Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

Nathan J. Robinson writes for Current Affairs about mass animal farming and the prospect of ending it.

This was a really interesting article; thanks for posting it. I think a lot about animal welfare, and although I don't really have a problem with eating meat in principle, I think a lot of our current practices are needlessly cruel. I try to get free-range / cruelty-free / halal / kosher products whenever possible, but I would welcome an alternative cruelty-free form of "meat", especially if it also had the benefit of being much more ecologically efficient. It sounds like that is on the way, which is very exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

NYTimes: Trump Wanted to Order Justice Dept. to Prosecute Comey and Clinton

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Reading the actual bill text quoted in the article, I think that the banks have a very tortured reading of the law. I'd be shocked if the banks' argument held up in court, even given our judiciary from Hell.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

The other issue is that ruling that "not A and not B" means "not (A and not B)" probably has all sorts of nasty consequences that nobody wants. It's not like this is the only law that uses a "not A and not B" construction, and even if you are a conservative justice, my guess is slightly easing regulations on banks is not worth throwing the rest of the legal system into chaos.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Helsing posted:

I think it's just a symptom of the bigger problem of having the executive and legislative branches being so separate under the American constitution. In most systems the equivalent to Speaker of the House would be the head of government.

I think it's fine to have separate executive and legislative branches, but the presidency is a little weird. Instead we should elect the head of the various departments separately and eliminate the presidency altogether. Then you wouldn't have such centralized power and people could have more fine-grained control over which policies to promote.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

mila kunis posted:

One of the 'reforms' he wanted was the privatization of social security and GOP racism and intransigence blocked that. Obama was a such a piece of trash lol

Do you have a source for this? The closest thing I'm finding is him offering to cut social security by changing the way cost-of-living adjustments are calculated.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

The Connecticut Supreme Court ruled that Remington could be held liable for Sandy Hook

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1106220570046328833?s=19

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I'm a little curious why you can't just mount the USB stick as a read-only drive. Is it that the USB drive might have hardware-level malware?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Mano posted:

Read-only? Like the computer can still read (and execute, thanks von Neumann) the stuff on the stick? I mean there are/were viruses distributed on official CD-Roms. Hmm, I wonder if I still have that old Internet Explorer CD with that one...

Yeah, that was a bit of a brainfart on my part. I was trying to ask what HootTheOwl asked, but that's been answered at this point too, and the whole discussion is getting a little off topic IMO.

Back on topic, it looks like Bibi got overwhelmingly reelected after promising to annex the West Bank. This has some pretty significant implications for US foreign policy IMO. Trump will go along with whatever Bibi wants, obviously, but Israel is becoming an increasingly partisan issue and this flies in the face of decades of US policy. Hopefully this will convince more Dems to withdraw their blind support of Israel.

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 10, 2019

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

You're badly misreading those results. He won on the narrowest margins.

e: also that projected coalition includes kulanu, which as I understand it has a grudge against Likud...?

You're right, and I'm glad to see that I was wrong. I've edited my post.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

It looks like a man who drove his car into a crowd of people in California last week did so because he thought the victims were Muslim.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Details are still coming in, but there was a large earthquake (~6.4) in inland Southern California.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-earthquake-california-shake-quake-20190704-story.html

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Mass shooting at the Gilroy Garlic Festival in California. This is horrible, that festival is always so much fun. My friends and I used to go to it every year.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

It may be literally worthless, but it’s rhetorically powerful. David Koch died with enough money to end world hunger and he spent it instead on furthering fascism and electing Republicans (but I repeat myself). That’s a dramatic example, and yet for every person living in a McMansion in the suburbs with two cars, kids and a pet, literally thousands have to go hungry every night.

I don't totally understand your argument here—aren't those two examples contradictory? If David Koch had enough money to end world hunger, then why isn't giving that away enough to keep people from going hungry every night, without eliminating the suburban lifestyle?

(My understanding going into this was that it's probably possible to modify the suburban lifestyle to make it sustainable, rather than eliminate it, so I'm curious to hear if that's not the case.)

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

A quick google check says that Jay-Z's net worth is 1 billion dollars.

I guess Beyonce finally found someone who can pay her telephone bills.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

From the New York Times: California Church Leaders Lured Homeless Into Forced Labor.

Maybe I'm naïve, but I'm still always shocked at the cruelty that supposedly godly people are capable of.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

How the U.S. betrayed the Marshall Islands, kindling the next nuclear disaster

The US built a big containment vessel on the Marshall Islands filled with the remnants of their nuclear and biological weapons tests, and now that the vessel may be in danger due to sea level rise, the US is refusing to help, claiming it's the responsibility of The Marshall Islands.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

House majority impeaches President Trump

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Buttcoin purse posted:

A religious freedom law used against bigotry? :monocle:

While I'm happy that these people had their convictions overturned and I think what they were doing was awesome, I'm very uncomfortable with the judge's reasoning here, as I understand it. I'm pretty sure that even the hellworld Supreme Court hasn't ruled that you can straight up ignore regulations if they conflict with your religious beliefs (e.g. Masterpiece Bakeshop was ruled on much narrower grounds). If my understanding is correct, then this is a terrible precedent and I very much hope that this gets overruled and kicked back to the court, where they find some other way of getting these people off (hopefully by ruling that banning leaving people water in the desert is unconstitutional).

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

What am I missing here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Otteration posted:

If the current poo poo in these United States doesn't change much soon, lots of healthcare providers may find it necessary and within their inalienable rights to walk the gently caress off their jobs, while protesting at large concurrently.

A "nurses protest" google search, which may be updated and looked into often, was provided.

Ah, the "[wait for it]" made me think that there was a something weird at the bottom of the page, like maybe a "one of these articles is not like the others" sort of situation. Thanks for clarifying!