Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Also as shameless self promotion and because it also comes up every few weeks, here's the Universal Martial Maneuvers homebrew I put together to give all martials more maneuvers and choices. The main point of difference to most other homebrew of this kind is that it's universal, you do not need to be running a new class to use it.

Also it recently creeped into copper best seller.

quote:

An ever growing expansion of martial maneuvers to all classes. Now includes 95 martial maneuvers ranging from Tier 1 through to Tier 5 to suit your campaign level and play style.
Maneuvers range from basic techniques equivalent to the PHB Battle Master maneuvers all the way to Tier 5 abilities that approach the effects of a Wish but draw the ire of the gods.
The limit is the courage of your character.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/230244/Norts-Universal-Martial-Maneuvers

Claytor posted:

Nort's Universal Martial Maneuvers saves the Fighter by killing the Battlemaster. You can play any other Fighter archetype and still use the Battlemaster's maneuvers.
In fact, the Battlemaster's maneuvers are made available to every character.
Fighters get the most maneuvers, the most dice, and the biggest dice, and regain all of their dice on a short rest. Other martial classes get fewer maneuvers, their dice are fewer and weaker, and they only regain one die on a short rest. Casters get a few maneuvers later in the game, with a few small dice which recover one at a time on a short rest.
The idea is that Fighters and other martial classes benefit from a variety of new options, while casters might pick up a couple of utility abilities for battlefield healing or a quick AC boost.
Maneuvers themselves get broken up into five tiers, with Fighters getting Tier 5 maneuvers earlier than other martial classes and casters topping out at Tier 3.
The maneuvers themselves get a bunch of additions and alterations. Some maneuvers gain advantage or extra effects if you have the right skill proficiency or weapon.

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The post about how the Fighter should be "the hero" still seems like the most reasonable change - - whoever it was that said a fighter should inspire and be a leader and an exemplar of their people.

I don't know how to systematize it, but it's like the only idea here that has stayed on task in recognizing that Fighter needs more love in the other pillars more than he needs to be better at killing.

These are a few of the inspirational maneuvers from:

Tier 3 maneuver (Fighters level 9; Martials level 11; caster level 19):

Norts Universal Martial Maneuvers posted:

Warlord’s Recovery:
Prerequisite: Charisma 12+, Fighter or Barbarian Proficiency: Performance
When a creature friendly to you that you can see takes damage or fails a saving throw, if that creature can see and hear you, you can expend one superiority die and use a reaction to bolster that ally. You grant the creature one of the following benefits based on the trigger:
1. If the creature failed a saving throw, it can reroll the saving throw and use either result, adding the superiority die to the chosen roll.
2. If the creature took damage, roll the superiority de and add half your fighter level. Reduce the triggering instance of damage by the resulting amount.

Mojo:
Proficiency: Intimidation or Performance
As an action, you confer inspiration to friendly creatures that can see or hear you.
Roll as many superiority die as you wish to commit and add the results. You may confer inspiration to HD of creatures equal to the result.

Tier 4 maneuver (Fighters level 13; Martials level 15; casters never):

Legend:
Perform legendary physical acts that once witnessed cannot be forgotten. Those who witness and survive ensure you are the zeitgeist.
At the beginning of your turn, you spend and roll one superiority dice. You draw the eye of all who can see you until the beginning of your next turn. Your actions impress upon the minds of those witnessing you and will be recalled and discussed for days to come. Multiply your level by the results of your superiority dice roll, the result is your Legend score.
Witnesses will recall and talk about your actions to others as part of their downtime activities for a number of hours equal to the Legend score. The consequences of this chatter and increasing renown depend upon the nature of your actions, how may witness the legendary action, which factions they belong to and the context of the campaign.
Legend may also sow panic and intimidation amongst enemies, or affect other factions differently.

Legend mechanically works with the Renown optional rule on DMG p 22 and now Strongholds and Followers is out I'm adapting it to include attracting followers as per the tables there. That will lead to some rules offering squad leadership possibilities. The idea there is to dovetail with the warfare rules from S&F.

DrSunshine posted:

To risk throwing in my two cents into the fray, I have an idea for the "fighter" problem. That doesn't involve changing over to a totally different system!

What about just giving Fighters an extra series of abilities: Heroic Feats. :words:

yes, that's what this is.

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 28, 2018

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

is gud.

Has anyone tried any of the modules from this? I've been reading the Border Kingdoms campaign supplement and it's handy for a bit of hexcrawl / ideas for provincial settings. The modules seem promising but I'm not ready to commit $$ to any.

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 28, 2018

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

I also discovered stunlocking players for more than a turn is awful and a red flag to modify the encounter. It feels like a vestigial appendix from the more adversarial D&D, sometimes that's good but the players should know it's that kind of encounter. My players have explicit warning about aberrations and especially mind flayers, to be feared and carefully prepared for. eg: How far does it's cone go? Can it be hit at range? Can we buff Int? Where does one get this information?

As a B plan you could use the Short Term Madness table in the DMG if you think the encounter is going to gently caress things up too much. Either use it when the save is failed and give the character a short term madness instead or let the characters be stunned at first for a turn or so and then roll them a madness for the balance of the effect duration.

If you don't want to modify Illithid lore then you could decide that an item on the party creates psychic distortion, whaddaya know? That item should be studied...

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Kaysette posted:

I used a ulitharid big bad once and part of the prep for that fight was getting several headbands of mind blank from some githzerai monks prior to the combat. It let part of the party flank the monster and get the drop while being immune to the blast. I also gave the ulitharid some psion/mystic attacks and lair actions (and legendary resistance) so it had more to do.

That's all good. There's a big difference between using mind flayers against a prepared and fore warned party and dropping them in as a wandering monster. The difference is don't drop them in as a wandering monster.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

MonsterEnvy, save vs cone of dogpile again. At disadvantage from Alphadogs third degree maneuver.

Anyway, now looking at the tables again, the long term madness table might be a better alternative to stunlock as very few long term madness's incapacitate, while about 60% of the short term results continue to knock out the character.

Kaysette had it right though, it's a battle you need to prep for. I'm still wondering if the OP initially complaining about mind flayers was surprising the party with them or had given them a chance to prepare.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Therapeutic Crystal Helmet of Neutral Vibration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aaJoLV7xko

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

lightrook posted:

It's a simple and straightforward case of selective pressures at work: only maze-savant minotaurs could escape the labyrinth, reproduce, and populate the world, while all the others lived and died in the labyrinth and never made it out. As a result, all modern minotaurs in the world are descended from a maze-savant ancestor with the instinctive genius to escape the labyrinth. :pseudo:

It's taken all day for the one good post in the 5e thread.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Feel free to have a look at this universal maneuvers system cooked up out of the threads regular martial talk.

This is the $3 version which has better balanced implementation table and more maneuvers including more social / influence options. There's an update coming out which is intending to line up some maneuvers to the warfare rules in the Strongholds and Followers book from Colville.

This is the pwyy which is an earlier version of the above. Most of the maneuvers are borrowed or adapted from previous work by goons and others so go nuts, use it as you like. I had similar questions to your about scaling and who gets to use maneuvers. Hope it's helpful to the system for your game.

Seems to be about every 8 pages someone prompts me to post this again, so see y'all on page 24 I guess.

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 8, 2019

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Zev posted:

I asked this in the board games thread, and maybe I should ask it here too.

Are there any board games you might recommend to see if people could be interested in D&D? I know wizards makes a D&D adventure system game, but having never played it, I don't know if it could serve as a light intro to dungeon crawling. I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

I have a group of people who semi regularly get together for a game night and I would like to try to run D&D, but i'm not sure that they would like it. Really looking for like a halfway point.

Settlers of Catan creates interesting table dynamics and deal-making, alliances and betrayals. You can then expand to the more rules heavy Cities and Knights and then some scenario expansions like Explorers and Pirates. I had some people who love Catan but D&D wasn't for them but I think they tried out of enjoying Catan.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

if he didn't think the party composition was great, why did he have to kill one of the characters instead of just talking to them about how maybe they should switch out one of the classes for something else?

Drama marketing for his stream duh, which worked with nerds that like to argue this poo poo.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

koreban posted:

It was definitely done for the stream’s benefit, not the players. YMMV as far as opinions on how that goes over with folks here.

He posted to his subreddit quoting a convo he had. I was wrong that Lars didn’t know explicitly that he was going to be the one to die, and apparently he was upset about wasting the javelin of lightning more than his character.

Hot takes to follow.

Yeah I didn't mean to sound quite the shitbag in my remark as it may have come across. It did sound like a marketing move is all.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

It's a decent effort. We have a new player running a Kuo Toa (who thinks he's an elf) cleric and he got the ability to perceive invisible creatures from that book. As the party is now headed to a Duergar city and the Duergar know well the Kuo Toa can see them sneaking about invisibly it's going to make for interesting time when they force him to wear a bucket on his head before entering the city...

e: I could add some more about it but I'm running out the door - anything in particular you'd like to know?

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 7, 2019

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

AnEdgelord posted:

Are there any good resources out there for the Shadowfell? I looking to spice up a Curse of Strahd game and towards the end there are some connections to the Shadowfell I hope to follow up on but I realized I have no actual idea what going there actually entails.

I've been reading this and it's good, except the price.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/264872/Ulraunts-Guide-to-the-Planes-The-Shadowfell?src=hottest_filtered&filters=45469

It borrows content from the 4e book but it's well written in it's own right. It does sometimes use the author's homebrew epic level rules so there are level 20+ encounters but all in all you could adjust and run some adventures from the settings in here.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

Maybe it’s just my phone but this link doesn’t want to work for me. Which title were you recommending?

Sorry for slow response. It's "Ulraunt's Guide to the Planes: The Shadowfell"

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/264872/Ulraunts-Guide-to-the-Planes-The-Shadowfell?src=hottest_filtered&filters=45469

It's been most popular on DMs Guild for a few weeks now. I'm definitely going to pinch something from it for my Out of the Abyss campaign.

One thing I find odd about the Shadowfell that this book also does - it's supposed to be a place where the souls of the recently dead travel on their way to the outer planes or to realm of Kelemvor / insert god of he dead here. Yet I can't recall that scene being played out dramatically in a module or splatbook like this. Something like Speak with Dead could be much more fun if the caster is transported to the Shadowfell and interrupts Kelemvor's bureaucratic minion introductory seminar for the afterlife to ask tiresome mortal questions of one of the audience of nervous souls, which fucks up the paperwork and half the audience ends up in the wrong place. Wait that's a TV show, anyway, some poo poo like that.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

koreban posted:

Tips to running combats that are fun and also aren't spreadsheet simulations:

1. Use Giffglyph's monster maker system (that relies on Gradenko's tables) to make monsters with interesting and varying abilities. Try to synergize at least two of the monsters' abilities.

Thanks for this post! Where can I find Giffglyph's monster maker system?

Also on monster abilities, I just bought this 336 page supplement which adds new abilities and types to every entry in the monster manual, $20 but so far it's worth it, way more interesting abilities and monster effects.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

That’s amazing, thanks!

Does anyone have any or found any resources for traps for PCs to use and carry? Our party is shopping at a market run by kobolds and their trapsmiths.

Found brief mention in DMG, Xanathars and comprehensive equipment manual but not the handy list I was hoping for.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Can anyone tell me the name of that weapons supplement that gave each weapon special properties and generally made weapon choices more interesting ? I remember seeing it earlier but can't find it again.

Beyond Damage Dice.

Also the comprehensive equipment manual is excellent for more interesting weapon properties.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

It was something like
Party declares they are looking for traps.
Party moves at half speed.
Trap detection DCs checked against lead PCs passive perception or investigation and auto detected if equal or lower.
If DC is higher PC rolls active perception or investigation and triggers the trap on a fail.

On secret doors I'm not 100% but it's the same except DM secretly makes that last roll for active perception / investigation since the outcome for a fail is no knowledge...?

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 19, 2019

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What would be good builds for a pair of cat burglar/assassin sort of NPCs? They should be able to sneak their way in and lie their way out, or vice versa. Maybe not so strong in prolonged combat, but good at avoiding combat and capable of a good strong hit and run.

I was thinking arcane trickster/sorceror for one for subtle spell and mage hand hijinks and maybe some flavor of bard for the other? If he was brutal with melee sort of precision damage that would be good too. The kind of guy who can deal 50 damage in a turn once, but then he’s out of tricks and has to run. I’ve only DMed 5e so I never really build characters-these guys are probably 8th-9th level? If they wind up in a fight with the party of 4 5-6th lvl PCs level I want it to be a tough fight.

They’re NPCs so obviously they don’t have to be exactly RAW but I’d like them to have some basis in real mechanics.

Shadow monk / arcane trickster is good to pillage from. I've seen shadow step as an ability on several NPC / monsters. Shadow Step + sneak attack + high movement ranged kiting + hit and run should keep them busy.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

OutsideAngel posted:

...despite the fact that kick rear end warriors in every myth and legend and fantasy novel since forever have also excelled off the battlefield. Beowulf unlocks his word vault to win over Hrothgar's men, Arthur calls up all the greatest knights, Spartacus keeps the legions chasing his dust for three years, Conan excels at stealth and thievery, Musashi writes decent poetry.

It’s leadership. Squad based, horde summoning or commanding an army.

That’s the idea behind the “mojo” abilities in the martial maneuvers homebrew I put out.

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 10, 2019

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Fumbles posted:

Houserules? Got a couple. I've always seen 5e as a usable toolkit to easily modify so after playing a few games in it I've modified it quite a bit.

-Critical Hit and Critical Fumble Decks.
-Lingering Injuries to prevent weeble-wobble combat
-Ways to spend Hit Dice to do cool poo poo besides healing, based on Class/Race combinations
-More interesting travel/survival systems
-Alchemy subsystem since magic is less common
-Universal Martial Maneuvers to buff the martials
-Weapon abilities to do the same
-simple equipment damage/degradation system to get people spending money

and then there's stuff I've got tucked away and may never end up using like some Stronghold and Airship guidelines if the party ever decides they want to turn their wilderness exploration adventurer's guild campaign into something larger. It sounds like a lot but they're all typically so unconnected from each other that it's easy to keep track of, usually just requiring a few simple notes and some extra resource tracking. I'm a very "let the cool poo poo happen" DM but some of my players are creativity-starved so introducing stuff like "Greatswords can hit 2 targets for 1d6 each" and "you can mix these two herbs together to make a poison bomb" that they don't need to GM-May-I me to do makes them feel really satisfied with their options.
Some similar houserules to us!
I'm curious about the cool poo poo Hit Dice spendings?
What alchemy system are you using? We're using comprehensive equipment manual poisons / alchemy section and monster harvesting tables off DMs guild.
Travel / survival stuff felt super redundant with our druid & ranger to the point where their contribution is invisible aside from fluff DM remarks. I'd read some new systems though if it makes what they do more visible or interesting.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Fumbles posted:

I could compile what I have on a google doc somewhere and post it if you want, but I've only got abilities written up for my actual party.

Yeah sure I'd find that interesting :).

I'm a big fan of Wraith Wrights Comprehensive Manuals. Well balanced, consistent rules, lots of alchemy / poisons, interesting rules on magic item creation / modification which meshes somewhat with some of the monster harvesting ideas in Monster Loot which I'm introducing to add kind of survivalist feel for the party now they're Tier 2 and not shitkickers anymore.

You also mentioned Universal Martial Maneuvers - is that this one? How is that working out? What level is your party?

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Marathanes posted:

p 140: "Wearing and Wielding Items - Using a magic item's properties might mean wearing or wielding it. ...A magic item meant to be worn must be donned in the intended fashion...

a shield strapped to the arm

Conspiratiorist posted:

Natural language!

Plus you've also got stuff like the Animated Shield which logically doesn't work if it's strapped to your arm.

pg151 DMG posted:

The shield leaps into the air and hovers in your space to protect you as if you were wielding it, leaving your hands free.

You could almost reach the conclusion that if a specific rule contradicts a general rule, the specific rule wins.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

But there's no need, just refer to:

page 7 PHB posted:

many racial traits, class features, spells, magic items, monster abilities, and other game elements break the general rules in some way, creating an exception to how the rest of the game works. Remember this: If a specific rule contradicts a general rule, the specific rule wins.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

No it's a question of which is the specific rule.

I'd say the specific rule is the stipulation of donned in the intended fashion, which for a shield is strapped to the arm. By comparison "holding this shield" is vague, so I'm reading the specific rule isn't the first sentence of the individual item description, it's the rule that goes into the specifics of how magic items function.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

what I'd be suspicious about is allowing bonus actions in the middle of an action. Off the top of my head it doesn't really break anything, but is also not how the game works.

You choose when to take a bonus action during your turn, unless the bonus action's timing is specified, 

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Splicer posted:

I may be misunderstanding you here, but that's the point. If your game has both "A strong guy" and "can rewrite reality" as character classes the strong guy level progression shouldn't go "strongish guy -> stronger guy -> maybe Olympic level I guess?", it should go "strong guy -> Batman -> Hercules von Beowulf"

Not to just spruik my homebrew but, this is just exactly the path I'm trying to take mundanes / martials and especially fighters with Norts Universal Martial Maneuvers. The maneuver "True Mojo" in particular is intended to reflect a situation where a mundane has become so excellent that they attract the attention of the gods who question how a mortal can achieve so much. From this questioning the gods then compete to become the patron of the mundane martial and they assist the martial, hoping to win their favour. In this way, step by step, the martial proceeds from being a pawn to becoming a champion and then peer of the gods.

That's the intention anyway. I actually think I'm asking that one maneuver to do a lot of conceptual legwork and when I have time I'll revise again to expand the range of "challenge the god" type Tier 5 maneuvers. In it's present state it's almost spitballing ideas and relies on the DM to make it fit their campaign. That might be unavoidable. Anyway I think for fighters in D&D Tier 4 should be about leading armies and Tier 5 is challenging the gods. I 100% agree with the general criticism that vanilla 5e lacks that epic god level progression.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I feel like leading armies is a goal for, like, bards and paladins, less so for other classes. My impression is most players want their characters to become, in themselves, more powerful as they level up. "Soft skills" like leading armies is definitely a thing that high-level characters will either be doing or be adjacent to doing (simply because their personal power is on the order of a small nation, they'd better get involved in martial politics eventually), but I don't think your average fighter PC has a long-term goal of being a general.

Fighters are more relatable to the common soldiery than those charisma based classes. The power increasing in the fighter is their influence on others. I'm extending the logic behind rolling intimidate based on strength instead of charisma to the mojo required for leadership and gravitas influencing commoners, then soldiery and armies, then gods.

That said there are plenty of other maneuvers for martial not interested in the influence power arc. The influence power arc is there to address the demand for more narrative power for martials.

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

I still see a lot of DMs who rail hard against martials being able to accomplish anything that, say, your average real life weightlifter would be able to do. I think granting abilities like "You can punch hard enough to break steel" or whatever will just have people shrieking about realism until it gets changed back to the way its always been.

Gods are real in this game. Tell me about realism again?

If the problem is how to give martials more narrative power at high levels, then influence bestowed by gods impressed with the accomplishments of a mortal works well enough for me.

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jun 22, 2019

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Yeah I guess the martial empowerment movement is a bit niche. I mean I guess you're right but I don't really care.

e: but then I'm a massive 1e grognard too who thinks cantrips should be abolished so don't listen to me.

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jun 22, 2019

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Yeah, I'm not arguing with there being a soldier progression option / set of powers, just feeling like the kind of player that chooses a class based on "I want to be the absolute best at physical combat" is gonna be more interested in pushing that angle as far as possible and less so in saying "and now that I'm high-level I get to kick back and let my minions do the work". Some people will be, I'm sure.

The maneuvers for leading armies / mass warfare are optional. The martial could instead choose personal physical combat maneuvers. The only point of influence as a scalable metric is using gods to account for superhuman feats in a fantasy elfgame universe. Along the way you could use influence to affect locals or mass armies but it's not a skill tree where you need A to unlock B and so on.

Going to Greek and Norse mythology for more fighter ideas could be worthwhile. There's a lot of heroes running around that are basically human power fantasies, whether or not they're explicitly god-empowered. Having your L10+ fighter be able to grab a giant by the shin and throw them to the ground (or into another giant), be so strong they can wreck fortifications with their bare hands, hell, let them win a staring contest with Medusa because they're so badass.

Yeah that's a good source and that's right it doesn't have to be god-empowered. I'm just teasing out a system where it is because it gives the DM some mechanic to work with. For example you could have some plot hook table which offers up consequences for a martial invoking divine favour to punch a mountain out of the way like upsetting a local god of the now diverted river who is now vengeful and wants x, y or z.

For those specific examples though there is a maneuver letting you grapple higher size categories. The staring contest with Medusa could be an intimidate check plus superiority dice to deny a nominated monster effect, though personally I'd prefer that be involving some divine intervention whether the character knows it or not.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Narsham posted:

And archetypes still stand outside of it, although without classes you can pick one archetype and match it with any mix of abilities you want, theoretically including dumb things like Master of the Five Elements plus not having any Ki points. This does mean that good archetypes remain better than bad ones, although there's a bit of balancing across archetypes. (Some of these values are probably off: cleric archetypes should cost more because you can get them at L1 with weapon and armor proficiencies bundled into them, but bard archetypes are a mix of terrible and good so giving a one build point discount for taking one might not balance as well.)

Character design rules and L1 abilities (.docx file):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kf1dc0t8etiif8w/modular5Edraftrules.docx?dl=0

Spreadsheet with all purchasable abilities post-character creation (.xlsx file):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sgp25x9hfl7538i/modularabilities.xlsx?dl=0

I like this, it's a good framework but could you be explicit on why archetypes are not also mix and matchable? The examples I'm thinking of are Shadow Monk / Gloom Stalker & Beastmaster Ranger looking to pick up other 3rd level Ranger archetypal abilities at level 7 and 11 instead of the useless BM abilities(Gloom Stalker & Monster Hunter respectively). Is archetype mixing in the works? Is it just too OP any way you look at it?

I do like that my Shadow Monk can drop Deflect Missiles and pick up Cunning Action & Sneak Attack / Thieves Cant. However by level 6 I find I'm really paying for taking on Sneak Attack as I can't afford Slow Fall. Uncanny Dodge and choosing between Sneak Attack 2d6 or Stunning Strike is a fair trade though. Pushing Shadow Monk towards Rogue without losing Ki progression is a very good thing.

I think Saves should be as per first archetype choice or cost 1BP for each change. Too much DEX and WIS otherwise.
Maybe a dumb question but what are Simple+ weapons?
Can you explain the justification for Bards getting +2 BP for their archetype? Maybe expand on those BP choices for archetypes?

I agree that Extra Attack might be overpriced.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Beastmasters should absolutely be able to warg to scout through their companions eyes. It should probably be the 7th level ability. Some kind of stealth boost for the beast companion should be in there too. By 11th level Beastmasters should be able to summon and recruit local wildlife to their cause, have permanent speak to animal. In my campaign I'm likely offering options like that to our BM.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I think the best solution is to give every martial a mechanic similar to Battlemaster Maneuvers or Ki, which is really just a way of saying "giving them encounter/daily powers" ala 4E or the Bo9S from 3E. Ideas for Barbarian Maneuvers include a couple you listed (big pushes/throws, sundering enemy bodies Monster Hunter style), something that lets him grab foes without sacrificing damage, and a movement option that lets the Barbarian charge or leap while doing damage to every enemy in his path or at the impact point of a massive jump.

I made a homebrew system for that here:

And the free version is here:
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/231023/Norts-Universal-Martial-Maneuvers--Basics

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Is there a rule against upscaling CR to player level for polymorph so you can get Monty Python's killer rabbit? Just reskin stat blocks into the form of a beast the character has seen before.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Huh,ok. Is there a quick guide / table for upscaling CR?

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

You can transform something into any beast of the appropriate CR. So if the DM wanted to make a CR 6 killer rabbit, that would be doable.

I was sceptical but looked at the spell wording and don't see this usage of the spell explicitly forbidden.

"The new form can be any beast whose Challenge rating is equal to or less than the target's (or the target's level, if it doesn't have a Challenge rating)."
Becomes...
"I polymorph Kevin the raging barbarian into a CR 6 rabbit."
Outcome being...
Bunny of Caerbannor
AC 15 HP 146 Att +6 Bite 39 (5d12 +7) plus rage damage resistance (because polymorph says beast statistics are used but says nothing about conditions)

Yet googling doesn't find polymorph used in this way. So it's weird. I think I'd allow this as DM because it's potentially more creative than the conventional interpretation. Gotta say though the CR rules on DMG p274 are a little unwieldy for on the fly stat generation at first glance.

I like it, but this poo poo can't be right.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

I'm a believer!

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Splicer, Gharbad, Marathenes, Conspiratorist and Narsham collectively made the best effort posts this thread has seen back there on page 195. Narsham, remember, No means Yes :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Gharbad the Weak posted:

TooMuchAbstraction was the one who knew it was a Pop-O-Matic, not me.

I'd be a better human if I understood wtf you're referring to their but I liked your Amazon analogy post mainly. At the risk of your reference flying even further over my head I noticed TooMuchAbstraction didn't post on page 195 but that's ok too, it's all good.

e: oh you mean this!

ee: ok which of you is this?

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Sep 15, 2019