at mar-a-lago and ignore presidenting for the whole time, which was probably why he was into the shutdown idea. he wasn't gonna do any work.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
https://mobile.twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/1075057393971662849

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Place your bets, will the defense be:
"But they stopped comitting crimes! Why is the NY so mean to keep persecuiting them?
"Libs got a charity shut down"
or nothing, because, lol which conservative is going to bring this up?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/gelles/status/1075054386345328640

highly encourage no one to believe too strongly that this will actually happen - odds are they did something seriously wrong procedurally and it'll be enjoined rapidly, since like nearly every rulemaking so far has worked that way

alternatively, they designed it in such a way as to invite a suit over the constitutional question that they won't seriously oppose

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
E: poo poo, I just realized this was USNEWS. I am so sorry.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

E: poo poo, I just realized this was USNEWS. I am so sorry.

You must go on a quest to restore your now tarnished reputation.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

PAAAAAAAAAAAARTAAAAAAAY

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

My first thought was that the judge should select charities guaranteed to really annoy the chuds.

My second thought was that any charity not used for grifting would piss off the chuds. But still. Seeing the money go to, say, Planned Parenthood would just be icing on the cake.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
A bump stock ban might stick; the major gun industry people don’t manufacture bump stocks, and they can fundraise off of it.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

The entire Flynn thing is bonkers. Judge is really trying to get Flynn to put it off until after the dust is settled, but for some reason he seems determined to go full steam ahead?

Thread: https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1075061464325611520

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1075066281378877441

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1075070735633268741

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1075074308089831426

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Sentencing postponed...

The lawyers likely decided that the Judge was gonna give him prison time. There must be something in those loving redacted memos.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/17/senate-criminal-justice-bill-tom-cotton-1067913

Tom Cotton trying to sink the Criminal Justice Reform Bill with his usual brand of Ghoulish SkullDuggery Ammendments

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Chilichimp posted:

Sentencing postponed...

The lawyers likely decided that the Judge was gonna give him prison time. There must be something in those loving redacted memos.

The judge tried repeatedly to get Flynn to ask for it to be delayed until after he's done cooperating, then went hard on the treason rhetoric, then lunch!

Sentencing witnesses while they're still cooperating is pretty outside the norm, makes sense this guy didn't want to do something that could have a challenge later.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

Sentencing postponed...

I see things got interesting while I was at lunch, guess I have some reading to do.

edit: lol i see the judge basically called him a traitor and mulled over why he had not been charged with treason, as in the treason actually laid out in the constitution.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 18, 2018

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

evilweasel posted:

I see things got interesting while I was at lunch, guess I have some reading to do.

edit: lol i see the judge basically called him a traitor and mulled over why he had not been charged with treason, as in the treason actually laid out in the constitution.

Isn't that because Russia hasn't officially been labeled an enemy we are at war with?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rampant Dwickery posted:

Isn't that because Russia hasn't officially been labeled an enemy we are at war with?

A war is not actually a requirement in the Constitution. Also, Flynn, while in the (secret) pocket of Turkey, when the Obama Administration consulted with the Trump team during the lame duck period about an assault on ISIS's capital, told the Obama Administration not to do it - because he was acting as a Turkish agent. Whatever you have to do to qualify as an "enemy" of the US I'm pretty sure ISIS is it.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Aaaack, you're right. I got my wires crossed and conflated him with Cohen somehow - likely because one has hardly been mentioned over the last few weeks without breathlessly mentioning the other as "how you're supposed to cooperate with the FBI."

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The suggestion that Flynn should get leniency on his guilty plea always seemed ridiculous. It would make sense for someone whose only crime was lying to the FBI, but in Flynn's case his cooperation bought him leniency for the much more serious crimes he committed; he should still face real consequences for the crime he plead to.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

So, if I'm understanding this thread right: two years ago, this judge ruled against the trans and abortion protection portions, but that didn't go into effect because the incoming administration said they were going to rewrite that? And it's now moving forward?

Is there a precedent for the ACLU's attempt to intervene in this case? How likely is it that they'll be allowed to formally enter into it? It makes sense, intuitively, that a suit with broad consequences should allow those affected (or those working in the field, such as the ACLU) to join. But is there a legal mechanism for that?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

paperwind posted:

How exactly would they achieve this? It seems as though a significant chunk of the base is fine with the explicitly racist messaging. The GOP can try to stuff the racist cat back into the bag, but I'm not sure how well forgiven they'll be by the Trumpists. The GOP is simply incapable of winning any but the reddest of red districts and states without them.

i don't know, its not my problem. the GOP is hosed in the long/mid term and they know it. trump just sped up the problem for very short term gains. gently caress em, they are getting what they deserve.

Kale
May 14, 2010

This kind of explains a lot about how a lot of younger gamers started to get all these weird extreme anti-women anti-"SJW" opinions seemingly all at once around 2015 onward. Obviously one of the big factors was gamer gate but I always figured there had to be some other more subtle and less readily visible indoctrination mechanism or algorithm that was leading people down this path towards extremist views that really have little to do with actual gaming media content itself. Obviously there had to be some sort of connection, like gaming culture has always been kind of weird but I don't remember any of this ultra right wing nonsense and people that identify as gamers just bleeting on about "SJW's" and paranoia towards women before around 2015.

Sounds like this kid ultimately found enough common sense and reason to escape from his indoctrination but I don't see the same result for a lot of these other kids that are highly impressionable and swear by whatever meme dominates their social media landscape at any given time. I don't think there's ever been a more effective tool for indoctrinating youth into extremist viewpoints in modern times than the exploitation of meme and video game media culture towards that end.

I'd also argue that I can literally see this algorithm being exploited at play sometimes. Like I can't help but notice that youtube starts recommending me some weird loving poo poo that has little to do with what I'm searching for at times. I haven't gotten any of the Prager U stuff but every so often I'll notice a Jordan Peterson video or "Right Wing Pundit DESTROYS leftist icon" video when simply searching for a tip video on Breath of The Wild or something.

Kale fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 18, 2018

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Kale posted:

This kind of explains a lot about how a lot of younger gamers started to get all these weird extreme anti-women anti-"SJW" opinions seemingly all at once around 2015 onward. Obviously one of the big factors was gamer gate but I always figured there had to be some other more subtle and less readily visible indoctrination mechanism or algorithm that was leading people down this path towards extremist views that really have little to do with actual gaming media content itself. Obviously there had to be some sort of connection, like gaming culture has always been kind of weird but I don't remember any of this ultra right wing nonsense and people that identify as gamers just bleeting on about "SJW's" and paranoia towards women before around 2015.

Sounds like this kid ultimately found enough common sense and reason to escape from his indoctrination but I don't see the same result for a lot of these other kids that are highly impressionable and swear by whatever meme dominates their social media landscape at any given time. I don't think there's ever been a more effective tool for indoctrinating youth into extremist viewpoints in modern times than the exploitation of meme and video game media culture towards that end.

I'd also argue that I can literally see this algorithm being exploited at play sometimes. Like I can't help but notice that youtube starts recommending me some weird loving poo poo that has little to do with what I'm searching for at times. I haven't gotten any of the Prager U stuff but every so often I'll notice a Jordan Peterson video or "Right Wing Pundit DESTROYS leftist icon" video when simply searching for a tip video on Breath of The Wild or something.

It’s probably also fair to say that gamergate was greatly enabled and expanded by these new algorithms and the platforms using them.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
https://twitter.com/NewYorkStateAG/status/1075057547072233473

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
If you didn't closely follow the blowup of the Syrian conflict the claim that Flynn was lobbying on behalf of a country friendly to ISIS probably sounds like hyperbole but it most definitely is not. For most of the early part of the conflict Turkey kept their border very conveniently open to ISIS (and not accidentally or because of payoffs, it was a widespread thing). ISIS incubated just over the Turkish boarder and essentially used Turkey as it's staging ground. Foreign recruits were (at least for the first several years) almost without exception flown into Turkey, met by handlers there, and eventually prepared to cross the border. Turkey knew it was going on but looked the other way.

There's also the thing where Turkey was directly funding ISIS by buying cheap oil from them from the production facilities they seized. Basically what I'm getting at is that working for Turkey at that time was de facto aligning yourself with ISIS's interests ultimately.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Mueller won that secret appeals case

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1075162574524686336

quote:

Four days after attorneys secretly argued over a grand jury subpoena suspected to be related to special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian influence in the 2016 election, a federal appeals court is forcing an unnamed company to comply with the subpoena.
The appeals court did not identify the company, nor did the appellate judges say the subpoena was related to the Mueller investigation. The company that sought to quash the subpoena is owned by a foreign country, the ruling Tuesday said.
But the hearing Friday came after several other secretive court clashes between Mueller's team and the company that received the subpoena, apparently over a grand jury action. The US Circuit Court in DC had locked down an entire floor of the courthouse Friday to prevent disclosure of the lawyers' identities.

Rosneft maybe?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

The scuttlebutt in the other thread is that Rosneft is no longer owned by a country, and that the Middle East expert was spotted at the appeal, so more likely the KSA sovereign fund.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Qatari business maybe?

https://twitter.com/Theophite/status/1075166482856726529

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

we don't actually know for sure it's mueller's

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Rinkles posted:

we don't actually know for sure it's mueller's

true, technically all we know is that Michael Dreeben and Zainab Ahmad happened to return to their main office at the exact time you'd expect from someone leaving the DC courthouse

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

eke out posted:

true, technically all we know is that Michael Dreeben and Zainab Ahmad happened to return to their main office at the exact time you'd expect from someone leaving the DC courthouse

We can easily clear this up. Maybe they were having lunch, so we just ask thEEEYE WAIT A MINUTE, poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It's extremely cool and normal that nobody can tell *which* foreign own company was bribing the president because there's too many valid options.