Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I thought that Smile was a fun enough movie, but I don't watch much horror. Just that the jump scares were well set up, I liked the core idea behind the story and backstory and I appreciated some of the more slow builds. I particularly liked the phone fakeout where she's receiving a call from her security company and the conversation takes a weird turn where the consultant is like "and is there anyone in the house with you?" "Noooo..." "Are you sure? Turn around." and then as she's turning to look behind her, BOO the phone rings again and is suddenly back on the hook. After it was over I was like "OK, you got me. Well played, though I feel a bit dumb for falling for it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

If Smile is as jumpscared-filled as I've heard, I hope the showing I'm at tomorrow is busy. Crowds getting jumpscared is always fun.

I thought that the jumpscares were well earned and built up well enough that they didn't feel cheap, and it has some neat non-jump creepy moments that help balance the scales.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It's not quite "Horror", more a thriller, but Whatever Happened to Baby Jane is definitely worth looking into. A dark tale of mental illness and jealousy only made worse by severe alcohol poisoning.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

Repo!, Repo Men, Turistas, Coma, 12 Hour Shift,

Am I missing any good organ harvesting movies?

How'd you miss Frankenstein? :P The ultimate organ harvester.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

Smile was more or less predictable. I think if you go in with a gimmick death movie in mind you won't be too disappointed a lot of lulls since it's about *trauma* so they need to let that simmer before really escalating to 100 SMILES A MINUTE. Some others brought It Follows which probably paced itself more, not to mention kind of established their rules better and adherred to them. The psychological battle at the end between her and the presence was interesting, though kind of a shame she doesn't really figure out how to really fight it (or just bad planning/timing with Joel). Thems the breaks when you're in a horror movie I guess

At least they didn't bring back Victor Salva. Christ cancel culture didn't come soon enough for him

I liked the design of the prescence's true form, with the multiple nested smiling mouths that possesses you by climbing into your mouth, adding it to their own face. I thought that that was a fun visual.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

One thing that would have improved Smile in my opinion despite overall liking it was right at the end, instead of mindlessly screaming at the monster that she'd seen before and was already familiar with, she should have been shouting at the police officer ex-bf to NOT come in and just let things happen, only for him to not heed her warning due to hubris. That way she would have done everything she could to defeat it only for the failure to feel more inevitable. I did like that fakeout though as it felt very 1408.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It's more of a comedy about serial killers but it fits the halloween tone - did anyone here see the British dark comedy Sightseers? It's about a woman who goes on a caravan holiday with her new boyfriend to get away from her emotionally abusive mother, only to find out that he's a serial killer who murders people who personally offend him (his first victim in the film is a guy at a nice location that they go to who he catches littering, and when he calls him out he's an rear end in a top hat about it). It's got a very fun arc where she grows less and less stable so becomes a much more dangerous person than him because she's far more unpredictable and selfish so makes dumb mistakes that he'd never make. Disclaimer: There is an animal death, but it's right at the beginning as part of the backstory and it's actually a funny one due to how sudden and ridiculous it is. I laughed more out of shock and "Wait, what the hell?"

Just for those who want to be forewarned: The animal death is the protagonists Dog. She's just knitting on her couch one day with her dog beside her. The dog starts barking when the door goes, as they do, and when it opens the dog tries to jump at the new person, only to impale itself on a knitting needle as the main character has left her knitting to talk to him

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 8, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I hate streaming services that block other countries, because I'm in the UK I can't watch the new hellraiser because Hulu only works in the US.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

worms butthole guy posted:

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh that's what I was afraid of.

God this trend of quippy lines in movies can die asap. We wat he'd Hocus Pocus 2 last night and that was full of them, right down to having a fat friend of the main character make commentary on everything happening

I did like the first bit with the witches for that moment where the teenagers think they are safe watching them from behind a rock, and have the exchange that proves them very wrong:
"Who are they even performing for?"
Winnifred: "YOU!"
Mary: "You!"
Sarah: "Youu!"

That was a cute bit.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like the little moments in the original Frankenstein like him learning how to smoke from the blind man. :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

That kind of reminds me, one of the things in Smile that everyone hated in the theatre I was in was the title card, because it's just randomly flashing for no reason and it's REALLY loving annoying to sit through. Also bad for photosensitive epilepsy.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It was kind of beautiful, about 25 voices at varying times during the card being all "Oh for gently caress's sake, really?!" A chorus of mild irritation.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It could be as simple as "Pain sucks, but after a while you get used to it. Then when the pain stops, the absence of it becomes disturbing, so when it resumes it becomes a relief. So pain and pleasure become the same thing over a long enough period of time as you become dependent on it to feel anything at all."

An alternate much cuter take is that Pinhead is one of those people who whenever you see them they ask you if you've seen their favourite show, and if you haven't they start asking you to watch an episode with them. Pinhead's just like "Oh come on, just 5 minutes in hell, just try it and I'm sure you'll like it and if not I'll never ask again..."

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 9, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I always like weirdly wholesome interactions in spooky stories, like a few of the interactions in The Haunting of Bly Manor on Netflix.

In that series the kids know how the main malevolent ghost works (she stalks the house at regular intervals in a particular path, and anyone in her way gets grabbed and dragged back to her lake with her at the end of the route) so whenever she's out they do what they can to prevent the au pair seeing her. Initially that is just locking her in a cupboard until the ghost leaves, but there's a very cute moment later on where they are keeping her attention on them by claiming to have had a bad dream, so she doesn't see the lady walking behind her, because they know if she sees that ghost she'll get curious and end up too close, so they're just staring past her watching it move on it's route being all "It's OK, just keep looking at us, a few more minutes then we'll go straight to bed....."

Also there are a lot of non-malevolent ghosts that are just victims of the original, and one of them, who is a faceless child ghost who was killed during a major situation where the house had become a hospital, (because he happened to be in the bed of the malevolent ghost on her route) initially spooks the little girl, but then a caretaker advises her to give this apparition a story to help her cope with it. So she gives the faceless boy the face of one of her dolls to use as his own face and starts hanging out with him. It was a very sweet idea. Bly Manor was in general a very sweet story couched in spooky imagery.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think my favourite thing in Seed of Chucky is the joke comparing murder to alcoholism. "You have to face facts Chucky, you have a problem with killing!" "I don't have 'a problem with killing'. I Like a little killing now and then..." Then after she murders Red he's like "HAha, look at little miss high horse, sinking down to my level!"

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 13, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked the modern The Raven with John Cusack. It was a somewhat goofy murder mystery but I found it fun.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Did anyone ever read the Koji Suzuki Ring trilogy, the three books that the original j-horror movies were based on? I found them very entertaining and completely insane, especially the last one. They are called Ring, Spiral and Loop. There's also a decent graphic novel that became a third movie called Ring 0: Birthday that's basically a manga about Sadako Yamamura's life before being murdered and thrown in a well to die.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I used to have a friend at work that would come over so I could show him an interesting movie that he hadn't heard of. We watched a few interesting ones, like Stranger than Fiction and Paranorman. If I end up with someone else who would be willing to come over I'd definitely show off Whatever Happened to Baby Jane and Network, although not on the same night, as they are great.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

Okay now the real fun begins: combine the plots of your fav horror movie and fav non-horror movie.

For me the Firefly Family must go to Russia to beat Ivan Drogo. I imagine it like Rejects except with Drogo as the sheriff. But hes still his boxer character, not a cop. He's just so buff they sent him after the fireflies

I have a good one. Jane Hudson, traumatised after the accident that crippled Blanche, starts getting haunted by the Smile entity. She freaks out thinking that Blanche means to do her harm due to seeing her smiling at her in a terrifying manner, resulting in her locking her in her room and neglecting her to the point of almost death. The entity moves onto the Pianist after he sees an emaciated Blanche strangling herself with her own bindings while he's blind drunk and goes into a panic.

Smile isn't my favourite horror movie, but I liked this synthesis. (Whatever Happened to Baby Jane meets Smile, obv.)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

AMERICAN WEREWOLF OF WALL STREET! I think I've won the game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something I like about the Cenobites in general is that the name isn't a made up word or a type of demon. A cenobite is a type of monk, characterised by living in a community rather than in solitude. The Cenobites aren't traditional demons, they are monks who worship at the altar of sensation, and often go on missions to whoever opens the puzzle box to recruit new disciples to their order. They are almost a perfectly normal religious group, they just take the missionary and the self-flagellation parts to terrifying extremes. I have only seen the original movie though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

...and by being the only place on earth where you can hear the dialog in a Christopher Nolan movie.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something about the Cenobites in general portrayal is that they feel very limited for creatures seeking the extremes of sensation. They only portray it as a binary scale between physical pleasure and pain, pain that's almost entirely just using the sense of touch. Where are the cenobites exploring the limits of other senses, smell, taste etc? It would be interesting to have a few cenobites who are relatively mundane like one who became a chef because it allows him to experience a wide variety of stimuli at once from all extremes, or one who simply travels the worlds he has access to because he wants to see everything that he can that exists, good and bad.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yeah, but they were adapted by other people afterwards. Surely someone should have SOME imagination beyond the original author.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm thinking poo poo like Anodyne 2, where people have become corrupted by something called Dust and all their obsessions become heightened - one of the early levels is a guy so obsessed with food that his entire body has turned into one big tongue. Just a naked weirdo covered head to toe in tastebuds.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A victim sees the Cenobites and throws them off by not even being scared or impressed, just annoyed at their cliches. "So your face and neck resemble a giant vagina, so what? Are you trying to make a statement about female sexuality or just trying to be edgy?" "Ummm..." "Because it's not working either way." Then Pinhead's all "Hey, my hearts all exposed in my chest... if you come with us, I'll let you poke it." "drat it, that's actually REALLY tempting..." "And this, vagina face, is why I'M the leader. :smug:"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

One thing about the Cenobites' offer that strikes me is that pleasure only goes for so long. People want pleasure, do terrible things to achieve it. But it rarely lasts long enough to justify the expense. That's, like, basic human poo poo. So I don't get where the expectation comes from that the Cenobites can dole out pain and pleasure in equal measure. People who summon them will get a tiny bit of pleasure and then a heaping of pain. People might desire one, but they will happily take the other and that is what the Cenobites deliver.

Anyway, I watched The House That Jack Built and while I liked it, it was altogether too close to American Psycho: What Patrick Bateman Thought Should Have Been In The Movie.

I like to think that WE only see the Cenobites in pain mode but there are off screen times where they are enjoying traditionally pleasurable things. We just happen to see Pinhead in a mood where they feel like wearing a lot of leather and flayed skin, but it's just a cyclical thing. sometimes they feel like eating a bowl of nails, sometimes they feel like eating a bowl of ice cream. Of course they know the difference between pleasure and pain, they aren't idiots, they just are equally desensitised to both and so dabble.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

How many of them will be Silent Hill Pachinko machines?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

if you want to play silent hill 2 but havent yet then you should play the enhanced edition because it owns https://enhanced.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/

I'm actually playing it right now on my Silent hill Collection 3-disk ps2 set (2 3 and 4 specifically). Just got the Hunting Rifle at the prison and found the hatch that I need to make a handle for. in the third major dungeon/area.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

For some scenes they're probably fine, like any scene in which a kid gets brutally murdered is probably fun to play for some kids because they get to put on cool makeup and do a fairly intense scene. Scenes based more on tension or emotional abuse are probably a lot harder for them though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also I'm going to beat Silent Hill 2 for the first time tonight, just at the final savepoint.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I do like that the hotel is relatively nice at first, most places are all weird and hosed up but the hotel is just dark, because James feels relatively safe there due to only having happy memories with Mary. Then after the reveal makes him face reality, the hotel completely collapses and becomes more dilapidated and miserable than even the dark hospital, and it's not in the same way. The hospital is scary, the hotel is just sad. The hospital was his invented memory of the evil disease that took Mary from him, so became something hostile in the otherworld, but the Hotel is just empty, because it's his depression caused by the real memory of what he did.

Similarly in his inteactions with the other characters, that depression gives him the context to stop obsessing over his own poo poo as much. Mary's gone and he's not going to find her, so in his last meeting with Angela instead of being all wrapped up in himself and getting defensive when accused of being just like her father, he's finally able to see the otherworld from her perspective and start saying what she needed to hear all along. That nothing was her fault and her parents were the problem. Unfortunately it's too little too late, and she's too far gone for his perspective to matter anymore.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've finished the game now. The ending I got was "Leave".

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Since people have been mentioning spooky TV Shows I thought I'd bring up RL Stines Haunting Hour from the mid-2010s. I only found it a few years ago but some of the episodes really stuck with me, like the opening 2-parter Really You. Something that helps is that whenever characters start behaving illogically, it's made very clear by the acting that it's because of something external, the supernatural thing is literally rewiring their brains to ensnare them. Like in the Creamy Cold Ice Cream episode, it plays the obsession as an actual addiction, complete with obsessive thoughts towards the substance, nothing else seeming good enough, lashing out at their loved ones and selling important things so that they can just get one more hit culminating in actual felony lawbreaking in order to obtain the item (via illegal use of spikestrips). Then it has a great pun to end it all on, after the child catches the van and is forced to replace the last kid who broke in, who is now in his mid-30s and completely mad: "I'm glad you like ice cream kid, because in until you find someone else to replace you... it's ALL YOU CAN EAT!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'll reiterate that Haunting Hour is RL Stines best horror for younger people series, so that's a fun anthology to check out. It's got some weak episodes, but a lot of them were quite fun.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

That reminds me I watched a movie that I didn't realise was Russian and dubbed in English until I watched it, called Broken with a bunch of people who get stuck on a malfunctioning ski lift overnight, suspended over a mountain. It had it's moments.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just got the Hellraiser collection (DVD with the first 3 movies) from CEX due to this discussion and rewatched the original, which I haven't seen in ages. I like all the little references to classic horror like when Frank first comes back to life, and his heart starts beating from under the floorboards as a nod to the Telltale heart. Also the practical effects where he first reassembles himself and it starts with just a torso, arms, and a trachea and esophagus, blindly sniffing around to find it's head to connect to. Great use of puppetry. I think Butterball may be dead because he didn't zap back like the others, he just got crushed by debris, but I'll see if he comes back in the sequel. Which I've never seen, the original was the only one I've seen before. It's kind of funny though that after doing up their new house, no one went into that room across the hall from the storage room. Seems a tad cartoony in a way.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The actual house they used for the exterior shots is still standing too, but it's been divided up into flats now because, obviously, it's London.

Lol, the poor fucker renting Frank's room.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've watched the first 3 Hellraiser movies now, and hope that the reboot doesn't take too much longer to get to the UK.

I liked all three, although the second is definitely the strongest which seems to be the prevailing opinion. I really liked moments like Channard's transformation into a Cenobite with the great line "To think... I hesitated". Also the reveal before that that Julia has been a Cenobite the whole time, or at least working with them, as she whispers to Channard on their tour through the Labyrinth "I have such sights to show you.." I like the Labyrinth in general, it's a cool design for a hellscape and the matte paintings really give a good sense of scale.

The third movie was definitely the silliest, like CD was overly cartoony at times, but it had some good moments too. The whole visual of the destroyed Night club had some inventive ideas, like the one guy with billiard balls forced into his mouth and the other guy with dice shoved into his eye sockets There were some neat practical effects there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The new actor pinhead (to clarify, not Jamie Clayton, the one from the bad sequels) shows up and everyone asks where Doug Bradley's is. The Answer? He's getting his nails done. :v:

I just came up with that pun and was too proud of it not to share.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 22, 2022