Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm gonna main Bill Shorten this season if no one minds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Several monthly microthreads catering to the narrow interests of a few posters is a better system

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lol Kelly went off in public at a liberal mayor

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Turnbull owns now he's just doing things to blow up the libs which is fine and you're allowed to be amused and hope he keeps doing it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tony's merc is pretty old and lovely now tbh

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Can we really trust an Auspol IK who can't spell "government" :thunk:

Wow this is pretty elitist

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Amethyst posted:

Turnbull seems to think he can purge the party of conservatives from the outside.

Is he correct? Any posters want to back a side in this war?

He can create enough discord that the party will have to come to a conclusion and it's pretty clear that the moderates are slightly more in touch and clever than the cons. I wouldn't be surprised if he got an outcome that kills off enough of them to call it a win for Turnbull.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Vengeance is a great motivator after half-arsing a position and losing because of it. He tried to realpolitik and deal with a bunch of crazies and learned the only answer is to gently caress them up.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Every loving time she's like this.

Is there, in the entire history of the world, a single person who talks endlessly about how they succeeded through their own hard work and skill, and how you can too, who wasn't handed everything on a silver platter?

Arnold Schwarzenegger.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

So there are going to be 386 people presumably appealing their convictions with a strong chance of success due to them being convicted thanks to VicPol turning their defence attorney into an informer.......

Also presumably one soon to be extremely dead former defence lawyer

She's* the greatest lawyer ever and master of the long con.

* pardon me

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yes I caught myself as I hit post and checked my biases.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Andrews already firing up the royal commission.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

TheMightyHandful posted:

Finally we can sent TISM to Eurovision

If there was ever a reason for the remaining members of TISM to reunite, its to win Eurovision.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Peccadillo posted:

There was an online campaign last time and they collectively said "gently caress off" to that, so it's not a good chance

It's a shame that they never want Australia to win it but up to them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If TISM won't do it themselves just send a Daryl Braithwaite impersonator.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The only time I ever watch free to air television is for football or tennis. I don't understand how people are still "tuning in" to poo poo like the project and reality when there are a billion better things you could be doing with your evening.

I, Butthole posted:

At a Disco Machine show Damian Cowell said they'd discussed the reunion petition at the TISM catchup BBQ when I apologised for blowing up his social media by starting the petition. Eurovision was a wash but he didn't say anything committal about a general reunion so keep the dream alive

If they reunited for a one off show it would be loving bananas and I'd probably die at some point during the night.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The gallery security and speaker behave very differently. If you try to enter the gallery without a jacket on as a man they bar you immediately.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ACAB gently caress em

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

monkeu posted:

These are also invariably the same people who accuse the left of being snowflakes

I enjoy doubling down on boomers online who try to tone police and wish death on them. Really rattles their decaying bones while they tell poor millennials to eat poo poo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's the ark of the covenant between Tone and Bob Santamaria.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kiwi is what New Zealand calls it's people in advertising so the claim that someone calling you Kiwi is discrimination is fuckin stupid.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lol nice change you loving idiot. Turnbull is getting out his dictaphone so an intern can tweet about this.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

They're dumb we get it Kieran.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SMD? Must be some internet kid slang. Scomo Dude? Maybe that's it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Goffer posted:

I’d be curious to know if 50% of the party can vote to change the threshold back to 50%? An emergency evening party meeting doesn’t sound like they’re enshrining it in their constitution.

Yeah it's loving horseshit it can be undone. Imagine being a member of this shitshow Jesus Christ.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The latest Guardian Essential poll shows Labor’s two-party-preferred lead over the government has blown out again to 54% to 46%. A fortnight ago Labor was ahead 52% to 48%, which suggested a tightening in the contest.

Deathhhhhhhhhhh

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hollandia posted:

Re Attenborough - took him long enough.

He has been saying that we need collective action by humans to combat climate change since the mid-2000s. Like evey time he's been asked. His films are entertainment meant to spark a love for the beauty of nature and learn about it. His shows have mentioned climate change in passing, but they are not climate change documentaries. It's like criticising a documentary about pharmaceutical medicines for not screaming YEAH BUT SOME PEOPLE ARE ADDICTED TO FENTANYL every twenty seconds.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

2006:

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/attenborough-climate-change-is-the-major-challenge-facing-the-world-479459.html

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GoldStandardConure posted:

is he campaigning on something other than malthusian beliefs this time? like how long till he paints his skin purple and begins to demand The Great Cull?

He never did. He said consumption and population are the cause which is true. 7 billion humans in a cappo industrial international system of consumption are more damaging than 1 billion. It's not a difficult concept. The true Malthusian would welcome and support climate change because it is the universe handing out redress.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Guess where he wants to stop population growth and stop sending food aid so that they will starve to death. It's not the places with consumption well above people's needs.

So now you're being snide, crossing climate change discussion with comments on famine and populations without farming needing to be propped up by international aid?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Why is famine so common in some parts of Africa

Hurrrnrnnnnnn cApiTAliSm

E: if you have a drought and the state or stocks can't weather it, a lot of people die. That's life. Not to mention the political poo poo going on where the international community was blocking aid due to it being stolen by paramilitary actors.

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 4, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I'm okay with keeping people fed even if it isn't profitable.

Same but I don't wield absolute power over the earth and neither does Attenborough, despite posters thinking otherwise.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Why were famines so common in pre-Soviet Russia, why were they so common in pre-revolutionary China? Both of them you could easily say they had a huge population living beyond their means, but it's clearly not true, it was a matter of development.

They weren't insulated from famine by the machines of climate change. Great point.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Also I like that an individual with no meaningful stake or power in the region going "ho hum they ran out of food because of weather events" is genocide. You're a cretin.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It is. Deindustrialising isn't even a remotely viable solution to climate change. It leads to famine.

No one said that. You think people are saying things, but they're not. You're spooking yourself out.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GoldStandardConure posted:

i like attenborough, and i think he has done a great job raising awareness of nature and the need to protect it etc, but he has always been a bit of a poo poo when it comes to overpopulation

He just lives in the immediacy of situations. So drought and famine are in their immediacy caused by weather. His comments on food aid were literally "that won't fix it" but he doesn't explore the other solutions because he's not an international relations or politics expert. He just deals with the present natural context for famine when he speaks which is not enough food for this many mouths

E: but you can infer from his speaking on climate change that he believes collective activity to reduce carbon is necessary for everyone, since his opinion is that climate change equals total destruction, not just destruction of Savage peoples abroad or whatever you like to attach to his funny accent

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Also where do we magic up millions of tonnes of iron ore and coking coal from to industrialise food production for a billion people without mining and manufacturing it? You'd be expending an amount of energy beyond comprehension.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You Am I posted:

Why does Attenborough have to have an answer?

Like if my car is broken down on the side of the road should I expect him to know what's wrong, and be able to repair it?

Is there something wrong when someone doesn't have the answer, or an answer that doesn't make you happy?

It's the tried and true left wing art of making enemies of friends. Follow the pure ideology, denizen.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zenithe posted:

There is enough food to feed everyone on the planet already.

No there isn't. It's not distributed evenly and probably never will be. It's like saying there are enough rats in England for all the cats in China to eat, if you want to get Attenborough on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Someone please go to this.