Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Kinda wish it was Twitter currently burning to the ground rather than Tumblr. Altho they BOTH deserve to have their disk racks nuked from orbit and their backups salted / acid melted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

INCHI DICKARI posted:

Ahahahahafuckkk

The subpoenas target 37 entities, including 13 Trump-linked entities and the federal agency that oversees the lease for Trump’s Washington hotel. Subpoenas were also being sent to the Department of Defense, General Services Administration, Department of Commerce and Department of Agriculture, all of which have spent taxpayer dollars at the hotel or have information on Trump’s finances relevant to the case.

Other Trump entities that officials plan to subpoena include those related to his Washington hotel and its management. Eighteen private entities including restaurants, venues and hotels that compete with the Trump hotel are also being subpoenaed to “illuminate the unfair nature of that competition,” said Maryland Attorney General Brian E. Frosh.

https://www.apnews.com/8335d630f04248fe9175f893c6641729

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nixon speed run is still on!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

Are cheap print servers not a thing anymore? I have my old HP laserjet hooked up (with a parallel port!) to an old jetdirect printer server (that I can't even admin anymore because it requires some ancient version of java I'm not installing) that's been going strong forever. HP's win10 driver still support the loving thing, which amazes me.

Cheap print servers are still very much a thing

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Is there such a thing as a print server I can plug my old HP all-in-one in one end and Bluetooth or WiFi photos from my phone at the other end? Because that would be neat.

I seem to recall something like that existing.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Advice required - looking for a 2-3TB(ish) backup / cold store offsite for about 20 odd years of photography and videos (Any pron is vastly smaller than images from my own cameras :-p)

Basically I want to replicate my FreeNAS and other backup drives to somewhere not local. I used to do it to Dreamhost but it turns out that havign an account there for 15 years dont count for poo poo when they decide that it's no longer allowed to do backups there cause of TOS (Oh yeah they just so happened to kill off all their cool one click installs and offer new CLOOOOOUD)

I might also want to move my live photo galleries websites as well if anyone has a good hosting idea these days

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

jamal posted:

I wonder what the biggest hazard is to pedestrians. Probably electric scooters, right?

Other pedestrians

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

Rhyno, you sure he didn't just feel bad for your wife?

loving kill shot right there

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

If someone had a head wound from hitting their head and they were responsive and talking but then suddenly they forget everything and say they feel faint and go in and out of consciousness and reset like they dont have any short term memory how bad is that like how likely are they to live

Concussion. Really wise idea to get an MRI to make sure not bleeding in the brain and / or go to ER but ..... if the docs say all clear its unlikely to be long term issues. Someone is likely to be in for a headache soon tho..... the last concussion I had from coming off a bike was one hell of a mean rear end headache that was barely quelled by Panadol.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

Bought an HP Elitebook which is supposed to be their "business" line of laptops, and it still came with INCREDIBLE amounts of HP software installed. I started trying to uninstall everything but it was taking so long that I said gently caress it and just installed Win 10 clean from a USB drive, which will be my new "1st thing I do" when I get new laptops. Most of the drivers worked out of the box, win 10 didn't detect the audio automatically but that's only a 400MB (?!) download from HP's website. Then it's just the matter of turning off all the stupid poo poo Microsoft wants you to turn on. They really don't want you to move to Firefox on Win 10 lol, I guess they're no longer worried about anti-trust suits.

I have complaints against Ubuntu, but the current Windows experience is so lovely Microsoft wouldn't stand a chance if they were a new player in the OS market.

code:
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.ParentalControls | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage Windows.ContactSupport | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Xbox* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps | Remove-AppxPackage # Mail and Calendar
#Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.Photos | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsCamera | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.SkypeApp | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Zune* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsPhone | Remove-AppxPackage # Phone Companion
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsMaps | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Office.OneNote | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Office.Sway | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Appconnector | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsFeedback* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.FeatureOnDemand.InsiderHub | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.People | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Bing* | Remove-AppxPackage # Money, Sports, News, Finance and Weather
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Getstarted | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsSoundRecorder | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.3DBuilder | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Messaging | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.CommsPhone | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Advertising.Xaml | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.SecondaryTileExperience | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.ParentalControls | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.CloudExperienceHost | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.BioEnrollment | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.OneConnect | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Twitter* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage king.com.CandyCrushSodaSaga | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage flaregamesGmbH.RoyalRevolt2 | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *Netflix | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage Facebook.Facebook | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.MinecraftUWP | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage *MarchofEmpires | Remove-AppxPackage
And thats not counting the other scripting and GPO's I do to even attempt to make W10 work the way I want it to

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Geoj posted:

I'll stick with Ubuntu.

It's great not being nagged weekly to restart your computer to install critical updates which may or may not break your operating system and/or delete your data.

I'd rather use a distro that hasn't been infected by SystemD

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

Buuuut it's since I'm moving back home to Vancouver, which means I'll finally be free of the crippling loneliness that comes from living in the geriatric containment zone known as Victoria.

If any AI goons are in Victoria BC over Christmas want to meet with an rear end in a top hat Aussie I'm up for it.

The Canadian Girl met my family last month, now I get to meet hers. And I spend my second NYE's in Canada.

quote:

That gen of Forester is so much cooler than the current stuff they make.

MY04 XT legit the best crossover of all time. gently caress that thing was hilariously fast

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

My wedding ring vanished into thin air one day and I couldn't find it again.

Much like the wife.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

What the gently caress did I just read

Adiabatic posted:

Eh it's the end of 2018... y'all must just be getting the "gently caress 2018"s out now.

I.... cant honestly say 2018 has been in any shape a bad year. Tiring but not bad. Certainly been very different in parts.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ilkhan posted:

So. Adult Legos. Discuss.

Awesome

Next question pls

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah it's single speed. Plans are to convert to a shimano Alfine 8 speed hub eventually. I think someone built this bike custom and just never put front brakes on it. Gonna do that eventually as well, I'm new to disc brakes on bikes and it seems they are pretty polarizing as some people love them and others hate them. So I have to figure out whats gonna work best for me, any advice on that topic would be great actually.

I'm fairly sure that anyone making GBS threads on disc brakes on a bike is a cafe racer who wouldn't dare ride their bike in anything other than perfect weather or some weird hipster. There's no real weight penalty anymore, they are more reliable and allow for better wheel profiles. Plus... there is not a shred of doubt they will stop you far better in the wet and they don't suffer from rim brake over heating issues. Rim brakes do suffer from metal buildup in the wet with can ruin your rims nice and quick. Also hydralic disc brakes are amazing to use - the modulation and thence ability to stop is great.

Ive always found bombing down hills with discs is faster - mostly due to being able to brake later with more confidence. It's not like I have cheap rim brakes on my bikes either- it's all Dura-Ace, best pads I can find that match the wheels I am using, top line rims etc. Any new bike I get going forward will be disc

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I remember reading about how mountain bike riders hate them because they over heat too quickly? Idk, but I'm gonna start pricing poo poo out. Hydraulic discs sound great, would love to go that route but I'm guessing $$$.

Discs having overheating issues........? Only after rim brakes would have given up. And TBH it's kinda bizarre hearing any MTB'er would be whining about discs, as a group they migrated very quickly due to their sport being exactly where discs work so so much better than rim brakes - there barely anything above low end that doesnt have discs now and even then, cheap bikes are getting discs

Hydro brakes have gotten down price, def worth checking them out

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Fender Anarchist posted:

now that we have hydraulic disc brakes, abs/awd when?

Electric pedal assist AWD MTB's exist. ABS for MTB also exist...! Also you can get traction control, power smoothing, the latest bike computers will talk to the bike..... And as

quote:

Mountainbikes have had poo poo like piggyback shocks, shocks with computer controlled valving and all sorts

says, computer controlled suspension, electronic gears, even CVT. The modern MTB can actually be quite mind bogglingly technical. Let alone pedal assist MTB's arent in any way like the silly pedal assist hybrids you might see about, these are very much full on fully capable of doing any drop of any non assist high end MTB.

https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/blog/best-electric-mountain-bikes-for-2019

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

slidebite posted:

As a non bike guy, is it reasonable possible to build a bike from scratch just picking components? Or do you have to buy a quality bike in the first place and upgrade everything?

Very resonable. Both my bikes were basically pick a frame and slot in what components I wanted. You can do that on just about all levels of bike and mix/match whatever will fit.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Not at all what I meant. That reply was about burdensome but ineffective laws.

Something something gun laws Australia

Something Something USA more gun deaths than any other western country by any measure

Gun laws are very effective actually.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

But guns are cool and I want several.

Things that go pew pew are fun and I go pew pew with them even with the laws. I can even own them if I want to.

They otherwise need to be heavily regulated.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ilkhan posted:

No, it's not academic level. But it is reality and he's better at explaining it than I am.

It's a poo poo source to be trying to back your argument with.

I call out CommieGIR on Facebook for poo poo sources and he has the courtsey to supply good ones that can be verified properly instead - so it's not just a "we wont accept conservative sources". I wont accept bad sources from anyone (and nor should anyone) no matter if they otherwise fit in with my world view.

You know what to do.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Victoria B.C. goons -

I'm inbound tomorrow thru to 2nd Jan. I would like to actually meet some of you crazy people this time around :)

(Dont worry, I only play being an rear end in a top hat online. Apparently I'm actually p.chill in real life)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Sgt Fox posted:

Don't forget to also visit Princess Auto and get yourself some POWER FIST tools.

I now this I *have* to check out

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Can I just say that while International air travel on the 23/24Dec isnt quite as lunatic as it is for Domestic...... it's still not exactly desireable. 1.5 hours waitng for bags on an already late airflight and then 15 minutes just trying to leave Vancouver Airpot being enveloped in Domestic travel insanity.

Much to my disbelief, it turns out Sydney Airport can handle as many planes as they can legally land with passenger numbers, even if the roads around it cant. Vancouver is just an A-Class shitfest from breakfast to rear end in a top hat.

Ahhh well here in Victoria now and it's not as cold as I was expecting. The shortness of the day is however somewhat offputting.....

Mery Christmas AI!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Merry Christmas you bunch of lovable assholes, from an Aussie currently a loooooooooooooooooooooong way from home :D

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Current Canada status - watching the girlfriend and her kid build Lego together.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ryobi ONE+ 1/2" ugga duggas. Cheap, works, robust.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Queen Combat posted:

How many ugga duggas (or brap braps) for a standard lugnut tho?

Two / three.

Ryobi ONE+ are not the best or most powerful but if you want bang for buck they just cant be beaten - something that cheap shouldn't be that powerful, or that rugged, or batteries that last that long or have such a well thought out tool and battery system.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

STR posted:

The price is drat attractive ($130 for just the bare tool, or.. $130 with a battery, charger, and case), but I'm worried 300 ft/lbs may not be enough for some rusty bits. I may jump on that anyway though - I can always return it if it's not enough.

If your part cant be removed by a Ryobi then you really should use a breaker bar first anyway

quote:

but most brands are owned by a handful of mega-corporations

Isnt everything these days?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Actually went out in public tonight and socialized.

I have a good friend who married a wonderful girl whom everybody adores. Her names is Megan.

He has a friend who is somewhat overbearing, shouts over everyone and generally wears out his welcome within 15 minutes. He recently became engaged to a girl with exceptionally low self esteem who is also named Megan. As original Megan has been a part of our circle of friends for almost 8 years we have given the new girl a few fun nicknames to more easily ID them in conversations. "Megs" "Megatron" "Megster" "Megan 2 the Sequel" etc. A few weeks back she got kind of pissy about this and she demanded to know why she had to be the one with the nicknames and raised a big stink about it. So we compromised. She became "Megan" and my friend's wife became "Hot Megan." New girl got up in arms about this and made some odd demands of us (a group of people she barely knows and that don't much care for her) about how she suddenly wanted to go back to the more appropriate nicknames.

And that's the story of how this dude's girlfriend got herself stuck with the nickname of "Fat Megan."

Im sorry but you are pretty much boasting about being an rear end in a top hat. I wouldnt even THINK about this kind of childish bullshit - I dont care what Megan is like, a rational adult will call her Megan and deal with any confusion like an adult.

She's also 100% justified about getting up in arms about it all. Grow up and apologise to her.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

meatpimp posted:

gently caress Fat Megan, she keeps wanting all the attention. Even in AI.

Of all the things to poke at Rhyno about, this is one of the more silly. We were not there, I'm sure there was more nuance than Rhyno implied, chillax.

No. Really it's not. They are being a bunch of ginormous dicks. How about that lot be adults and just call them Megan?

Rhyno posted:

Lol, I'm not apologizing to someone I dont even want to be around who makes unreasonable demands of a group of people who want nothing to do with her. She's terrible and deserves to be put in her place.

I'm sorry but who are the people thinking up juvenile names that she is rightly saying stop about? And you call that unresonable? You are the one being terrible here, not her.

For gods sake, dig up, not down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I swear I spend more time getting ready getting into all the layers and wet weather gear to ride in Canada than I do actual riding

Yeesh this year hasnt been kind to me with weight. Ugh. gently caress that time to get my rear end back to where it should be