Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
brad shoemaker is a human yawn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
valkyrie profile got away with its gigantic cast because your party members were also basically salable resources, you had to kick one up to valhalla every so often or daddy odin would get very upset

this encouraged a semi-rotating cast where you had a couple of reliable standbys along with whatever schmuck you were leveling up to send upstairs that chapter

indivisible just seems to be glutted with characters and short on reasons to use any of them

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hearing woolie die inside at That Scene in death stranding was highly gratifying

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shinji2015 posted:

I subscribe to the fan theory that he's only being kept around in case one of the kids needs to be killed off, mostly because I want him to die horribly.

I mean, jfc, the first thing he says to a little girl upon meeting her is "I can't wait to see you in ten years!"

every ladder needs a bottom rung

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shinji2015 posted:

I'm pretty biased towards TTYD, just because it's one of my favorite RPGs of all time, but seeing what they were able to get away with in it and then looking at Origami King, it's just... disappointing, which isn't fair to OK. It looks like a solid game, but everything I've seen from it just feels like they're running as far from TTYD as they can.

that's true of origami king but it's not always a bad thing - Bobby is pretty much a cheeky jab at the fans' distaste for changing out all the uniquely designed sidekicks in favor of total generics, and part of the joke is that he's one of the most most charming and developed companions in the whole series. certainly more so than anyone in TTYD, the only one i remember liking in that game is my boy Koops

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dabir posted:

Koops was an absolute nothing, less personality than the horny cloud. And imagine not liking Goombella.

yes but he was my absolute nothing, and i liked his hoodie. iirc he was also very helpful in the Pit of 100 Trials

goombella i remember little about, but i was remiss in not mentioning my rowdy green dinosaur son

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i named mine yoster

just wish i'd been able to fit the apostrophe in there

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Oh my god this Later Alligator game Woolie is playing is adorable (and really funny.)

i know it's very short but it's a crime how little recognition it ultimately received, this thing deserved to be an undertale-tier darling

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
can't find the exact twitch stream episode but he does get the gun back, along with the bullet in the fishing village hut

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
woolie's DE twitch stream made it to That Check in the church and you could see the entire chat chewing its knuckles as it waited for the roll. he succeeded, despite only having 2 authority points. lucky, lucky

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

yeah its a very mean spirited check to fail. It's the one odd thing in the game where i don't know what I was supposed to feel. Or how to interpret it thematically. Like why does Harry just lose it in that very specifically racist manner even if you've avoided all other chances to be racist? Why at that moment of almost triumph?

failed authority checks are some of the most dangerous of the lot because they make harry do insane, self-destructive poo poo in an attempt to gain dominance over the conversation. usually that consists of screaming meltdowns or suicide attempts, but in kim's case, harry's misfiring brain remembers that racial slurs are a sore spot for kim and goes "fire off the nastiest slur you can think of, that'll get him on the back foot"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Forgall posted:

She was friends with Mary at the hospital, who probably mentioned Silent Hill.

according to supplementary materials she made her way to the town by hitching a ride with eddie of all people, hence their seeming familiarity with each other at the bowling alley

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 14, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
silent hill 3’s script may be the worst of the OG quadrilogy but the character models sell it

god they were so good

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I used to roll my eyes at the people who said "The bad voice acting is what makes the characters great in SH2!" I just wanted the game to have flaws, and that it was okay to have them. I came to appreciate the original dub when I finally heard the redubbed voices in the HD Collection where the lines sounded so clean and professional that they actually sounded as offputting as the original dubs. I then came to appreciate the flaws of the original voice acting, where the characters' hesitation and mis-matched emotions sound a little bit more like what real people would sound like in a horrible situation. It's sort of a cool split to think about sometimes.

laura bailey is a better angela, which is doubly impressive because angela was one of the most memorable performances from the original

the rest, yeah, way too clean

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it gets better from there. he tries to do a pacifist run and makes mr frog Unhappy

still hasn’t beaten that fight as of his latest twitch ep

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Alitur posted:

So, people who played Everhood, is Woolie accurate in his assesments during the podcast? Cause if he is, wow. Yikes. Very much a case of "sometimes things are better off without a story".

a key recurring figure in everhood is literally a Buddha, woolie’s not the smartest lad

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Alitur posted:

So, after reading about it more (I ain't got reaction time to play the game), it seems that the message is still somewhat bungled, even if it is not inherently YIKES? Like, while it is an uncharitable reading, but it is not completely unreasonable to say that Everhood supports killing your grandma on life support even if she says no*. I am pretty sure that it's unintentional, but it does seem to be a genuine flaw in the story.

*Mind you, as someone who supports euthanasia, I am of opinion that if grandma wants to die, than let her die. It's just that the final opinion is hers.

the only bungling happens in the presentation (the weird dialogue and mostly unnecessary fourth-wall player-referencing stuff), not the concept itself. the Everhood is a bardo whose residents have all become hopelessly stagnant and/or violently insane from their time spent there, and part of that stagnation is their unwillingness to move on, whatever reason they might give. rasta beast is one of the most level-headed people there, but from another perspective he's among the worst because his reluctance to die is based in compassion for those around him, so he's harder to shake out of it than most

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dabir posted:

So it's more like exorcising grandma's ghost?

it's closer at least. ghosts in a lot of folklore are defined mainly by repetition - stuck to single places/actions/motivations, with deleterious effects on themselves and everyone around them. everhood's residents are in the same boat

it seems like the main takeaway re: woolie is that christian perspectives on life/death don't mesh very well with buddhist ones

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
in the latest elden ring stream, woolie manages to miss Iji in Ranni's tower

the man is twenty feet tall. he takes up a quarter of the drat room!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I know that streamers can be somewhat oblivious in general just because it’s hard to concentrate on both playing a game and shooting the poo poo but there is something fundamentally askew in the way woolie receives and processes information

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yes, kai leng is both fake and fail

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it’s a bad series

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the genophage was the result of a long line of poor decisions from all parties involved and the main question the game asks isn't "was it in the right then" but "is it in the right now"

larger galactic civilization raised up the krogan for cheap infantry and then stomped them back down into the mud, and the main reason the genophage persists is that everyone's really nervous about what might happen if they lift their boot back up

the salarians uplifted the krogan out of desperation without giving the question of "what next" enough thought, the krogan started forcibly colonizing other territories while telling the resident populations "what are you gonna do about it," and the turians decided that hitting the big red button would be ideal if it ended the war decisively. the only way the only situation resolves well is if cooler heads like wrex and eve are allowed to prevail, because at the time of the rebellions it seems like krogan leaders were primarily vicious maniacs like wreav and they've mostly gotten themselves killed in the interim

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 10, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I’m trying to follow the logic there and it’s making me smell toast

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Big Scary Owl posted:

Woolie and Reggie just saw the best room in the entire Silent Hill series (if you know you know)

those awful slurping sounds

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

I've never played Silent Hill so I don't know I just know 4 is the one with the haunted apartment.

there's a room in SH3's hospital with a wall-length mirror and a complicated environmental hazard. it doesn't exist to do anything but frighten and kill you, in that order. it also locks you in when you enter until the hazard starts doing actual damage and things get properly spooky, so pretty much everyone who wandered into it has it etched into their memory

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
paragon shepard’s arguments in that mission honestly aren’t that convincing. mordin’s fully aware of the death toll and has spent a lot of mental bandwidth rationalizing the work he’s done. angrily gesturing at a corpse on a table isn’t exactly an ironclad rebuttal

if that mission has a weakness it’s that mordin really isn’t vulnerable to counter-argument until you reach maelon, at which point the time for discussion is over

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
checked his youtube channel and oh look, it's the worst character platinum studios ever made

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I mean Loki

L U V

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
and any bad characters in babylon’s fall would fade into the background badness, loki is all the worse for the contrast

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rody One Half posted:

You know enough of this kamiya stuff. Let's turn to something less controversial like rooster tee-

https://twitter.com/KdinJenzen/status/1581345151821021184?t=KY37fcqPbiwxSWTrdv3-Nw&s=19

quote:

From February 2013 until November 2013, I went entirely unpaid for all of my contract work. I was never given the payment promised for anything I did. When I was hired full time and I brought that up, I was told that “it’s been so long already, it’s not really a big deal is it?” And then the subject was never brought up again.

this is like 3% of the way into the post and it keeps getting worse from there

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Sutherland apparently voiced a whole lot more than what we got, it just didn’t make the final cut

but yes the situation isn’t comparable, hale doesn’t have enough name recognition to justify replacing taylor for that reason alone

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
to my understanding you’re primed to dislike the ending anyway because Bayonetta 3 is just one long series of Bayonetta failing to accomplish anything and getting her rear end kicked, which is tedious at the best of times and completely antithetical to the character

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
definitely not regretting skipping bayo 3 right now. why is it so dour? why is every enemy a teal-accented iPod monster?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

The you can tell different corners of the games were handled by a bunch of different writers, some of whom had more self-awareness and wanted to add in more nuance than others.

patrick weekes handled all the tuchanka stuff and made several posts on the PA forums indicating he was not at all pleased with how the final mission and ending were handled

one of the other posters there ratted him out to bioware and he got censured for it, i don't think he posted again

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
every time i skim the bayo 3 playthrough it's either a lengthy platforming section or a fight against enemies so big that bayonetta looks like a smudge on the screen. at least astral chain was able to keep your character visible

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

Woolie got to the end of Bayonetta 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIscL-Bjsq4

e: god this whole endboss/ending sequence is unbearable in so many ways, the stuff with luka is the least of it

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 22, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
and the strider design sucks. it sucks! it's too busy and that stupid butterfly cape's physics are busted and ruin the model's silhouette

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
what gets me is how Platinum basically cheated to put Viola in the driver’s seat. the contrast to Nero is obvious - people weren’t to hot on him at the start either but at least there was never any doubt he was the scrappy upstart to Dante’s seasoned professional, and his stripped-down gameplay matched his inexperience while still being satisfying. Viola sucks to play by most accounts, she’s a pratfalling schmuck outside of combat, and Bayo 3 plays her up by drastically lowering the established protagonists’ competence whenever possible. this does not endear her to the audience very well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
bayonetta always flaunted her power/sexuality against an enemy cast that was majority male or male-coded, so it’s hard to see her having no interest in guys at all. it is difficult to platonically grind your heel against a fallen dude’s scalp while calling them a bad boy. add that to Luka being her favorite suitor/chew toy from the beginning and it wouldn’t have been hard to play this off right, but bayo 3 did not do that. instead it made him into a whinging werewolf and the interdimensional Ur-Boyfriend while flicking Jeanne away like a paper towel