Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
So, on December 17th, 2018, the Super Best Friends were no more. Due to business and personal disagreements, Matt, Woolie and Pat split up, and the entity once known as the Super Best Friends Zaibatsu became a thing of the past. Many tears were shed, many (one) thread(s) were (was) closed. The Zaibatsu is dead. Long live the Zaibatsu.

However, not all is over. All former members of the SBF are still around and still producing their own content. Let this be a thread for people to talk about whatever weird kaiju tangent Matt goes on, or whatever incredibly stupid poo poo Pat does on stream, and for people that weren't familiar with their solo content to...well, get familiarized with their solo content, I guess?

Matt McMuscles

Matt's new home is the the Matt McMuscles Flophouse.More so than the other guys, he's focused on long-form analysis and reviews of poo poo Matt Likes. Matt is very much interested in 90's and early 00's stuff, plus giant rubbery monsters from the 70's. He loves Godzilla, Predator, Spawn, and lovely horror games, and will mix up highly well-produced retrospectives on his favorite games with LPs of some incredibly stupid garbage. He streams every now and then at https://www.twitch.tv/matthewmcmuscles, but as of right now it seems he'll be doing non-live stuff as his focus.

Patrick "AngriestPat" Boivin

Pat is an angry-rear end 5'1" ginger Canadian that yells a lot and doesn't give a gently caress. He's focusing on streaming after the breakup, either solo or with his girlfriend, PeachSaliva. It's a very loose experience, with Pat playing stuff that he wants to play, getting into 30min long arguments with...well, anyone that's available, and being constantly proven wrong by what we'd like to think is his own Stand, [C R A Z Y T A L K ]. Either that or the Universe itself. He's into grindier games and Western RPGs, but we'll see what he's gonna focus on now that he's streaming solo.

Woolie Madden

Woolie loves fighting games, Kirby, short-haired punchgirls and Reboot. He's had his own personal channel,WoolieVersus, for a while now, a mix of archived stream content, solo LPs and...well...high-quality posts. Woolie's stuff is pretty much a mix between Matt's high-production stuff and Pat's "let's do whatever comes to mind now" approach to content, being closer to the former's in my own opinion. He's also adventured further off the LP territory, picking the brain of the fighting game community and even doing some tabletop stuff. His latest endeavor is a podcast called Woolie Will Figure It Out, about creative endeavors and issues concerning planning and executing them.

And last, but not least...

The Rising Superstar Liam

Liam left the group a while before its breakup, for personal reasons, but he still streams his own content at https://www.twitch.tv/risingsuperstream and archives it here. Liam plays some pretty off-the-beat games, mostly Japanese ones, and his streaming style is very chill, with good chat interaction and light discussion about current gaming news. Unless he's interested in a big release, don't expect him to pick it up, but if you wanna see someone play dumb card games or be very much engaged into things he loves, he's your guy. For spoiler's sake I won't link it here but his reaction to Nier Automata's Ending E is great.

but this is the podcast subforum, all of that poo poo ain't about a podcast!!

Do not worry. The defunct Super Best Friendcast will be replaced by a new podcast, Live From Castle Superbeast, hosted by Pat and Woolie. We still haven't had an episode after the split air, but it should be pretty much the same thing as the old one, minus Matt. So expect long tangents about animes they're watching and people getting hype over fighting game news.

Anyway, please reminisce about better times or talk about the new bullshit these four dickheads are putting out here.

Dias fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
also yell at me if I should add stuff to the OP or whatever

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rhonne posted:

Who got custody over Zubaz?

He's Yacht Club Games' problem now. That's on them.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
smol pat and tall pat are both very cursed

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hey, if you guys have any suggestions for SBFP LPs people should watch and why, please post them here and I'll edit my second post accordingly. I have some ideas but I'll be traveling for Xmas and it might take me a while to properly format stuff.

I also need to do a second pass on the OP.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ApeHawk posted:

I mean, Liam and Matt were best friends first.

So it's more like "Original Best Friends Play."

Lore states that Pat and Woolie were actually the Original Best Friends, Matt and Liam just really hit it off when Liam became a part of the channel.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Wasn't Pat doing the thing where he'd take a break to read donations?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
To be fair, Fate...is bad.

Okay, I personally don't know if it's bad, but every time people recommend it every single fuckin' series and spin-off comes with a list of caveats attached to them.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Big Scary Owl posted:

The boys need to check out this game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/955050/Bright_Memory__Episode_1/

Basically first person DMC developed by just one dude that came out today. Take a look at the gifs in the steam page.

quote:

The full version will add the following:
More guns.
Kill the enemy's execute interaction.

I'm in.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Woolie Katamari is fun. His intro Katamari should have a garbage can head tho. Missed opportunity.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Is there a Goon LP or an existing Goon-recommended LP of the game? Just watched Woolie's episode and it really sounds amazing, but I am both impatient and don't want to wait, plus given how complex and variable the gameplay sounds, I imagine that watching two different LPs would still yield two pretty different game experiences.

It's an RPG Maker game so you can play it yourself if you want to, really. Check the LP Archive to see if anyone did it here, but I don't think any of the goon favorites ever tried that one out.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, you don't need any editing to say, hey, spoiler alert before dropping spoilers. Not that the Culprit poo poo isn't dumb, mind you.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Woolie's stuff is cool but he's very down on himself lately, I hope he figures that out too. He seems to be more proactively shutting down stuff that bothers him too, so that's good.

I don't mind Matt's longer videos, but yeah, he still needs to find his voice as a long-form critic/writer, especially when delivering his scripts. I like him better doing that than doing LPs, so I hope he sticks with those, honestly.

pat please stop playing wrpgs i beg you

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

And MK11 has been delayed for thirty minutes, so now Matt is gonna tell us dumb MK lore for those thirty minutes to fill in time.

I tuned into massive Scorpion honkers so it seems like this reveal stream was catered towards Matt.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Improbable Lobster posted:

He has that internet disease where you think you're smarter than people when you're actually just a bad listener

Ah, the GB thread.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hey, the Persona part of last week's podcast was actually pretty okay.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, if you guys played Rising Thunder you'd understand why you don't wanna simplify inputs a lot, but that would assume that people that bitch about motions in fighting games actually play them, so...

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Motions help balance powerful attacks and create design space in a fighting game. If you take them away, a lot of interesting design decisions have to either disappear or be tied to extra mechanics, like Geiger's meter in Fantasy Strike. Most "simplified" fighting games end up just adding armor to a poo poo-ton of moves to make up for how oppressive zoners can be when you literally only have to press a button to AA you. Grapplers end up being armor characters with a slightly better throw game. You take away the option of having high-execution, high-reward designs like C.Viper or C-Roa.

Another thing people that don't play fighting games and talk about extinguishing motions forget: you need controller real estate for all your moves. When you add a new button for X, you're ever more limited when it comes to special options or normal attacks. Then you end up with Street Fighter 2 but with only three or two normals, because you have a throw button, and three special buttons, and a super button and a whatever gimmick your game got button...

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Simplify Fire Emblem by setting fire to the franchise and just telling people to go play dating sims

imho

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Improbable Lobster posted:

Basically the same as it used to be but with no Matt

So frankly the same it's ever been.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Today, on Pat's Twitter:

Patrick Boivin has trouble understanding the concept of variance, risk-assessment, and why people might enjoy it.

Oh, also, those Smash CPU tournaments are pretty dope.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mel Mudkiper posted:

how in the tyool 2019 people still fall into the trap of arguing with pat about stuff is amazing to me

the dude once ended an argument with "you are right, but I don't care"

Like, his entire charm is having weird arbitrary positions and refusing to concede them.

Yeah, when Pat opened with "why do people enjoy this game, it has CARDS in it" you already know there's no intelligent debate to be had there. Years of SA (and my younger brother TBF) have made me kinda impervious to that poo poo.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There's no intelligent debate to be had about game mechanics ever. Its a purely subjective experience and the only thing you can do is call the other person a dumb rear end in a top hat. Like, there is no winning the tank controls argument rationally which is the whole reason I just immediately poo poo-posted a response. Tank Controls, Card Mechanics, etc. are all matters wholly of preference. There is a philosophy around that preference that can be argued, but you cannot argue for the mechanic itself rationally.

I mean, there is, there's actually a ton of things you can debate, but if your discussion starts from "I don't like it" instead of "was it a necessary implementation" or "was it done well" or "can it be changed without changing how the game works", then you're going nowhere.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Liam is playing KH3, for those that wanna experience that game thru the pure eyes of a sweet boy.

Also Woolie completely threw away his past and is gonna play BLAZBLUE on stream anytime now. His pizza was late tho.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Blockhouse posted:

If the clip about the Broly movie from the podcast Woolie posted on his channel is indicative I basically never want to hear them talk about anime ever again

woolie and pat talking about dragon ball is goku crying and i feel like fuckin' og broly now

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Woolie was fine but Pat's bit about "but the number tho" wore thin very fast. Also they got the numbers wrong anyway.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mel Mudkiper posted:

for a thread for fans of the (former) best friends a lot of people in this thread seem to not like their stuff very much

It's a tenet of the SBFP community to talk poo poo about the SBF.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Woolie's been putting out a lot of good content on his channel and streams, on a bright note. The Super Turbo stream was fun because they had a legit top player around explaining poo poo and making Woolie and Reggie look bad.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Woolie backing the gently caress down from Pixies because it wasn't a Punchghost after answering he's "not quick to throw in the towel" is hilarious.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mel Mudkiper posted:

yeah I tried Giant Bomb but they are too smart and reasonable

The standards set by the SBF are high indeed.

(The Beastcast is usually better and it has Dan Ryckert as a Pat-like force)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Neo_Crimson posted:

Matt does occasionally, he just put out a video of some awful Nina Williams Beat 'Em Up.

Matt is playing bad games, Woolie is playing bad fighting games (and good ones) (basically he got custody of both FNF and SMS).

edit:

https://twitter.com/MelloMakes/status/1091151442260516864

watch woolie damacy

Dias fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 1, 2019

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Jan is great!

But yeah, the issue with GB West is that it's a bunch of low-key people with some being actively low-energy (Jason and Brad). Ben is underrated, he pairs really well with almost everyone there, but his sense of humor isn't for everyone.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Stairmaster posted:

Send woolie to giant bomb west they need him

"So, Jason, I know you've been playing a bit of DMC5 lately, how is it?"

"Yes, I've been doing that, Brad. I think it's a pretty fun game, y'know, it has..."

"YO THAT GAME IS SO SICK DID YOU SEE THAT COWBOY HAT HOLY gently caress"

"...i did see it, woolie"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Grouchio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSJ6TDs1nkE

In which [ CRAZY TALK ] Activates around Persona for 20 minutes.

Pat said nothing wrong.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Huh, I'm blocked by Paige now on Twitter, this convo just made me realize that. I guess she changed her mind about the reasonable conversation we had thru PMs, 'cause I don't think I even @d her or said anything about her afterwards. Oh, well. So it goes.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Weirdly enough I feel like Liam turned out to be the better solo LPer of the four, or at least the one that understands how to make that work best.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Andrast posted:

If you're going to bring something like this up please explain it because this says nothing to me

TL;DR is that a dude was poo poo-talking Pat on what I assume was raid chat, Pat pretended to be someone else and after a bit figured out this dude poo poo-talking him was mad because he got kicked out from Pat's clan (in a pretty polite way) four years ago.

then the dude made a twitter account to argue with pat and got even more exposed

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I can gauge exactly where a person is from by their reaction to an adult saying "I don't know how to drive".

If that reaction is HOLY poo poo HOW ARE YOU AN ADULT AND YOU CAN'T DRIVE, I know that motherfucker is either from Midwest America or California.

I narrow it down from their follow-up being either "how do you get to places even" or "how do you make rent even".

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

HoboTech posted:

Or really any part of rural America, honestly. Tons of places in the northeast you can't survive without a car. Try not having a car in northern New York, my man. Hope you like hitch-hiking!

I guess Rural was a better qualifier than Midwestern there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Pat/Woolie is basically what the podcast has been since Liam left, so I think it works just as well as it did before. Guests are very iffy with Pat on the podcast too, because anyone not called Plague or Paige will probably get steamrolled by him, and the aforementioned two combine with Pat and kinda take over the podcast.