Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

This movie was amazing, no pun intended. Beautiful and aspirational in the way you want comic book films to be but they so rarely are. Well written too, which I haven't seen as many people talk about compared to the outstanding visual and sound design. Punchy, again no pun intended, dialogue is so essential for Spiderman stories and this one's got that down pat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Excellent film. Also remarkably lean for how much it's juggling. Most films introducing this many characters feel bloated, but this actually keeps focus.

The script does a lot of superb heavy lifting with touchstones and payoffs, whether they played them straight or for laughs. Like Nicolas Cage-Man with his mystery cube, or Gwen with her aversion to getting close. Except for Spider-Pig—because come on, he's Spider-Pig—they made sure to doll out a few quick but illustrative character-beats to every Spidey and even most of the villains. Hell, I think this Fisk is maybe the most sympathetic portal of that character outside of Netflix Season 1 Daredevil, and they achieved with something like a minute-thirty of screen time.

They even found a clever way to avoid origin fatigue by turning it into a running joke.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 16, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Popoi posted:

The dithering on Spider-Man Noir's clothing doesn't move with him and isn't aligned to his clothes or anything.

Everything about the way he moves is dripping with style. There's this one moment I wish I had a gif of, a static low angle shot of him stepping over a beaten villain and into the camera. It's something like two seconds of animation, but it pops because of how dissonant it is with the rest of that particular scene.

Also, I don't follow the comics, but Miles and Gwen make a very cute prospective couple. Good job on their part laying the groundwork by establishing that she's only 15-something months older than him. Wasn't she like 25 to his 16 going on 17 in the comic?

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 16, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Queen Combat posted:

Aunt May was also an awesome badass. Just enough lines to establish that, without making her yet another main character.

Yeah, they never pause for a direct callout, but the fact that she made Miles' web shooters and knew Dr. Octavius by her first name is a clear nod to her being some kind of badass science wiz in this timeline. Good odds she becomes Q to Miles' Bond in the sequel.

Edit: also, "I like to drink egg-creams, and I like to fight Nazis. A lot." is all the backstory any superhero ever needs.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Dec 16, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Also, maybe I missed it but do they provide any explanation for why Officer Davis is at Fisk's party? I mean, he needs to be there to close the thematic loop on Miles' relationship to his myriad father figures, but it was a little weird how he seemed to just show up.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

I thought he was outside of the building when the supercollider was running, saw that the Fisk Building was glitching out, and I figured he put two and two together and went to investigate

Ahh, yeah that slipped by me, thanks.

Huh, I just noticed that Miles took his mother’s surname. Pro choice on his parent’s part, getting him that good alliteration. Also, wait, is his father’s name really Jefferson Davis, wtf happened there?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

Is Jeff the stepfather of Miles? I noticed they don't share a last name, which could mean a number of things, but I'm not super into the minutiae of comics.

No stepfather would ever, ever pull what he did while dropping Miles off at school. Jeff is the kind of guy who stands at the window in the maternity ward for hours and hours, looking at his new baby boy and crying with joy.

Speaking of, I like how many good dads there are in this film. None of them perfect, but still, good. And it's no mistake that the one genuinely bad father is also the main villain.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Dec 17, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

NmareBfly posted:

I have hope for spinoff movies, but I also suspect there's a good chance they're all straight-to-streaming cash ins without anywhere close to the same budget. Fingers crossed, though...

They've already confirmed plans for a direct sequel focused on Miles and Gewn, in addition to a spinoff centered on Gwen teaming up with two other spider-women. After the success of this film, I doubt either will be relegated to the streaming ghetto.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

How is streaming a ghetto? The Kurt Russell Christmas movie had 20 million views in 1 week.

If that is loosely multiplied by $15 / ticket on average that's $300 million dollars. Theaters wish they had that many eyes.

In addition to what Necrothatcher said, streaming is still viewed as TV Movies for the 21st century by a lot of studios and production companies. I.e. a place where low-budget, underperforming, or troubled projects go to die. You have the likes Netflix and Amazon looking to change that by funding their own stuff to showcase the platform but I think its fair to say that their efforts have so far shown mixed success, at best.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

My nice and nephews are half African-American and Puerto Rican, so this one hit pretty close to home for the whole family, plus they have an uncle Aaron. My wife also has a half-brother named Miles who is also half African-American and Puerto Rican. Just very odd connections all around.

On the topic of Miles mixed ethnicity, I like that they didn't subtitle the Spanish quips between him and the other kids in his neighborhood. It helps convey the breadth of his lived experience and let's audience know it's okay if they're not fluent, they don't need to catch every scrap of nuance to enjoy the story. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I thought it was good for being such a light touch. Another strong example of how the film does a lot with a little in its characterizations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ccs posted:

Yeah I've been listening to this song on repeat.

For the full sequence if you wanna relive it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euUGPQZoHw

That cut to Miles' comic hitting the stack, followed by cutting straight back to the action is so loving good.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Rosalind posted:

If you're wondering if superhero disguises would work IRL, a guy sitting next to me turned to his friend during the credits and asked, "Why did Spider-Woman look so much like that girl at the high school when she took off her mask?"

Wow. Why even pay to see a film if you're going to pay so little attention?

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 19, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I don't think I've ever heard someone say origin stories are objectively terrible, only that it's a well-worn cliché—esspeiclaly for Spider-Man—so if you're gonna do one it better be good.

This movie dodges that complaint by being not just good but probably the best origin story to date. In part, because it recognizes that origin-fatigue is a thing and pokes fun at it. The running "one more time" joke and the way it pays off at the end are both incredible.

Hell, it manages to be an origin and a team-up story at the same time and does both of them better than anybody else.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

I hope they bring back Miles' hoodie/shorts/sneakers costume for the sequel. It makes a great pairing with Gwen's costume especially because Spider-Verse 2 is gonna be Gwen-centric from the sound of it.

The hoodie and sneakers were a good look, but I think the idea is that it's his street cover. The tights are mostly black, so when the hoodie is zipped and his mask is off he can move around more or less "in costume" without being noticed.

I bet Spider-Verse 2 will go for a cotagonists approach rather than giving over the lead to either Miles or Gwen. The spinoff they've also talked about definitely sounds like it'll be her film, though.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

Bullets! His one weakness...

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Browsing some concept art and I love their wardrobe tests for hobo Peter,

Also, I didn't notice this until now, but Gwen wears ballet shoes in costume.

Went back to check the trailer and she even lands en pointe. Add that to the pile of outstanding visual touches, I guess.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Raimi films are good, but I will never forgive them for coving up Willem Dafoe's face. Such perfect casting and they barely let the poor dude do the mugging he was born to do.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

UltraRed posted:

Did anyone else think the animation was choppy in the first part of the movie? The fight scenes were always smooth, nut the parts where it's the first spidey and Miles by himself looked a bit cheaply done. It looked like less that 30 FPS.

It was choppy, and it was entirely deliberate. They animate most of the non-action scene on twos, meaning they hold on any given frame of animation for two full frames, to create the style. Normally it's something used in traditional animation to save on costs, but CGI doesn't work that same way. They literally had to tweak their animation tools to replicate the 2s effect because usually the software automatically generates inbetween frames.

I think it was a good choice. It adds to the comic book aesthetic, and it really fuckin' pops when they shift into 1s for the action scenes.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 29, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I Before E posted:

Like, of all three, Noir is the only one that gets something that could be described as an arc, and while I do agree that they all contribute some stylistic value to this spiderman tech demo, the screentime is spread thin between them to the detriment of their comedic potential.

I don't disagree, Penny especially is really thin on character, but I think it was a fair compromise for the sake of supporting the films base premise of having a bunch of Spider-people together in one place. I don't think that conceit works nearly as well if you only have the three mains with one tack-on comic relief character.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Movie is full of good dads. Jefferson, Aaron, and Peter are all pretty messed up in their own way but they're also all good dads to Miles. Yay for dads.

gently caress, even Kingpin was a pretty good dad right up to the point that he wasn't in a way that mattered.

Edit: and moms too. Rio and May are great. It's always very refreshing to have a superhero who doesn't come from a broken home.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 29, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I think the sexy part just comes along with all the other superpowers when you get bitten, like with vampires. All the film version, at least, appear to have a scene where Peter goes to bed a nebish skinny boy but then wakes up a complete hunk.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

"Digging a hole to pedantry" sounds like Lamps' personal motto.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I love that it's not even the supervillains who paint it as inevitable. When she invites them to take things outside, Noir is the one who says, "we don't pick the ballroom, we just dance."

Thanks Nicolas, way to look out for your alternate dimension aunt.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

And at the very end Miles also turns into a good dad when Peter B is scared to go back to his home dimension and Miles has to give him a pep talk and deliver his own "You won't know when you're ready, it's a leap of faith" speech back to him.

No joke: "You gotta go home, man" was the best-delivered line in the whole movie.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

credburn posted:

Guys, I missed something and my girlfriend could not provide an okay explanation and nobody I talk to seems to have realized it happened or they just shrug it off as "a thing" but it must goddamn mean something.

At the very end of the movie, like -- the very last line of dialogue. Someone, a female voice, says something to Miles. I can't remember what it was -- like, "Hey, how's it going" or something. It wasn't what was said that was especially important, it was the fact that it was said. Miles is listening to his headphones at the time, so I don't think he could have just heard a girl whisper that. So I thought it must have been a memory, like a reflection on something Gwen might have said. But he opened his eyes suddenly, like he DID hear it, and it wasn't just in his head. But who said it? Both Gwen and robot spidergirl were gone by then. I don't think it was his mother. There weren't any other female characters but for the scientist. So -- can someone shed some light on this? What was said, who said it, and how did Miles hear it? I'm not crazy, dammit.

It's Gewn, she found a way to talk to Miles across dimensions. It's a setup for the sequel which will feature them both.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Apraxin posted:

Plus Gwen in the comics has a dimension-hopping device for whenever Marvel needs her to interact with the main-universe characters.

If I recall my barely extant comic book knowledge, she fared a lot better than Miles on that score. Didn't they blow up his entire reality?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

jng2058 posted:

Comic Book Answer: Gwen has a dimensional travel device of her own (which she's presumably using at the end of the film to see Miles) and therefore likely has a greater resistance to the glitch effect since she's a veteran dimension hopper.

In-Film Answer: This is to show that Gwen's universe and Mile's are similar enough to allow them each to spend significant time in each other's universes without fatal damage, unlike Noir, Ham, and Peni who are from universes with major differences (hence the art style shifts) who are glitching sooner and more severely. Peter B makes for an interesting case, but in that Peter B is from at least ten years in the future compared to Mile's universe, its possible that the chronal dissonance combined with Peter's age and lack of conditioning is making him more vulnerable to the glitches despite his world's similarities to Mile's.

Real World Answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ugebzq3juE

They also never established how fast glitching would kill someone, only that it would. Progression from onset to death could take years for all we know.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 3, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

Miller and Lord getting booted off Solo and replaced by Ron Howard, presumably.

More broadly their attempt to transition Star Wars into an expanded universe franchise à la Marvel, a plan the looks to have been completely scuttled at this point.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I posit that May was one of Olivia's professors, and is bitter because Liv going super-villain cost her tenure and/or blew up an important project.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

You could go on, and on. Like a lot of really well-crafted films, nearly every shot contains either setup or payoff.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 23, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Jet Jaguar posted:

Somebody at work posted this article about the "leap of faith" scene and it's really well-written. I got goosebumps just reading it.

I like the tweet thread linked in that article. It describes the original ending to the scene and what we got on screen is so much better. Makes for a good lesson about the pitfalls of subversion for subversion's sake, and really showcases how critical hard-knock editing is for labors of love like this film.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ungulateman posted:

the hot new thing in hollywood is to have interracial representation but never actually deliver on it because it's very easy to dogwhistle in a way that reasonable people infer and move on with their lives while the rabid morons who would boycott your movie if the (it's always a black guy and a white girl) black guy and the white girl kiss won't do anything if they don't actually show them doing anything. i'm tempted to call it cowardice but this is 2019 and people might actually die if you commit to your beliefs so i'm not going to blame them for skillfully skirting the subject.

While this is all 100% true, a kiss at end of Spider-Verse would have felt rushed considering Gewn's arc and where her and Miles relationship was at. Now if they continue to build romantic tension in the sequel and still don't pay it off, then that would be pretty cowardly.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I mean, their relationship is platonic at the end for the sake of time and pacing but there is definite romantic tension—their first encounter was meet-cute 101—and some amount of mutual attraction. I would be shocked if they didn't build on that in any follow-up films.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Which was engineered by Gwwaaaaaanda because she spider-sensed Miles was wrapped up in her dimension hopping somehow.

Sure, but the way that interaction unfolds is like something out of a Meg Ryan movie: embarrassing situation, forced proximity, awkward drama. It's a checklist of what you find in most romantic comedies.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 22, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Kudos to that lady, cause it woulda come off as super forced.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

The thing is Peter Parker we follow isn't even Peter Parker Prime, he's blonde for one thing. He's also not the "main Spider-Man" of his dimension based on the internal movie logic, that would be Miles Morales. In the same way that Gwen is the Spider-Person for her universe, and has a Peter Parker in her backstory who dies.

Yeah, the Peter we see go into the beam is already an alternate dimension version since he's clearly not Peter-616. I guess wuffles idea could work if the baseline assumption is that Spider-Verse is completely disconnected with the rest of Marvel's multiverse, but that's never really been how they've handled things in the past.

This is just a probability fork that lucked into much better writers than most of the movies and comics get to enjoy.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The MSJ posted:

A lot of people apparently salty that Miguel calls the MCU "Earth-199999" in the trailer instead of the Feige-approved Earth-616 like in the MCU movies themselves. LOL

I remember Iman Vellani (Ms Marvel) saying she argued with Kevin Feige about this. It is pretty funny in light of Feige himself complaining the Bryan Singer X-Men movie he worked on did not follow the comics completely.

Wait, hasn't 616 been the main comics' continuity since the 70s or 80s? Why would that also be the MCU continuity?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Because kevin feige and Disney at large are not exactly subtle about their intentions of making the MCU the de facto “real” marvel universe superseding the actual comics, and one of the multiverse MCU movies (either spidey 3 or strange 2) explicitly called the MCU earth 616 as a part of this.

howe_sam posted:

I don't think Feige's trying to usurp anything, it just rolls off the tongue better than 1999999, and has been in Easter Eggs all over the dang place in the films.

I mean, the MCU already supersedes the comics in every metric Disney cares about. It seems like the better solution would be to come up with something pithier than Earth-1999999. One of the good things about 616 is it doesn't sound special. Just pick another number with a good mouthfeel.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Finally got a chance to see this, loved it.

I didn't know about the cliffhanging going in, and it was a minor bummer, but in retrospect, it just means there's more of this story and visual style coming in the future. Maybe, probably. Happy to wait as long as needed or have it never come out if it means the strike can resolve on favorable terms.

Hobie is the best part of the movie. Taking one of the worst tropes (romantic rival) and effortlessly twisting it in such an amazing and loveable way was pure genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Wild. That can't all be deliberate, right? There was that story posted a while back about Lord loving by production by constantly tinkering with the film. Is he still doing it post-release?