Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I'd be way too nervous about sending a really weak monster, and then that monster crits and does enough damage to down a PC. A kobold critting and then rolling well (even if it's a low chance, it's going to happen to someone) would down anyone at or below 12 HP. A d8 hit point class will have, unless there's some trickery involved that I'm unaware of, a maximum of 12 HP, assuming the Rogue decided to floor it on constitution. 2/3rds of level 1 classes have a maximum hit point level of 12 or below. Kobold is a CR 1/8th, and there's at least one 1/8th creature that rolls d8+1 for damage. There are a few CR 0 creatures that can one-shot dudes on a crit.

I mean, you could throw actual rats at them.

Edit: "Ok, guys, for this first session, monsters don't crit, they only hit on a 20" would be... a way to handle that.

That’s what the high level chaperone is for. You’re controlling the monsters. You can make the tank hold aggro. You can give the high level support the tools to prevent deaths. It’s okay if someone gets knocked unconscious in round 2 of a 2 round fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Reveilled posted:

Cool, that works, thanks! Mega dungeon is probably right up their street and mad mages as villains fits right in with the early 1e modules’ baddies.

The other option to Mad mage is to grab Tales from the Yawning Portal, since it’s a collection of reboots of classic old school dnd dungeon crawls.

(Definitely do LMOP first though. It’s perfect for this and leaves you with a level 5 party that can jump into anything.)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Toshimo posted:

Ok, so AL recently unlocked this item as an option for everyone and I really liked it for my Bowbear Assassin:

Then I went back and read the RP fluff on it and was like... HOLD UP. I WANT IN ON THIS TRAIN.

So, I looked up Mechanus and it's what I remembered from 2E as Nirvana, most famous as the home of the Modrons.

It's a plane strewn across the Lawful axis, and being that my bugbear is LE (as the only evil option for AL is LE), I'm looking at revising his backstory to really go HAM on this concept.

Digging around I found this bit:

Yeah. This is EXTREMELY MY PACE.

What I'm looking for:
  1. Any other resources (especially sourcebooks) dealing in Mechanus/Nirvana, regardless of edition.
  2. LE-compatible factions/paragons in Mechanus.
  3. At higher Assassin levels, I'm going to be able to start creating false identities for myself. I'm looking for ways to integrate all of the above into my false identity network.

If nothing else, the Mercykillers feature prominently (along with Mechanus itself) in Planescape:Torment, so that’s as good a place as any for a bunch of walls of text on the subject.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
As the DM I’d just flatly rule that the hand looks like a (size matched) ghostly version of the casters, right down to matching jewelry/ a matching sleeve cuff on the disembodied wrist if any.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

BrianWilly posted:

If a person was affected by Modify Memory, would Zone of Truth make them speak from the unmodified original memory, or the memory that was implanted in them? I suspect the latter, right, going by the rules?

But in that case, a truly rigorous, Lawful court system would also probably cast Remove Curse or Greater Restoration on someone before ZoT.

I find this sort of thing fascinating. A society where magical means to enact truth and justice are baked in would end up functioning very differently and...let's be honest...probably much better in many ways than our lovely real world systems.

But it also might depend on the condition and nature of that society. A corrupt empire might use magic meticulously to make sure its laws are followed, but its laws might be less "Don't hurt other people" and more "How dare you dissent against your betters, peasant?"

Zone of truth prevents deliberate lies; truth and facts are not the same thing. You can be wrong in a zone of truth so long as you believe every word you say, which a false memory would 100% be.

Don’t overthink this. Zone of truth is about intent, not underlying fact.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Back Hack posted:

I need quick ruling, in TCe one of the new fighting styles is Unarmed Fighting which states.

"At the start of each of your turns, you can deal 1d4 bludgeoning damage to one creature grappled by you."

I would normally interpret this to mean I do 1d4 damage on my turn and my turn only, but it says, "turns," implying more than one. Does this mean I apply 1d4 damage to the grappled enemy on the end of their turn as well?

It means every time your turn comes up? As long as you are maintaining the grapple, you get some free damage for continuing to do so.

The magic word here is “your turns”

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

shades of eternity posted:

Doing some stewing on something.

Which subclasses in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything would work in Kara-tur?

I'll start

Clerics of Order are kinda my default cleric of those that have to work off of the Celestial Bureaucracy.

Both of the Warlock patrons probably work well enough.
Genie Warlock as a traveller from the neighboring seems like an obvious fit; Fathomless fits near any city with a port more or less.

Also Clockwork Soul Sorcerer for sure.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I've got a few Eldritch Invocations in mind for my planned Path of the Talisman Human Warlock, but I can't really decide what a good order to take them would be.

• At level 2 I'll get Agonizing Blast and Eldritch Sight, because at-will Detect Magic would be just so incredibly useful in so many situations where it's not practical to take ten minutes for someone to ritually cast it. After that I'm uncertain.
  • If I'm going Path of the Talisman, I feel like I would want at least one of Rebuke of the Talisman (use a Reaction to push someone who hits the talisman's wearer 10 feet away) or Protection of the Talisman (when the wearer of the talisman fails a save they can add 1d4 to the roll).
  • Repelling Blast or Grasp of Hadar could also be useful to manipulate enemies position, or to free allies from grapples, BUT the Warlock won't have any AoE spells to drag/push them into.
  • Devil's Sight would be interesting because as a human I won't have any Darkvision, and I could combo it with the Darkness spell... but that's also somewhat situational.

I probably won't be taking these invocations:
  • I probably won't be getting Eldritch Spear, since I already intend to take the Spell Sniper feat at level 8 and that'll give me 240 feet range. It's unlikely that there will be many combats where it's even possible to fight at longer range than that.
  • I won't be taking [u]Mask of Many faces for character reasons (or at least I won't take it early). I'll already have proficiency with the Disguise Kit.
  • Fiendish Vigor - I'm not intending to fight in melee combat, and with so many other, I don't think I have space.

Thoughts on a good order for the options I've curated??

Talisman is the pact, but what’s the patron?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Archfey. (Oops, I forgot that part. I guess it's pretty important.)

Eldritch Mind for Concentration saves is pretty big deal.

Repelling Blast is still really good even if you can’t provide the area effect spell combo for yourself. Get creative with terrain (cliffs rule, obviously, but being able to use that ten foot push upwards if you can get under your target is even better. Once you hit 5th level and you can start pushing 20 feet at a time it becomes a no-save trip +damage).

The Devil’s Sight/Darkness combo is incredibly popular for a reason. I’m not as huge a fan as some (there are enough other ways to get advantage that punishing melee allies and concentrating on darkness gets old at higher levels), but it’s still worth considering. Especially as something to grab early and eventually switch out.

I’m not a fan of eldritch sight If you’ve got a wizard around. Yeah, waiting ten minutes for ritual detect magic is a liability sometimes, but burning a slot as powerful as an invocation on not doing that is an even bigger liability.

Misty Visions is extremely on theme for a feylock and if you’re willing to get creative with illusions, it can do a lot of heavy lifting. Remember that if you have time to set up you can combine a Silent Image with an audio effect from a Minor Illusion cantrip for pretty good results.

Maddening Hex is a feat tax but it’ll double your hex damage if you feel you need that to keep up.

As for the question of order specifically? I’d start with Agonizing Blast because it’s a feat tax and after that it doesn’t really matter too much. Remember that if you want to do mega long range but won’t be taking Spell Sniper to 8th level, you can take Eldritch Spear early and just switch it out later.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 1, 2021

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

[*] If I'm going Path of the Talisman, I feel like I would want at least one of Rebuke of the Talisman (use a Reaction to push someone who hits the talisman's wearer 10 feet away) or Protection of the Talisman (when the wearer of the talisman fails a save they can add 1d4 to the roll).

As for these specifically, a thing you need to figure out is whether you want to hand your talisman to a friend. There's good reasons to do this and not to do this, but they absolutely change how the Talismanlock plays. As a non melee lock, getting Rebuke of the Talisman, and putting it on a friend who stands up front can be extremely powerful, and the Bond of the Talisman teleport is really strong as well.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

- I don't think I'll take Maddening Hex. It seems to be super-situational weak damage. I guess it's supposed to be good because casters don't get much to do with a bonus action, but I don't think I have room for it.
It's good because Hex is an extremely reliable use of concentration to boost your damage. If you're not casting Hex regularly, it falls off, and Hex in general falls off somewhat in it's utility/neccessity after mid levels. But for a straight blaster lock, it's extra damage.

quote:

It would probably move around depending on circumstance, because it doesn't require attunement. I'm... pretty sure?

It doesn't, you can pass it around freely. But you should probably have a general idea of how you want to use it and build for that in general terms.

Basically, Rebuke is much less useful if having it in the hands of someone in melee isn't the default state in combat.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
High level play is great if you just ban wizards and clerics and maybe sorcerers.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Devorum posted:

It's not, though. That's just what you have to make it in order for everything to hold together.

In every conceivable way, the game instructs you that it is a Dungeon Crawl from start to finish.

Like, my level 18 Paladin ability isn't "Convince Seneschal", it's an increase to my Aura...a combat ability. 15th level? Combat ability. 20th level? Combat ability.

A thing from 1e that never ought to have been abandoned was high level Fighters just getting a literal army of followers.

FFT posted:

Yep, the talisman of Pact of the Talisman doesn't require attunement. The only important thing (mechanically) is keeping track of who's wearing it.
Gonna have to just ban all full-casters at that rate tbh, bards and druids can absolutely break everything at high levels too.

The Druid/Bard 7-9th level spell lists have substantially less bullshit, IMO. Though I suppose Magical Secrets is a thing I always forget about, so sure. Also, multi class full casters is fine. Just no double digit level counts.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Not just fighters, everyone built some kind of structure and gained followers; I have to agree that the money and power in older editions was designed to turn the players from mercenaries to the heads of established institutions within the game world.

Yeah but the level of scaling was clear; Wizards got, like, A Tower and An Apprentice.

Fighters got a literal army.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

pog boyfriend posted:

i think having the patron in the game is a must. i am just saying the patron doesnt directly provide power with a tap they can turn off to make you a powerless nobody. i think rather than the patron saying "no more eldritch blast actually" they send other warlocks after you, and this is better, but i see and respect the plot line of being depowered also

High level warlocks seek to renegotiate the terms of the deal; instead of depending on the patron as a benefactor, they seek to subjugate the 'patron' to their own will, tapping into their power for their own ends, and perhaps even coming to dominate or bind the patron entirely.

(This obvs works betters for some warlocks than others. It seems like the natural endgame for Fiend/Fey locks for example)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Quixzlizx posted:

I just finished a campaign as a level 6 paladin, and I came to the conclusion that the only spells where I could ever justify burning a spell slot over a divine smite were Sleep (only at lower levels) and Protection from Evil and Good during relevant fights.

I'm not an obsessive min-maxer when it comes to builds, but I think I'm pretty good at the game, but did I miss something? I still had fun being the party's tank, positioning myself so the other melee characters could enter flanking positions, and reviving downed melee party members with LoH, but I felt like my actual actions were "hold auto-attack" most of the time.

Paladin spell slots are for Smiting for the most part. An “optimized” paladin build is generally built to go crit fishing and then burn smites when a crit lands.

Positioning gets to be a bit more important at 6/7 when you start working with your aura, but yeah, you’ll never really be using many spell slots on actual spells. It’s just not what they’re for; the idea of having spells provides some flexibility at the cost of your primary source of combat power. But it’s clearly rarely a great trade with other casters around.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Dexo posted:

For instance I somewhat get GM's who are like, No level 1 Aarakocra(fly speed) or no taking the Lucky feat or something.

Yeah, a good rule of thumb is that if they're being more restrictive than organized play, it's a red flag.

(Not that Adventurers League is some bastion of balance or whatever, but it's simple and clear and tends to map to "these are things that really do just make the DM's life more difficult')

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Mr. Humalong posted:

So I'm an idiot and joined a game as a planar traveler with a revolver. I've been told I have to figure out how to maintain the gun and make more ammunition in a world that is definitely not advanced enough to have firearms yet. I'm thinking I could probably find some dwarves and give them a few bullets to try and figure out how to make more? The party is in the Underdark at the moment so that shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Any smarter suggestions are welcome.

ninja edit: I get 10000g to equip myself with so I'm thinking I probably allot like 8000 of that to bullets and come strapped to the gills.

Be a warlock, flavor it as a spell focus, cast eldritch blast through your revolver.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Mr. Humalong posted:

one of the other party members is an artificer :thumbsup:

I'm a samurai

Also taking suggestions for any neat realms I may have been to before coming across the party. I was going to just be from the Shadowfell but the DM preferred I be a planar traveler to explain having a gun so here we are with me scrambling to find all the realms in 5e/Faerun.

Have you given thought to how you do your planar traveling? Shipwrecked Spelljammer is cooler than portal hopper, if only because you get to explain how you stole your gun from a Giff because the Giff are the coolest dumbest race in all of D&D.

(19th century imperial British(/German depending on which source) hippo men)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

hulk hooligan posted:

Any advice or resources on roleplaying a paladin of Torm? My initial attempts came off too much like a bad cross between Superman and a space marine, and I feel I'm doing it wrong. Are there sayings associated with them, mannerisms, any other things I can throw in for flavor?

The big thing is that being “a bad cross between Superman and a Space Marine” is literally what got Torm and his order in trouble in the past, so that tendency is tempered by a whole lot of guilt and an overarching obsession with penance to other good aligned gods.

The short version of how that plays out is you get to be a Boy Scout who feels obliged to help literally every other good aligned religion you encounter at all costs.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Post-tasha's, what race would people suggest for an arcane trickster / bladesinger character?

Workshopping various backup characters in my head and I like the idea of AT/bs with telekinetic feat for a super-duper Mage Hand, jedi-esque character. Not sure what race would mesh best with it though.

If you’re just min maxing, the answer is almost always custom lineage, or, if your DM is persnickety about elven accuracy, some flavor of half elf or elf.

If you’re not min maxing, but can do the tasha’s stat reassignments, then just follow your heart and pick whatever is cool. I did a tortle warlock for a one shot a while back and it ruled.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
They should just take the savage coast/red steel stuff from Mystara and put it in another setting.

That stuff owned, but the rest of it was equal parts boring as gently caress fantasy tropes and offensive as gently caress fantasy tropes and not much in between.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
A good vow of poverty mechanic (which can be interesting), should include

1) some sort of inherent bonus mechanic to allow the impoverished character to keep up with the usual character math. For good measure, maybe crib artificer infusion mechanics and tie them to “for every x gold you give away, you discover a new lightness of Holy Spirit. You may infuse your garments as though they were magical items, though others may not wear them”

2) with your vow of poverty comes ties to an organization that will support you and meet your needs, and a reputation for generosity. When you do need material resources, you have access to [levelled amount of gold or goods] with [a relatively easy check], whether from your church, or from a local benefactor who is impressed by your cause and commitment. This can be called upon once per level, and doing so has [some minor penalty or significant role play consequence that the monk has to deal with now].

Tl;dr, the vow shouldn’t make the character mathematically weaker, and it should provide some sort of benefit.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 22, 2021

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Having tried out an Eldritch Knight and a Warlock, you get a lot more bamfing around at earlier levels as a warlock than an EK does. EKs are, I think, generally better at taking hits and, you know, fighter things, but as soon as I got Misty step as a warlock I was just teleporting everywhere, limited spell slots be damned.
I still liked being an EK, they just don't really get any teleportation moves for quite a while, and that Arcane Charge move was one of the things that attracted me to be an EK (before I knew most games don't go nearly that high). By the time the EK gets Misty step, the warlock has had it for several levels and can take an invocation with hex that lets you teleport towards your target, and a couple levels after that you get far step as a warlock and you're just bamfing all over combat.

Doesn't necessarily tie into the rest of your character build concerns, just something I've noticed playing a warlock I didn't plan on teleporting everywhere after playing an EK I wanted to teleport everywhere.

If your goal is to teleport all over, the correct fighter build is an Echo Knight anyway, but lol wildemount

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Azathoth posted:

I'd like to just step back for a moment and marvel at calling anything a D&D game if it doesn't have a character creation option. Regardless of which edition, that is the literal foundation of D&D.

That anyone would try to make a D&D game that doesn't start with that very element and build out from there is mind boggling, and immediately calls into question the soundness of every other decision they make.

And before anyone jumps in, I understand why they might want to make a game without a character creator for a variety of time and technical reasons. I get that. But at that point you might as well just come out and say that you're just slapping D&D on it for cashgrab reasons and not even pretend you're trying to make a good game.

The flip side of this is that it’s super reasonable to decide to make a forgotten realms game and not include character creation. And that’s exactly what this is, and the confusion inherent in WOTC’s pile of unevenly recognized brand properties is a separate issue.

This isn’t a D&D the system game.

It’s a D&D the not properly named setting, also known to us nerds as Faerun or the Forgotten Realms game.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Azathoth posted:

lol at any d&d fans getting excited about a game set in the forgotten realms, a setting kept by design as boring and generic as possible

Boring and generic fantasy definitely doesn’t sell wildly.

There’s no good commercial reason to try to do that.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Just throw (level appropriate) caster enemies rather than bruisers at them.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I do think it’s certainly become much more of a thing recently in 5e than it has ever been in the past; I think the biggest thing that has changed has been the move, first away from racial stat penalties and towards more homogenous stat lines in 5e (3e monstrous races had a tendency towards big bonus/big penalty design that was min-maxy in a way that even power gamers often found more trouble than it was worth - especially alongside how good that free feat always ended up being for humans anyway), and then to an even larger degree in the last two years as they’ve slowly moved towards the whole Tashas model of devaluing “race” as a gameplay element with things like customized origin/custom lineage

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
FWIW the lack of stat blocks for big bads in the ravenloft book was a conscious decision and a departure from the norm.

That said, I’m a fan of the choice because it makes it a little more interesting when it’s not just a hit list of bosses to kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ilikedirt posted:

Coinpurse of holding: a magic item that can only hold currency, and is so easy to produce and craft that everybody has one, problem solved

Relatedly, in a campaign many years ago where the DM wanted us to be a bit more resource constrained but didn’t want the bookkeeping of arrow/ration tracking, no sensible adventuring party left without Volo’s Vending Valise, which has a coin slot into which money is fed and it fills up with a days worth of rations and ammunition..

So we didn’t track either, but it was just understood that we would be subtracting X gold on every rest.