Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

They are just pissed at having their asses handed to them by a bunch of ER doctors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Neil's released a statement on the accusations, I feel like he gives a good account of it, but we'll see how his accusers respond

https://ascienceenthusiast.com/neil...1139gVhS3SqU8oo

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I wish Carl Sagan was still alive :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

shame on an IGA posted:

We'll always have The Meat Planet.

Sounds an awful lot like FlavorTown

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

It is worth mentioning there is an allegation of drugging and raping a woman (in 1984). That should be treated seriously.

There's a lot of doubt about that one specifically. The other two are basically corroborated. At least unlike Kavanaugh, Fox and others are conducting a serious investigation.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/emilyrauhala/status/1069712571459137537

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NSA WIZARD posted:

TICK TOCK GOES THE CLOCK

But I thought it was all digital?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I see death on the First Shirt's face, General looks slightly bemused.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

Am I mistaken, or is that also a rifle barrel and front sight aimed into her gut/groin?

You are correct, and she's holding a pistol aimed at her gut in her hand. Genius.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

MG: I would like to see the value added of this training event, please demonstrate!

CSM: I'm not sure that's a good ide-

CPT: Show the General your weaponhandling skills learned during this training event!

2LT: YES SIR :downs:

Afterwords:

CSM: "2LT, your punishment is death by compass."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Medium/status/1070672326860136448

Chances are in a real Civil War, half these guys would be dead within the first few minutes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

How dare he besmirch Sierra Dynamix with his Patriot cosplay.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

psydude posted:

The Australian government passed a law that forces companies to install backdoors in their software so that law enforcement can bypass encryption.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/12/australia-passes-new-law-to-thwart-strong-encryption/

Which will never happen and just pisses off Tech Companies.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sacrist65 posted:

good?

Like, I know I'm going to get dog piled here but this helps law enforcement go after white collar crime more than anything else.

In b4 "lol prosecuting white collar crime"

Bad. Because it's entirely going to be abused and doesn't work.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Woof Blitzer posted:

Most encryption used today is not possible to break because of the math involved. So even if they pass a million pie in the sky laws it won’t make a difference.

Which is why this law is laughable. Inserting known errors into encryption scheme's to enable backdoors basically means the encryption could be easily broken without needing to use the backdoor.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

W Bush demonstrably did more damage as President than the current admin has.

I think too many conflate how good or bad a president is with how much they could imagine tolerating having dinner with that president.

Externally, yes, but internally? Nah. Even with Bush's VPs blatant profiteering and corruption, Trump's taken it to the next level. Because Trump isn't even good at it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Smartest thing he's ever done or may ever do.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

psydude posted:

Charlottesville car guy convicted of first degree murder.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...age%2Fstory-ans

Convicted of EVERYTHING. All counts.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

He's be exonerated, or so he claims, like 6-7 times now. He's really hoping the next one will exonerate him even more.

Too bad about individual 1, however. Ashame.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Casimir Radon posted:

I shot the rifle range instructor and went to Leavenworth.

This is the weirdest "I shot the Sheriff" spoof ever.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Well, you see, Rand and Ron don't like regulation...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My man, you like wall? I give you good wall. Best wall there is.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Handsome Ralph posted:

The guy's tweet is kind of overhyping it. Ballard wanted to go look for the Titanic. He approached the Navy for technical assistance and IIRC, one of their submersibles. They said sure, but you need to also go to the Thresher and Scorpion wrecks (they already knew where both were), and see if it's possible to bring them back up to the surface. They figured because he was acting as a civilian and not a member of the navy, the Russians wouldn't bother surveilling him or whatever.

So it's not AS cool as say the Glomar expedition, but still cool.

Also I got to see Ballard speak a couple of times since he was a professor emeritus at my school and occassionally showed up to give lectures. The one on the Bismarck was some incredibly cool poo poo. Sobering too.

Yeah, this was overhyped. It was basically common knowledge that the Navy requested Ballard find those two in exchange for helping him with the Titanic.

Nowhere near like the Glomar Explorer and K-129

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

McNally posted:

Apparently his Twitter got flooded by people telling him that Ballard has been talking about this publicly for years now.

https://twitter.com/Kyle_Feldscher/status/1073417346650378245

Its no Project Azorian to be sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Azorian

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

.....uh, didn't SCOTUS already basically validate the ACA Act?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/brehonisbest/status/1073491717570117634

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Handsome Ralph posted:

Just cause it was brought up a few pages back, but the CIA gave burials at sea to the Soviet Submariners they recovered when they picked apart that Soviet Sub in the North Pacific. They filmed it so they could give it to the Soviets if/when they story got out and it's kinda creepy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJAJUJ41PBI

Those guys had been at the bottom for 6 years, and they still managed to ID 4 of the 6

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fallom posted:

Video does not show bodies being placed in the bags so they were definitely taken to a CIA black lab to test for genetic modifications

One of the sheer lucky things that happened was: One of the guys killed was in his bunk, and just happened to be reviewing the technical details for the Missile system when the sub sank.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I'm fairly certain that, even if Trump doesn't go to Jail, he's going to leave the White House with none of his businesses intact, and most of his accounts seized.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DoktorLoken posted:

Bankrupt and in prison for the remainder of life due to decades of crime. That would be a fitting end to this dumpster fire.

I suspect we'll never get Trump in prison. Trump Jr and Jared, maybe even Melania? Incredibly likely. But not Trump.

But I fully expect by the end of SDNY and Mueller's investigations, Trump Org will be largely in law enforcement hands.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I thoroughly enjoyed BoB, but man The Pacific was good too....but it was really loving dark. Naturally.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Its easy for "Well, he was just some Mujahdeen fighter" to slip and become "Well, he was just a freedom fighter" or, like others who have face court martials "They were just some Iraqi/Afghanis, probably terrorists. Who cares"

We have rules about war for a reason: So we don't return to battlefield executions of POWs. We're better than this, no matter the enemy. gently caress anyone who can't follow those rules. Its bad enough we openly had black bag sites, where we often had innocent people we illegally extradited, held, and tortured. Often killed through torture, without trial or often with evidence.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

What's truly monstrous is how they don't understand how hair follicles work.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fallom posted:

My retirement accounts lost all the earnings they made over the last few years. Thanks, Mr. Trump!

We're buying a new housing and my bank asked why I was using 401k funds, and I told them because it was getting the value sucked out of them, might as well just pay the taxes and use them

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bird food bathtub posted:

Exit bag + nitrogen. Much easier to make it look like a cardiac event for life insurance to the wife and kids.

That's my 'You survived a nuclear explosion and you are going to slowly die from radiation poisoning/burns' plan

psydude posted:

I thought using the 401k for a home purchase was allowed?

It is, but you have to either take it out as a loan or pay the taxes and just deposit the funds.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 17, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Acebuckeye13 posted:

please don't kill yourselves

I don't think anyone is seriously considering it. And mine is "Your dying anyways and the world is over" response, and only then if I've suffered severe radiation sickness and burns.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Only diesel cars will be capable of riding the roads post-apocalypse. It'll be 1980s Mercedes Diesels riding shiny and chrome :colbert:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Proud Christian Mom posted:

we've only spent the entire 35 years of my life beating into the heads of every person in America that home ownership is the cornerstone of the American dream and its also a great investment and you should do everything possible to get in on it. oh yeah if you dont make enough just take out every student loan possible to get an education because this recent WSJ article said you can get a job coding and make lots of money!

Its worth mentioning that companies are starting to recognize that coders are just as talented without a degree, and are hiring/training coders straight out of high school now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

psydude posted:

Not to mention all of the other stuff behind development - software engineering, project management, QA/QC, product management, localization. Programming is like 15% of it.

Those bootcamps can be a good pipeline to an entry level job, but "Skip college, do software!" is taking a pretty reductionist view of a fairly complex industry.

Project Management is largely being pushed off on PMs, QA/QC is a joke even with college programmers.

Seriously, I've worked as a System Engineer with large software development teams, QA/QC is generally a mess even with college level Software Engineers, and they generally want nothing to do with managing their own project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the thing, tho, is that there is no actual operations in software
you build it, thats it. copying is basically free. even peeps who are basically said to be operators, sysadmins, are janitoring the machines, not doing the work, the machines actually do the work

that means that too many cooks deffo spoil the broth. its why many attempts to try to use sweatshops to produce good software fuckin explodes. its because everyone involved is designing

Not so much with cloud anymore, a lot of Development Operations is automating the product chain and deployment cycle. There is a lot of cross over.