Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I haven't really done any Christmas shopping. And I don't really want to, either. I don't want anything and don't want people to waste money on useless crap for me but I'm sure it'll happen anyway. Why can't you just tell your family "Let's just not this year?" and it actually happen? Seems everyone has guilt in not buying garbage for people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

:lol: you guysssssss

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Edit: Oh dear, Urban Meyer is retiring after the Rose Bowl. This city very well may implode.

I'm a big OSU fan and am ok with it. He's a great coach but I won't mind some new blood. Just hope they can still recruit like they have been.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This has to be a borked alternator that I just swapped out, right? I am going to check my fluids when I get home, but the whole thing just trips me out. I don't care to swap out the alternator because that is an easy job. I just don't want this to be a rats nest of poo poo to untangle.

Maybe? Check your battery voltage off and when running.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

The internet was a mistake. :argh: Al Gore

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Today driving to work I saw a bitchin' camaro. It was like a dark teal (blue/green), had louvers, and some chrome wheels.

Your mind jumps to 3rd gen, but it was a 5th.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Looking forward to it as well.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

But I think spog is right, it's not just about that you two have issues.

I think he knows that considering he's saying he's trying to GTFO in the post. :v:

Kid is teething I think, so gently caress sleep I guess.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Beverly Cleavage posted:

You'll get there. I'd promise, but I haven't made it there yet.

I swear I was awake for more, but my fitbit says I got 4 hours sleep throughout the night. I was awake for a solid 3 hours from midnight at the very least jumping from one kid to the next - mostly the littlest as she woke up and wouldn't settle back down. Overall, they're amazing kids, but goddamn I want some sleep.

drat, I take back my complaint. Probably got around 5-6 hours average the last two nights. Wife was out of town for the weekend so solo dad duty wore me down more than usual.

People say kids grow up so fast but I wish it was a bit faster at this point. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

everdave posted:

I know it can be hard and frustrating but don't be like me, just wanting to "get it over with" late nights and early mornings. I would give anything to redo it so far, my whole life actually. Now I have an almost 9 year old and a 4 year old and I am trying to be there and experience and remember every moment.

Basically what I am saying is don't be like me and now divorced so I only have 50-75% of the time, I had a rough night up just regretting the times I skipped going to grandmas to work or to stay home and get some alone time. What a fool.

I love spending time with the kid but I don't love not sleeping to do it. I don't feel like I'll look back at this point and think "wow I'm so glad I didn't miss out on those nights hanging out with her crying in the middle of the night, how fun." Sooooo I think we're talking about different things here. Just wish she'd get passed the teething and other "gently caress up your nightly sleep" sort of issues.

Both my wife and I are not worried about divorce since neither of us want to have to do this alone at this point. :v: Still, having a kid takes a toll and makes certain aspects of marriage tough.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

spog posted:

Same but for my first lover.

I didn't know what the gently caress I was doing with my first fast car, either.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Because they're poo poo, IMO. They're the new hotness in the craft beer world though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Jack's Abby's Cranberry Berliner would like a word with you, young man.

From the couple sours I've tried, it's just not for my palate. To each their own.

meatpimp posted:

Tungsten Carbide is hard brittle.

That sucks. :( Good opportunity to get a silicone one now. I kind of wish I had done that in the first place after seeing so many mechanics at work with them. Pretty smart and easily replaced if it gets cut or whatever.

But, no, I went with titanium, so I don't think it'll ever get FUBAR'd to need replacement.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Congrats! Hopefully the commute distance/time makes up for the assumed pay difference?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Titanium, at least the one I have, scratches easily, which surprised the heck out of me. I’m wearing tungsten carbide now, but thinking about a silicone one. Normally, I just take the ring off when working in the garage or whatever.
My dad has kept his gold ring on his keychain for as long as I can remember.

There's a reason mine started life as "brushed" titanium. I could always throw a scotch brite pad on a bench grinder to get it back to brushed vs. brushed and scrached, but :effort:.

Fermented Tinal posted:

A silicone wedding ring sounds kinda strange. Like wouldn't it get all torn to hell and be not unlike just using a rubber band?

It won't get caught on anything and take your finger off, and you'd barely notice it. My ring has a sharpish edge which I didn't think about much before buying, and is the bane of hand soaps. :v: I just didn't want a rounded looking one.

I feel like this is going to turn into "post your wedding rings ITT"

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 13, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

My ring was a perfect metaphor for my marriage. I asked for a smooth ring in white gold with a uniform design so I didn't have to orient it. What did I get? Yellow gold with deep, intricate grooves and 3 diamonds on one side. And it's not like I was shoving my opinion on her, she asked what I wanted and then did the exact opposite.

So I spent 10 years spinning it to orient the diamonds on top, and cleaning dirt and grease out of all the grooves. As I grew to hate the woman who gave it to me, I grew to hate that ring. And when we got divorced I threw the loving thing in the ocean.

Lol how did you not pick it out? I picked my own and bought it, and let wife get what she wanted too. gently caress the romance and surprise, I'm wearing that poo poo forever then it better suit my preferences.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Yeah my titanium one was at most 50 bucks. I know because the first one was too loose and I didn't feel bad buying another. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Ding! Except my friend is married, but her husband is in prison, and with another married dude who is giving her the "i'll make my decision soon" line of poo poo.

But i'd rather just cut out my wife completely!

Yikes.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

It's been fine. Mostly.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

How do you folks need so much hard drive space? I try not be be a physical or digital hoarder. I think I have maybe 2tb all told, and 1tb is a backup external.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Good morning, AI

https://twitter.com/BissonTyler/status/1074438089085468672

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

Is that a Cobalt?

drat how do you gently caress up that hard?

Appears to be. And if you hear the audio they set up a spike strip. So blown out tires with a little braking and see ya later. Who knows though. Buddy of mine sent it and thought it was share worthy.

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Guys.. I may be broken. I really, REALLY, want an electric minivan.

help :ohdear:

edit: and maybe an imported stagea for winter hooniganism.
We're thinking about kid 2 (though after the first I will continue to try and convince wife that 1 is good 'nuff :v:) and damned if a minivan doesn't make the most sense. I'm still trying to convince myself that a Buick Tourx wouldn't be a cool rear end wagon instead, though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

meatpimp posted:

What the gently caress is up with those? I was looking last week after seeing a ... Buick... wagon on a tv commercial. I knew nothing about them. 250hp ain't much, but at a $30k buy-in with a 4-year warranty, it certainly looks the part.

It's an Opel Insignia wagon that's been tarted up by slightly higher ride height and plastic fender cladding. :( Otherwise it has a decent engine (2.0 LTG turbo). I'm a bit annoyed that you have to get the highest trim to get heated seats, though. Oh, and nobody is buying them so the incentives are pretty decent. $11k off MSRP is pretty enticing.

I can't imagine it'll be for sale much longer, sadly.

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Most wagon's these days still don't have the space for a rear facing seat without impacting the driver/front passenger, which blows.

This is my main concern as my current GTI has this problem. If it doesn't meet this, then that's a deal breaker. My wife's Outback manages it just fine to have the rear facing kid seated behind the driver, even with 6'1" me driving. This thing sounds pretty comparable size wise but I've yet to get serious about testing it out since we're nowhere near ready for a 2nd anyway. It's just going to be a lingering thought until then.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

ilkhan posted:

So. Adult Legos. Discuss.

I have a Millennium Falcon and a Le mans car. Both awesome gifts from my wife. One I built during Christmas break (xmas gift) and the other when I was recovering from surgery (bday gift). Each probably took 5-6 hours to build which I spread out over a few days. Fun to build and now I don't really have space to buy more, otherwise my kid will find it and destroy it in short order. I kinda want an X-wing but again, lack of space. If we ever have a boy, I guess I could turn it the Star Wars ones into a mobile (and have an excuse to get more). :3:

My buddy had to one up me and buy the crazy porsche gt3. Haven't seen it yet in person.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Merry Christmas to me!

My first Surly, and my first new (to me) bike in a long time. It's rad and rides like dream :allears:

Grats! Is that also a single speed? First rule in bike pictures is post it from the cassette side. :colbert:

Is that a Lowside? Hard to tell from the pics and some things have been swapped. Either way, I don't think it's supposed to not have front brakes. :ohdear:

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 18, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I remember reading about how mountain bike riders hate them because they over heat too quickly? Idk, but I'm gonna start pricing poo poo out. Hydraulic discs sound great, would love to go that route but I'm guessing $$$.

You heard wrong. Mtb are exclusively discs except on the low low end or on really old poo poo. Get some decent Shimano hydraulics and you'll be set.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

nm posted:

It costs quite a bit more than just buying a bike with the parts you want.

This. Not worth it unless you really like to tinker and spend money. Just pay more up front for a better bike and you'll be better off.

That said, I bought a new bike not knowing wtf I wanted, and changed a bunch of poo poo anyway. :v: That's just being new to things though I guess and learning through it. Some things you may have to swap anyway to get the fit right for you (saddle, stem, bars) anyway.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

All the components on the bike are top notch :)

It doesn't even have components, though. :v:
-cassette
-shifter(s)
-derailer(s)
-brakes (lol)

Glad you're enjoying it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Ah, you again. He likes it and is happy, and that is great. That doesn't mean it's still not an unusual bike.

Sorry leica if you thought I was being a mean person on the internet. These are the cheap but good flats I have on my MTB. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ILX7OGA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The pins will gently caress you up though if you take one to the shin, but they're solid and cheap, and grip like glue to my five tens.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

I spent last night shivering and sweating on the sofa, called in sick first thing this morning. I've since chucked up twice so I'm not going in tomorrow either. No biggie but my lad seems to have the flu-like part of the same bug so we've had to ramp his meds up and wake him at midnight to dose him, my wife has had zero sleep and is trying to look after the both of us, I've told her to let me be and just look after him, in response she's bought me painkillers, hot tea, biscuits etc, she's really an amazing woman to put up with so much.

Ugh, sounds awful. Hope you all feel better. My whole family is sick too, but just colds for the most part. At least the kid is feeling better and actually slept last night.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Is losing the 10mm socket an achievement

I still don't think I've ever done this in all my years. I'm pretty good about putting stuff back and haven't gotten into any really big jobs for awhile. I did drop one down in the fascia of my G35 while doing something once but I was determined to get that fucker back. About 20 minutes punching the undertray and fiddling with a magnet found it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

When we moved into our house, I declared the garage would always be for 2 cars and my tools and it's stayed that way the entire time we've lived there. It's packed tight in there now (I keep buying more stuff -tire racks, bigger toolbox, a bike, storage shelves, etc) but not having a full basement and keeping this mindset has kept us from acquiring too much stuff. We routinely purge stuff and it's been working out well. It's harder with kids though since you get a ton of toys and garbage that takes up a lot of space. Thankfully she's on the same page about stuff but does get some emotional attachment to things, like our house. Trying to find a larger house in the near future is going to be tough to get her to detach.

Me, even heirloom type stuff I see as just things. I don't get attached to cars or objects really so it's never hard letting stuff go. Sure pissed my mom off when I traded in her mom's engagement ring towards the one I bought (old style that my wife wouldn't have wanted to wear for her entire life). But that poo poo would have sat in a box somewhere unused forever, for her or me. :v:

I'm too practical and robotic, I guess.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

IT'S FUN FUCKIN DO IT ALREADY

no

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

They need their own drones to fight them battlebots style.

Adiabatic posted:

Sending an email with this 18 times constitutes playing. Why are you so bad?

:effort:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

the spyder posted:

Bought a Traeger smoker for $200 off Facebook marketplace from this awesome old lady who used it ~3-4 times. Had the cookbook and was even registered for the warranty. I'm going to try and smoke a ~7lb brisket tomorrow. Wish me luck.

amazingingribs.com and the smoking thread, friend. I assume that's a pellet smoker? Those sound pretty awesome.

7 pounder assumes a flat rather than a full packer. I tried smoking one once and it was a bit dry. Might want to inject it since you don't have the point there for extra fat/moisture. I've only tried a flat once, rest have been packers from costco. Pretty much always awesome.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 24, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Merry Christmas goons. Forums were making GBS threads themselves earlier when I tried to wish you all good tidings.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ryobi ONE+ 1/2" ugga duggas. Cheap, works, robust.

That's what I use since I had other Ryobi stuff and batteries. Plenty powerful for lugs and other stuff if you have clearance to get where you're going.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

angryrobots posted:

I'd be scared that the dealer was lying about the real reason it got bought back.

If the VIN is posted or PM'd, I can look it up and tell you more.

Buybacks can be for really silly poo poo or dealer incompetence too. They only get 3 chances to fix a problem and something subjective like wind noise may be a hard one to correct. Dealers are good at swapping parts and following the service procedure but I don't know how good they are for stuff like that.

I've seen buybacks for issues that have crappy service procedure diagnostics, electrical gremlins and dtcs but also for defects that even new parts can't fix because of design issues. So, it can be a wide range of stuff. :v:

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 27, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

And that's the story of how this dude's girlfriend got herself stuck with the nickname of "Fat Megan."

You were fat once, don't forget that and don't be a dick. For this girl that nobody cares about, you all sure must talk about her a lot to have a billion nicknames for her. Calling the one "hot" insinuates the other one is not, so you're not doing low self esteem girl any favors.

Just be kind to people. (Do as I say, not as I do :v:)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Garbage people dont deserve courtesy if they insist on being garbage.

Love me some irony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Is there a New Years resolution thread? I forgot mine from last year.

Not sure if we've had one for a while. Probably not since IOC was mod king. It was a good idea and fun to read a year later.

Mine would be too boring to post since I'm really in maintenance mode of "just keep the DDs running" and have no time (or :effort:) for project cars. Semi-transportation related would be to keep riding my bike and not get hurt this year. :unsmith: