Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Onibaba (1964) is a very slow burn of a movie, and even though it's classed as a Horror movie, it's definitely more of a drama or thriller. Overall it's a very good movie about two women trying to get by in feudal Japan during the tail end of a civil war. I can't think of many movies that focus exclusively on the peasents and completely ignore the war, but it works in this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Breetai posted:

Jeff Wayne musical version best version.

Yeah, but no big fancy-pants Hollywood director has the testicular fortitude to even attempt to adapt it to the big screen. Or the original story, for that matter.

OOOOO-LAAAAAAAAAAHHHH

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Finally watched Annabelle this past weekend, and after watching The Conjuring... it's not a BAD horror movie, it's just nowhere near as good as The Conjuring, and outright feels like a different movie that had a few minor changes made to shoehorn it in as a prequel. The entire time we were watching it, we kept asking "wait, how do the other people end up with it? Didn't they say the one woman's mom gave it to them?" It just kinda dragged on, and when it finished, we just kinda shrugged and went "that was a thing".

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

checkplease posted:

Annabelle is funny because 1, that doll is horrible looking why does anyone gift it and 2, the whole idea is we never see the doll move. So camera and effects and characters have to do a lot of work to tell you that stationary doll is doing something scary.

I guess the implication is that it's some rare vintage doll, to the point where finding one is worth picking it up, and if they had gone with the original Annabelle doll, no one would watch the film because Raggidy Ann dolls are horrifying.

As far as "Spooky poo poo happens around the doll", I'm fine with that, because they said in both films that a demon is inhabiting the doll, so, sure, we never see it move on it's own, that's fine... except then you have to ask just what the range is on the demon, because it's at least 6 floors away that it can still gently caress with Mia.

Edit: Also, that the film takes place so shortly before The Conjuring just bugs me. They couldn't have set it in the late 50's/early 60's? Other than a news broadcast about the Manson Family cult that doesn't tie into the plot, there's nothing requiring the film to be set right before The Conjuring, but instead you have all of the film, the doll being sold to another person, her giving it to her daughter, and then the events that led to the recording at the start of The Conjuring all happening in a very short time span. I'm not saying its impossible, just that it feels way too short of a time span.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 18, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Data Graham posted:

[spoiler]
- Twin Peaks

Wait, when was Twin Peaks touted as a reboot? The 2010's series was always called Season 3 as long as I can remember. Is there a new Twin Peaks I missed?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Haunted Mansion was a lot better than the trailer made it out to be. Very much a PG horror movie made by Disney, so nothing too frightening or scary, but some good, tense moments and good special effects. Some plot twists that were actually fairly well hidden.

Unfortunately it came out after the infinitely superior Muppets Haunted Mansion, and really, once a Muppet adaptation has been made, there's nothing that can peak that.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Breetai posted:

Nosferatu (1922):

gently caress me rigid this was an amazing film in context. Second 1920's black and white silent German expressionistic film I've seen (first one is Metropolis because I'm a basic bitch) and so far it's 2 for 2 in the 'watch where whole swathes of cinematic language were first developed'.

Remarkably good cinematography given the technological constraints they were working with, and Gustav von Wangenheim brings maybe a modicum more dignity to the role than Keanu did. :v:

One thing I will say is that people lose their poo poo over the shot of Orlok's shadow ascending the stairs, but there's another absolutely phenomenal shot where he's casting a shadow in the room with Ellen, and you see the shadow of his hand move up her torso to where her heart is at which point his fist closes around it and she writhes - this got an audible gasp from my girlfriend and was a stunningly brilliant concept. Just leagues ahead of its time.

It really is a timeless classic and head and shoulders above the Universal adaptation of Dracula. Even shots like the two people having a discussion in Mina's bedroom are creepy when you realize that Orlock is just staring directly at the camera/viewer in the background the entire time unblinking. Max Schreck did a really good job in that role.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Child's Play (1988)

Finally had a chance to watch this after literal decades of trying. The start is a bit of a slog when you know Chucky is alive, but I can see how they were trying to frame it as a possible Omen situation with the child being the villain. After the first 20 minutes or so, the story really picks up, and really hits the gas at the reveal. The voodoo stuff feels a bit out of left field, but considering how these movies usually have the villain created, the villain willingly transferring his own soul feels surprisingly refreshing.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

barnold posted:

Five Nights At Freddy's - I give it a strong 2/5. they clearly bit off way more than they could chew with the script and the movie suffers from wasting time with insane bullshit that is never resolved (or ever addressed after the initial mention in some cases). at 1hr50min, what they needed to do was scale WAY back, do one thing extremely well instead of 25 things below average, and release it at 1hr15. OR, they needed to get buck wild, slap another 45 minutes in there, and go all in on the weird dreamscape mindfuck stuff they hinted at but never quite managed to accomplish.

the animatronics were fuckin sweet and the fact that they went with practical effects over CGI gets a siskel outta me

So how does it stand compared to Willy's Wonderland? If you were a fan of Willy's Wonderland, give it a go, or just give it hard pass and stick with the earlier animatronic horror movie?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The Dunwich Horror (1970)- A surprisingly good adaptation of the novella of the same name, while it takes some major liberties with the story, it still retains the essence of the story. A bit of a slow burn, and the horror itself looks a little goofy when it is visible, but it's worth a watch if you're looking for something to throw on that does a decent job of being Lovecraftian.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes- for a parody film from the 70's, it actually wasn't that bad. Most of the jokes are absurd enough that they still work to this ray, some of the jokes are definitely out of place these days, some are still VERY on point (a former olympic athlete eating a bowl of not-wheeties called Steroids, when it seems like there's a new steroids scandal in sports every few years to this day), and some just aged like the finest milk left in the heat. It may be worth a watch if you enjoy parody films, but don't lose any sleep if you do miss out on it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mr. Dressup: The Magic of Make-Believe- Saw this last night. If you're a :canada: goon and the name Mr.Dressup means anything to you, you really should watch it. I honestly don't think we'll see the likes of Ernie Coombs or Fred Rogers in our lifetimes again, they were pure, unfiltered goodness for children.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The Dungeonmaster- Was going through Tubi and saw this listed in their "Leaving soon" list, it sounded like a dumb, schlocky 80's fantasy film and Mrs Randalor asked to watch it with supper. We got through 20 minutes of it before Mrs Randalor told me to turn it off. It's just... bad, and not in the good sense.

The film is described as "the hero goes through 7 trials directed by 7 directors" and as far as the first two "trial" segments go, either content was cut from the movie (it has a runtime under an hour and a half) or the directors had never heard of a thing called "plot". Near as we can tell, the main hero just stands around while his computer (that he's connected to... somehow? And also made into a magical Power Glove by the big bad) solves everything with lasers? The main character gets sucked into a patch of ice in the first segment, then the damsel in distress has to deal with Jack the Ripper, then the main character crawls out from the hole he originally came in from, and shouts about an ice crystal? What?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Maximum Overdrive: Threw this on last night because I wanted something schlocky and bad as background noise while I sleeved cards. Growing up, I had always heard it was bad, cheesy, not worth watching... and honestly, it was actually a surprisingly good movie. The very end is a bit silly, but overall it's a solid movie, the characters act believable and while some people do act like dumbfucks, it's almost always presented as "This person has cracked under the stress" and not "This person needs to be stupid to move the plot along". Also, small details like them showing the machines communicating through flashing headlights at each other or blaring horns as a group rather than just seemingly knowing where people are are nice touches. The closest thing I can call it is a smart zombie movie, where the people working on it actually put thought into things like "How do the machines know where people are" rather than just "Oh, they're drawn to humans because... reasons".

I'd say it's a solid 6, maybe 7 out of 10. Definitely worth a watch at least once.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Chicken Butt posted:

Maximum Overdrive is King’s only directorial effort, and it was back in his cocaine-frenzy days. He has since disowned it as a “movie for morons”, which kinda makes me want to watch it.

It's on Tubi right now, and it's a bit of a shame that he's disowned it, because it's actually not that bad.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

distortion park posted:

What movies are good for pretending you're running away from something?

Halloween?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oppenheimer: It's as good as everyone made it out to be. There are two ways I can sum it up:

It's a 3 hour film about the rise and fall from grace of one of the greatest scientific minds of our time.

Or

"Well, well, well, if it isn't the consequences of my own actions."

Also, if this movie is at all truthful about his relationships, Oppenheimer was a Playa. I'm pretty sure he hosed the bomb at one point, going by how the scene was shot.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

WNUF Halloween Special- A surprisingly good movie that nails the feel of 80's local TV. It does a really good job of building tension and the dread atmosphere before the big finale, which is so good I won't even put it into spoilers.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Gavok posted:

Too bad you can only get it via DVD from the director's website.

I live in Canada and his website doesn't allow shipping to Canada. I've sent a message through the Contact page asking if there's a way to get it in Canada, fingers crossed they'll be willing to work with me. I want to give the director my money!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

What could be so bad about a movie?

*Checks plot summary for Happiness*

... WHAT THE gently caress?