Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Getting stressed too much while job hunting makes the waiting time for callbacks after applications/interviews more agonizing and makes it more likely nerves will cause you to interview poorly. A good resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Don't think I've ever really heard much about all the supposed drama surrounding FooB's writer beyond that it's been mentioned that a lot of the comic is dragging in stuff from her own life, but every strip I've bothered to read of the comic makes it feel like FooB's writer is the sort of person who feels that having kids and starting a family is what women are supposed to do but also loathes children and raising kids probably made both her and the kids miserable.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

JethroMcB posted:

This kid can't say a word with three syllables correctly but she knows that Lindsay Lohan had substance abuse problems and is eager to shame her for them. gently caress off.

The kid also is shaming someone's substance abuse problems while living in a house where the kids treat "mom needs a glass of wine before hearing something that might upset her" as normal.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Or the comic is about the football Jets.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Potsticker posted:

All those great movies! Like genre, genre, and that mega blockbuster genre!

yeah but naturally I didn't watch anything terrible like genre typically marketed towards women

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

"Fi's personality is just soooo terrible" - person who has been poo poo-talking her behind her back to everyone they know

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

I think this the most I've laughed at a visual gag in this thread in awhile.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Huxley posted:

Sometimes I wonder if Dustin is trying to draw some kind of parallel between the kid and the dad of, like, a general family uselessness. That they're more alike than either of them is willing to admit and all the friction in their relationship builds out of the dad seeing so much of himself at that age (and thus invalidating his, "stop being lazy and work hard to succeed" advice) and the son seeing himself slowly turning into his dad, being terrible with women and generally just a lump.

If that's what the comic is trying to do, it needs to do so much more explicitly, I think. Give us a 2-3 week storyline where we get the theme REALLY hammered home. Otherwise it means I'm just reading more nuance into the strip than it deserves just because the art is good, and that makes me kind of bummed out.

Here's some of the writer's recent political cartoons if you want to get a better grasp of how he thinks:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Dustin really needs to get his narcolepsy treated.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

Perhaps he is an ugly nerdlinger.

It's that TA under a fake name.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I think he means in that the comic was meaning the movie which was about to release at that time and turned out to be complete poo poo.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

TofuDiva posted:

Hopefully this isn't too much of a derail, but does anybody know why comics are referencing Marie Kondo all of a sudden? She's been publishing and doing talk shows for years.

A lot of people probably just discovered her recently through the Netflix show that started in Janurary, or her appearance with I think Colbert's show last month.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze knows how human beings talk to each other.

There's already a million other things to dislike about Working Daze, which I already think is the maybe worst comic in this thread, but in the time I've been skimming past the comic, this is the first strip I think I've seen with a dark-skinned character, and the first thing spoken about him is that he's constantly offended. gently caress this comic.

On a better note, I really love on in Phoebe and her Unicorn, her family is aware of and cool with her hanging out with a magical creature and that it's not the sort of thing where supernatural poo poo exists but somehow every adult is 100% oblivious to it.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Hi and Lois

Ffffffuck off.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Just Dan Again posted:

I had to check to see if this one was an edit, because 9,000 years sounds... pretty old? Like, older than recorded history old? I guess it's not a lot compared to eternity but c'mon.

Here's what it comes from. Simulating on a sufficiently large population sample year by year using year by year death statistics of the most common unnatural deaths, then taking the average year of death for each member once the entire population dies off.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Holbrook's piss fetish rears its head again.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

Thanks, I hate it.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hmm, top 5...

- Arlo and Janis
- Jamal
- Ballard Street :rip:
- Everett True
- Mopsy

with a bonus mention to classic Garfield

Replace Ballard with Neko and that would probably be my list too. BCN, Wallace, Phoebe all pretty good too. New-Nancy was up there for a while but it's been dragging pretty hard since the robotics club stuff ended.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

kidcoelacanth posted:

The worst comic in this thread is either Luann or Working Daze, depending on whichever one of the two I have most recently seen.

Luann, Working Daze, Foob, Fast track, 9CL, Dustin, Dilbert tend to compete for that spot for me. Pros and Cons and the other Holbrook ones giving them good competition.

I agree with the poster who earlier stated they hate Fast track the most of the Holbrook comics. At least stuff sort of happens in the others, and Dethany is just like the worst embodiment of the "I'm into dark stuff and wear black so I'm much more interesting than normal people" mindset.

The other bad ones my eyes just kind of slide off of.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

amigolupus posted:

At least you have to give Gunther a little credit for his honesty - honesty of being a complete moron, that is. :doh:

Gotta wonder how Team Evans is gonna spin this so Gunther comes out sympathetic in the end.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

One Big Happy is way up (down?) there as well.

And we're including Intelligent Life by default, right?

I forgot about OBH but yeah it's down there, especially any strip with judgmental classist grandpa. Intelligent Life I forget exists the moment I'm not looking at it, probably as some sort of sanity-defense system.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i've finally pinned down why elly hugging mike bothered me so much. it's one of those things abusive parents do to anger you and make you think "see? see? it's not so bad living here!". a traditionally caring gesture is used as a weapon.

it's both gaslighting and basically the equivalent of bugs bunny kissing elmer fudd to piss him off

foob is the story of an abusive parent written by - and in the defense of - the abusive parent

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Angry_Ed posted:

It's been kinda covered already but basically cash registers in retail stores do not start the day flush with cash (and in the case of places like convenience stores, are constantly depositing money in the store safe to discourage robbery). Usually $100-$200 in change consisting of small bills (maybe one $10 and a $20) and coins. Some rear end in a top hat customer buying a $1 item with a $100 bill already fucks that up so you have to then go to the drop safe (or the admin office) and get change from that and it's a whole time-consuming mess especially on weekends when it's often busy first thing in the morning.

Source: Worked various retail jobs for over a decade :sigh:. On the plus side now whenever I pay with cash I always try to get as close to the total as possible or pay with smaller bills because I know what it's like to deal with being short on 1s and 5s and whatnot.

I tend to work when we have a skeleton crew and the manager is not available to even go to the safe, so I've resorted to just asking regulars a few times if they could pay with certain denominations if they have them so I could have more in my register.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Yeah I wonder when that happened. I assume it was when Jim Davis stopped producing them himself.

The strip just exists at this point out of inertia because it's the backbone of all the other brand merchandise. I doubt relatively that many people even read the strip anymore, but "Garfield strip ends" isn't a news headline they'd want out there.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Green Intern posted:

Holy poo poo, Kevin and Kell. You don’t get to unearth a conspiracy to catch and murder a class of people when the entire premise of the comic is based on that fact.

The only moral mass murdering company is MY mass murdering company.

Also every Rose is Rose strip with the baby's speech style in it is the worst.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Potsticker posted:

(Though I'm sure Millennials relate as well.)

Part of the problem it has here is that the primary perspective character is a store manager, so it also ends up punching down at regular employees now and then.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

duz posted:

Normally the elementary school janitor taking one of the students off into the woods alone is cause for concern.

Considering it's definitely a strip that wishes it was Calvin and Hobbes, I assume the janitor is actually just an imaginary friend or something.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

readingatwork posted:

The problem with Daddy Daze is that he takes the “my child is a perfect little miracle” sentiment and runs with it uncritically. The comic really has nothing interesting to say about fatherhood and isn’t well made enough to fall back on its art or humor.

it's the fatherhood equivalent of like, some of the relationship-based comics I have only ever seen as facebook shares

I don't really dislike Daddy Daze though in the context of this thread, I guess because it stands in contrast to like, OBH or FOOB's families, and I'd rather read "Ba Ba" a million times than try to parse a single word balloon from the baby in Rose is Rose.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

readingatwork posted:

what if Daddy Daze but occasionally other people would try to kidnap and sell the baby as meat? :thunk:

Would the dad treat this as horrifying and evil while supporting his ex-wife's competing business of kidnapping and selling other babies as meat?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

How far back are we going for original intentions? The storyline where the socially awkward assistant manager becomes history's greatest monster for tricking Stuart and Marla into giving him a raise is way worse than anything I've seen recently. That must have been years ago.

I missed this, which I should feel thankful for.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Green Intern posted:

That might be my most hated 9 Chickweed Lane, holy poo poo.

it's in close contention with the "courtship of edda" one of the two babies in their cribs

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Christ can one of these characters we are supposed to like not snark at Tiffany one loving time?

Tiffany is the only character during the time I've been following the strip when posted who actually tries to set goals and better herself in any capacity, and also the most consistently poo poo on character in the strip during that span.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Poorly. Mothra was explicitly female

"references that recent thing, poorly" is probably a perfect summation of every working daze strip

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I think it's supposed to raise the question of why is she with him and it certainly does. It's a valid question so often.

"He's really good in bed" is the explicitly shown reason.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I still hate it just for the way it write the younger child's speech.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Noticed that this one comes immediately after a strip of showing Dustin to again be the only nice person in the series to remind us that Dustin is a loser to deserves to be poo poo on.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

I see it's Don Hertzfeldt's turn to do guest strips.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

You're right, Gunther. It WOULD be pretty bad if anybody thought you were physically attracted to your girlfriend.

I've only really followed this thread/Luann over like, the past year, so never saw the high school era stuff of it but like, for as much as the narrative/authors still seem to apparently dislike Tiffany at points, she's been pretty easily the best person in the strip for as far as I've followed it. Especially compared to people like Bernice who the authors weirdly do seem to treat as a "good" character.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Haifisch posted:

I don't think there's any combination of words in the English language that can describe my face after seeing Holbrook possibly gearing up to do a storyline about TERFs.

Remember like 2-3 arcs ago when they stole that trans rat's medication or whatever to torment her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Selachian posted:

Yeah, I think in Holbrook's mind the difference is that Angelique is supposed to be disguised, while Bruno was explicitly created as a metaphor for trans issues. Even if they're basically the same process, he sees them as two different things.

And doesn't have the awareness that accusations of the former are made against trans people all the time.