Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
There's a lot of research taking place on the ISS that could not take place in any other currently existing facilities. Zero-g research is absolutely a thing and right now that's the only game in town making it essentially priceless. If you want to talk numbers about setting up alternate facilities for that research that conversation can take place, but until then what exists now is the entirety of possible zero-g research facilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The CHUD base is also being whipped into a frenzy by years of UHLEEGUL VOTERS ARR STEELIN' R DUHMOCRACY so that they're not willing to engage their brain space and think "Hey maybe counting every vote takes awhile" and instead running into the arms of a fascist enemy purge because that fits Cheeto Benito's narrative better.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Fake news, Russian disinformation campaigns, social media shitposting...I don't think any if it would have caught on so well if we didn't have a society being destabilized by the wealthy and a government no longer working for its citizens. People, at a gut level, know everything is hosed up and stacked against them so they're searching for the thing to be righteously pissed off at about it. All those things above are stirring the poo poo up but we've been brewing this pot for decades.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'm pretty indifferent on whether RBG gives the turtle another seat or not. The entire institution is already turbo-hell-hosed for decades as is, really not going to shift the course of the nation. Either dems find a loving spine and pack the court to fix poo poo or the entire supreme court is just something to be written off as hopeless.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Tibalt posted:

When you've got a president whose threatening to completely close the border, you don't really have a choice about at least talking to him and trying to resolve the situation.

They really should have known by now that the very first thing you do after talking to the toddler in chief is tell the rest of the world what you actually talked about so he can't make up bullshit and lie about it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
In a normal world sure, but this is the Hellfucker 2018 Earth alternate dimension. What's to stop them from just doing it anyway? I mean literally stop them. That's been a bit of a habit with Hair Furor running things, so what part of this has actual consequences and enforcement lined up to stop it?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Rigel posted:

So, was yesterday's vote just on cloture?

Total side note but I just want to point out that if you had said the word cloture to me before 2016 I'd have no loving clue what you meant. Living in interesting times, indeed.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Yowza. Cohen raid 2.0?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Rex-Goliath posted:

ok so just like the obstruction of justice where he loving admitted it on live television because he’s such a dumbass here he is again openly admitting to an impeachable offense

President admits publicly to some light treason. Again. Yawn. The latest season of this reality TV show has run out of ideas and they're just recycling stuff.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

:lol:

"No no, I'm not like all THOSE suckers. I'm a smart guy and I know he actually cares about me, if I just stay loyal this narcissist will certainly be loyal in return."

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

eke out posted:

I feel like he was never actually running, merely engaging in a legal grift that'd let him raise money and publicity.

also now the great december toxx thread banning may begin

But enough about Trump's campaign, we're talking about Avenatti's potential campaign.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

"Fortunately for us our president is willfully blind and fantastically stupid so I can make mouth noises about this then accomplish no real concrete actions."

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Who is going to say no and enforce that answer?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

fool_of_sound posted:

Despair posters gently caress off back to USPol

How is it nothing matters-ing to acknowledge that the right wing media propaganda machine will cover for every one of Trump's fuckups and never stop? That list of the incompetent grifters posted above doesn't matter at all. Their competence isn't what is keeping Trump in office. Right wing propaganda is and Fox isn't going anywhere.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It's extremely cool and normal that nobody can tell *which* foreign own company was bribing the president because there's too many valid options.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

axeil posted:

and all the initial russian cooperation was just a smokescreen to get info on their enemies. the article doesn't say it, but i'm curious if the people they wanted info on are the same people who've turned up dead in the past 2 years.

Just merc-ing peeps based on this information probably wasn't their goal. Knowing every person in government with more power than the office coffee maker who happens to be in deep financial poo poo and really, really open to being compromised? Being able to surgically strike the finances of anyone that does a thing they don't like? Now you're talking their language.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Mattis I’m sure wanted to stay on as long as possible to try and do damage control. This is Trump being a piss baby and outright firing him instead of allowing him to resign with dignity.

He's functionally illiterate, he didn't know the contents of the "gently caress you" letter until he had time to marinate his brain worms in Fox telling him it was a "gently caress you." Now he's pissy pants about it and throwing a tantrum.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

superjew posted:

Has Trump blamed McConnell for the shutdown yet? That looks like his only way out.

The turtle has withdrawn into his shell and is actively avoiding press or any situation that might have the public. He's a scum sucking poo poo stain on the underwear of humanity but he is also smart enough to see that coming.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

enraged_camel posted:

I should clarify I don't expect Donald to be removed from office, or to resign, unless this newest Cohen story is just the tip of the iceberg.

By extension do you mean that he will be removed from office or resign if this is just the tip? I'm not seeing it, personally. No matter how bad it gets the MAGA redhat death cult will never give up their angry, bigoted id given form. He's letting them indulge their desire to be loud and proud about how much they hate the "Other". They can never let that go, ever.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'm still willing to believe Russian infiltration and funding of the NRA.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

luxury handset posted:

someone had sent the guy threatening messages and he was jumped in a parking lot directly across from the NBC offices in downtown chicago, so someone was watching him. it's not just chuds wandering around

Feels a lot like this to me as well. Ski masks I get cause it's god drat cold out. Bleach is "OK, but weird" territory. Who carries around a noose on a normal day to day basis though? That makes it feel like they knew him and planned this.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

saintonan posted:

Because when a sane president is elected, that money can be turned into actual technological improvements, consistent with what Democrats have been advocating for a while now.

So put it in for tech improvements now and tell the orange piss goblin to gently caress himself sideways with a rusty cactus. No goddam money for the narcissist's racism monument.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Best part is all the people that used insider information to speculate on snapping up housing are taking it on the chin with this. Hope they go loving bankrupt and a homeless person gets their property.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Random Stranger posted:

Don't forget that a resolution is just another bill passed by Congress and Trump will be able to veto it.

And he almost certainly will, but the damage to Senate Republicans that they care about will have been done by that point. As soon as pissbaby president signed the emergency declaration he ripped off Turtle McFuckface's shell and gave him nothing to retreat in to. He can't just bottle this one up and refuse to acknowledge it. As soon as the house passes that resolution against the declaration every last one of them has to do the thing that a lot of them have been dreading since day one, a no-bullshit up-or-down vote for or against their base's strong-daddy leader.

The ones in ruby-red MAGA central are cool with that, they'll vote against it and the CHUDs will love them for it. Everybody else that had any worries about 2020 just got a loving boat anchor tied around their necks. Say no to the glorious leader and be ripped apart by ravenous right wing wolves or say yes to his actions and write every last attack ad against them for the next two years.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 15, 2019

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
That's kind of the story of the 2016 election in a nutshell. Media as a whole being incapable of accepting that such things as calling someone a Nazi is not hyperbole and is in fact valid criticism when they're loving sieg heiling at the RNC and screaming "Jews will not replace us" with tiki torches.

They've been both-sidesing goddamn everything for so many decades now they're fundamentally incapable of accepting that one side is objectively worse, morally repugnant at its core and is absolutely worthy of the criticism it is receiving. It's the divide by zero statement of our current media climate. They just cannot process it and default to blaming the people pointing it out.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It's CPD. They likely did some kind of illegal poo poo that they got away with a hundred times before but this time torpedoed their own case when it got high profile. Now they're panicking and trying to make it all go away quietly, nothing to see here, don't ask what happened just, uhhhhhh, move along.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

ummel posted:

So is there really a large uptick in asylum seakers/immigrants or is this all from increasing enforcement/poor logistics?

THERE'S A HUGE INCREASE OF IMMIGRANTS FLOODING THIS SITE because we shut down all the others IT'S AN INVASION, WE'RE IN A CRISISthat we made happen BROWN PEOPLE ARE COMING FOR YOUR JOBS AND YOUR CHILDREN.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Some of the nastier stuff I've read about skips even that and installs itself right to the BIOS. So you can do all the bells and whistles you want with CD booting and restarting to clear out memory and whatnot but unless you get to the point of physically isolated hardware specifically dedicated to it there's never a guarantee it's completely sanitary and safe to re-connect to a live network.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Some of those who work forces, are the same that burn churches?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Instituting a draft would be political suicide that not even this smooth brained mother fucker can dodge unless invaders have landed on US shores or something. I forget what interview the quote came from but that line about "He's not hurting the right people" and the mentality it demonstrates means anyone currently on the MAGA train is gonna get off really, REALLY loving quick if they're suddenly doing inconvenient things like fighting and dying in a war.

That has an extremely direct and visceral line of cause and effect that would short circuit the normal right wing propaganda of things like, "No it's the dirty immigrants that took your job, not automation and capitalism." Trump makes draft, I'm getting shot at and killed, gently caress him.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Tank u 4 yur cervix, respekt ARE TROOPS!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Imagine 2008 but without TARP or the auto manufacturer and select industry bailouts.

Or a competent leader with competent staff. The underlings would gently caress up something like a 2008 crash ten ways from Sunday and the guy pointing them in the wrong direction will be a narcissistic poo poo-gently caress with advanced dementia looking to personally profit off the situation.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Just some good American Patriots defending their rights ok?

What's that you say, a major step towards fascism is declaring opposition parties and candidates illegitimate/illegal/national security risks?

Nope, don't see what that has to do with this.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Why wouldn't they ask for more?

They took the legislature hostage and tried to force armed conflict. As punishment, they got what they wanted. The bill is dead.

That's not even "negotiating with terrorists" level of bad idea. That's transcended to, "Maybe if we give this German chap the country he wants this will all blow over."

Threatening armed resistance is now a valid form of government, so why not repeat it and get more of what they want? It's nothing but positives in the eyes of the fascists. They lost nothing for doing it and gained what they wanted.

So, again, why not do it more often?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

mycomancy posted:

It's lead.

Eh, I don't see it. Feels to me more like rapacious late stage capitalism turning the country's economy into a blighted hellscape of suffering and the resultant social fraying that comes from that.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

VitalSigns posted:

or it happens anyway in a chaotic and ruinous crash.

I have some bad news for you about a little theory that goes by the name "crises of capitalism"

Ninja edits ahoy!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

insert_funny posted:

IT'S SO UNFAIR THAT THE DEMOCRAPS WON'T LET ME MAKE MONEY OFF MY PREDSIDNECY~!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1185735579327193093

Sorry, I guess I remember factual, documented history that can be looked up in seconds wrong. The search was already done and Doral was perfect, beautiful, top of the list, better than all the other options they looked at.

Unless....gasp....did the president lie to the public?

I'm shocked. Well, not that shocked.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Is this where the Onion writers are headed since their parent company is imploding?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Gyges posted:

If they had decided to stick with the message of this all being bad, but not impeachable they would likely make out much better.

The propaganda machine of the right wing media and the party elders that have been around the block did exactly this, and would deeply, desperately love to continue doing so. It really would be the best approach. This approach is failing for two reasons.

One, malignant narcissists don't work that way and on a personal level Trump will obliterate their political careers with a tweet if anyone else in the party gives him anything that doesn't sound like fawning, absolute servility. With his personality that's just how it works. No level of self destructive behavior is worse in his mind than receiving what he feels is his due.

Two, on an institutional level, they've been fooling the rubes with apocalyptic rhetoric and race-based hatred so long that the institutions are no longer in the control of those elders. The true believer inmates now run the asylum and have control of the institution. Any attempt to paint this as "Bad, but not impeachable" is seen by the zealots as betrayal, giving ground to baby murdering liberal Satanist foreign invaders that want to murder your dog and destroy your "freedom". When you believe that, nothing but scorched earth full offense all the time is acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Otteration posted:

Nestlé​ admits slavery and coercion used in catching its seafood
cbc.ca/Nov 23, 2015
"Impoverished migrant workers in Thailand are sold or lured by false promises and forced to catch and process fish that ends up in global food giant Nestlé SA's supply chains."

Nestle is such an atrocious monstrosity of crimes against humanity that slavery doesn't even move the needle. Try this one on for size; giving African newborn mothers enough free formula to stop the production of breast milk then cutting them off, so the mothers get to watch their newborn die of slow starvation while they're diluting what little formula they can afford with unsanitary water that makes it worse by sickening them.