Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

I. M. Gei posted:

What the gently caress is a NEET?

A Japanese acronym for Not in Education, Employment, or Training.

EDIT: So it turns out it's actually from the UK or something? I've never heard it outside the context of Japan, but that's where the internet says it comes from. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

snack eater posted:

in Japan, NEETs are called hikikomori

how could the acronym work in Japanese? think, McFly, think

Nah, Japan definitely uses NEET, and hikikomori are literal shut-ins. As in, never come out of their room. NEET is just someone without a job or not in school; you don't necessarily have to be both, but most hikikomori are NEETs if only because there are very few who make a living never going outside of their rooms. And there are definitely NEETs who go outside all the time.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

A life of Crime will shape this loser up. Or not, who cares, it'll be hilarious to see him in jail.

He's probably gonna just steal money from his relatives or something, I'm guessing.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Wow, are all of the plot threads just him doing the same things while thinking about different stuff? Pretty amusing regardless.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Oh boy, our master criminal is going outside. Is the world ready for him?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

best bale posted:

Pleeeease let him be dumb enough to tell the cops he killed them instead of reporting a hit and run

Holy poo poo, that would be awesome

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Natto is surprisingly bland for being so disgusting looking.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

The realism is just incredible.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

lofi posted:

Who is that? Is it normal in Japan to share bathrooms or am I missing something?

e: Oh, is it Tohru's mum?

That's just his mom walking around half naked right after her bath.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

SnowblindFatal posted:

But why did he end up being an internet dweller? Parents who weren't present for him when he was growing up. Gabor Mate talks about this stuff, check him up.

So really, he doesn't even have to wait for his parents to pick up the knife, he can claim he was under attack the entire time so it's definitely :neet:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Johnny-on-the-Spot posted:

I'm so sick of working on my own project, I decided to procrastinate and draw fan art like a true NEET!

Very neat.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm hoping Partner In Crime Girl witnessed the guy inexplicably handing the cash back to NEET and it now going to comment.

Or she says something to the hardened criminal and he tells her the horrifying truth about the MURDERER they stole from...and the fear is somehow attractive to her. Maybe she becomes our neet's first girlfriend?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Holy poo poo, farming arc incoming? Only one crop for my NEET ex-con :420: :2bong: :420:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Who cares if some softbrain can't figure out which post is what :justpost:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

hyphz posted:

Also why is “debugger” on the same qualification level as a janitor but a later choice for Tohru?

Gonna guess it's an entry-level QA job that Japan uses their own English loanword term for.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Mr. Steak posted:

thats part-timer tohru goddamnit.

ok maybe i'll stop doing that after all haha

The confusion is a feature, not a bug. Don't stop the madness.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I like how, with all this talk of weeding out the unworthy and stuff, this guy would poo poo his pants if he knew of our NEET's past.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Mr. Steak posted:

that's how i interpret it, lmao. grammatically the line could also be correctly translated as "he won't have a good death" as in, he'll die as a loser. but i'm sure the implication is supposed to be that the company is unbelievably shady. so lol

Oh, okay, so our NEET avoided a shady situation that would have misinterpreted his past in the worst way.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Jfc, please don't contact the author about a fan translation. Just don't. :can:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

bob human being posted:

xenophobia has nothing to do with "cultural sensitivity" and even if not talking to this dude is ultimately the right thing to do, assuming hes gonna throw a tantrum isnt a good way to respect any artist.

Laws are also involved. Don't make wild assumptions about nebulous poo poo like "respect".

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Mr. Steak posted:

tbh i have no clue why a goku silhouette was included there, but it might have something to do with the fact that the japanese understanding of "neet" doesnt perfectly match the word's english etymology. on the site i mentioned once or twice w articles about neets, the concept of "training" wasnt even mentioned in the definition

Goku is also a fighting "otaku" who hates working or otherwise making money, and he's barely functional as an adult member of society, so that's my understanding of why he was shown there. And a bit more literally, the training in NEET isn't physical training but job training, so...

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

My NEET showing growth, love it

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I like how this fan translation project turned out like nearly every other manga fan translation project: delays, squabbling, multiple release groups, and general chaos.

Now the only thing left is for the original author to somehow find out about it and kill the project entirely. It was a wild ride; once the thread dies, can a goon who reads Japanese just spoil everything? Obviously only if the thread dies, but that will probably take awhile with all this drama.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Victis posted:

Gonna be sad if she's really just using him for manga material

That Time I Seduced a Sad Old Man

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

TheAardvark posted:

really hoping Minami interrupts him to tell him her somehow much more horrifying life story

"... actually, I bullied multiple highschool classmates into committing suicide and they never caught me."

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

NEET finally gonna get his cherry popped, but not in the way he expected

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

TheAardvark posted:

PARENT MURDERING EX-CON SUES 4CHAN

this is going to end in him being publicly outed for his crime isn't it :smith:

You mean that's what the lawyer will patiently tell him. And we'll be hanging on to every word.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Brother Make posted:

I now present my greatest work yet.

Look, I appreciate the speed and all, but a little more care in your translations would be nice.

I mean, you're losing all of the subtleties of Japanese right here.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

You're lucky I'm not bored with you yet NEET, my criticism over the internet would have cut you to the bone!

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Brother Make posted:

Incidentally, the Japanese word for "lol" is the letter "w", which is short for "warau" (笑).

And now they seemed to have moved onto the kanji for grass (草) since wwwwwwwww looks like a field of grass.

At least that's what I heard.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Those little blocks of mochi are pretty much lumps of plastic until you heat them up. But then they get toasty and gooey and chewy when you do. Toasted mochi with soy and seaweed is a fantastic savory snack.

Edit: lumps of very hard plastic, that is

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Shadow0 posted:

Also, I want to know who was ballsy enough to bully the daughter of the Emperor of Japan. Literally no one is safe from bullying in Japan.

High or low, if you stick out you get bullied

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

I would say a relatively large number of audio bugs make it out into the wild because no tester wants to listen to in-game audio ever. Even when explicitly assigned to them as a task, lmao

Lol, not only do you get to do repetitive tasks all day, you get to hear the same poo poo all day as well! Yeah, I wouldn't want to do that either.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Already made his mark on history, what a guy

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Me too buddy, me too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Ghost of meme past was correct! Shenanigans!