Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Can anyone recommend some good resources for monster crafting and encounter design? I know there have been some good links posted in this thread but I’m having a helluva time finding them. Much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

pog boyfriend posted:

Extremely helpful advice.

MY HERO! This is all great and I appreciate the effort. Great advice on encounter building and I'm already in love with Giffyglyph's Monster Maker. I really appreciate it.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Kaysette posted:

Help, I need ideas for an NPC ork wizard that isn’t really a wizard. I know we did this once but I can’t find it. Hold person is just grappling, summon animals is tipping out a sack of badgers, fireball is a Molotov cocktail, etc.

Mirror image is like four orcs kinda dressed like him. Shield is a goblin held in front of him. Stinking Cloud is self explanatory. Fear is him flashing you.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Tasha’s Hideous Laughter is him slipping on a banana peel.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Nash posted:

Need some advice on tinkering with a class.

Some background. In my campaign Teiflings are from not-Egypt where necromancy is normal and accepted. Many people will sell their bodies to be used after they are dead. It’s just a body so no big deal. A player thought this was cool and wanted to be a noble who purchased a contract to have an undead be a bodyguard.

This player was thinking of being a chain pact warlock with his undead bodyguard being in place of a familiar. I like the idea but am trying to brainstorm the mechanics of doing this. Also I’m trying to think of cool ways to connect the warlock pact with the contract he bought for the undead.

Should I just take the chain pact rules and play as is, just substituting the stats in for an undead of my choice? He had said he thought it would be cool to upgrade his bodyguards equipment. Would gearing up his undead bodyguard be a bit too powerful? Any cool ideas in general would be welcome.

The undead bodyguard is actually just an orc pretending to be a mummy.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Arcsech posted:

Animate Dead on a short rest is a pretty big deal - I’d be very careful with that.

Maybe he can only target that one specific corpse with it.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

I think if you find it fun you should do it. The best class to play is the one you enjoy most and if that character sounds fun to you then you should try it out! The one shot is there for that purpose and if you don’t like it, great, you pick something else.

It might seem sub-optimal to your group mate (and it seems to some of the posters here) but if you’re able to contribute to the party and have a good time with the flavor of your character, who’s to say you’re wrong? Seems like damage won’t be an issue in your group anyways. Don’t let people tell you something is mandatory to take. That’s their prerogative for their own characters and style of play, not yours.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Am I missing something or is there no way to create a character through the D&D Beyond app? I see it on the website and it’s fine I guess but it seems like that should be an integral part of the app designed to make playing D&D easier. Please point it out if I’m just too dumb to see it or something.

edit: Thanks!

imagine dungeons fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Sep 16, 2020

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

I’ve seen like maybe 5 counterspells and been playing D&D for almost 30 years.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

theironjef posted:

Quit trying to make "optimizers" a bad thing. It's never going to be a bad thing.

Some optimizers are indeed bad. Maybe I’m scarred from Divine Metamagic from 3.5. Or really any of the busted things from that edition.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

theironjef posted:

Optimizers are people who pick through the tools that are made available to them. If the tools are so imbalanced and easily abused, that's not on the player, it's on the designer or the person who gave them the big list of options. This scenario where we're saying "Hey players, build your character with this stuff. Beware though, several of the choices make you a bad person" is some horse nonsense.

I’ll acknowledge that you are right and I am wrong. And I also didn’t consider the context of the conversation.

In context, I think that everyone rolling for a stat array that can be chosen by any player is the most feasible solution for a group that wants to roll stats. The DM will certainly have a much easier time balancing encounters.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Madmarker posted:

The absolute maximum at any table should be a total of 6 people, 1 DM and 5 players.

I’m currently in a 7 person group and I absolutely agree. It’s nice when someone can’t make it.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

please knock Mom! posted:

I would quit d&d if I had to play with that guy’s group judging from the posts which end up itt

You also have to look at it as one person’s perspective which may not align with everyone else in that group’s perspective of how things go.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Zuul the Cat posted:

Also, don't just kill poo poo to kill it, you're not a group of murder hobos.

Good luck with that!

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

I can’t wait for the follow-up “the Lost City of Piña Colada-burg”

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

GreenMetalSun posted:

Would kill for Planescape, though Dark Sun and Spelljammer are runners up.

Dark Sun is my favorite setting but some Spelljammer stuff would be cool too. Planescape too. Please no Dragonlance!

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Splicer posted:

You are a bit yeah. You "invented" a problem (not knowing where east is) and then "solved" it by rolling perception (should really have been survival though). She "invented" a problem (the way is blocked by debris) and "solved" it by athleticsing it out of the way. It's all made up (tm). Giving the players an opportunity to take over the making up is pretty much the entire point of skill challenges.

If I'd been the GM in that situation the only thing I would have done differently is maybe encouraged the player to embellish a bit, to maybe tie it into the result of your roll somehow or give the next player something to build off. I'd also have asked you to embellish what you were doing a bit.

You: "I use perception to locate the sun, to try to determine East"
Me: "You find the sun fairly easily, but do you notice anything else?"
You: "Nope"
Me: "OK anyone else?"
Her: "I use my athletics to move a log that's blocking the path."
Me: "Is it a big log? Why is it there? Is it the only thing blocking the path or is it the easiest piece to move from a larger blockage?"
Her: "It's most of a tree, it blew down in a storm."
Me: "Sounds good. who's next?"
Him: "A river we need to ford is swollen from the same storm. I rig up something to help us get the cart across safely"
Me: "OK let's have a look at those tool proficiencies"

I really love when the party gets to help flesh out the world. It helps promote that this is a cooperative game and we’re all having fun together. One of my favorite questions for PC’s is “what do you see?”. They often make up cooler stuff than I ever could and we just roll with it.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

MrSargent posted:

I have a question that doesn't involve player-created logs.

Having my first session on Sunday and was helping my buddy build his Half-Orc Barbarian on DND Beyond. He ended up with absolutely ridiculous rolls and adding in his racial bonus this is what his ability scores look like:

Strength (20) - yah he rolled an 18 with +2 racial bonus
Dexterity (17)
Constitution (16)
Intelligence (12)
Wisdom (15)
Charisma (10)

Am I going to need to re-balance some encounters due to his massive +7 to hit and +5 dmg bonus? I feel like he's going to decapitate every goblin in one swing.

You could allow the other players to use those rolls as well! Then you can more easily scale your challenges.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

hyphz posted:

The "immersion" that's meant is the player being able to have the same mindset as their character - or, rather, the mindset that we think they have when we see them.

So, if you can make stuff up in the world, you lose that immersion because you have to restrain yourself and think about the plot and storytelling concerns - whereas if your character could do it they could just magic themselves up piles of gold, just like you probably would if you gained that power.

I put the caveat of "the mindset that we think they have" on it because Hit Points are otherwise a classic objection to this; your character is completely unimpeded until they run out of Hit Points, and always know how much damage they can take until they die, while in the character's head they would be perfectly aware of the fact they are wounded and be terrified they might die at any time. So this isn't really getting into the character's head; it's getting into what we project as being in their head when a classic fantasy hero decides to fight on in spite of having been seriously injured, but that's enough.

I don’t think immersion is compromised by having PC input. In fact, I think quite the opposite as, even though your’e supposed to put yourself into the mindset of your character, D&D is still a cooperative experience and those extra details and player agency can enhance their investment. I know D&D 5e isn’t the optimal system for a more cooperative storytelling atmosphere but it doesn’t necessarily preclude it either.

At the same time, I don’t think anyone is saying that players should have complete agency to determine the world around them so much as having that additional player input can lead to more unique experiences that flesh out the world.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Dungeons & Dragons Thread: Friday Essay edition.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

It’s okay if you enjoy playing a fighter. If you ever say that you enjoy playing a fighter more than any other class, someone here will swing by and dunk on you, but all that matters is that you’re having fun.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Disargeria posted:

"I would like to roll to persuade the room to reveal its tricksy secrets"

The room was a mimic.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

MustardFacial posted:

hey someone tell me all the flaws of D&D

It’s flawless and perfect.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Cool. Convince everyone to stop snapping up the garbage books for just 1 cycle. I'll wait.

I’ll continue not buying them too. I’m striking for goddamn Dark Sun. I’ll cross the picket line for Spelljammer too.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

kingcom posted:

I assume the biggest reason is that its a tiny team of people doing any of the development and farming out a bunch of work to freelancers. Hasbro does not care about the product other than a license to farm out every now and again.

I think we would all be surprised by how few people are collectively making D&D.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Splicer posted:

Courtly love. There were a few fan things but I don't think anything official.

You might be thinking of pathfinder, they gave it mechanics at least once.

Is there a Crit Cobain class too?

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What I like about this is the notion that it could lead to the Wife Guy Paladin.

Hey guys, I’ve gotta warp up adventuring early, me and milady are shopping for a new wood burning stove for me to cook on early in the morning tomorrow.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

FFT posted:

That's just Penance (formerly Speedball)

I had to look this up because I remembered Speedball from the New Warriors and I haven't read comics in a long time. His suit has 612 internal spikes that poke him. Book of Vile Darkness poo poo right there!

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

poor life choice posted:

The DM for the game I'm in likes to use a fumble table for natural 1 attack roles. As an extra attack/martial character enthusiast this is a bummer! Other than "make a halfling" and/or constantly staying on the lookout for advantage are there many ways for lower-level characters to reroll or bypass an undesirable die roll?

e: in all other ways the group is great and the DM in particular is fantastic, this is my one grievance.

i like the use of a fumble table. Just make it fair by giving spellcasting a fumble table too.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Pretty sure no one is saying it’s cool and good that WotC is being racist. In fact, unless I missed it, no one has come out in support of it in this thread.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

The clear choice here is to let them punch people with the holy fury of a god regardless of what the rules say. And any weapon because who cares?

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

sponszi posted:

Yeah now that Fey-Touched is a thing our group has a joke about the "misty step tax" that you basically have to pay if your gonna be adventuring in a place where wall of force/web/etc exists as a martial class

This makes me glad that 75% of my group takes about 3 minutes every time they attack to come to the conclusion that, yes, its the same +whatever modifier to attack that it was earlier in your turn when you already attacked. I'm simultaneously blessed and cursed.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Fumbles posted:

are we seriously back to the 'I'm not WIELDING it I'm HOLDING it' level of weapon juggling?

Well, I don’t think anyone is seriously suggesting it.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

God drat this thread sucks loving rear end lately. Can’t we all just get along and talk about swords and goblins?

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My DM is *adorable* sometimes

A year ago he decided to let our bard resolve his lyncanthropic curse in a way that let him remain a werebear

Last night: "why did I let you have something that powerful? It warns you this could happen! But I've made it part of your character now! It's part of the plot! We can't retcon it! You're immune to nonmagival damage! You have a hundred and fifteen hit points!"

The bard's counter: "when you think about nerfing me, please put as much thought as I did into min/maxing this, I who just realized tonight, after a year, that I had a hundred and fifteen hit points as a bear"

The problem is we all love it just for the constant bear puns

Sounds like they’re polar opposites.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Who's got some super-cool stuff going on in their game? My group started a side campaign for when people can't make it and it would negatively impact the session. It's set in a modern day office and we all made white-collar losers working at an insurance company instead of finding treasure and slaying monsters. It was fun coming up with office setting related characters. I settled on a Aarokocra monk working as an insurance appraiser that just watched Fight Club for the first time and wants to emulate Tyler Durden but is actually a total wiener. He'll dance around like a Bird of Paradise for drunken master flavor. Some other ideas I was tossing around were Tech Support Artificer with a fax machine golem and a Hexblade Warlock Janitor that just got his Broomshakalaka in the mail and after skipping the fine print signed an unholy pact to eliminate even the toughest of stains.

You know, fun light stuff to laugh about while playing this absurd make-believe game.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

change my name posted:

Send him on a quest for reagents (like spun gold, a magical loom, drow silk, etc) and it can be turned into a friendly flying carpet ala Aladdin? Maybe just the 3' x 5' one?

You could turn it into Trackless Boots (because its a rug) or a Huggie Snuggie that gives some grappling advantages.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Enjoy posted:

Lawyers and Liches

Enchanters and Esquires

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

DourCricket posted:

Haha, I remember hating Psionics in 2E! Though I also didn't have anything other than the core books so I was just trying to make sense out of what was in the monster manual at the time.

That just made me think of the Psionicists Handbook and all the other class handbooks they had for 2e. I poured over those for hours when I was a kid. I’d love to get some 2e sessions in again. I love all the loot and encounter tables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

DourCricket posted:

I went to my first con in 2019 (Origins) and signed up for a 2E game just for some nostalgia. When I got there and they handed me the character sheet and saw there was no THAC0, they just converted it to AB, I almost left in disgust Seriously though THAC0 is terrible even if I love its stupidity out of nostalgia

THAC0 is terrible and stupid and I wouldn’t change a thing about it. I’m glad they ditched it for 3e and beyond, though.