Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Or just don't tell them you rolled a crit, and pretend you didn't.

Yeah I did this twice in early LMoP for my group of newbies last year. By the time they got to wave echo cave I was pulling a lot less punches. Getting your head around RPG combat is hard enough at first without even more RNG fuckery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Reveilled posted:

My dad has expressed interest in playing D&D again, and is trying to get some of his old friends together for it, I’ve agreed to DM. Because I’m a player in another game I don’t want to go reading descriptions of all the published adventures for fear of spoiling things if my game’s DM runs them, so I’d like a recommendation. They played basic and 1st AD&D, so I’m after an adventure with very light RP (their idea of RP is “I stab my dagger through the innkeep’s hand and yell “where is the dungeon?!”) and a massive gently caress off huge dungeon.

What would fit?

I’d run Lost Mines of Phandelver to get then to 5 then turn them loose in the Dungeon of the Mad Mage.

LMoP is easy to run/play and has plenty of hooks you can use to send them to Waterdeep for the mega dungeon. I think there’s a mysterious map they find; it could be a map of the first level of the dungeon.

Kaysette fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 22, 2018

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Waffles Inc. posted:

I've been living in my new city (Boston) now for long enough that I feel ready and settled enough to head out into the gaming world again or whatever

I'm really jonesing for some tabletop rpg gaming, and short of knowing anyone, I've begun wondering if Adventurer's League is remotely fun

Is it as almost entirely DM-skill dependent as I'm imagining it is? What's the general idea of what it's all about? Is there RP and such?

I forget where you live but I play weekly AL games at Knight Moves in Brookline. It’s a bit DM dependent but we have a good one. Usually just one table going at a time. It’s on Monday nights for now but may switch next semester as we have a few grad student players with night classes. There’s a FB group for it if you’re interested.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

My uncle who works at Nintendo has basically confirmed more spelljammer content is coming for 5e (and there’s a big clue about this in Mad Mage) but idk the timeline on that. There will also be Ravnica AL stuff eventually since I guess the experiment with Eberron went well.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

That’s a v good post!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Libertad! posted:

Although it is mostly fluff, I wrote up a blog post on looking over various humanoid (not just the type) monsters in the 5th Edition MM/Volo's and imagining how they'd creatively map into the world of al-Qadim.

I did this in part because of how one of the setting's unique ideas is having otherwise iconic "monstrous races" living peacefully among human society due to the unifying Law of the Loregiver. Another is that the Monstrous Races book (and its sequel) on the DM's Guild have playable race versions of just about all of them, which ties the mechanics in well with the setting fluff.

And also because I like al-Qadim.

This is really cool and makes me want to read more about al-Qadim. I’ve only used FR, Eberron and homebrew settings.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Yeah, I agree that the S8 changes have been more good than bad. The gold change was a bit baffling and I was pissed some of my fun items on my T3/T4 characters were taken away but I got over it. I haven’t played my T4 wizard yet since the change but I’ll be a lot more scared of taking hits without my shield guardian around.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Tokens for gear, faction grind, seasonal events, patches that piss off the community. Turns out 5e AL was the MMO the whole time!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Infinite Karma posted:

This makes me think of Flasks, i.e. reusable potions. Anyone tried anything like that before?

Just make it like the alchemy jug? Costs a certain amount of alcohol per use or something to make.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Malpais Legate posted:

So after using Mind Flayers in my game, I need to ask: were those creatures designed to be fought at all? Especially in a game where only like, 1.5 classes don't use Intelligence as a dump stat.

As written, they can basically stun and maim the party with little to no resistance. It really frustrated a few of my players and I had to redo some poo poo on the fly, otherwise they'd just have been better off not showing up to the fight. And it still turned out that way for the cleric and warlock.

0/10 never using mind flayers again.

The "mind blast" stun is boring and lovely. Anything that takes players out of a fight for up to ten rounds sucks. Mind flayers are great as scheming baddies but they are lame to fight. Either they get that big cone off or they go down like a sack of potatoes to swords and arrows.

The idea that the party should have chosen their dump stats differently or that you did something wrong here is laughable.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Gharbad the Weak posted:

If you keep it at all, "stuns for 1 turn" is still incredibly powerful. I'd maybe go "stunned for 1 turn, or take damage to do a thing as you fight through the haze".

But yeah, group stuns on pcs is wacky, unless each class had multiple ways to handle this situation. Or at least most. Some?

I used a ulitharid big bad once and part of the prep for that fight was getting several headbands of mind blank from some githzerai monks prior to the combat. It let part of the party flank the monster and get the drop while being immune to the blast. I also gave the ulitharid some psion/mystic attacks and lair actions (and legendary resistance) so it had more to do.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

thegoatgod_pan posted:

RAW, a mindflayer encounter can just end an entire game of DnD in one turn, where everyone fails the save, and the DM is put in a position where all they can do is either say “Well, I guess they eat all of your brains” or scramble to improvise the party’s escape from slavery, a la that one Drizzt book.

If everyone fails you're required to instantly switch your campaign to Out of the Abyss.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

"_____ or do nothing" is trash tier game design in this decade and it's one of the main reasons I'm not stoked about running D&D after doing a few different PbtA games with my regular group.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

mastershakeman posted:

How does playing a game that allows and is built upon the concept of player characters potentially dying ever going to line up with "modern concepts" of always having something to do on your turn ?

You can still have a risk of dying without dying of boredom between your turns.

mastershakeman posted:

From the getgo D&D always has the risk of someone getting ambushed and killed and being out of the fight if not an entire session. How do you reconcile this if you find it so distasteful?

I generally don't let my players get instagibbed while surprised?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

ProfessorCirno posted:

Honestly, pretty much everything extremely big, dangerous, and noteworthy should be set up as a full scale encounter, not just a random monster. And I don't mean that this is something that the GM should just know how to do - the books need to be so, SO much loving better at presenting monsters and how they should be interacted with mechanically. Ah, but I just said the forbidden m word.

:agreed:, the MM or DMG should have more guidelines like what “The Monsters Know What They’re Doing” provides.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

the wise man bowed his head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between acting & not acting. you imbecile. you loving moron"

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Yeah, I gave up playing a straight tomelock after I realized it'd never be as fun as my wizard. I'm having fun now with a sorlock (5 shadow sorc, 3 hexblade, rest sorc) because I can use my sorcery points to buff my blasting and use the extra spell slots I don't convert for utility stuff. There are apparently fun hexblade melee builds but I've never tried it.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Wait, some DMs make entire groups do checks without using the group ability check roles? :lol:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Besesoth posted:

Yes, because that ensures that everybody gets to roll An Dice each session. It's substantially different in other games, but in D&D the expectation is that you get to roll some dice, and a lot of players are unhappy when they don't get to.

If your group is happy to use group rolls, more power to you, but that isn't true for a lot of people.

Everyone still rolls in the group check rules...

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Toshimo posted:

Never mind.

gently caress this poo poo forever.

She added a mind flayer to the crab fight, went first, and Mind blasted the whole party.

"A DM who ran this for me did this and it was FUN!

lmao awesome

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

CJ posted:

What do you all think of adding a humanity system to 5E? I watched Made in Abyss recently and replayed Dark Souls and i really like the feeling of adventuring wearing down your soul. After thinking about it a bit i think it would also help mechanically as well. The setting would be sort of like a fantasy version of S.T.A.L.K.E.R., where there was some great cataclysm that flooded the world with demonic energy making everywhere outside of cities hazardous.

Your humanity would be a score that would decrease. If you died and ressed it would decrease, acting as a middle ground between permadeath and death not mattering once you have access to res spells. It would also decrease for extended periods in the wilderness, which acts as a soft timer for excursions so that the players would have a reason not to rest after every encounter. I'd also say you would lose some for attuning to magic items but that's for thematic reasons and i haven't thought through the mechanical repercussions.

As for the panalty, i was thinking that once it drops below a certain threshold you roll a d20 when long resting in the wilderness and ona 1 you lose your character, either from becoming a mindless zombie like going hollow in Dark Souls, or going crazy like in Cyberpunk 2020 or turning into a monstrosity like in Bloodborne. Then as your humanity got lower you would drop to smaller die increasing the likelihood. I like this because it's less gameable and plays into the chaotic unknown feeling of it. You can tell someone is in bad shape based on their score but you don't know if they will succumb that night or in 6 months. I'm not sure about debilities. I don't like the idea of wounds because it sucks to get crit then lose an arm, but maybe it's ok to accrue penalties for long term build up of small failures?

Please tell me why this is a bad idea. The main negative i could think of was that the mechanics and setting might be too depressing/oppressive for some players to enjoy it. Mechanically it seems like it would work well as a deterrent for degenerate gameplay.

Check our Urban Shadows for a cool corruption mechanic you could adapt to 5e that does something similar to this.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Yeah I’d be much more inclined to go the “power but at a cost” route of losing humanity. Giving perks/items to incentivize remaining human is also a good idea.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Toshimo posted:

Also, just play milestone instead of XP.

It's rad.

Agreed.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

ritorix posted:

That post might have been a bit like summarizing the last season of GoT then asking what Jon Snow should do - to someone who has never seen the show. Long campaigns get pretty drat convoluted. Oh well, writing it out at least let me solidify some ideas.

I would like the finale to be a bit drawn out. I'm thinking the big ritual will be maybe 3 rounds where the players secretly bid on narrative outcomes, then I narrate the results per round and they react next bidding round. I don't want open PvP at this point and a kumbaya agreement isn't likely either, but if it happens organically that's ok. I might make a little sheet of unique options for each player with a section to write in whatever.

I’m glad you wrote it out because that campaign sounds awesome. I’ve never run one to 20 before and it’s cool thinking about really epic advancement options.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Death to ability scores. Until then, perception to find poo poo and investigation to figure out what it is and how it works.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Farg posted:

so is the flock of familiar spells technically UA or is it official

It's official but there's no guidance outside of AL about how to use the three spells from Lost Laboratory of Kwalish. Go for it? I think this is the only example of unique spells players can use in an adventure so there's probably a Crawford tweet out there about it...

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Super Waffle posted:

Ok ok, fat male elf rogue. I'm talking 300lbs morbidly obese, greasy skin, total goon

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

adhuin posted:

So Fireball. What it is good for?

Little background:
I'm playing Wizard on a Curse of Strahd campaign, with others playing Warlock, Fighter, Monk and Paladin.

Our GM is notorious of having strong opinions about things and one of those is that Fireball is clearly no.1 3rd level spell and every wizard should pick it.

Partially because he was so insistent about it, and partly because I don't care about damage spells, I picked animate dead and counterspell.

He didn't find that funny.

On 6th level I picked slow and Life Transference.

He straight up had our ally van Richter give me Fireball and lightning bolt scrolls.

So is the Fireball worth it to use memory slot?
My other damage spells are cantrips and I mostly use grease, web or hold person monsters in combat. Oh and create zombies after.

Fireball is v good aoe damage for that spell level but if you’re more interested in playing a control wizard then it’s fine to skip. My sorlock and light cleric both have funny fireball stories because they were meant to be blasters but it’s not the mandatory slam pick he’s making it out to be.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

gently caress this game lmao

I have a great time with my weekly AL group but poo poo like this is so wild after spending some time playing a few PbtA games. I came to D&D from 40k so I was used to dumb wording and rules lawyering but the more modern RPGs I play the less I can stomach these rules or their Twitter interpretations.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Toplowtech posted:

Same thing but with Smiting and ranged weapons.

Don’t do this. Smite with unarmed strike makes a suboptimal choice stronger. Smite with ranged weapons gives one of the better DPR options even more damage with the potential for high alpha strike.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Nehru the Damaja posted:

He's just more polish than I need

Definitely read this as Polish at first.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

kingcom posted:

lol, maybe you should tell the player who is about to get crushed to dust that hes going to die for the party to learn a lesson lmao. Alternatively you could just sit down and tell your players that death is a possibility instead of pulling poo poo like that? Also he does a 4d6 down the line system for character creation so they are basically hoping dice rolls come up the right to actually get a divine caster in the group.

Oof :sever:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

My first exposure to Matt was "The Map is Not the Terrain" so that may have soured me on him.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

kingcom posted:

Oh no, do not get me wrong, the guy absolutely says some dumbass stuff but on the flip side hes the one person to try and go Mearls about admitting they hosed up some stuff in D&D like the 8 encounters a long rest being crazy advice and design (I think that was him, I'm all blurred now but I'm convinced it was that thing with Matt, Matt, Mearls and Adam).

I'll have to check that out, thanks!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

We had babby’s first TPK in the Undermountain last AL session and that was a wild feeling. I’ve had individual character death before but never a straight assbeating like that. Apparently there are mechanisms in place though if TPKs happen because now we’re in the 17th level or some poo poo with a mind flayer who put us in VR? I don’t think I’d be down for killing a character off in session one to prove a point but I do like knowing that this place doesn’t mess around. The kid gloves have been off since we left Waterdeep.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Mr. Humalong posted:

What should someone completely new to 5e watch to learn how to play?

Just play the game?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Mr. Humalong posted:

Yeah that was kind of my point

:hf:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

Did you perhaps mean cleric(trickster)?

He means arcane trickster rogue based on what he wrote.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Toshimo posted:

Tell me there's no sane interpretation of Araumycos in OotA giving players poison immunity that would lend to thinking that's a permanent effect.

There's no time limit given so it must mean forever? Idk. The intention seems to be for it to last through the next big fight as a buff for doing well in the astral projection section. I don't see it listed in any errata or sage advice. Did someone at an AL table say they were immune because they ran OotA? If so, that's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Toplowtech posted:

Yeah because at level 11 a rogue with expertise in athletics is the most reliable Wrestler. Add expert in acrobatic and call him El Santo...

weird way to spell bard