Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
It's been a good run, boys...

Stroll...driver of the day, driver of every day..... :smithicide:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

finally my month toxx is up

as always: stroll driver of the day

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

andyf posted:

Can someone quickly recap me on the 2019 car rule changes? Engines stay the same but the aero changes a bit?

engines stay the same

the wings get even wider

not much else really

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

just occurred to me that its been 10 years since mclaren won a championship lol

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

i always thought it was weird how the steering wheel was placed on the passenger side of the dashboard and the codriver got the side that housed the instrument cluster

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll driver of the day

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Breaking: forums poster Wirth1000 is Lawrence Stroll's son?????

:monocle:

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

formula e is a dumb binman spec series

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll driver of the day

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

But that's the road car McLaren which is totally unrelated to the F1 McLaren isn't it?

iirc both companies are under the same ownership now that dennis is gone

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

DoctorGonzo posted:

Silverstone

lkmao

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

STROLL DRIVER OF THE DAY

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

stroll driver of the day

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

1500quidpoocati posted:

PYF things that give you chills

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Lawrence Stroll should buy F1

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll driver of the day

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

f1

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

i did it, i actually ordered some poo poo from kimoa for my birthday

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

remember that time mclaren proudly posted an engine firing up vid with honda and it sounded like someone was rattling bolts in a trash can

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Who's driver of the day? I forgot

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

iospace posted:

It's *checks notes* Joylon Palmer?

hmm, let's go to the polls

wrong

it's Lance Stroll

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Reminder that Lewis is still #1

that's a funny way of spelling Lance Stroll

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

freeranger posted:

Spyker was the worst name.

I'm also trying to remember since someone mentioned Arrows. Did anyone take over the team or did it just cease to exist? I honestly cannot remember.

iirc there was some fuckery involving Super Aguri picking up their 2002 chassis to use for the 2006 season but aside from that they stopped existing in any capacity after 2002

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

tuo posted:

The hybrid-era Honda always had this sound when running off throttle. It was really extreme during the very first barcelona testing with McLaren, but it stuck since then. According to Honda, it's a feature, and there are dozens of possible explanations of why they change the firing order off throttle, but I haven't seen anything official up until know. You could hear it in free practise in the past, irregardless of McLaren or Toro Rosso.

how on earth do you change the firing order without changing the crankshaft, or am i massively overthinking this

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Old Grasshopper posted:

Lando Norris was actually born in 1999 and is 19 years old racing in F1. It’s kinda nuts isn’t it? He seems to be a good talent and is British. Which is nice for McLaren I guess.

I think Williams has some treat drivers this year. George Russell who won F2 in 2018, and the great return of Kubica. Just need the car to actually be competitive!

And on RBR using Honda I’m genuinely excited. TR had a pretty good run with Honda last year, and the guys in Japan seem to have invested a lot to get themselves back to the place they should be. We all know that Honda on form are a terrifying force to be reckoned with. Makes me wonder what would’ve happened if McLaren had owned some of the problems with the car and worked with Honda rather than working against them. Big personalities like Alonso tend not to go down well with the guys from Japan. Which again, makes me wonder how Verstappen will get on with his Honda engineers VS the lovely Pierre who is just a nice guy.

All in all, I’m really excited for this season.

honda haven't been on form since...about 1991, so i'm not holding my breath

of course now that i've said that they'll magically be amazing next year and win the championship

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll driver of the day

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

the only funnier reaction would be if it was vettel

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

mclaren launch coming up boys, on a scale of MP4-30 to MCL32 how bland and utterly disappointing will this be

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

It will be MP4-29 bad.

oh jeez i totally forgot about that shitheap

they went from "it's a placeholder livery!" in preseason to "we're talking to multiple title sponsors" at australia and then that ridiculous "didn't want a title sponsor anyway" poo poo ron spun up

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

GramCracker posted:

turn your monitor, the heart throb at mclaren is clearly Chili

Carlos "Chili" Sainz will always have a soft spot with me because he was who I got to write a driver intro for on the 2015 F1 post

edit: also the McLaren overalls look like the costumes they wear during carousel in Logan's Run

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

freeranger posted:

Yeah, sorry should have linked to Wiki for him.

Chris Dyer, was Schumacher's race engineer during the domination years and Kimi's in 07.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Dyer

lol i cant imagine the abuse he must have endured for being the guy blamed for making the call at abu dhabi

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

1500quidpoocati posted:

You misspelt “death threats”

it was either that or brazil 2008 where luca di montezmolo casually mentioned it made him so mad he smashed his TV like its some regular occurrence, which said a lot for how things must have been behind the scenes

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll driver of the day

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

BubbaGrace posted:

Does anyone else lay in bed at night and wonder why Ferrari is so poo poo?

same but McLaren

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

remember when a bunch of us had the great idea to make a #TeamAmericaF1 website to parody USF1, complete with a car mockup that had a truck grill and McDonald's advertising and a bunch of people thought it was real

that was 10 years ago

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

why mclaren poo poo

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

wow the first mclaren since 2012 that doesn't look like a total bin man mobile

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

tuo posted:

Claire Williams was just on F1TV saying that the new livery should tell the world how bright and vibrant the future of Williams is.

Dear Claire, please sort out all the poo poo with your brother, and bring him in. Thank you.

e: they are calling it an "aggressive new look, which conveys the technological advancements in F1". What are they smoking at Williams, and where can I get some of it?

williams has been poo poo and irrelevant since 2005

mclaren since 2015, 2013 at the earliest. there's still time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

does anyone remember that time kimi told his engineer to shut up because he knew what he was doing, it was le epic xD