Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Oh, this is neat! Sorry I didn't see this thread until now, but I'd be happy to join in the party when a spot becomes available. I do have PMs, and I've also played this game extensively (looking forward to the first expansion in the spring!)

This is a great format and it's been interesting to read along. I'll be following this thread for sure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Oh whoops. My internet went down earlier while I was working on a response, and I forgot to finish the post. Anyway!

Since the Mindthief and Brute are acting before the guards, they can attack them before they put up the Shield/Retaliate buff. This also means they can attack without fear of getting counter-attacked, as long as they don't move up too far.

Mindthief should use Perverse Edge to move to C8 and attack the guard with TMW for an Attack 3.

The Brute would like to cleave two guards, but this will result in him getting immobilized by an archer. This would leave him open to taking a bunch of attacks next round. Instead he should move to A8 or B8 and attack one guard for Attack 3.

Cragheart can stay in place and attack guard #3 for 4 with Massive Boulder. That guard will have Shield 1, but the adjacent guard will still take 1 damage (the splash effect from Massive Boulder is unaffected by shields).

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

I should point out that you don't HAVE to open the door ASAP. The goal is to kill 15 enemies, and it might be easier and safer (though, more boring) to take down a steady stream of normal guards, rather than hunting for whatever unknown enemies might be waiting for you in the other rooms.

Not to dissuade anyone - just pointing out the possibility!

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

If you are POISONED (or WOUNDED) and you try to heal, you'll only get rid of the negative status (or both, if you have both); you won't actually gain any HP back until the status has been removed.

Slight correction - you still heal the normal amount if you are just Wounded and not Poisoned.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Narsham posted:

That's where I wanted to go; evidently I can't phone in my moves without making mistakes.

I'm unlikely to beat the guards on initiative and we may well see Bullwinkle get poisoned again (or possibly get daggers thrown at him). I am inclined to disarm 4&6 this turn, which will relieve some of the pressure; I can either try to beat the slower guard actions (50 and up) or deliberately go slow to guarantee no attacks next turn from them.

Ripley, are you planning to fall back, advance, or basically stay where you are?

The Brute can avoid any chance of getting poisoned this round if he plays his fastest card. This would also allow you to either use the Earth for an AOE attack/muddle, or just throw a boulder at 'em.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Couple small errors - you wrote that Rocky is acting on initiative 53, but entered him as 77 on the app (it won't make a difference this round unless someone opens a door). Also it's spelled "Warding Strength", and a few times in previous updates you wrote "Shield 1" for Master Splinter when she was attacked, but the Mindthief has no shield (didn't affect the math, just a typo).

As Reik said, great turn for the Brute. It's also good for the Mindthief, as she can safely loot, then move back towards the group and heal without much risk of taking high damage.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Bottom of Perverse Edge is a ranged attack, so Splinter should've attacked at disadvantage (doesn't really matter now since no damage was done).

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

If the group decides to go to the Warehouse, you won't actually do a road event, since it's linked to (and physically located inside of) Gloomhaven.

e: voting on previous page

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

You could run a road event, and apply it to the next scenario that isn't linked to Gloomhaven. It would be slightly different than the actual campaign rules, especially once we start hitting retirements and shuffling the deck, but would keep you from having to slow down the pace of the LP.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

Yes and no. We've voted to always go back to Gloomhaven even if the next scenario is linked...but in this case, we're already in GH. I would go for the "always run Events for extra content", since it also makes things easier for the update cycle. But if anyone has a strong opinion against it, I could do what Phelddagrif is suggesting and keep this vote for the next time we'd be running into a Road event.

It seems like people prefer to do a road event every time, which is totally fine! I didn't consider that the format of the LP makes the rule for road events difficult to handle. I'd say go for it and just run events every scenario so people can see more of the content.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Omobono posted:

I think I'm going to regret asking this question.
How many Wolf and Vermling Scout standees are there in the box?

6 hounds, 10 scouts.

Another note about Retaliate: it DOES trigger even if the monster is stunned, so don't rely on that to avoid damage.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Basically, if you perform an "Attack X" ability against a monster, and it survives and is in range, it will retaliate.

If a monster suffers damage from anything other than an Attack, it will not retaliate.

So for example, a monster hit by Dirt Tornado will retaliate if it's in range to do so, since you're hitting every target in the AOE with an Attack ability. On the other hand, monsters hit by the splash damage from Massive Boulder do not retaliate, since the splash is an effect of an Attack against a different target, so those monsters were not hit by an Attack themselves.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Reik posted:

Bullwinkle should probably use boots and move to K2 instead. He'll still only get attacked by 3 enemies, but we can move dog 5 to H2 which will make the bite on Splinter not include the +2 and move dog 6 to D2 which will make the bite on Rocky not be at +2 as well.

No, that won't work. If dog 5 moves to H2, then the spot where the Brute is currently standing will be open, so dog 6 will move there and attack the Mindthief for 4.

That said, I've checked a bunch of options, and that seems to be the safest play. The only difference would be moving Hound 5 to the Brute's current spot, so Hound 6 would have to attack the Cragheart (for 4).

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Reik posted:

Wouldn't the position of dog 6 be up to the players to decide because both hex D2 and F2 require moving 3?

Sorry, got pulled away due to work, and it looks like the discussion has moved on to a different plan, but I wanted to reply to this, as it's a commonly misunderstood part of monster focus.

If the spot where the Brute is currently standing is empty on hound 6's turn, and the Brute is farther away/surrounded by hounds, then hound 6 will focus the Mindthief:

Least movement to make an attack? 3 (the hexes in front of Crag/MT)

Distance from the targets? 4 for both.

Fastest initiative? Mindthief

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Stamina Potion would only get back Provoking Roar. You have to use it on your turn, and Eye for an Eye only does anything while it's in your active area.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

With any luck (read: Bullwinkle killing Scout #1) y'all should be able to get some pretty decent damage on the boss this round.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

:actually: this shouldn't be too bad. You're all going first and unless you all miss you should be able to reduce their numbers to a safe amount.

This is true, though you'll need to actually kill the scouts for this, and not just rely on disarms and stuns. Those will protect you during the Scouts' turns, but not during the Boss's.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

MVP were those hounds. They were good dogs.

Option A. As hilariously dickish as Option B is, given the state the city is in, I doubt it has much in the way of valuables. Better to keep the people safe.

Shopping. I concur with Battle Axe for our Mindthief. However, I think Rocky should buy nothing. For one thing, much of his damage is "true" damage which ignores shields anyway, so the Piercing Bow is less useful than for, say, a Spellweaver. Also, there's a very, very useful purchase he'll be able to make relatively soon that costs a lot of gold, so it's a good idea to save up now.

Also, if we end up going to one of the boss scenarios next, then everyone should donate to the Sanctuary. Otherwise, get the Battle Axe for the Brute, too.

Next scenario. Either 11 or 12 is fine with me. (I don't envy That Italian Guy the bookkeeping he'll have to do for those!)

Phelddagrif fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 9, 2019

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Right, so this scenario... It's tough! Not gonna lie.

One thing we'll need to make sure we do is leave ourselves enough cards to take on the boss. Try to avoid losing cards unless absolutely necessary - we've got a long road ahead of us!

This first room isn't too fancy, but Bullwinkle and Splinter will need to be aware of the possibility of the Bones taking up all the melee spots. I'll just be doing some ranged damage to the group and setting up Earth for use next round.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Also, since it may not be obvious, because the undead are our allies this time, we can freely move through them (and vice versa). For example, I could Move 2 from D2 to B2.

I'm not intending to move this turn though - just going around the middle of the round, and tossing out a small heal after my attack to whoever needs it.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Sounds good to me. Not quite how I was expecting the round to go, but this works.

I'll Boulder the archer and move to C3. The guards will move to B2 and B5 since the bones had faster initiative, so we won't take any hits this round.

edit: I assume we'd prefer the trap go on B3? Only so that Splinter has an easier time moving forward. If you're jumping it doesn't really matter.

Phelddagrif fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 13, 2019

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Reik posted:

Bullwinkle is going to go at average speed and go in to the next room and clown on some dude.

edit - Actually I think I'll set up an AOE, healing can wait for next round.

Phelddagrif fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 14, 2019

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

I'd assumed he was going to stun something.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Wow. Okay. This works fine, actually.

If Splinter stays on the door and does NOT turn invisible, she can immobilize one of the normal guards. If she does, she'll only take an attack from one normal guard:

Elite guard 3 will focus Living Corpse 4 and move to B5.
Elite guard 5 will focus Living Corpse 6 and move to A4 (the corpse is 3 hexes away to Splinter's 4)
One of the normal guards won't move, the other will move to attack Splinter.

This will leave a spot open for Bullwinkle to charge through and wreck something. I won't be able to effectively use Tornado, but I can just set up Backup Ammo so it's fine.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Absolutely, though the Corpses getting killed isn't a bad thing. They are limited to 6 figures, so every one that stays alive is one that can't get set up in future rooms.

The same is true of the guards - there are currently 5 6 on the map, so if we were to open the next door now, at most 1 none would get placed. It's probably a good idea to at least leave the elite guards alive as we move to the next room.

v My bad, thanks!

Phelddagrif fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 15, 2019

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Ok, if you're doing that, then I'll just go back to my original plan, which was to move into the room and Tornado both normal guards.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

That's what I'll be doing, anyway!

Slaan, please let me know which guard you're immobilizing so I can give exact orders to TIG, thanks!

Phelddagrif fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 15, 2019

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

TIG, I apologise, but the guards did not act correctly. Elite guard does focus Corpse 4 and move to B5. However, guard 5 does focus Corpse 6:

First check for focus is the least movement to make an attack. It needs to move 3 to attack either the Corpse 6 or the Mindthief.

The second check is which target is physically closer. Corpse 6 is standing 3 hexes away from the guard, and the Mindthief is standing 4 hexes away.

Only if the physical distance were tied would it look at initiative for a tiebreaker.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

It's not a problem! Thanks for going back to fix it. :)

I'm just planning on going as early as I can this round, to run up and punch an archer.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

I just can't make it all the way to the wall, so I'd need a spot between the archers in order to attack effectively.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Reik posted:

Going to be moving to A3 with the bottom of leaping cleave and disarming elite guard 5 so he doesn't poison me.

Sounds great; I'll move to B3 and attack archer 3, setting it up for you to kill it next round.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Do we want to open the door next round? Since we have a bunch of enemies on the field right now, it could prevent a lot of them getting set up in the next room.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Reik posted:

I'm going to be hitting archer 3 and 1 pretty hard next turn, what would you think about punching archer 5 instead? Might be easier to clean up next round that way.

That's fine with me; I'd just figured you'd want it weaker to get a kill, but it's probably more efficient for me to attack 4.

If we're good with opening the door, then next round I'll burn a loss card to jump past the archers as early as I can.

Phelddagrif fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 17, 2019

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

One more small correction: The Mind's Weakness adds 2 to Splinter's attack, so Guard 4 should be at 1 HP.

That was a painful round! I'm not that miffed about missing Archer 4, though I'd been hoping for a +0 or -1 (I want it alive until the door is open).

Appreciate the healing Reik! I'll be doing a heal myself after opening the door, and depending on what happens this round, I'll queue up either another heal or a melee attack the following round.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Slaan posted:

How early will you be opening the door? I've only got high initiative cards left so i need to know if i should be trying to deal damage and killing guards if the door is open or just getting into position for later

As early as I can, so around the first third of the round.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Reik posted:

You can always choose to long or short rest, you're never forced one way or the other.

Would you have to use a loss card to get there?

Still has Scurry.

And yes, if you have zero or one card in your hand, you must either short rest or long rest, but it's your choice which type you do. (And you're free to rest with more cards, too)

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

quote:

One more small correction: The Mind's Weakness adds 2 to Splinter's attack, so Guard 4 should be at 1 HP.

Just making sure you saw this from last page, TIG.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Hahaha holy poo poo. The past few days I was worried the archers would draw their immobilize card and screw everything up. I didn't realize they'd be juuuuust slow enough that I'd barely outpace them!

Okay yeah, healing myself for 4 and opening the door. Crater will deal 1 damage to any ally standing next to me when I start moving, but I'll probably queue up a heal card for next round, depending on how much damage everything does this round.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

Active Players I'm trying to find a way to make this update work, but I think we may have to split this Step B into two:
Part 1) Bullwinkle acts > Rocky acts up until the door is opened
Part 2) Rocky finishes acting > Splinter acts

Unless both Phelddagrif and Slann are planning on inflicting violence on enemies already present in the current room and don't intend to interact with whatever is in the next one - which is probably difficult to know in advance, if you don't know what to expect.

Splinter goes before me.

I think we can probably do this update in one go, since I'm the last player to act. After the door opens I intend to move back a hex to B1so both archers take damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Another option you've got (not saying you should, just that it's a possibility) is to use Submissive Affliction as a basic Move 2, then use the top of Scurry to move to B4 or B5 and attack the guard. This puts you far enough away that guard 1 will move towards the skeletons without you needing to go invisible.

Not sure whether or not that interferes with your plans for next round, just throwing it out there as an option.