Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I was thinking of joining a friends 5e campaign. I am thinking of either some sort of Wizard Conjuror or maybe an Artificer Artillerist.

My questions:
-In pathfinder you could be a sort of summoner that had an Eidolon, which I think was basically like having a Stand from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Is there something that is vaguely similar to this in 5e?

-Does an Artificer basically let me be Tony Stark as-in a sort of genius inventor who always have a device to solve a problem or when presented with a problem I don't have a device for, I can always come back and create the device to solve said problem? If not, what would?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Ryuujin posted:

If it was 10 months ago it was probably the old one. In my opinion the base class was improved slightly, only in regard to what items they can make as they level. But the actual archetypes for the new version are garbage. All in all I definitely improved the previous version of Artificer.

The new version no longer has anything interesting that sets it apart, but is instead just another, inferior, caster. It now has cantrips and most of the archetypes give them bonus damage on either certain spell types, or a single cantrip that they load into a wand.

Now if homebrewed contents are allowed I would suggest Kibbles Alternative Artificer, once called the Revised Artificer but changed the name after the new version of the Artificer came out. I haven't checked it out in awhile, didn't really remember it having spells before but the newest version has some, also newest version looks like it can get some cross archetype stuff which is nice.

Kibbles Alternative Artificer is here if you want to take a look at it.

As a bit of a breakdown of the Alternative Artificer archetypes.

The Gadgetsmith is Batman. Gets things like grappling hooks, smoke grenades, multi hit boomerangs, gravity switches, impact gauntlets, and all kinds of interesting gadgets. With other gadgets available at higher level upgrades.

The Golemsmith is the guy with a robot companion who does the fighting for him. Used to focus on getting a Warforged companion, but newest version could instead get a winged companion, a quadrupedal companion, or even a mobile turret. As you level you can get upgrades to improve your companion.

The Infusionsmith is the guy who has floating weapons attacking for them. Actually it sounds like the folded the Wandsmith from previous versions into it as well to give it more options/variety. At the start of the day they can either Animate a Weapon which makes a melee spell attack at range when you attack with it, imbue a Blasting Rod which works kind of like the Artillerist in the official Artificer in that you pick a cantrip and put it in there and 1/round when casting it add your Int mod to the damage, or Infuse a Weapon which lets you use your Int in place of Str or Dex for it and if the weapon damage die is below a d12 it increases one size. As they level they gain the ability to animate two weapons, make the Blasting Rod attack as a Bonus Action when casting another spell used from an earlier archetype ability, or getting Extra Attack with the Imbued Weapon. And they have upgrades to improve one of the styles as the level.

The Potionsmith is the class Alchemist from the old playtest, kind of. All about throwing alchemical items or "bombs", and various concoctions, healing, buffing, etc. Much more thematic, and fun, than the newest official Artificer version of the Alchemist.

The Thundersmith, used to be called Cannonsmith, is the old Cannonsmith from the first playtest Artificer. Kind of. It focuses on one special weapon, it might be a big two handed gun that shoots "thunder" or a "lightning" sword. Used to be just a gun, with a sidebar talking about other things you could have your weapon be and how that would change, now it specifically calls out being one of four weapons. As you level you get upgrades to your weapon. And as you level you get thunder damage 1/round when you hit with your weapon.

The Warsmith is fantasy Iron Man. You build a gauntlet, then an armor. You upgrade it as you level, increasing speed, connecting a weapon, getting repulsor blasts, flight, a size increase, or being able to collapse it into a briefcase. Used to be just Plate armor, with upgrades that could make it lighter for dex and stuff. Now you specifically pick the type of armor from a list of 3.

The Fleshsmith wasn't in the older Revised Artificer document, seems to be all about either being a Mad Doctor, or experimenting with your own body. Picking up things like natural attacks, healing people, or mutating your body, or creating a flesh golem like companion.

Basically each archetype really feels different, with their own upgrades they can take. Instead of the archetypes being practically indistinguishable like the current UA Artificer.

Ugh, I don't know if they allow Homebrew, but I can try.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Maybe you could homebrew a feat so the Jojo Monk stand could separate as a remote stand?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So for the homebrew Thundersmith, do I not have Magical Tinkering or Infusions?

edit: Also does the Thundersmith *not* have Ritual spellcasting?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 18, 2019

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I've gone off to a great start firing my guns at a underwater crab.

My WIP design for my character, I went and commissioned an artist to draw my character: The character's name is Jormun Drake.

A level 5 Thundersmith Artificer.

I roleplay him with the most horrid southern/texan accent you could imagine.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I want to change characters in my campaign for a bit, and I'd like to try out something *like* the weab idea of a samurai/swordsmaster but the actual samurai class I googled seemed poo poo.

Is there a melee class out there somewhere that:
-Uses a katana.
-Has magic like abilities from the sword?

Something like a Monk (dex based armourless class) that uses a sword and the sword has a little magic to it?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Remora posted:

Advantage and temp HP on demand 3x/long is lovely?

I mean, Kensai Monk or Hexblade also seem to fit, but...

I dunno about that, what came up from googling was something about advantage on persuasion checks and not a whole lot of "things to do" I kinda want to have options/actions I can take each turn beyond just hitting something with a sword.

Marathanes posted:

A katana in 5e is just a longsword, so that's not a problem for most classes. Kensai Monk is probably the closest you'll get to that overall archetype. However, you have some options: an Eldritch Knight skinned that way could also work, as would a Hexadin for gishy goodness with some spells and smiting. A Battle Smith Artificer might work? If you want more spell side stuff, a straight Hexblade, a Bladesinger or a Stone Sorc might work? It all depends on what facets of the weeb samurai swordsman are most important to you.

Edit: to elaborate,

If going completely armorless is important, then Kensai Monk is your go-to. You might could also reskin a Barbarian this way, but honestly most Barbarians are better off wearing medium armor anyways. Stone Sorc has some of the sorts of abilities you're looking for here as well, but the flavor might not fit.

If you're willing to go light armor, the EK works well with a dex based build (reskin a rapier to katana or some such), as would a Bladesinger, but that might be leaning way more into spellcasting than you wanted.

If you're willing to go to medium armor EK still works, while letting you go with a longsword, and this also opens up the Hexblade and Hexadin. Battle Smith also falls into this category.

If having the magic blade stuff is important, the Kensai doesn't offer a lot of that. You might want to try to pick one of the suggestions above that offers the melee cantrips (Warlock/Wizard/Sorc) and/or has access to smite spells (Paladin/Battle Smith/Hexblade). My go-to thought if this is the more important factor would be a Hexadin who wears the lightest armor possible / just wears a haori over his armor so nobody can tell.

vv good call - really any Sorc can gish pretty well that way if you build that way. I'm currently playing a Fighter 1 / Divine Soul Sorc 5 that has the capacity to explode for like 6 attacks a round? if all goes right and I'm willing to burn Sorc points like they're going out of style.

lightrook posted:

Paladin and hexblade can both be magical sword fighters. If you go for a spell heavy build with sorcerer, you'll also have magic to do all the cool weeb swordsman stunts. Most importantly, with sorcerer in the mix, you blow through your sorcery points and spell slots and tell your party, "forgive me sensei, but I must go all out just this once" and drop two Blade cantrips and two big smites in one turn.

Thanks I'll consider these! We already have a Paladin though so I'd prefer not to overlap. I already had an artificer but I've kinda stumbled into pledging myself to serving an evil god and I kinda want to take a break from that character.

(Don't identify every single magic item you come across folks, sometimes it brings your mind to the Far Realm)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I identified it, failed a save, and got my sent somewhere it shouldn't.

Finding myself surrounded by eldritch monsters I tried to bluff my way through and it didn't really work.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Well in this case the curse has me doing errands, which nominally I wouldn't be opposed to. Because my character is slightly insane from PTSD from The War and I went above and beyond always trying to save the NPC cohorts that were helping us. We had an NPC rogue checking for traps and he'd keep getting downed in encountered and I'd jump over his body to protect him from fireball explosions and the like.

Eventually he went off with the party when we got split and he died being turned to stone by a Basilisk, so my character found his petrified head after his body crumbled and now is on a mission to frankenstein him back to life.

So any form of necromancy magic item I've been "needing" in loot rolls, so all of this could in theory work out.

The problem is some of the other players are kinda metagamey fuckwits who literally forget conversions that have already happened so I can't really do anything interesting with it because they ask questions their characters probably wouldn't be asking.

So I'm taking a break from that.

Remora posted:

My bad, yo, in response to Raenir.

I don't know what the actual class is, I went with the first result in google that didn't seem homebrewed.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
What are some good ways of playing a kensei monk effectively?

DM gave me a drow katana that does 2d8.

Stats spread:
str/dex/con/int/wis/cha: 14,18,16, 12,16,12

I took Dragon wings (I'm a Bronze Dragonborn, gives +20 fly speed?) and Defencive duelist (seems to be +4 free AC?)
With the Kensei parry thingy that gives another +2 free AC which is a total of 24 AC which seems respectable for level 9 with 71 hp.

Of my martial arts abilities:
-Flurry of blows seems kinda meh since I have a sword I should be using instead? Unless the DM lets me use the sword, I'll ask.
-Stunning Fist, I hear this is good.
-Step of the wind, 1 ki point to dash or disengage, seems good? With my 45' movement this makes it 90' a round if I want?
-Deft Strike, 1 ki to deal my martial arts die as bonus damage, this is just 1d6 right now I think? Doesn't seem like a lot? Is this ever worth it?
-Patience Defence: Attackers attack at disadvantage? Seems good.
-Kensei's Shot: When I shoot with my bow, as a bonus action an extra 1d4? This doesn't seem to scale?
-Deflect Missiles: If an arrow doesn't do a lot of damage I can catch it. Cool.
-Attack twice, that's two times 2d8?

And a few others not listed here.

What I'm thinking is I can basically play my character like I'm playing Sekiro where I'm *really* good at parrying.

Like I can run along walls, *fly* to position, stab someone and stun them, and run around the battlefield dunking on people? And if I get mobbed they can't hurt me because 24 AC plus disadvantage on their attack rolls? And I can always free disengage?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Right, I think of spending ki as being "free" in a sense it is a rechargeable resource. We just literally just now had a discussion where the eating a reaction got clarified. :D

Thanks for the write up, it helps clarify things. I dunno if the 2d8 is a lot, a lot of enemies in the campaign just seem to sponge up a ridiculous amount of damage.

quote:

Generally your combat rounds are best spent on 2 attacks with your katana and a bonus action attack with your unarmed strike. Stunning Strike the most threatening person in the room on the first hit and your remaining hits are at advantage! And you can apply Stunning Strike with each successive hit in the event they resist it. If you're feeling grossly outnumbered or are the only one in melee, that's when I recommend taking advantage of Kensei's Agile Parry and Step of the Wind's Dodge bonus action.

Thanks! This bit was huge and I actually had no idea!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It was funny because my DM was like, "Uh, a Tarasque has 27 AC, there better be a good reason for you to have 26!" :D

Too bad the Dragonhide feat is just +1 AC; that would be tempting. I could argue I could make my unarmed strikes into slashing damage and if it was +2 AC that would work out better mathematically probably then a once per turn +4.

Yeah mobile is definitely tempting and I might go for that instead since I misunderstood Defencive Duelist. As it's a little more the style of Sekiro like character I think I'm going for. Where I just ZOOM throughout the encounter dealing with threats.

Being able to fly is pretty good too, just gotta be careful with it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Ryuujin posted:

Okay I didn't go into it last time. But this is at least the second time you have posted this ridiculous amount of AC.

So how do you have 24 AC? Let alone 26. The max I see is 19 if you hold a kensei weapon and make an unarmed strike every round, or 23 against a single attack a round if you do the same and spend your reaction.

I am assuming this is a home game and not an Adventure League game, I suspect there may be homebrew, but clearly they are using Unearthed Arcana as the Dragon Wings feat was never made official.

Also Dragonhide DOES NOT GIVE +1 AC. Just have to get that out there. Dragon Hide is terrible on a Monk who has at least 16 Wisdom. It sets your AC to 13+Dex mod.

You have 17 AC, unless I am missing something. If you hold a Kensei Weapon and make at least one Unarmed Strike then you get +2 AC until the start of your next turn. That puts you to 19. And Defensive Duelist lets you add your Proficiency modifier to AC against a single attack as a Reaction. This is a Reaction so you only get one per round, and you might have other things to use your Reaction on. Also it is only against a single attack so if they are using a multiattack against you, or if something else attacks you before the start of your next turn, you don't get the +4 bonus to AC against the other attacks.

Katana doesn't really exist in 5e, except maybe in some suggestion somewhere where it might be "just use a longsword for stats" kind of thing. And it certainly wouldn't be a 2d8, which is probably the most powerful nonmagical weapon in the game. A Greatsword, which has certain limitations, only does 2d6. Also many DMs would not allow Aarakocra, or other flying races, in their games. And certainly Adventure League would not allow it, before 5th level and even then probably only with a certificate granting permission to use.

Okay slow down there.

10 AC Base
18 DEX so +4 AC. (14)
16 WIS so +3 AC. (17)
Agile Parry +2 AC as long as I tapped someone. (19)
+1 AC from a Haori (Cloak) of Protection. (20)
Once per turn +4 AC (currently, might trade it for mobile). (24)
I had Haste casted on me at the time, another +2. (26)

Most enemies we fight have at least +8 to hit and many have +11. There's like always something like a 50% chance an enemy can hit you even with over 20 AC so I dunno if its ridiculous or not, doesn't feel like enough to me honestly.

The dragonhide feat I found clearly said +1 AC:

quote:

"Unearthed Arcana:Feats for Races":
Your scales harden; you gain a +1 bonus to AC while you aren’t wearing armor

Nothing about setting dex. It seems like a bad feat anyways so I didn't take it, but if it was +2 I probably would have.

As for the katana, Rule 0 dude, if the DM said I could have it, I could have it. Some of the other characters had some baller magic weapons so I asked for one for the new character I rolled to join the party.

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Just to address this part bc I dunno what the hell with the AC stuff either: it is indeed canon per a table in the 5E DMG that a katana in 5E is a reskinned longsword. Crawford said those were AL legal with DM approval. Who the hell would care if a player described his Fighter's longsword as a katana? There's literally a Samurai spec.

Raenir said "special drow katana" or something, so presumably it's just a magic item or special material one that's a base 2d8 instead of 1d8 with no other special properties. That's a good weapon, and a great one for a Kensei if it's nonmagical and they can then jam a to-hit bonus on it, but it's really not insane or anything. A Flametongue longsword straight from the DMG does 1d8+2d6.

What this "if kensei and nonmagical gain a to-hit bonus" do you mean adding the martial arts die for a ki point or is there something I'm missing? Or is it a later level thing? I'm currently level 9.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 19, 2020

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah that version is much worse and I would never use it as a Monk.

And eh, the DM in our case is both sides of the coin. He has NPCs try to finish you off if you get downed but will also won't prioritize the weakest targets and tend to more so go for whoever is in their face the most.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I dunno, it feels like its been weeks since we encountered someone who engaged us with less than +8 or had less than 19 AC in turn.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I wish there was a wave to breath my lightning breath on my blade so I can attack with lightning damage because it feels like my breath weapon is fairly useless =/

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My D&D group just had a impromptu :f5: TOURNAMENT ARC!!!!!!! :f5:

We were on our way to a scoured wasteland full of demons to find a tower also full of demons to raid is as a side quest while on our main quest until we encountered a STATUE.

The statue was like, "Hey, I'm bored. I'll open the secret passage way into some underground place full of goodies if you entertain me."

We were like, sure why not, would you like a TOURNAMENT!? And the Statue was like, you sunuvabitch I'm in.

Our roster:
Bard-Warlock aka Barlock.
Half Drow Warlock aka Drolock.
Our Tiefling Paladin.
Me, Kensei Monk (Samurai?).
A Tanuki rogue.
Barbarian-Battle Master Dwarf, aka a Dwarf.

So basically I think we decided one three 1v1 matches at random and then a 3-way battle royale. No rests inbetween.

The Dwarf and Barlock went first and literally drained the life out of all of us watching in real life. It was boring as the Barlock player decided to be the absolute wooooooorst, being every bit the munchkin he could be, he would proceed to spend literally an hour kiting the Dwarf around the map; the Dwarf could never quite catch up and the Barlock would keep zapping him at range.

I think literally all of us wanted to strangle him.

Eventually through his cowardly craven ways the Dwarf lost.

Next up was Me vs the Paladin, I decided to go in there, right up to the Paladin, plant my two feet there and take it like a man.

And then I proceeded to get owned in literally two rounds. :haw:

I did manage to get a crit in, but none of my attempts at stunning fist worked, and the paladin had some bonkers AC and most of my hits would just miss.

And none of the paladin's hits on me were ever at a point where I could do anything, either so high that my parry reaction wouldn't have made it miss, or low enough it would miss anyways.

I COULD have fly around and just did hit and run attacks, but after what the Barlock pulled I didn't want to win a coward's victory so I preferred defeat with honour.

After that was Drolock vs Rogue, Rogue lost. Nothing interesting to remark about, I think she misplayed something or other I don't really know what happened I was probably away from Keyboard then, it didn't last very long.

THE FINALE

So the Paladin gets up and mounts his fey outsider horse. So everyone else also mounts horses and we end up with a JOUST!!!!

There were some shenanigans happening, I think, predictably, the Paladin and Drolock agreed to a truce to take out the Barlock's horse first. Since he's a loving gently caress and needs to go down first.

Paladin takes out his horse but agrees to turn around and go after the Drolock in exchange of the Barlock sparing his horse. Causing Drolock to scream SHENANIGANS!!! Especially because technically the attack roll had already happened but it was allowed to be taken back because apparently since talking is a free action it can time travel!

Nevertheless the Paladin charges the Drolock, who manages to get the Paladin's horse but loses his own horse too.

So now everyone is on ground level on their two feet and the Drolock and Paladin decide to go after the Barlock again since he's started to retreat away from the battle zone to heal up like the little craven coward he is.

So they start to go after them and the Paladin I think shoots a javalin at him or something, but just as the Paladin is about equidistant between the two warlocks, the DROLOCK, figuratively pulls out a dagger and STABS HIM IN THE BACK!? BETRAYAL!?

The Drolock had did some spell or something that debuffs the paladin, makes it so that anyone attacking him has advantage.

The Drolock, innocently of course, claims that this was BECAUSE ACTION ECONOMY he had nothing better to do! The paladin starts to turn around to go after the Drolock who has BETRAYED HIM SO when the Drolock says he will make him fly up into the air if he comes his way, and he will LET THE COWARDLY BARLOCK WIN IF HE DOES SO!!!!

And what follows is perhaps the crankiest out of character slapfighting between two people I've witnessed. There was ancrimony, yelling, accusations, people claiming they are roleplaying when they are all being super passive aggressive and aggrieved.

It was stupid but also the kind of thing that fuels a good story I guess!

I'm like, half in character half out of character, "DON'T LET THE BARLOCK WIN FOR THE LOVE OF-"

The paladin chases the Drolock around the statue (the statue is like a 20-30 feet tall thing marking the north bit of the circle we're all in) with the Barlock buzzing the two of them before the Drolock casts Greater Invisibility and manages to negotiate a truce with the Paladin.

It took some effort, the Paladin wanted the Drolock to go into a Zone of Truth (while Invisible) to confirm he won't betray him again while he goes after the Barlock but the Drolock refuses, doesn't want the Barlock to be able to attack him and so on. I forget how they resolve it, but they do and the Paladin chases down the Barlock.

The Barlock, fully healed now, polymorph into a T-REX and CHOMPS down on the Paladin!

But the Paladin 1 round later basically cuts off his head and the T-rex transformation dispelled after losing the concentration check.

The Paladin, delivering what the crowd wants, pummels the Barlock into a bloodied pulp and then goes back after the Drolock.

The Drolock, during this time, had been casting shape earth over and over, forming a 30' tower of stone that he's perched on top of like an anime character.

Just as the Paladin comes over and takes a crack at it to knock it over the Drolock jumps to the STATUE!!!!!

The Paladin then is like, "MODS!?" urging the statue to do someting, and fails his persuasion check, so the statue just laughs at how funny it is.

So the Paladin himself now CLIMBS UP THE STATUE.

The Drolock is actually out of spells, the Paladin is out of Smites, and without any other options the Drolock TACKLES the Paladin with a grappling check trying to push him off the statue, succeeds the grapple but can't move him, so they just fist fight and punch each other.

Literally the Naruto vs Sasuke fight!!

Eventually despite a hilarious bad effect from a wild magic surge that causes the Drolock's back to itch denying him some actions the Drolock finally managed to take out the last bit of HP and the Paladin loses. The Drolock is victorious!!!

Since the Barlock lost, we were all winners in the end.

Flawless Victory!

If I had been up vs any of the casters, especially the cowardly barlock, I would've chased them down and owned them in one round. :D

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
One thing I hate about roll20 is that it's browser based. Which means my talk button conflicts with the back button and I end up booted out of it and need to wait 15 seconds to get back in. I wish they made a desktop client.

Malpais Legate posted:

With the D&D 5e stuff on Roll20, it's basically a little jankier Beyond. But the good news is that your half-drunk players don't have to remember what dice to use with what attack/spell/ability. It's just one click and it rolls it.

The bad news is that, even with my sober players, I get to hear them going "Uuuuuhhhh one second" as they alt-tab from whatever the gently caress they were doing instead of paying attention and spend thirty seconds combing through their character sheet to find the same button they loving click every turn.

I feel attacked!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My party (level 10's) fought a CR24 dragon and won! :black101:

I finally stunned the Dragon on my last ki point, burnt all of its Legendary Resistances and finally, finally, we killed it.

Two of us needed to be rezzed afterwards with the diamonds we found.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I really do feel like D&D should have something like Blood vials/estus flasks. The "Damage always outpaces healing" always seems to result in players in the group I am in, when they get downed they are only ever healed to 1 hp or the minimum because it makes no difference.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

pseudodragon posted:

A gimmick party where no one is what they present as would be fun. Especially if you can convince each of them that it’s a secret fun thing just for them that they should keep quiet about as long as possible.

Hilariously I think a couple of people in my party did this. Warlocks presenting themselves as non warlocks to the paladin.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Apparently our red dragon hoard has a mask of the red dragon in it.

quote:

Red Dragon Mask
Wondrous item, legendary (requires attunement)
This mask of glossy crimson has swept-back horns and spiked cheek ridges. The mask reshapes to fit a wearer attuned to it. While you are wearing the mask and attuned to it, you can access the following properties.

Damage Absorption. You have resistance against fire damage. If you already have resistance to fire damage from another source, you instead have immunity to fire damage. If you already have immunity to fire damage from another source, whenever you are subjected to fire damage, you take none of that damage and regain a number of hit points equal to half the damage dealt of that type.
Draconic Majesty. While you are wearing no armor, you can add your Charisma bonus to your Armor Class.
Dragon Breath. If you have a breath weapon that requires rest to recharge, it gains a recharge of 6.
Dragon Sight. You gain darkvision out to 60 feet, or to an additional 60 feet if you already have that sense. Once per day, you can gain blindsight out to 30 feet for 5 minutes.
Dragon Tongue. You can speak and understand Draconic. You also have advantage on any Charisma check you make against Red Dragons.
Legendary Resistance. (1/Day) If you fail a saving throw, you can choose to succeed instead.
Dragon Fire. If you deal fire damage to a creature or flammable object, it starts burning. At the start of each of its turns, a creature burning in this way takes 1d6 fire damage. A creature that can reach the burning target can use an action to extinguish the fire

Some nice upgrades for my Dragonborn Monk here. I already had fists of Burning, so that does an extra 1d6 on punching things. Get to use my breath weapon more often and maybe an extra point to my AC? Plus other small goodies, like no longer failing a crucial save once a day/long rest(?)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My party was level 10, but we also beat a CR 24 red dragon to get it, so.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Considering the Dragon gets like 2 legendary actions on every character's turn, action economy isn't in our favour!

Terratina posted:

Do tell the secret how to!

Half of us still died, but we did 90 damage up front because we built a MOAB that we sent in ahead of us and detonated it (probably losing half the hoard) and then had/used basically that anti-material rifle from Chiaki Coffin Princess that an artificer we came across had built specifically for hunting that dragon.

We had a... Battle Master Barbarian? Whatever it did, the Dragon attacked at disadvantage most of the encounter, and our Warlock after I burned its resistances came in and made it think its wings were tied up by chains so it couldn't do its wing attacks.

Two of us straight up died, the paladin forgot he had a kupo coin and so he revived halfway through again and healed a couple of us to last a few more rounds before dying again, another was downed, I got bewitched for a turn until I ate its fire breath, but in the opening round I got lucky (or rather the Dragon was unlucky) enough to burn all of its legendary resistances with my (DC15) stunning fist and on the last turn of the combat where it was do or die it crit failed it's roll and I finally stunned it.

Then it died, with me doing the final blow!

Then we ended the session there, but presumably we spent some diamonds to revive the people who were dead-dead.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My DM does voices and they're alright. I balance it out by having even worse voices for my characters, in my mind all my Dragonborn come from the same area, are related to each other (none have died, I just rotate between different characters, and having them know each other already helps), and have a ludicrous southern accent, even to the point of eating grits.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'll admit I mainly did the voice I did so I could make My Cousin Vinny references.

One time though a little light trolling,
One of the Americans: "Do you even know what grits are!?"
Me: "Yeah, they're like Southern pasta right? Since you boil them?"

To me what makes this exchange funnier is I'm pretty sure the person asking me isn't actually from the south.

Other items from the hoard:

quote:

Masterwork Blacksteel Longsword (X2)
+2 to hit, Versatile
Description: A Blade made from the Blackened, It's warm to the touch and holds its edge with an almost unnatural quality.

I assume this ISN'T an upgrade to me 2d8 katana since the +2 doesn't stack with my Sharpen the Blade ability. But if it does maybe I can dual wield?

quote:

Masterwork Ebony Longbow
+2 to Hit, Ammunition, Heavy, Range, Two-Handed

This seems like an upgrade over my current standard longbow.

quote:

Drinking Horn of Norris Nathram
Requires Attunment, Artifact, Wonderous Item

The Drinking Horn can produce up to two gallons of any sort of Beverage consumed by its user after it has been attuned. The Amount of Liquid the Horn Can Produce resets at the dawn of each day. Liquid cannot be poured out of the Horn, Only Drunk from it.

You no longer gains disadvantage from Poisoned Conditions inflicted by nonmagical sources (Such as being drunk)

Whenever you are Poisoned, as an action you may activate the Horn to remove the Poisoned condition, If you choose to do so, enemies have disadvantage on attack rolls against you and you have advantage on attack rolls until the end of your next turn, at which point the Horn Empties and cannot be used in such a way again until the next dawn

For the Dwarf probably.

quote:

Cloak of the Crow
Requires Attunement, Legendary, Wonderous Item

This elegant garment is made from fine black feathers and blackened silk of an unknown origin, It produces no sound and is soft to the touch
You gain these benefits while wearing and attuned to the cloak:

You have advantage on stealth checks to hide and remain hidden so long and enemies have disadvantage to perceive you so long as you are in dim light or darker
You have perfect Darkvision
You may speak with Birds and Kenku as much as their intelligence allows
Once per day you may as an action surround yourself in the cloak and transform into a Giant Raven (Giant Eagle Statblock) if you are reduced to 0 Health as a Raven you immediately transform back.
You Gain +1 AC

I assume this is for the Rogue, its useful for me but I prefer the +1 to saves my current cloak gives.

quote:

Magical Golden Ring
Wonderous Item, Requires Attunment

A Golden Ring with soft engraving on the interior and exterior depicting Thorns and waves

When you place the Ring on your finger and you are attuned to it you become Invisible
While you are invisible, living beings glow colors based on their alignment while everything else can only be seen in shades of grey.
Performing any action or interacting with anyone or anything in a substantial way causes you to immediately reappear, this includes being damaged by an effect, attack or ability

I assume this is also for the Rogue.

quote:

An Unassuming Deck of Cards

An Unassuming deck of about 22 Cards.

Intriguing.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Wow my party are dicks, someone else also wants the mask.

Lost 2 int and then regained 2 int by drawing 2 cards from the deck of wonders.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 1, 2020

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Bobo the Red posted:

I mean, if they're a CHA caster, hard to blame them for wanting +5 AC

They were a barbarian battle master :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Eraflure posted:

Fun fact: they won't need their fancy new item anymore if you coup de grâce them in their sleep

He's died died twice so far, so I figure third time's the charm.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Kaal posted:

Challenge them to a "Dragon Off". May the best dragon win!

Whats great is that apparently the mask was cursed and is slowly going to turn him into a Dragon and he keeps it on anyways!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nephthys posted:

Is becoming a dragon really a curse? Seems like an upside to me.

He's not worthy.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Moreau posted:

Does cosmic horror work within dnd? Are there any good splat books or sites that delve into that area? Thinking about some fun ways to flavour an Ancients Paladin order

The Ilithids are basically a cosmic horror race serving dark and alien gods from the Far Realms which is as close to a plane of pure madness you can get. Aberrations and Abominations in general follow those tropes.

For world ending events/quests there's the elder evils handbook, albeit originally for 3.5e but I think you can port it to 5e easily enough. Most of them deal with putting the evil back into its tomb to push the end of the world back until another day.

The basic idea is that you have these ancient, elder, unfathomably evil things that existed since before the gods did and the gods at best could only sorta seal them away; either because they are a part of the backbone of reality in some way, are reality itself and the gods are just pale imitations that exist within a dream, or were created by the gods and ended up being too powerful to be controlled and so on. All sorts of ways of playing with it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Horror can be done well, you just gotta know how to present that sort of story well while only letting them interact with things interactively in ways that don't feel forced.

For example, if a party is really good at killing things then make it so that those things don't stay dead.

Also never let them actually face an actual elder god, fighting it's avatar or something sure; like the Eldrazi from MTG; something that is just its "shadow" on the grand material plane but isn't actually "it". A set back sure if they manage to defeat it, but not something that actually matters in the long run. In 6,000 years the party will all be dead and the elder evil will still be out there, squirming and convulsing in screeching hatred for all living things, not interrupted not even for a moment by the actions of the party, it never noticed them to begin with.

Which is the other thing about lovecraftian inspired evil things is that most of the time, the biggest most powerful things, i.e the ones you'd be worry about being world enders, these things don't know about you. They don't care about you. They have as much care about you as you do for the ants that lay beneath your feet. So basically everything the party faces and barely manages to surmount are things that never actually mattered in the grand scheme of things.

Like, all of these weird alien golems that you cleared out? Just its immune system fending you off, at best you were like a bacterial infection to its awareness.

The ancient cults? All of them are just deluded, none of them will get any reward other than dying first. They were all driven insane by knowledge beyond their comprehension.

There's lots of ways to still have things that your party can attempt to stab or talk to, but still have in the end, contribute to the Great Unnerving.

You can also have like, alien civilizations that are more advanced than the world you're party is from and everything is all Arthur C Clark of impossibly advanced science is basically magic and they all get destroyed in a blink in the eye by some elder thing just off the edge of everything and they were invading your world to escape from the greater threat.

Basically, on the small encounter by encounter scale, you have a lot of options to make the party feel like they are in control, but gradually introduce elements where it's clear they are losing control, and then eventually coup de grace them by showing, spec ops the line style: They were never in control, nothing they did mattered, nothing they did was worth the elder being's notice, they were nothing, and this is a mercy, because if they did get noticed, that would be nightmarish.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

BigRed0427 posted:

SO i've been listening to a lot of DnD Horror stories on youtube and came across this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxHT1KXdrfk

With some tweaking, you could make a cult-horror campaign around a adventuring company that travels around in an airship that hires new people and it turns out it's basically a cult and the PCs are set to be sacrificed once their powerful enough? Something like that.

I love everything about this idea. It's along the same lines of an idea where every adventure should end like the ending of 8-bit theater. The powers that be arresting the party for high crimes and putting them on trial.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
In addition to the thing about wanting to avoid seeming like you're being railroady or unfair, one thing is I think that makes cosmic horror work best if the bloodborne formula of having it be a big bait and switch. Where things begin "normal", perhaps gothic horror. Lots of undead, vampires, ghouls, wights, werewolves, but slowly transition into weird things as they hit mid-levels and onwards with the reality warping 4th wall leaning things done only sparringly and built up over time.

Basically you gotta foreshadow them in a low stakes way first so there isn't unfairness generated but also hints at the mechanic's existance moving forward in a higher stakes environment.

As an example regarding sanity checks, don't call them Sanity checks, only make it apparent what they actually are once they got enough knowledge or faced a certain boss that it unlocks what it is and how to mitigate it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Considering how many skilled combat professions in Medieval times and earlier started in childhood (Jannisarries, Being a Knight, etc) I think it also presents a wide amount of easy to roleplay backgrounds. I think it makes sense if you're starting a fresh campaign from level 1.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Several prominent Roman generals/politicians started their careers at 14 to 16, I'm not sure what you're reaction is, but the historical precedent is there.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

BattleMaster posted:

I would like to hear the gory details of what prompted this in particular

Maybe they RP'd a Kender?

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Child heroes are an enormously popular trope in all fiction, let alone fantasy, and this weird new thread groove where actually that's bad is not a good take.

Like if someone makes playing a child at the table weird, that's on them and maybe you, not the concept.

Yup, and lets you also access some interesting backstories, like maybe your village had all the adults drafted to fight the King's war and you were pressed into the militia to help out and that's why you're a fighter while also grappling with the sudden onset of responsibilities you weren't ready for.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Sounds like basically most anime characters. I don't see the issue here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Ignite Memories posted:

My child-char is a 15-year old warlock named Agnès Mystagogicon-Kaplan. She was arranged-married to a book with a demon trapped in it (long story)

Just recently she defeated the plane's Baba Yaga analogue in single combat when her allies were thrown from a moving house. When her allies found her, they were like "Where's the witch?" and she was like "I'm the witch now."

This sounds badass and I'd watch this if it was a tv show.

Kaal posted:

Yeah, agreed. Background features should always be usable, though circumstances might affect how they are implemented. Rustic Hospitality in a city might mean resting at an out-of-the-way tavern, or a caravan of rural travellers, or a houseboat owned by salty fishermen, or a suburban fieldworkers hut, or a supportive homeless camp, or a friendly factory workshop.

This brings up a question, in the campaign I'm in, one of us is a Paladin with a royal pedigree, so he has a thing he can show people that shows that he's a noble and they gotta let him in to do Noble Things(tm). But then we got transported to a different continent where we don't speak the language. How does it work then? Is it like a super iluminati ring like in the Simpsons?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 6, 2020