Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

NSA WIZARD posted:

TICK TOCK GOES THE CLOCK

Q IS COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

lol I love having dudes die in order to muddle along

We're closing in on 2 decades of this strategy; it will work at some point!

I assume plan B is something we'll term "strategic hamlets".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mods changed my name posted:

which TFR goon is this

Nice roadhog cosplay, I assume thats an unreleased skin though?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ded posted:

How surprising that he hired illegals. Look. This is my shocked face.

The legit surprising part is she got a secret service pin.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sacrist65 posted:

good?

Like, I know I'm going to get dog piled here but this helps law enforcement go after white collar crime more than anything else.

In b4 "lol prosecuting white collar crime"

What they're asking for is mathematically impossible.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sacrist65 posted:

yea, it's human nature, but that's the "Why pass any laws if some people will break them argument.txt"

Also, like any conspiracy, intercepting communications is necessary to prosecute government corruption. This helps with that.

I ask myself why this sort of legislation hasn't already been passed in a unified "law and order" government that doesn't have an incentive to care about privacy. I keep circling back to that. Maybe the technology isn't there, I can't speak to that part.

If the government can break it anyone can break it. Do you want to send your credit card information over clear text?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

See but they could but together excellent teams because every Korean pro gamer has to put in their 2 years of military service when they hit 18.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

not caring here posted:

It'd be cool to see a proper defection in all of this mess

Theres no way Trump's ICE would let that through.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Witness Protection is a country in which the ruling party is pretty clearly compromised by Russia?

I mean maybe she can "defect" to another 5 eyes country?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

Yeah, they do that sometimes. Doesn't make the news often because they don't really come close to the US. It's a long goddamned flight, so they don't dick around.

:lol::lol:

This is so loving adorable.

They don't need to use novichok though, it'd look like this: https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/03/us/saudi-sisters-hudson-river-what-we-know/index.html

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

But the story also is that the girls publicly stated that they'd rather kill themselves then go back to SA. So they tied themselves at the waist and dove in?

It seems more plausible than that British spy that died "due to his self bondage fetish" who somehow put a lock on the outside of a bag he was in.

Its still pretty :crossarms:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Video is coming, but this meeting turned into a clusterfuck in front of cameras, with the President going galaxy brain.

https://twitter.com/swdoody/status/1072537103353958400?s=19

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1072538320847233029?s=19

If every republican actually supported this it would pass - democrats aren't needed until January

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

psydude posted:

They already used budget reconciliation to push their stupid tax bill. They need 60 votes in the Senate.

If they really wanted to they could do it - simple majority to change the rules.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Picture yourself going into that room, with that line inside your head. Now, the President of the United States is sitting there, yelling MY DICK IS A FULL FOOT LONG AND MY FACE IS MADE OF PIZZA AND YOUR POSITION IS APPLES DISHWASHER TABLETOP SPRINGWATER AND I WON THE SENATE while Pence is just sitting there.

At some point, the crazy man's rantings should be left alone to speak for themselves. Schumer got his first boner in a decade when Trump was rambling about YEAH I WANT A SHUTDOWN FOR MY WALL, IT'S MY SHUTDOWN AND SHUTDOWNS ARE AWESOME.

Nancy had some boss bitch owns, but at some point, there's diminishing returns on sending an own at the President when he's actively owning himself and you don't actually control the House until January.

Pelosi got Trump to freak out over her saying "Trump shutdown" and then he later was proud of the prospect of a "Trump shutdown" so mission accomplished?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Juleanna Glover has worked as an adviser for several Republican politicians, including George W. Bush, Dick Cheney and Rudy Giuliani and advised the presidential campaigns of John McCain and Jeb Bush. She is on the Biden Institute Policy Advisory Board.

Those things should be at the top of these kinds of articles.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It does depend on the crop though; grains are almost fully automated but many other crops are very labor intensive.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i mean does that cover his taxicsb medallion scam too or is he still open to prosecution

Isn't that a state level thing?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Yep

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metcalf_sniper_attack

It seems like it was a tightly coordinated and pretty professional attack.

Perhaps the strangest thing about that attack is that it didn't happen again.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Syrian Lannister posted:

President Pissbabby is cancelling the annual media Christmas Event

Doubling down on the war on Christmas I see.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

psydude posted:

Not to mention all of the other stuff behind development - software engineering, project management, QA/QC, product management, localization. Programming is like 15% of it.

Those bootcamps can be a good pipeline to an entry level job, but "Skip college, do software!" is taking a pretty reductionist view of a fairly complex industry.

Most of that stuff is orthogonal to a CS degree anyways. Its like expecting a degree in physics to build a bridge.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

psydude posted:

So the primary driver (aside from saving on maintaining physical infrastructure) isn't labor costs, it's that it's loving impossible to find anyone to fill the job to begin with.

Recruiting is a train wreck where the safest thing is to set standards so high thats its impossible to hire anyone. Hence you get interviews where candidates are asked "how many piano tuners are there in manhattan" and then to implement a tree traversal on a white board neither of which have anything to do with your actual job.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

These are an attempt to create class barriers, so fewer people good enough for the job but not good enough for Stanford get to be low-digit millionaires. They seem comical and counterproductive now, but in a few years they'll be replaced with machine learning algorithms that will be able to reject 500 people with black-sounding nameswho wouldn't be a culture fit per second.

Amazon already created one which found a very high correlation between rejecting candidates and having "women's ____" anywhere on their resume. So it dropped any resume that mentioned something like that.

Amazon will not use that program.... however it was based on Amazon's own hiring data sets.

edit: There was also the one used at an investment bank or some such that had the highest correlations to being hired being the name "jared" and high school lacrosse.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

The hell? So... Does every Lacrosse team have a designatef Jared? Or were all the Jareds on the same team and thats how they started banking together in their identical trust fund money scheme.

Jared & Jared & Jared

Or only 1 guy named Jared applied and was accepted and 1 lacrosse player applied and was accepted so each indicator was a 100% success rate.

Given it was finance and New England it was probably Jared, Jared and Jared’s lacrosse team.

(Not 100% the name was Jared but it was definitely lacrosse)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Gunchat alert!

Supposedly the administration is going to do an outright ban on bump stocks, requiring destruction and everything. I wonder if the NRA is going to drop a lawsuit because I'd bet the NRA would win.

https://twitter.com/dominicholden/status/1075053766439768066?s=19

NRA is fine with gun control if it comes from republicans: https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...m=.1d228bc03e53

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Flynn's strategy seems... odd. This is the sequence, right?

Judge: Wow, your filing is alleging serious misconduct by the FBI that undermines the guilty plea and could be considered a crime itself! Could you elaborate?
Flynn's lawyers: uhhhh, erm

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm trying to follow this through the lens of smart hats on twitter and I don't know enough about law to get it but I'm happy at least

Basically Flynn knows hes guilty as hell, his lawyers filed a "actually the FBI committed a bunch of crimes" thing and the judge played along saying that he bought the filing and let Flynn get out of his plea deal and expose the dastardly FBI for their wrong doing. Then Flynn+lawyers freaked the gently caress out at the judge calling their bluff.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mods changed my name posted:

he is way too loving simple to understand how much he hosed up, he was probably just "morose" looking because he had to wake up early that day or he hadn't gotten to snort a huge rail of adderall yet

Or he realized that he actually had to do something.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

We just got a hint on the mystery Mueller subpoena.

https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1075155747355455488?s=19

Foreign-country-owned company!

Edit: that has been found in contempt with escalating fines per day that they don't comply!

https://twitter.com/MikeScarcella/status/1075150724617654272?s=19

Rosneft, Gazprom or Saudi Aramco?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

deuschbank or whatever it's called maybe

They aren't state owned.

iKon posted:

Steele Dossier has been pretty spot on so far, so I’ll guess Rosneft.

:pisstape:

Reminder since it happened so loving long ago, but the Trump machine was supposedly offered something like a 20% stake of Rosneft, the Russian oil company, in exchange for lifting sanctions. According to the Steele Dossier, at least.

I was listing in order of probability, Saudis would be out of left field a little but they've obviously been playing the Trumps so its absolutely within the realm of possibility.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

orange juche posted:

Black sheep call, Qatar Airways. They've had an office in Trump Tower in Manhattan since 2008, and they're state owned. Could be trying to use that to cozy up to the president.

Emirates is also possible I suppose.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

MAGA twitters creeping realization that they’re not getting their wall is fun to watch.

Just wait until concertina wire counts as "the wall" and they claim victory.

Like WMDs in Iraq.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I had to google who the gently caress this Major Golsteyn was, and he apparently killed an Afghan in violation of the RoE? Did I live under a rock for a bit?

killed in violation of the RoE is a bit of an understatement for summarily executing your prisoners but sure.

Can't wait for Trump to pardon the nazis we tried and executed for following the commando orders.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jarmak posted:

Then it's just a free for all murderfest for anyone who thinks they have a good reason.

About that... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Calley

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

He's accurately explaining that their main objection to it was the "Obama" part, I guess.

quote:

“Obamacare had all the bad stuff — the Affordable Care Act is different,” said Tom Miller, a health care expert at the conservative American Enterprise Institute, gently mocking the American public’s confusion about one law known by two names.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/19/obamacare-court-ruling-opposition-middle-class-1039811

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/benyeehoo/status/1075740244627075073

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

GOD loving DAMNIT

gently caress

gently caress

*beep* Paging NSA WIZARD to the thread, NSA WIZARD to the current events thread. *beep*

edit: seriously though russian spies being in charge of russian sanctions at all levels is the most darkly hilarious thing so far since 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1075866917993410560

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lou Takki posted:

Lol this is amazing? My political humor compass is broken and just spinning in circles now.

:chaostrump:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m so confused.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That Works posted:

Mattis should have resigned over putting troops on the southern border tbh

Obama and Bush did it too, it’s not too insane and this way Mattis could pushback on anything other than laying concertina wire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

1.6mil is a pretty huge settlement from a city

The new article didn’t seem to say anything about a lawsuit?