Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Lightning Knight posted:

I have so many questions I know I will never get real answers to. :stare:

What's Actually Happening at the Border by Brianna Rennix for Current Affairs. For all y'all who keep asking "what happened to the caravan?"

Operation Red Meat For The Base is such a predictable waste of both funds and manpower.

I don't know if I'm cynical enough to actually believe they released so many immigrants in hope of having an immigrant crime wave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Well it is what he would do with the money. :v:

I kid, I kid. He never pays off debts.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I'm shocked that once again the things that the true experts said would happen did indeed happen.

Just can't handle all of this winning.

Just another Lone Wolf, who can guess what motivated him?

ratbert90 posted:

I find it infuriating that the implication that finding “thousands of democrat ballots” is bad because it’s votes for democrats and not bad because “thousands of votes for democrats where lost/suppressed and are now just being found/counted.”

"Vote Fraud" has *always* been about people voting the wrong way (oftentimes for Democrats). See also the old canard of 'dead people voting Democratic' that still gets tossed around.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Hellblazer187 posted:

Isn't the whole "pay for NATO" thing a complaint that they don't have enough of a military? My understanding is that as a member nation, you have a commitment to spend x% of your GDP on your armed forces. And this is what most members were failing at. So this is... Exactly what Trump was asking for.

It is, but Trump has always worded it as them cutting a check to NATO because A) he's an idiot and B) he's an idiot.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Or maybe just spend a little bit less on the military instead.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I suspect that after that masterstroke of a press conference he had on the 7th they're doing everything they can to keep him out of public view.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Your post has made our glorious job creators uneasy. You must immediately perform penance with the remaining available balance on all of your credit cards.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Zwabu posted:

Is that the one where he went out of his way to call black female reporters losers who don't know what they're doing/talking about?

And where he did the name and shame of the Republican candidates who didn't kiss his rings and lost.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

lemonadesweetheart posted:

They also commit them.

Ahem. I think you'll find that's Hate Self-Defense, not Hate Crime.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

VH4Ever posted:

SUPPORT AR TROOPS! SUPPORT AR TROOPS!!

Another GOP lie exposed.

That lie has been exposed multiple times.

Shifty Pony posted:

The Republicans in Congress repeatedly saying in September and October that we need to look into cutting Medicare and Social Security due to the massive budget deficit was also a pretty huge help in exposing the con.

Them saying those things made just as little sense as Bredesen releasing that he would have voted for Kavanaugh. It was like they just couldn't help themselves.

Oh the GOP was not making a mistake. They were talking to the people with the big checkbooks.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Madkal posted:

When Donald insulted a gold star family the veil was lifted and surprising absolutely no-one Republicans didn't care. They still shouted "support our troops you unpatriotic traitor" while their leader farted away. You would think Donald not giving a flying gently caress about World War I casualties would be a big deal for them but they only "care about the troops" insomuch as they can shout at other people about "not caring about the troops".

They became traitor military as soon as Donald attacked them. It's purely tribal.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Skippy McPants posted:

He was expecting all the heat to fall on immigrants, minorities, and other poor people who aren't him. Aging white bigots very much banked on Daddy Trump riding in to save them from the scary brown people and restore (their idea) of the Amercian Dream. It consistently comes as a shock when they're forced to face the fact that he does not give one withered poo poo about them either.

The whole "I never expected the leopard to eat my face" line is pretty standard among those types. And then you have the occasional "While the leopard may have eaten my face it also ate those other faces too!" types that still support him.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Lolling at all the comments there trashing her for not supporting Barbara Lee.

vvvv Like reality matters to the insufficiently pure purge squad.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 21, 2018

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

So let me get this straight: gas prices spiked right when Trump dumped the Iran deal, and now (at least in my neck of the woods) they're at "only slightly worse than they were before that happened."

And of course to some extent that's natural price movement, since nixing the deal happened right before summer, and it's almost winter now. So he's both taking credit for all that, and the credit he's taking is "I screwed things up massively, and now it's only a little worse than if I'd done nothing!"

Art of the Deal.

Also don't the gas prices typically go down around now because of the whole "winter blend" thing?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

This RBG discussion is some amazing retroactive crystal ball forecasting.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Oracle posted:

Maybe the could call it... I dunno, just workshopping here but hear me out: Voice of America?

edit: dammit beaten

America Today.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It's amazing how bad he is at this.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Hunt11 posted:

This timeline makes less sense every day.

I think I heard him on NPR earlier and his stance was 'The Right Wing is wrong because they're not terrorists and the Left Wing is wrong because they want to give them free handouts'

Sooo close and yet still sooooo far away.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

You know what peeps? I think our president might be a little corrupt.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The real ones know he won't pay.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they start claiming that the Russians were helping the Democrats.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That’s been an on and off again Republican talking point since last year.

Oh I know that, but I'm speaking more of an 'Official Government Stance' thing.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Frabba posted:

I'm actually having trouble even finding tweets about this news.

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/sini-election-fraud-arrests-1.24231657

You missed this fun bit:

Article posted:

An affidavit from Robert Maloney, an investigator with Sini’s office, said Mann and Dickerson submitted Green Party nominating petitions to the Board of Elections in July that contained forged signatures, including, in one case, the signature of a person who died in 2014. Mann and Dickerson hoped to get Republican candidates listed under the Green Party on the Nov. 6 ballot to boost GOP chances of victory in last month’s election, Sini said.

The Green Party continues to be utter poo poo.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Mainly because it is a red meat to the Appalachian states, Coal is still what people think about as a way to make a living with decent wages in those states, even though that hasn't been the case in a long long time. Coal was a working man job that let you provide for your family and made you basically set till retirement. For those states and areas thats all they had for a long time, as those jobs went away the whole areas that those mines and jobs uplifted fell apart. There is still the dream that those jobs will come back and that everyone will benefit.

Also for 75% of the population they believe the service industry is filled with lazy fuckheads and they deserve to lose their job. (gently caress these people)

Coal is also the big middle finger to people concerned about the environment.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Also moderating the shitpit that is some of the darker parts of the internet breaks people.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mustached Demon posted:

Think of RT as Putin's fox news.

Except the influence is in the opposite direction.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Telsa Cola posted:

Its darkly hilarious that basically the only thing both parties generally agree on is that the media is horrible trash and that something needs to be done.

That they do, but for pretty much diametrically opposed reasons.

"You're not buying into our fantasy enough!" vs "You're giving their fantasy too much credit/time"

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

revwinnebago posted:

What the Putin admin wants is to position itself as being powerful enough to control US elections.

They did this by buying a few ads on Facebook.

You fell for it, even if you're trying to be on "the other side".

If you ever look through the history of the cold war you'll find that it's remarkably cheap to buy influence in the US. The old Soviet Union preferred getting right-wing people as spies because they could often be turned for a bit of money rather than ideology.

It doesn't take much for capitalists to sell out.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

FoolyCharged posted:

“The nightmare scenario is that somebody decides to be a lone wolf and pulls something like what happened in Charlottesville,” says member of group that is one person deciding to be a lone wolf and pulling something shy of being an armed riot.

That's a spicy meat-take!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I want to say that they were claiming the parents were unrelated if they didn't have any documentation proving the kid(s) was theirs. Of course what the appropriate documentation was was up to the border official soooo....

I bet skin color differences were used as one of the determinants.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The CPD is used to doing whatever poo poo they want and getting (mostly) away with it. They're throwing a temper tantrum because their hand got very lightly swatted.

Edit: Especially towards PoC and vulnerable groups. Just like most police departments

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

There were no red hats involved in the video.

FoolyCharged posted:

Not quite. I mean, cpd is corrupt as hell, but if the attorney is dropping a bad case why is smollett surrendering his bail money? That's functionally donating 10 grand to the people who ran you through the ringer, live on national tv. If he was forced to do so despite a bad case why isnt that fact all over the media?

Perhaps that was their 'fee' for releasing him early and not leaving some complaint looming over his head as a 'We could drag you back in for this!'. It's not like the police aren't known for holding people for extended periods without any actual charges against them, especially PoC.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Being a wilfully ignorant bigot is forum's user Your Parents' entire gimmick.

Once again bringing us back to the "Ironic _____ is the same as just being _____" lesson.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Rigel posted:

lol, yeah that is not even considered "rare" in a pack of Magic cards

That's straight up basic land territory, at least in the early days.

Which is also what votes!

More significantly the distortions of votes cast and representation has been exacerbated by the limiting of the number of house seats and (more generally) the improvement in gerrymandering techniques.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The horse race narrative never stops.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Zipperelli. posted:

All I hear is drivers should drive because prices are gonna surge like no ones business. Got it.

Do the drivers actually get more with surge pricing or does the company just pocket it?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I think you'll find that that is HIGHLY essential.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It's how they can afford all of those subsection services

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Disrupting the wine snob world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The second place finisher on the Democratic side in Kentucky was a Pro-Life candidate.