Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Pennsylvanian posted:

Last podcast had some good bits. Woolie reading Portuguese peoples' minds and the both of them breaking genres down were standouts.

Speaking as a portuguese speaker, he likely got an explanation of what fado is from someone and just got into the vibe. It was a really endearing moment.

I'm a bit partial because I've been to both Lisbon and Porto and both were grand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

Most everyone here has been cool but it's pretty annoying how disingenuous the small handful of posts here and especially on the subreddit have been in presenting Pat's comment by leaving out that he and Woolie spent 15 minutes eulogizing him and discussing about how much they both enjoyed his work before and after the spicy comment, and even getting into examination of their on mortality on the subject that felt mature and thoughtful. but is that going to be mentioned? nope. to willfully present the Destiny 2 comment in a vacuum as though that was Pat's sole commentary on Reddick's death is pretty idiotic.

"I don't remember him being this edgy about any other such topic before" bro literally this is the group that started a bring back benoit chant at wwe, wtf are these guys talking about lmao

One of the first 2BFP videos I watched was a short Persona clip oin which the words "Come join my Bible Black afterschool club" were uttered.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Tae posted:

Keep in mind that the original plan was to play Front Mission 3 before being talked off the ledge and starting Hi-Fi rush instead.

Front Mission 3 is the hero we need AND deserve on his channel!

That said, his wonder at FF9 is infectious.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

I am thoroughly enjoying the ff9 LP and don’t understand the consternation.

Same. Just watched him and Reggie get hilariously stranded in Popo's Heights and it was glorious.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Final Fight Streetwise was a clincher for me because it has everything: fanboyism, smalling a crappy game, amazing random gags ("This dog will never ride a horse again!") paralyzing them with laughter, and also just being ground down by the game and wanting it to end.

It's the proto-Omikron.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Vandar posted:

Barkley might be my favorite playthrough on the channel.

Pat and Liam had pretty amazing chemistry, especially considering the issues between them.

Right? I was surprised when I hear they apparently don't get along because Barkley was an amazing LP.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I can. Woolie had a terrible libertarian streak that peaked out occasionally over the years.

I totally missed it! I mean, there's like an entire episode of his play of KOTOR with Pat where they make fun of the Sith creed in the academy and how it parallels dumb libertarian dross.

I guess we're all a land of contrasts.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Which is such a shame because Matt plays off others so well. I think like 90% the phrases permanently lodged in my brain from the sbf days were him riffing off pf pat or woolie.

"NO! Find out what'll kill me...then back it up a little bit"

What is that one from?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Woolie scarring Eyepatchwolf's soul with Omikron got me to read Vinland Saga for the first time.

I pronounce that it was all worth it.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

DanJhonson posted:

It's Dragons Dogma 1 but bigger, if you like DD1 then DD2 is a sure thing, feels like a more well realized version of the first game about 20 hours in.

One of my best friends is a legit DD1 speedrunner and loves the game to bits, but just uninstalled it. Dragon disease turning her game's narrative into swiss cheese, NPCs walking off cliffs, weird autosave issues, and the lack ofa New Game option just melted her patience.

So loving the earlier game is not a 1-1 relation to enjoying the new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

these vids place a weird amount of emphasis on the confucianism stuff tbh, it feels mildly orientalist

You can't really address that issue without giving at least some attention to the ready excuse/justification local chuds get from the pre-existing, highly hierarchical culture created by centuries of Confucianism. Just like you will be leaving a massive gap if you talk about the Reagan revolution and the conversative ascendancy post-Carter if you don't mention pentecostals.

The degree of how much focus it requires varies with each viewer's tolerance, sure. But unless the creator is going "This is the SOLE reason behind a massive, complex phenomenon", it's usually alright.