Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is this the place to discuss Beyond and its services and offerings, or is there a better thread for that? If here, I guess I have three items:

1) I like the character sheet creator and manager. Seems good, is the best experience with such a thing I’ve had to date, going back to 2nd Ed/ad&d. Roll20 always seemed too finicky.

2) Plan to try running a game through Beyond. Because we’re just giving it a shot, I’d like to grab something from the store that will have as much of everything needed ready to go as is reasonably possible. Heavier on the dungeon crawl side of things, like a bunch of episodic crawls with some light over-plot would be ace. Any recommendations?

3) Even acknowledging that Maps is alpha, it seems paaaiiinfully featureless at this point. Is that an accurate assessment? I’m looking to do the entire thing through Beyond if possible, which means Maps as well, if it’s even plausible. The encounter manager seems okay, but Maps seems to be 95% future roadmap plans.

4) (Bonus item): I’m currently in a game where we’re doing all characters and rolling through Beyond, and just the map and initiative tracking through Roll20. Which seems okayyyyy, although even then Roll20 rears its finicky head: dumb stuff like the GM adding a monster token to the map makes the map background disappear and all we can see is the line of sight mask. I want to simplify and avoid that sort of thing. But geez, Maps…

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

But that still means getting all the maps and such into Roll20 and dealing with its approach to tokens and whatnot, yeah?

Although for the other game I’m in, I might grab that anyhow, since that’s just what we’re doing, Beyond+Roll20. Seems handy.

e: Oh, looks like it does a fair bit more than just roll integration. Neat.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 30, 2024

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

In this case, the extra content being unavailable without sinking cash is fine: the players in this group are not super experienced in general and not at all experienced with 5e, so we’re sticking to the most core content anyhow and just doing PHB-based characters.

I guess I’ll look into VTT options again and see what’s most workable for me. Thoughts on Roll20 vs Foundry vs etc with a target of the shortest learning curve for newbies?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

For what it’s worth, I’m not bothered by spending a few bucks, and for most of these tools, it’s likely I already have them, I just never get to use them. My GM/mapping tool collection is only rivaled by my unpainted Bones, and they both tell the same sad story.

To wit: I already have Foundry.

Gonna start there, I think. I recall I bought it specifically because Roll20 came across as such an absolute curmudgeon last time I was looking at this as a GM and every time I’ve touched it as a player.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No Safe Word posted:

Speaking of, it was a bit of a shock to see yesterday that WotC officially partnered with Foundry:

https://foundryvtt.com/article/dungeons-dragons-arrives/

Before, Foundry supported D&D 5e (and prior editions) through SRD-only but then lots of "unofficial" stuff that would help augment that to make it .... semi-playable.

Well this is extremely germane to my interests.

Saw the Foundry 5e update to 3.0.0 last night, was probably due to this, pretty cool.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I really just can't believe the timing of this official Beyond+Foundry partnership and them dropping Phandelver/Shattered Obelisk to go with it. Like absolutely perfect for my needs, and within a day or two of deciding how I was going to do all this. It's 100% exactly what I wanted: Foundry easy button ready to go. Expanded starter set with plenty of content for my little group. And the guide in this module has a TON of helpful content about Foundry itself, which is making this a lovely experience.

This crazy coincidence took me from 10% ready to like 90% ready overnight. I was sitting here figuring out how I was going to get some content in, and I wake up the next morning and I have a 12-level module ready to go for me.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh, I'm sure, the community contribution scene is immense, but trying to learn on too many axes at once is frustrating. This gives me just what I needed right when I needed it. We'll run this pre-baked thing and by the time that's over, I should be very ready to wade into the rest of it, if not sooner.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

His reasoning was 'how would you feel if you got a crit and I shut it down,'

That’s incredibly lame, I’d be jazzed and would talk it up as an even more impressive scenario. It’s the perfect shot with the even more perfect block. It’s the rocket league game-winning epic save out of nowhere. It’s the slow motion dive in front of the bullet to take the shot in grandfather’s watch in your breast pocket. It’s Kurt Russel unceremoniously throwing the knife back.

What I’m saying is, gently caress that.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Each dwarf only displays two lineages: the mothers on their mother’s side, and the fathers on their father’s side. Because of this, it behooves parents to have multiple children to ensure both lines stay in the living beard record.

If you want more than that, apply the same rule but starting the collapsed line approach back one or two generations, thus capping the lines in a given beard at 2^n.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Certain societally-crucial roles actually require the divestment of one’s lineage, thus occasionally resetting individual records.

These positions are of great honor and import, but the need to become bald of chin for a generation and give up one’s ancestry can, indeed, make for some very interesting and awkward misunderstandings.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Asterite34 posted:

So beard-eunuchs, essentially

Just for a little while. As a treat.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’d have it go against a once-daily constitution check, allowing a re-check at rests to recover. Not EVERY day is a bad day. Make the DC whatever seems reasonable. Give them disadvantage on that check if you’re feeling cruel, or perhaps failing one check gives them dis on the next, that actually tracks with reality. Something like that.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Also, not sure if you're aware, but there's a GM-specific thread that may be a good place for some of the advice you're after, with special attention to keeping it fun and practical for the game. Really good stuff in there.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877675

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A gith and a dragon in their XXXL get-along shirt

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

This sets the stage for a whole new—ahem—spectrum of dragons. Or maybe a broader range, all the dragons we currently know falling within the visible wavelengths. Radio dragons, micro dragons, IR dragons…be extremely cautious around UV dragons, and heaven forbid you run into X dragons or, even worse, gamma dragons.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Quantum dragons. They're already inside your subatomic structure, causing damage that can only be expressed with non-euclidean dice.

Imaginary dice should suffice.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think back in 3e the rough guideline for standard power levels was that characters would be expected to have magic weapons of roughly one third their level. So each + added a level, each extra ability added a level, etc.

A 3rd level character might be expected to have a +1, a 6th level character a +2 or a flaming +1, or something along those lines. Not sure if that baseline has significantly changed but it feels reasonable.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Whaaaat? Back in my day we had +5s and were proud of it!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Deteriorata posted:

We nail them into the wall.

The DM?! :ohdear:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ehh, hex grids are fine but over complicate things for D&D. The material is written such that characters exist in a universe where the plank length is 5’ and a circle of such diameter yields pi=4 or something, it’s fine. Decide not to care that it’s wrong and instead embrace that it’s at least consistently wrong for all participating.

Use hex grids for overland travel stuff though. That feels good and helps it feel like a meaningfully different measurement.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Outrail posted:

Where do you hide? There is a walk in freezer, a pantry and an industrial washing machine.

*You accidentally glance at the DM screen, and see the monster manual opened to something beginning with "Mi..."*

I hide in the mayo

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

bird food bathtub posted:

Uh oh, pull up thread pull up! We're gonna crash right in to another derail about a mage-based economy compared to farming and, apparently, brewing.

Mage-o-naise

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

NotNut posted:

I need to draw a massive cave with a river running through it, a cabin and some rock pillars. Does anyone have a recommendation of mapping software I could use to make that quickly? I'd rather not use Dungeondraft because it sucks.

This took zero seconds with Dungeon Alchemist because I started a new map and just told it I wanted it to be a cave with a river and glowing mushrooms.

Of course one would be free to adjust the terrain as needed, add dressing, monster camps, whatever. Very easy. Export to Roll20 or Foundry or whatever if that's your thing.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1588530/Dungeon_Alchemist/

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Lego minis can be fun.

If you have kids, raid their toys. Animals, mythical or otherwise.

The dollar bins at Walmart or your local party supply store can also be a good source of tabletop interest.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TL posted:

Kids toys are a great idea. We’ve used them to great (and amusing) affect in the campaign in playing.

This is wonderful, and exactly what I was getting at. Depending on the whimsy level of the campaign, you can even let the available toys drive the encounter design itself, for comedy. Like that gorilla up there can either be a mean old dire gorilla stand-in, or it can literally be a gorilla in a jacket with a mic, just trying to break into the music industry through a nationally televised talent competition, and the PCs are all that stands in his way.

Depending on the age of the kids, sending them on fetch quests for ad hoc encounters is a hoot, it's like rolling the dice to see what comes back that the PCs will have to deal with, and the kids love it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sure, being of parenting age goes hand in hand with the availability of such toys. And usually these games are, like, after kiddo bedtime. But not always, and when the kids are about, it’s a fun way to let them participate in the adult activity without, like, participating.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Morrow posted:

Flame Tongue, because then you can have a flaming gun.

Or a tongue gun, no thank you.

e: gungue??

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

bagrada posted:

Vorpal shotgun
That’s just a normal shotgun, used at vorpal sword range

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hollismason posted:

What would be 5 good magic items for a wizard.

5 smaller wizards

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Elendil004 posted:

Phandalin trip report: The party was nearly TPK'd by the Mage at Old Owl Well ...cone of cold is a hell of a drug. So now they're gunshy as hell and slowly whittling down the forces at Wyvern Tor slowly. An action shot...

Here’s a convenient little tool for dressing up those tokens, if you’re interested:

https://rolladvantage.com/tokenstamp/

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yep! I just like to share tools when I get the chance. I don’t get to play near as much as I’d like, but I do get to fantasize about it, so I’m always looking at these sorts of things just to take the edge off.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Had a game once where one of the players was only very sporadically available. So we made him a telepathic dog (not a blink dog, but maybe a blink dog???) and when he was gone, the dog was happy to tag along but was just a dog. Since nobody in the world had any baseline expectations for such a situation, it was narratively very easy to accept.

Like, “I guess if you meet a telepathic cleric dog, sometimes the vibe is off and they’re just gonna be a dog for a bit, why not.”

Worked well and allowed us to keep the character on hand but a non-participant as needed. I really liked that solution.

Behind the scenes, the cleric in question had actually been put into a sort of immortal stasis in this way from ancient times by his god in order to bring him forward for a greater need. Who would notice a stray dog that lived forever? And the cleric only occasionally being the present mind of the thing was a side effect of slowly coming out of this time-travel-the-slow-way situation.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 29, 2024

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Magic Missile “…create[s] three glowing darts” but I don’t think I’ve ever heard of someone thinking that means you can use it to create a magical dart to hold and intimidate someone with.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If I was a liche I’d develop a huge interest in pottery of all sorts, absolutely fill my lair with every conceivable container decorated in all sorts of ways from gaudy to mundane.

Meanwhile, I’d huck my actual phylactery in the stagnant pond out back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Warlock with a fiend patron (or matron I guess). The marriage is a mutual exchange of eldritch magic and prime material plane citizenship.

Holy poo poo