Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Inzombiac posted:

I can't find concrete evidence but I suspect they won't.
I played and liked JC3 more than most but I am a sucker for over-the-top games and have a decent bullshit threshold.

My perfect game is a Just Cause / Mercenaries game.
With geomod tech.

And Goku is there.

it seems like the game is defiently going for a bit of mercs feel. conquerable areas and your army/faction are constantly openly fighting with the baddies espcialy on border regions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4deN7Z185g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Flannelette posted:

Sounds good, one of the best parts of JC3 was the battle mission at the end of each area. With aircraft and transport ships carrying tanks and troops coming in and fighting with the rebels in a big battle.

I hope they have more unique big destructible objects like JC2 had as well, JC3 was basically the same 10 things over and over.

the seem to be making more things destructible and making battles a thing that happens dynamically in the open world.

i am probably gonna pick this up next week if it reviews well and the PS4 version isn't poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

Depending on how much you trust Jim Sterling/the people who pass information to Jim Sterling a lot of the problems with JC3 (and other Square Enix titles at that time) can likely be attributed to someone(s) at Square Enix being absolutely convinced the PS4 and Xbox 1 were going to bomb so they were shifting a lot of their time and money to more "online" stuff - hence there were things like Sleeping Dogs Triad Wars. Then the PS4 did really well and Square had to quickly shift a bunch of stuff back into the more regular model.

JC3 was okay (better if you got the DLC jet-powered gun wingsuit for cheap) but with the above in mind stuff like performance issues, repetitive missions, the upgrade minigames, and how abruptly the plot moves feel like symptoms of a bigger issue rather than any inherent problems with Avalanche. Definitely going to look into the early impressions though and if they are good maybe I'll get it shortly after release. $80 CDN is a lot to ask for if we're looking at something similar to JC3 though.

Square Enix seems to be kinda of just a terrible publisher with anything outside of their niche. they seem to expect every western game they publish to make red dead/GTA levels of money.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i will pick it up this week if i have a chance. it looks like it could be fun, just hope the reviews are good.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I haven’t seen many reviews on it yet outside polygon and they arnt finished yet. They seem mixed on it gameplay wise and I looks like they barely fixed the main mission structure from 3 but more linear and a ton of timed poo poo. Normally that wouldn’t mean poo poo but apparently a ton of poo poo is locked behind region conquest.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

VanillaGorilla posted:

Played a couple more hours. Same verdict: it’s fun as a destructible sandbox but the game around it seems paper thin.

Also, to the poster above me - they 100% do this. As your lines push outward you run into way fewer enemies just out in the world.

Kinda mad I got it at full price, probably should have held off on this one.

Sucks, really glad I didn’t buy it now, sucks.

Earwicker posted:

playing on xbox one x and can confirm the game is a big ugly mess.

in addition to what has already been covered:

-worst looking water ive seen in a game since like the 90's. JC2 was photorealistic in comparison. got in a boat at one point and it had no wake nor any other impact of the water's surface it was just gliding across like it was ice. the water itself looked like tiles from planescape torment or some poo poo

-they tried to do some effect on helicopter blades i guess to make them look the way they do on film, but what it actually looks like is the helicopters have a motionless flat star transparency.gif on top of them and it looks terrible

-the control/menu system is baffling

-its super easy to get stuck inside the geometry of various vehicles and buildings

basically the whole thing has a feeling like they didnt start working on the game until like a month ago and slapped the whole thing together in a mad drunk rush

i have had some fun moments and am looking forward to exploring the world but man I hope they fix this poo poo its the ugliest AAA game in a long long time

Christ, i wonder what happened? They seemed to have learned from 3.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hav posted:

But who’s stoked for the awesome ‘Rage 2’ now, eh?

i am, i liked the setting from 1 and having it made by doom people and the dudes who made mad max seem like great combo.

Hav posted:

Edit: bulletstorm was better on every metric. <tears off shirt>

Oh a 100%. bulletstorm is loving classic and a legit good and funny game.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

another game seriously hampered by over-enthusiastic enemies, but otoh it let me rescue hostages by driving a pickup truck through the wall of the building in which they were tied up

shame the remaster was apparently a mess

really. it runs well for me and it looks pretty. shooting hundreds of EDF chuds in ever expanding fire fights as Martian working class revolutionary is fun.

Oxxidation posted:

the weird pseudo-loyalty system of Mercs 1 added an unnecessary layer of stress to the game, i thought

couldn't explode too enthusiastically for fear of ticking off one of the other mission factions

id like if the faction stuff meant anything. like outside an ending and sometimes a free airstrike.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Deakul posted:

$78 very well spent.

I've never known such instant buyer's remorse, it's an incredible feeling that I haven't felt in years and I'd do it again!

:smithicide:

i am so glad i didn't buy it. i bought fist of the north star and BF V instead and both of those games are pretty fun. thanks for your sacrifice deakul. :patriot: :fireman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

It's still quite fun but a lot of the gloss has rubbed off with time.

It's really shallow and largely empty. The story is short and uninspired. The entire game is just a tech demo.

But drat... collapsing a tower just right is a feeling that's impossible to beat.

it definitely shows its age but gameplay wise its still fun, which counts for a ton in my opinion.

Hav posted:

I thought this would be a safe fallback after fallout '76.

Why yes, I AM bad with money. How did you guess?

i am pretty sure i got that for christmas.