Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I'm making an 8th-level wizard to join an established group. first time playing 5e, but not D&D.

any advice in general? DM is open to nearly anything, so are there sourcebooks I should buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Yusin posted:

Any book that has more spells buffs Wizards as more options just makes them better. For some one like you if you think you will play often, the new expansion gift box is not a bad place as you will get Xanathar’s Guide and Tasha’s Cauldron, which are the primary player expansion books. Still you don’t need any expansion books to make a good wizard. The PHB alone has a ton of stuff for Wizards.

A good question is what subclass are you thinking of taking.

good to know ... I was thinking of sticking with the PHB, since I don't know what I'm doing yet in 5e.

abjuration looks interesting (for the first time in my life).

Rutibex posted:

Protip:
Take Magic Initiate twice and you can be a Harry potter wizard in addition to a D&D wizard

well, I am a hirsute potter

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Spelljammer is cool as hell

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

change my name posted:

Is the revised beast master from tasha's with the new summonable companion that keys off your bonus action and scales with your proficiency bonus any good?

thought for a second that I was reading the Doobie thread & was startled at the jump in lore

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Dexo posted:

Maybe Kanka.io, the free version should do what you need it to do.

I've heard people say it's a rich resource and doesn't really tax the user's abilities (or if so, it's low)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ragequit posted:

I figured this would be the place to ask - what other podcasts heavy on goofiness/comedy are recommended?

I think Rude Tales of Magic is the best and funniest liveplay podcast.

everybody involved has been doing improv together for years. DM is Branson Reese, the smooth sharks guy. he and another player are (among other things) storyboard artists, and another player is a comics writer, etc, so they all know how to do stories. the editing is tight.

there are earned narrative stakes and the general mode is that people will pick the move most appropriate to the fiction, even if it seems suicidal. very anti-powergamey.

also it's loving hilarious.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

St0rmD posted:

The best idea is play a wizard but don't take any spells that do damage (War Mage, Diviner, or Enchanter preferably). Let your comrades feel like they're doing all the "big things" while you quietly sculpt the game to set everyone else up for success.

I just started playing 5e for the first time and made an abjurer in this mold. mostly defensive/assistance spells. so far, not doing blasts has been one.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

St0rmD posted:

Playing a wizard as your first character. A true man of culture.

I made him a researcher on his first field assignment, so my rank incompetence is in character :coal:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

One Legged Ninja posted:

Never gonna not recommend Nerd Poker. Between the 4 main self published campaigns, the 130+ bonus episodes on Patreon, and the original campaigns at Earwolf, it's been going since 2012-ish. Don't listen if you're a rules lawyer.

hell yes ... I didn't realize this was extant. the old episodes are loving golden, and I'm glad to hear it continued

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

sebmojo posted:

Bc they are b a dass, op

honestly they should have named it the Friend Folio

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Narsham posted:

Maybe 1E did a few things better than later editions, but they were clearly making everything up as they went and it can't be said to be a well-designed system now.

the 1e books are good examples of incredibly bad technical writing.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Rutibex posted:

Rules about initiative are unimportant because every group does it slightly differently anyway.

this is tautological :colbert:

it felt like everybody has to be apprenticed into D&D back in the day. 2e wasn't much better. the various basic sets made things so much easier, and I love that there's so much intro stuff now.

I do love all those tables and charts, too, though.

Narsham posted:

Gygax posted:

:words:

I can't remember if it was this thread or another one where we talked about him doing Vance without really getting Vance, but jeez. I prefer Faulkner to Hemingway but not when I'm trying to figure out if I can stab a troll.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Deteriorata posted:

Won't argue with that, but TSR was also dealing with explosive growth and equally explosive ambitions. A lot of the problem was trying to do too much with insufficient resources and always being a step behind. So the parallel issue was just insufficient time and editing. The market wanted stuff now, and they were struggling to cope.

also this is ADVANCED is it TOTALLY DIFFERENT from what that other guy allegedly helped me invent and he is a JERK

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the early novels are the unfiltered results of the cowriters' game sessions, complete with whatever the gently caress the dice did to really screw the narrative. when I was a kid I thought the books were just tedious. I was wrong. do you love cliche? overworn tropes? boring archetypes? all three abound.

the real junk-kick is that there's an entire race that makes Spritle and Chim Chim look like Watson and Crick. the kender have no understanding of the concept of possession so they steal poo poo constantly but they nonetheless fully understand the concept of possession because if someone in-game calls it stealing they literally cry.

on the one other continent there are minotaurs in togas.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
it isn't strictly thread-relevant but here is a word I just learned:

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/stonedelf

Wiktionary posted:

stonedelf (plural stonedelves)

(now chiefly dialectal) A stone or rock quarry

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Digital Osmosis posted:

Aww yeah, DM okayed my goblin. He was won over by his explicit "I'm following Drizzt's footsteps" thing, since Drizzt is clearly part of Icewind Dale. Was told I'd have to work for the kind of acceptance he has, but everyone hating (at first?) a random goblin with delusions of grandeur seems about right for the character I want to play and the whole "walking around settlements openly as a goblin might invite trouble" thing plays into some of the paranoia themes I hear the module has. Teenage me is gonna be so pumped to be playing something in the realm of a knock-off Drizzt, and adult me is super excited to be playing "Lenin in exile in Switzerland, but a goblin."

I like this concept a lot. I rolled up a goblin abjurer for the campaign I recently joined. the party was like "huh, a goblin" and that's been the only real upshot of the racial choice so far. (it's set in the FR but it's also gonzo.)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
brazen strumpets and saucy tarts are each as typical as typical streetwalkers

e: one might mistake a sly pimp for a cagey pervert

Empty Sandwich fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 11, 2022

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I can't find a source off the top of my head but I thought that the gygaxian xp-for-gold thing wasn't getting the gold but spending it: 1 xp per gp spent, which gives players an incentive to go get more gold (and means that thieves will come gently caress with them).

it's not impossible I'm remembering an optional rule or Grognardia hack or something, but I like it much better than earned gp as xp (which isn't saying a lot).

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
there's a good comprehensive breakdown of the various D&D editions' xp rules here:

https://gdorn.circuitlocution.com/rpgblog/history_of_xp.html

I poked around a little and I think what I was remembering is a common OSR-game house rule.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I know that there's a raging liveplay podcast scene and I know that (eg) sports movies are popular but I can't imagine that most people would want to watch a movie that's fundamentally about people playing a tabletop game. I sure as hell don't.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
[in the Marvel world, Thanos gets his hands on the last Infinity Stone. cut back the the real world.]

the protagonist, a 12-year old boy: [turns page of comic book.] oh poo poo! Thanos got his hands on the last Infinity Stone!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

St0rmD posted:

Or maybe a movie where clearly there's a game going on, but the lines between what is really happening, and what's simply going on in the game are extremely blurred, like that 1984 movie Cloak and Dagger that nobody ever talks about, but was awesome.

I think about this movie constantly, even though I haven't seen it in decades.

Rutibex posted:

The Never-ending Story was awesome. Make that the D&D movie template

it was so good, but I don't think it would be as magical to see a group of people doing the same thing.

plus the sequels sucked, iirc.

I just realized that the movie you guys want to see is Stranger Things. it has everything: live play, actual stakes, powers, dimensions, Demogorgon

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Dexo posted:

Just make a good movie lol.

also

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Fishbus posted:

“Draw the rest of the owlbear”

"what the gently caress is an owlbear?"

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I didn't even know they made any Dragonlance movies.

I still dislike the setting but I will grudgingly admit that WotC seems to have solved the 3 major problems it has (kender, Weiss, Hickman).

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

LordThorn posted:

Treasure of the Sierra Madre is a good movie, just copy that but put swords in.

Treasure of the Derrao Armies

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Gamera is a friend to all druids

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Cool Dad posted:

It really cries out for a big 3rd party setting book like Eberron or Tal'Dorei got, although I'm not sure who would write such a thing. Jeff Grubb, I guess?

I think I remember Grubb posting on Facebook about the new Spelljammer release announcement something like "welp, first I've heard about it"

but I hope they bring him back for more.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Yusin posted:

It covers more for the most part, and in a easier to read way cause it's not written in the Cant, and tends to get to it's point faster.

written in Can

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Pollyanna posted:

I have a mini-panther IRL, myself. :smug:

I know. I have avatars on.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Asterite34 posted:

Ironic, since I remember hearing that the original Chainmail was based on naval miniature wargaming rules. It might be more accurate to say D&D is bad for naval wargaming for anything smaller in scale than whole ships.

I think the idea is that they just ganked the concept of AC from a naval game but if I'm wrong it wouldn't be the first time today.

my buddy and I were just talking about finally getting our hands on Chainmail and the white box after years of playing 1e and 2e and just being confused

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Caphi posted:

"How come my fighter can't just keep cleaving without having to rest? If he can physically do it once, he can do it all day!"

clearly this person doesn't have a lot of experience with cleaving

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

S.J. posted:

Edition Wars Edition Wars let's goooooo:dance:

look I just wanted to make a vague innuendo I didn't expect you to act like some kind of [rolls d10] BECMI-loving moron

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
you guys are going to be spending a lot of time in the Mortuary

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I played in a low-level 2e adventure where the enemy was a dragon. we managed to capture it and the lawful PCs insisted on a trial. played out the whole thing and the judge ended up sentencing it to death by hanging.

really weird group all around. the guy playing the cleric named his character William Riker.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

PeterWeller posted:

Sounds like the group really just wanted to recreate that one Larry Elmore painting from the PHB.

I'm pretending not to know what we're both referencing

change my name posted:

I hope the quest to find a rope large/strong enough became the next quest

poo poo, that would be a good hook

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

General Battuta posted:

My brain keeps repeating “benzoberranzan” at me. Welp, cya

ah, yes... in the Darkunder

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

two fish posted:

I'm trying to name a chaotic evil aquatic elf barbarian and it's eluding me because I'm really bad at elf names. The theme for the guy is supposed to be vaguely "Mad Max villain" and he worships Sekolah. Any ideas on something in that vein?

Culri Megalodon
Frach Tooth

Smooth Steve

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

change my name posted:

it's actually not, shark skin is covered in microscopic spikes that make it abrasive

reported

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
if I understand correctly, my DM started playing in a campaign, then ended up assisting the guy who replaced him, then ended up taking over when he quit. I got invited by a buddy to join when they lost a player.

but he's been overwhelmed with work since just before summer and the campaign is effectively over. nobody can really continue this one because it's all OC.