Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Some Guy TT posted:

Wait, do thermostats actually work that way? I always jack mine up as high as possible and just turn it off when I've decided its warm enough, and even in freezing winter my heating bills are really low.

No, they're on-off switches. Most people set a comfortable temperature and let their thermostat maintain that. If you crank it all the way up and forget to turn it off (as I imagine a child might), then it just stays on making your place warmer than necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm a big fan of this! What's it called?

Interior, kitchen, day. Ed is reading the paper. Dustin and Megan are eating breakfast

Panel 1:
Ed: "Huh, according to this, they've changed the definition of 'Millennials'. It no longer includes people born after 1996!"

Panel 2:
Dusin: "Wow, I wonder what they'll call the next generation."

Panel 3:
[Megan and Ed share a poignant glance]

Panel 4:
Megan: "Successful!"
Ed: [Laughing]
Dustin: [Pained expression]

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Holy poo poo I'm not even sure you get that much leg room in first class.

All of the Morgans are under 5'5" tall.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Bo Nanas

Sign me up for more Arbitrage Comix!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Alterian posted:

This might have been brought up previously and I just missed it, but isn't this the girl he ends up marrying and opening a cafe at the beach with?

Yep!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I'd also be very surprised if the Des Moines airport can actually handle a 747

The terminal probably can't handle a 747 (so they'd have to use stairs!), but the longest runway at Des Moines us 9000 and some feet. In good conditions and assuming the plane is nice and light, a 747-400 can land in 6000 or so feet. Once emptied of passengers and cargo, it could easily take off again with enough fuel to make O'Hare.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I never said it out loud, but I'm kinda pleased this is turning into a parable about listening to flight attendants in an emergency.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Jesus christ Taku you loving neckbeard don't force alcohol on people who say they don't want any; it isn't going to make your bdsm fantasies come true.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

The Lockhorns

Dark.
https://www.stereogum.com/1799/hunter_s_thompsons_suicide_note/news/

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Zetsubou-san posted:

Footrot Flats (1976)

Is this an edit, or is Wal loving a sheep?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Strontium posted:

Daddy Daze

I wouldn't mind it if the Doomsday Clock was set to 45 minutes to midnight during my lifetime.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 8, 2019

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

LvK posted:

I shamefully never really read Judge Parker but, having only fairly recently jumped into the middle of this current story arc, I'm pretty hooked!

What on earth is going on in Judge Parker? I keep trying to get into it, but it's just two people I don't care about talking about some things I never saw happen.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Kennel posted:

Surgeon's Tales
Let's have a short recap. I haven't read more than a few strips ahead, so I'm not certain if these are relevant:
-Kustaa Perttilä alias Bertel is a great soldier in the Swedish army in 30 years' war. The king wanted to make him a nobleman, but his father, who hates the nobility, prevented it.
-Miss Regina, a bishop's daughter and a devout Catholic, is manipulated by a jesuit Hieronymus to assassinate the Swedish king. She stops the attempt at the last minute and is sent to Finland.
-The King dies in Lützen, Bertel is also presumed to be killed, but the body is not found. Before his death, the king wanted to give his legendary ring to Bertel.

Coat of arms is from the 20th century but it's great.

(the pictured stone church wasn't actually built until the 16th century)

I have to say, I really appreciate your translations! It's fun reading your notes as well. I was on a whirlwind business trip across Finland back in January, so it's fun being able to think "I've been to Ostrobothnia!" and "I've been to Vassa (very briefly, to buy gas at 5 in the morning)!"

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Hot take: I don't get the Macanudo hate. Its biggest crime is being inoffensive.I thought the Pettipanna visits the Spirit of the South storyline was kinda charming. The gnome comics can gently caress right off, but whatever.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Agreed. New Nancy is #relatable for the post-millennial generation. Go yell at a cloud, old man!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Europeans didn't land on Australia until 1606, which is in the 17th century. Australia didn't have any politics in the 16th century with the big fat asterisk that the Indigenous Australians have been living there for 60-100,000 years and there was probably a fair amount of politics in their affairs.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Probably something like One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

e. or Of Mice and Men

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

That would mean the circle he's running in is 3.5 feet (just over a meter) in diameter. I'd guess the circle he's running in is at least twice that.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I know Ripley's just traces the first picture off of Google Image Search, but that's not even an airplane part. It's a pressure plate off of an automotive clutch. Light aircraft don't have those.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

You still gotta schlep across Panama. Sure, that's not a long drive but you do have to move.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Mercury Hat posted:

This was bothering me enough that I skimmed through the archives and no pronouns (even neutral ones) are used at all except for being called "it" occasionally. Whether it's gender neutral now because the goose is nonbinary or just because the goose is a prey animal is beyond my reckoning.

Nobody has the time to get all up in a goose's cloaca to see what they're rockin. It's best to use neuter pronouns until the goose clarifies which gender it prefers.

That's no mailman, that's Travis McElroy.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

:shrug: looks pretty good at 640x480

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Headcanon: Greg Wilkins grew up down the street from Darryl McDaniels.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Bobbie Wickham posted:

"Sabre Dance" is one of the songs the comic strip thread has made better for me by association. "The Locomotion", "Rocket Man," and "Rock the Boat," too--all of them hilarious.

Edit: Safety is not Sabre

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I think Father Pertillä is against the nobles -- he's a self-made man and doesn't respect anyone who was born into their power. Bertil / Son Pertillä did some cool stuff during the war and was offered a noble title, but refused it because of his father. Father Pertillä got wind of his son't deeds somehow I guess, but doesn't know his son refused the titles.

I think. The typeface is really hard to read.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Mary's heading 12 miles off shore to pick up 50 keys of china white tossed over the side of a bulk carrier bound for Panama, of course.

https://jalopnik.com/steve-wozniak-busted-for-driving-his-prius-104-mph-292333

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Mikl posted:

Just FYI: eating canned food which is meant to be heaten up (like... I dunno... Stew) without heating it up is a good way to get botulism.

No it isn't. There are fewer than 20 cases of food-borne botulism in the US each year. If the can is intact, not puffed out, and the contents aren't spoiled, the food is fine to eat hot or cold.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Of the states where it's banned, it was only banned in the late 1980s or early 90s in most cases (banned in New Jersey in 1867).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

And here I thought it was just a half-baked pun on long-play record

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

That girl is the current Phantom's daughter. Many people here theorize she's next in line for the purple mask, over her milquetoast brother who is off in tibet somewhere wasting air.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Some of y'all might remember Ham Shears, the adorable comic about a pig in the big city that was interesting until it wasn't. Well the author is off to bigger and better things, such as writing for Infinity Train, a new Cartoon Network series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY6kfVWv01k

Looks like it premiered tonight!

https://twitter.com/HamShears/status/1158547703585841152

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

I was honestly hoping we'd have a quick story in which Modesty and Willie just caved Lacey's face in, but alas.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I think androgynous is fine in this context.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

TofuDiva posted:

Moomin and the Martians

...Finis!

I'll start posting another one in a couple of days.

goddamn aardvnarc

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Candorville is boring because all they do is complain. There's potential for an interesting story where Susan files a discrimination suit or something, somehow fights and overcomes adversity and changes her situation. Instead, she'll complain about it for a few more days and then they'll switch to complaining about a different social injustice next week.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

PetraCore posted:

I don't believe it, Ripley! Even your own picture only shows 3 out of 4 hemispheres!

No, seriously, is there an island or something tying it in to the fourth?

Counterintuitively, that's not how hemispheres work. There's some of Africa in the Northern hemisphere and the Southern hemisphere (that is, it lies both north and south of the equator), as well as the Eastern and Western hemisphere (it lies both east and west of the prime meridian). There's no such thing as the south-western hemisphere, but that graphic makes you think there should be.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

A person can be vaccinated after exposure but before symptoms start showing up. Once someone is symptomatic, the virus is replicating in their brain and can't be stopped.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Scarodactyl posted:

Who the heck is this "they"?

The State of Georgia, at least. If that's not a low bar to clear, I don't know what is.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

]

Gyroscopic Precession Funnies

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Kennel posted:

Fingepori ran out of Finnish puns and has to do Swedish classics

-Excuse me, where is subway?

en bana/banan = track
en banan/bananen = banana
(they are pronounced differently)

Tunnelbana -> Tunnelbanana makes me smile every time I think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Don't kinkshame Pluto, Mickey, and Minnie.