Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Epic Games Store

Middleware developer EPIC games has released yet another launcher to throw on the pile of Origin, UPlay, Games for Windows Live and Battle.net. Except this one has a twist: They're going after indies, hard, with an announced 12% cut (compared to Steam's 30% cut) and waiving the 5% cut for Unreal engine if your game uses it.

Jamfrost posted:

Epic definitely has the user base to shake things up.

Maybe.

Maybe Steam will fight back by curating what gets put on their storefront so that indies don't have to fight garbage for exposure. :yayclod:

They've got some big ideas, including handing out 2 games a month, gratis, for an unspecified number of months. This month is Subnautica and Super Meat Boy, universally praised games but not exactly new releases.

Their storefront is kind of a mess right now, no search bar, no wish list, no categories or filtering.

But I will say this - Steam went from 1,500 titles on their platform in 10 years from 2004 to 2014, to over 30,000 titles just 4 years later. The quality control and storefront exposure you used to get on Steam as a publisher is straight gone. Valve made their bed, decorated it with teddybears full of cum, and now they must lie in it.

If Epic goes the Nintendo Switch route and actually curates the games on their service so that indie devs actually get the exposure needed to make their nut selling just on Epic, they could seriously challenge Steam in a hurry, especially if anticipated indie releases (like Satisfactory) pull their Steam pages to take advantage of the gold rush on Epic's front page right now.

Thoughts/Concerns/Fortnite dances?

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Is now a good time to point out how much actual indie studios fuckibg love publishing to switch because they have a curated collection of games and have lots of products while still keeping the valve open only a little?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

As a big-time proponent (it was my GOTY 2007) of JAWS: Unleashed, I gotta say Man Eater looks hella dope.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ChrisBTY posted:

Created an account.
Can't log into account. Keep getting 'wrong account/password'
Can't change my password because my 'change password' email never gets sent.
I have checked my spam folder. Repeatedly.

If you created it with a gmail account, just create another one as "chrisBTY+Epic@gmail" and those mails will also go to your same acct.