Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Baldo is a comic about a teenage boy and his family. Like Zits but with an annoying sister.

Beetle Bailey is about some sexually repressed ghosts who don't know they're dead.

Ben is about an old man named Ben. It's generally bland and inoffensive.

Blondie is mostly about the titular character's husband, Dagwood, and his eating disorder.

The Barn is about wacky farm animals. It's mostly bland and inoffensive.

Curtis is about a grumpy old man who acts like an even older man. Also his son.

Dennis the Menace is the exact opposite of menacing.

Dustin is about a man who hates his son.

F-Minus isn't as good as it used to be but is still sometimes good for a smile.

I have no idea what Free Range is about.

Frog Applause is dadaist absurdity.

Cancer Cancerbean is about cancer and alzheimers and cancer.

Fred Basset is delightful.

Heathcliff is lit.

Herb and Jamaal is about a world similar to ours but where brand names must never be mentioned on pain of death.

Hi and Lois is one of those generic zombie strips about a bland, generic family.

Heavenly Nostrils is about a unicorn. Also some humans but they're not important.

Judge Parker is sometimes about bad things happening to rich people and other times it's about spies and arms dealers. The stories have a tendency to drag on a little bit but when it's good it's good.

Lockhorns is about terrible, unhappy people who are bizarrely popular. They have so many friends, despite clearly sucking the life out of whatever room they're in.

Luann is the worst.

Wait, actually, Macanudo is the worst? No, Luann is still the worst.

Mark Trail is a comic about environmentalism and conservation written by a climate change denier and drawn by copying and pasting random bits of old comic strips together.

Mary Worth is fun to edit.

Off the Mark is a comic, I guess?

On the Fast Rack is an earnest attempt to argue that working for a large corporation isn't terrible interspersed with bizarre flights of fancy.

The Pajama Diaries is one of those comics for middle-aged female alcoholics. See also: Between Friends.

The Phantom is forever teasing the possibility of something interesting happening but it never does.

Red and Rover is set in, like, the 1950s or something. I don't know why.

Reply All was once the best comic in the thread.

Rex Morgan MD is about a doctor who just does not a give a single gently caress.

Slylock Fox is about a post-apocalyptic world where some unknown event caused animals to transform both physically and mentally. If you read between the lines, Slylock is definitely having and affair with Cassandra.

Zits is about an incestuous relationship between mother and son.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens FOR gently caress'S SAKE, HOW DOES IT KEEP GETTING WORSE?
The implication that it took a professional geneticist/wizard more than an instant to figure out that two identical DNA samples must be from the same person had me laughing for, like, a solid minute.

:roflolmao:

Manuel Calavera posted:

Foob as it's colloquially known, better known as For Better or For Worse. Started by Lynn Johnston in 1979, it ended officially near the end of 2008. And then went into reruns July 11, 2010. Rewritten/redrawn reruns. Which follow the original storyline. Lynn is, an odd one. Others can tell her stories better than I. The story actually did have the characters age though. And it had actual deaths.
The rewriting/redrawing was only small changes and it only lasted a couple of months. I think someone is still updating old strips to add seatbelts any time they're in a car, but other than that it's all unaltered now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

Can someone explain what is going on exactly? I haven't been paying attention to that strip aside from the 'x doesn't work like that/that is so stupid' posts.

The geneticist/wizard just discovered that her time-travelling friend is actually her daughter from the future.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

Judge Parker

I'm posting Half Full today because I have no idea what the joke is supposed to be. So that's Yoda and R2D2, but Yoda is talking normally and wants to return whatever the pink lumpy stuff is, because...?

Mark Trail

Moose and Molly is about some really warm and cheerful people who don't let other people get in the way of their happiness.

Office Hours is a stark reminder that the past was much worse than the present.

Reply All

Ziggy is the story of a man who never lets the fact that his life is an unending nightmare in which everyone but him is in on the joke get him down. It's inspiring, really.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

TofuDiva posted:

If there isn't a window, it isn't safe or legal as anyone's bedroom.
I've never heard of this rule before. What's the rationale behind it? My bedroom doesn't have a window.

Discendo Vox posted:

I should mention that for years, since first hearing of its history, I have long sought an available archive of Apple Mary, Mary Worth's original incarnation. If any of you have any idea of where I might find one, please let me know!
I'm guessing it's not going to be easy to find given that King Features continues to insist that Apple Mary has absolutely nothing to do with Mary Worth despite seemingly owning the rights to both comics anyway. :iiam:

I don't think Evans knows what colour puce actually is. It sounds awful but it's just a sort of pale purplish pink.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The colour shown there doesn't match the values listed and isn't the colour that appears on the actual Wikipedia page.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Why are these all the same color:

Because there's no single or widely accepted standard for colour names.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Drabble

Fred Basset

Judge Parker

Mary Worth

Office Hours

Reply All

Ziggy

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Isn't she literally the daughter of the ambassador for their country?

I believe Diana is the Bangallan ambassador to the UN. She's not the ambassador to America. And it's the Nomad's daughter whose citizenship is the issue here, not Heloise's.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

But you'd think she'd have enough grunt to get her friend into the embassy.

Well, she might, but the situation was a bit time sensitive. We'll see how it plays out now that they're inside and have time to sort out who's mother works where and what authority the embassy has to shelter foreign nationals who happen to be friends with Bangallans.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

1. It's only occurred to you now, AFTER you did all this construction, that you don't own this house and can't just do what you want willy-nilly?

I think Brad's parents own the place? So it's not like a normal renting situation. I could be wrong though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Bloop posted:

also, no one fucks

Bad people like Toni's brother and Ann Eiffel do.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

So is she somehow targeting the main cast family or is it just a side effect of market trends in the mass murder food industry?

I think she's specifically told her staff to kill rabbits because she hates Kevin, but if she kills him (or tells anyone to directly) then that would be murder because she knows him.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Hi and Lois

Judge Parker

Mary Worth

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Alley Oop is the latest comic to get a reboot. It's about a time travelling caveman. The new version starts today.

George Gene Gustines posted:

A new creative team, the writer Joey Alison Sayers and the artist Jonathan Lemon, will chronicle the exploits of the title hero six days a week, Monday through Saturday. On Sundays, they will tell the story of Li’L Oop, a new preteen version of Alley Oop that will focus on his early middle-school years.

B.C.

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

Reality Check

I just can't get over this. Not only is it a dumb joke that has been made approximately seventy-trillion times, but the author also doesn't know what antipasto is and didn't bother to look it up. Or rather, seems to have confused it with pesto.

Reply All

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Mopey Pete and Darin vs. a G-g-g-GIRL!

A female character, you say? Hmm, it's never been tried before, but it might just work. We'd better get another opinion though. What would a woman think of this idea, I wonder? Will she find the idea too shocking? Too revolutionary?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

Are you sure we're still getting preteen Alley Oop? Because this just looks like regular old Alley Oop to me, and I'm not really sure how middle school drama is supposed to be worked into a comic with a premise as straightforward as just punching dinosaurs.
This is regular Alley Oop. Li'l Oop is basically a separate comic that runs on Sundays while the main, adult Alley Oop runs the others six days. We won't see the first Li'l Oop till next week.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CommonShore posted:

:wtc: did genteel old fred basset join a gang?

I think he's pretty much always been in a gang. He's a dog, and was created at a time when a pet dog would be allowed and expected to wander the streets at will, getting into (among other things) fights with other dogs.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Alley Oop

Dustin

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

Judge Parker

Reply All

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Heathcliff is a robot? That would explain a lot.

Brutal.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This is terrible. Why is the other man asking him how much he's lost after seeing him buy and start eating a snack? The first panel should show the other man buying a snack, the second panel should just be the first dialogue balloon of the actual second panel and show the two of them standing equidistant from the vending machine and a third panel should be added containing Ed's final line of dialogue and showing him standing in front of the machine about to buy his own snack.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens
No one in this comic has any regard at all for privacy - their own or other people's. If someone told me half way through a conversation that they'd been broadcasting it to all our friends I would probably be too shocked to even be angry. It's just an incomprehensible act.

Selachian posted:

Still Bruce Tinsley
This seemingly pervasive idea that university lecturers are intolerant of opposing views is just bizarre to me. In my experience the opposite is true. No matter how dumb or ill-informed a viewpoint they will never, ever just say it's wrong or refuse to hear it out. Even to the detriment of everyone else in the class who just want to hear the rest of the lecture and go home.

The closest to this "intolerant leftist" I've ever seen was one guest speaker who, during the Q&A section at the end, was quite aggressive in pushing for one student to justify her incredibly stupid ideas. Like, not even telling her she was wrong, more just "Why do you think that's a good idea? What thought process led you to this conclusion?"

Cicadalek posted:

Didn't Holbrook have a previous storyline about a carnivore who became a sheep or whatever and treated it as a clumsy analogue to transgender issues? That makes this most recent comic uh, really loving gross.
It's not really any worse than the stuff Marvel does, like using mutants as an analogy for LGBT issues. It's really hard to make the case that it's a completely unfounded hatred of people who pose no threat to anyone when those people shoot uncontrollable laser beams out of their eyes.

PetraCore posted:

There's lots of pictures of deer getting caught going to town on dead birds or rabbits, and ngl, even knowing it's a thing it'd probably be pretty unsettling to just stumble on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnYNmGMsU18

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Alley Oop

Bo Nanas

Judge Parker

Office Hours

Mary Worth

The Pajama Diaries

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

This, for those who don't know, this is the "creativity" and "artwork" she loves so much:
Hey, you can't deny that it's creative. Whether it's perspective, the shapes of everyday objects, or the use of basic elements of grammar, there's no end to McPherson's creativity. Actually, that's one of the least "creative" examples of his work I've seen lately.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Alley Oop

Family Circus

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

Judge Parker

Reply All

Ziggy

Strontium posted:

random Intelligent Life
Does Reddick know any women at all?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Dick Tracy

So there's no puzzle for the readers to solve? Wasn't that supposedly the whole point of these "Minit Mystery" things? What even was this?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Apparently a Minit Mystery is now one where they just tell the story much too fast?

How is that any different from what they normally do?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I've been wondering for a while why Dustin keeps going to whatever this place is. If it were Australia I'd assume it was a mandatory job network meeting but presumably that's not a thing in America. Is he paying her? What is the supposed purpose of these meetings? Does he have to keep showing up for some reason? Neither of them ever seems to get any value from it.

I'm not sure how old Elizabeth is supposed to be at this point, but clearly way too young to be cooking unsupervised.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I've never understood what's supposed to be so "enigmatic" about that picture. She's just smiling. In a pretty unremarkable way. :shrug:

Luxrage posted:

Rose is Rose / Word for Word
Another thing I don't get: This Rose is Rose.

Luxrage posted:

The Far Side
Or this Far Side. What's the thing he's tapping?

Luxrage posted:

Tumbleweeds / B.C.
No idea what the joke in this BC is supposed to mean either. :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

manero posted:

He’s checking the coin return for change.

So what's the joke?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Huxley posted:

Superman can probably squeeze diamonds out of coal with his bare hands, so checking for change is pretty srtange!

Also, he normally is in a hurry doing the phone booth thing, and absent-mindedly checking the coin return doesn't really fit the moment.

Oh, is that actually supposed to be Superman? I honestly just assumed it was someone wearing a Superman T-shirt.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Alley Oop

Bizarro

Brevity

I don't get it.

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

Judge Parker

Li'l Little Oop

Mary Worth

Pluggers

What's a "light bill"?

Reply All

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

The joke is that she's using the printed utility bill she received in the mail (also something likely on its way out) as a bookmark. I think everyone has used a piece of mail as a bookmark before.
Oh, yeah, that part I got. I've even done the thing where I used something as a bookmark that I wanted to keep and then automatically threw it out when I finished the book. I've just never heard anyone refer to their electricity (or gas) bill as a "light bill".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Millennials grew up before smartphones existed, Scott. You're thinking of Gen Z.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Alley Oop

The Born Loser

Diamond Lil

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

Judge Parker

Marvin

Reply All

Safe Havens

Scary Gary

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Zereth posted:

And as we all know, Holbrook never, ever sits back and thinks about the implications of established worldbuilding.

Holbrook never thinks about the implications of anything. He literally has a thought and then draws it. Any time you start thinking "wait, doesn't that imply-" stop. You've already put way more thought into it than Holbrook did. It's all surface level. Scratch that away and you're left with nothing. There is absolutely no depth, no subtext, no layers. Any time he wants to make an analogy it's right there on the surface, signposted with flashing lights. If he's not being absolutely explicit about it it's not intentional and he wouldn't understand it if you explained it to him.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Alley Oop

The Argyle Sweater

The Buckets

Fred Basset

Judge Parker

Reply All

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I'm very confused by this. Why would Curtis think that was gross?

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'd like to complain about Luann too: hey, Tom? You're a piece of poo poo for having your new fling throw around authority with your daughter. I don't even care about Tiffany's expenses, but having Ann do it is just lovely. Grow a pair and talk to your daughter!
Also, you can't have an arrangement where you're paying her bills and then suddenly change that retroactively. If you decide she's old enough to pay for her own stuff now then you tell her that and have her return the card and then you pay the final bill. You can't agree to pay for something and then take it back after it's bought.

Why is "the dude from The Matrix" in a relationship with a small child?

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

it seems that being reliable is way more important than being good in newspaper comics...
Sure, but there's got to be someone out there who's reliable and at least moderately competent. And also not a climate-change denier.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Alley Oop

Animal Crackers

Close to Home

Fred Basset

Judge Parker

Reply All

Tiger

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

I mena once again that’s not even an ATTEMPTED joke!
Exactly. You're criticising it for not being something that it isn't trying to be. If it were trying to be funny then it would be failing very badly, but it isn't. You don't have to like it, but "it's not funny" isn't really a valid criticism.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

What is happening in this comic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Alley Oop